Hocus Pocus 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Hocus Pocus 2

Post by D82 »

New still: https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/image ... ,2000,1334 (source)

I've now read the D23 article and there isn't any Poppy among the girls mentioned there. According to the article, the three friends are called Becca, Cassie and Izzy. I think the book synopsis might not be updated and be from an old version of the story. Poppy's name has probably been replaced for Becca, who seems to be the leader of the group. I wonder if she's still Max and Allison’s daughter or if that has also changed. The actress who plays Becca is Black, so if she's still their daughter, she must be adopted. Same with Izzy, if it was her, since she's Latina. Cassie is the only one who's White, but according to Wikipedia, she's the mayor's daughter, who is played by Tony Hale. So, unless the info on Wikipedia is not accurate, it can't be her.

By the way, the fact that there'll be child versions of the Sanderson sisters makes me fear they might try to make them sympathetic. I hope that's not the case. From what I remember, they were quite evil and menacing in the original and I'd prefer they stayed that way.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, hm, that Max and Allison's daughter thing is a conundrum!

I agree, I don't want the witches sympathetic, either. They were always pure evil in the original!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Come to think of it, they would've mentioned she was their daughter in the article if that was the case. Why hiding that detail? So, most likely she's not. We'll probably get the first full trailer for D23, so we'll soon find out.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New articles:

Billy Butcherson returns from the grave in Hocus Pocus 2 first look photo
https://ew.com/movies/hocus-pocus-2-bil ... ook-photo/

Omri Katz, Vinessa Shaw not returning for Hocus Pocus 2
https://ew.com/movies/hocus-pocus-2-omr ... returning/

Hocus Pocus 2 will explain the Sanderson Sisters' origins as children in the 1600s
https://ew.com/movies/hocus-pocus-2-wil ... s-origins/

Meet Cobweb, the Hocus Pocus 2 cat who's definitely not Thackery Binx
https://ew.com/movies/hocus-pocus-2-cat ... ery-binkx/

The second one reveals Max and Allison won't appear in the movie after all. Judging by the director's words, it sounds like the idea of one of the teenage girls being their daughter was dropped.
Sequel director Anne Fletcher (The Proposal) tells EW that they tried to weave the teens back into the story, but that "it was difficult" — even in a cameo capacity, which she feels might've been a distraction from the new movie's plot.

"We wanted to weave in all of the people that the fans loved, and when you sat back with all the ingredients and story, you're like, how do we make this work?" Fletcher explains. "It was very difficult to try to have them be a part of it, because we did talk about it — painstakingly. You're trying to stay on track with story, even if they came in as a cameo. People would say, 'They could be in the background!' and I'm like, really? You're going to put the leads of the first movie in the background and be satisfied? You're not going to be satisfied, you're going to be angry."
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

New poster released, one month until the movies premieres!

https://twitter.com/HocusPocusMovie/sta ... 3065006080
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Everything we know about Hocus Pocus 2: Billy's return, Drag Race queens, and Cobweb the cat
https://ew.com/movies/everything-we-know-hocus-pocus-2/
lord-of-sith wrote:New poster released, one month until the movies premieres!

https://twitter.com/HocusPocusMovie/sta ... 3065006080
I wonder if that means we'll get a new trailer tomorrow, or if they're saving it for D23.

By the way, after reading the article about the Sanderson Sisters' origins as children in the 1600s, I now think the reason they'll have flashbacks with them as children is to draw parallels between the three witches and the three teenage protagonists the same way the Aladdin remake, for example, did with Aladdin and Jafar.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

D82 wrote:By the way, after reading the article about the Sanderson Sisters' origins as children in the 1600s, I now think the reason they'll have flashbacks with them as children is to draw parallels between the three witches and the three teenage protagonists the same way the Aladdin remake, for example, did with Aladdin and Jafar.
If so, that's cool.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

You know what's really frustrating ? Trying to support this franchise when Disney really don't help themselves ....

Hocus Pocus has nothing on the shopdisney.co.uk site, bar a key thing. On their 'coming soon' page they have a holding image of a cool mug, and saying that Hocus Pocus bits will be available soon. Now the film is due this month, and there is still no update. The halloween stuff has already started, so I hopped on their online chat to ask when HP bits were coming, and they said, almost word for word, ' we don't know right now. Could guess at it being October ?'

I mean if you guys don't know and need to guess ..... ?! :?

You drum up interest beforehand surely ? This film is so hyped and so wanted, for sure you thought they'd be all over the marketing and products. I know Amazon UK have their own range which keeps selling out, and etsy is wild for Sanderson Sister items.

I don't know, just seems a bit peculiar to me. And very frustrating that the actual team doesn't know either ?!
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Atlantica wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:36 am You know what's really frustrating ? Trying to support this franchise when Disney really don't help themselves ....

Hocus Pocus has nothing on the shopdisney.co.uk site, bar a key thing. On their 'coming soon' page they have a holding image of a cool mug, and saying that Hocus Pocus bits will be available soon. Now the film is due this month, and there is still no update. The halloween stuff has already started, so I hopped on their online chat to ask when HP bits were coming, and they said, almost word for word, ' we don't know right now. Could guess at it being October ?'

I mean if you guys don't know and need to guess ..... ?! :?

You drum up interest beforehand surely ? This film is so hyped and so wanted, for sure you thought they'd be all over the marketing and products. I know Amazon UK have their own range which keeps selling out, and etsy is wild for Sanderson Sister items.

I don't know, just seems a bit peculiar to me. And very frustrating that the actual team doesn't know either ?!
I can't really speak for marketing in the UK, but I can confirm that marketing here in the states is kind of lack luster too. There are a lot of products here for the original film though, especially in Spirit Halloween which features a pretty big section of the store on Hocus Pocus and has sort of become an unofficial go-to spot for Hocus Pocus merch each season. In my opinion though, each of those products should have a little tag on them that says "Hey, look out for the sequel coming to Disney+". Seems like a huge lost opportunity. I think a lot of products here are also park focused since they are such a huge part of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween at Magic Kingdom.

Overall I agree that Disney seems to be really missing the boat on this. I think we should be seeing adds for this movie all over the place, but I see more for the original than this new sequel in the real world and only stuff from fans on social media.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New still, billboard and article:

Source: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertain ... 894