Wish

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Wish

Post by Farerb »

UmbrellaFish wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:31 am But why wouldn’t the star be non-binary?? Stars are non-binary in real life.
The Star might be non binary, but do you really think that is enough in terms of representation?
When people want representation, they mean actual people, not "things". In addition, a star is not non binary in many languages like Spanish, French, Hebrew, etc...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I understand what you’re getting at, I’m just trying to point out that it’s silly to assign a sex or gender to a star.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:13 am No. I referred to the one who's too old. I also think that the younger one, "Sleepy", is one of Asha's friends.
OK, then I understood you correctly the first time.
Farerb wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:13 am I don't think the Star is the non binary character, I think it'll be a cop out on Disney's part and they'll be called out on it and I believe that Disney knows it. In my opinion, one of Asha's friends is non binary, perhaps "Grumpy"?
Oh, I think you might be right! I actually doubted whether that character was a boy or a girl the first time I saw the still. Grace Randolph is the one who said she had heard there would be a genderfluid character in the movie. She thought it could be the star, but that was just her guess. I agree the star wouldn't be considered real representation. Now that we know Asha has a group of friends, one of them makes much more sense.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I was listening to this lyric video of Asha's song, and the part in bold below made me wonder if she could be singing this song to someone who has passed away, like maybe her father, and that's why she's looking at the stars. What do you guys think? Could that be the case?
THIS WISH

Isn't truth supposed to set you free?
But why do I feel so weighed down by you?
If I could show them everything I've seen,
Open their eyes to all the lies then,
Would they change their minds like I did?
But when I speak they tell me "Sit down."
But how can I when I've already started running?
Oh, this is where we've been, but it's not where we belong
And I may be young, but
I know I'm not wrong

So I look up at the stars to guide me
And throw caution to every warning sign
If knowing what it could be is what drives me
Then let me be the first to stand in line
So I make this wish
To have something more for us than this
So I make this wish
To have something more for us than... this!
Hey-yaaa! Hey-yaaaaaa! More than this, ohhh no!

I never knew I needed room to grow
Yeah I did what I was told cause someone told me "No."
Now I got all of this freedom in my bones,
But I still got the lid on so it doesn't overflow
Cause I've got reservations and hesitations on where I should even begin!
I'm past dipping my toes in, but I'm not, no,
I'm not past diving in!
If I can just be pointed in any given direction
On where to go and what to do
My legs are shaking
But my head's held high
The way you always taught me to

So I look up at the stars to guide me
And throw caution to every warning sign
I'm sure there will be challenges that find me
But I can take them on one at a time!
So I make this wish
To have something more for us than this
So I make this wish
Hey-yaaa! Hey-yaaaaaa! More than this, ohhhhhhh!

So I make this wish
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't think we heard this description before:
https://twitter.com/TheEricGoldman/stat ... SFeog&s=19
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Reading the lyrics to This Wish I thought of the song Where Is It Written? from one of my favorite musicals, Yentl from 1983.
Do any of you know the song? Do you get the same feeling?
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

carolinakid wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:02 am Reading the lyrics to This Wish I thought of the song Where Is It Written? from one of my favorite musicals, Yentl from 1983.
Do any of you know the song? Do you get the same feeling?
I actually never heard of that song.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

No te preocupes! There are lots of songs I haven’t heard of either. I’m a big Streisand fan!
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Well, having gone through all the different formats that Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 was shown in, even RealD 3D, it looks like we won’t see the trailer for Wish on the big screen until The Little Mermaid comes out.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Just saw the first TV spot for Disney's Wish on ABC's American Idol's Disney Night episode.

Also, check out this magnificent illustrated poster for Wish that was made: https://twitter.com/SanjayCreates/statu ... 80610?s=20.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That was the first I'd seen Wish on a TV screen rather than YouTube. It looked even more gorgeous than before. The details of the hair in the side shot at the end are just... *chef's kiss* The song may be growing on me. At least I liked what we hear of it more than I did the first time? We'll see.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:48 pmJust saw the first TV spot for Disney's Wish on ABC's American Idol's Disney Night episode.
Really? Cool :) Was there some new shots on that Spot?
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:34 am
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:48 pmJust saw the first TV spot for Disney's Wish on ABC's American Idol's Disney Night episode.
Really? Cool :) Was there some new shots on that Spot?
No
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Look what I found. Video of the 1st 1-minute TV spot, which aired during the penultimate episode of ABC’s #AmericanIdol, Walt Disney Animation Studios’ #Wish, only in theaters this Thanksgiving: https://youtu.be/bsH91YfaJys.

Good job on marketing #Wish early, Disney.

Now, make sure you keep it up throughout the rest of the year until its release as this is THE grand centerpiece finale to the big celebration of #Disney100 that could be as big as #Frozen at the global box office. It needs all the 3 trailers, multiple TV spots, and all the attention it deserves w/ special pop-up tours on the film.

Basically, it needs more and more marketing.

Also, PLEASE, Bob Iger, PLEASE give it an IMAX release as well. Since it’s being released in the same aspect ratio that #LaLaLand and the original #SleepingBeauty were in, it would be nice if you gave this an IMAX release (along with multiple sing-along engagements of the movie too) so that Wish has enough time to leg out from late November til late February until Disney and Pixar’s #Elio hits theaters on March 1st, 2024.

Thank you. See you all in November for the long-awaited, much-desired, big return to Disney Renaissance-era-style storytelling.

P.S. I was lucky to see the trailer for Wish in front of two showings of The Little Mermaid this weekend (Dolby Cinema 3D and IMAX). Did anyone else see the trailer for Wish in front of The Little Mermaid, too.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:40 am
P.S. I was lucky to see the trailer for Wish in front of two showings of The Little Mermaid this weekend (Dolby Cinema 3D and IMAX). Did anyone else see the trailer for Wish in front of The Little Mermaid, too.
It played in front of my screening as well. It was my sister's first time seeing the trailer. She's a huge Chris Pine fan, and when I told her it was him narrating, she got real excited.

Anyways, I also hope they pull out all the stops for marketing this film. They've been really lax on that for their animated films these last couple years (both WDAS and Pixar), but given that they're billing this as their culminating achievement for the 100 year celebration, they might put some thought into it. They've already dropped a teaser way earlier than they would for other films. Maybe it'll translate to box office revenue, and that'll carry on through to their upcoming animated output.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

PatchofBlue wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:43 am
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:40 am
It played in front of my screening as well. It was my sister's first time seeing the trailer. She's a huge Chris Pine fan, and when I told her it was him narrating, she got real excited.

Anyways, I also hope they pull out all the stops for marketing this film. They've been really lax on that for their animated films these last couple years (both WDAS and Pixar), but given that they're billing this as their culminating achievement for the 100 year celebration, they might put some thought into it. They've already dropped a teaser way earlier than they would for other films. Maybe it'll translate to box office revenue, and that'll carry on through to their upcoming animated output.
Let’s hope you’re right, PatchofBlue. Because with Pixar’s Elemental and Lucasfilm’s final Indiana Jones movie now looking all but certain to flop, thanks to mixed reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, Haunted Mansion (even if it’s good) likely bombing with a $150M budget, and The Marvels likely to barely break even (along with The Little Mermaid), if I were Bob Iger, I’d put all of Disney’s marketing resources entirely into Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Wish to ensure it caps off a very rough 100th year at the box office for Disney (outside of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3) on a high note with a global cume as big as either Big Hero 6, Moana, Zootopia, or Frozen.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I also saw the trailer before TLM. I'm in love with this movie so far, I hope it ends up being good. I don't know how much it'll make when it comes out, but I do feel like it's certain to be successful. At least Moana / BH6 level, but it would be nice if it managed to do as well as Zootopia and Frozen. I didn't even think about it in scope of the company as a whole, it would be very nice if the biggest win for them this year came out of WDAS--especially with them using a more Paperman-esque technique at that.

They also advertised the new Spider-verse sequel, I can't wait to see it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:39 pm I also saw the trailer before TLM. I'm in love with this movie so far, I hope it ends up being good. I don't know how much it'll make when it comes out, but I do feel like it's certain to be successful. At least Moana / BH6 level, but it would be nice if it managed to do as well as Zootopia and Frozen. I didn't even think about it in scope of the company as a whole, it would be very nice if the biggest win for them this year came out of WDAS--especially with them using a more Paperman-esque technique at that.
They can make Wish as big as Frozen by marketing it as hard as Universal did for The Super Mario Bros Movie or as hard as Disney marketed Frozen 2, Wreck-It Ralph 2, Zootopia, or Pixar’s Coco.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Amazon has uploaded the cover of the art book:

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^That's a nice concept art. We had already seen it, but in lower quality. The landscape reminds me a bit of Brave or The Secret of Kells.

Here's another book cover. I wonder why Star has decorated all the trees with that ribbon or whatever it is in this illustration.

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Suzanne-Francis/ ... ref=sr_1_9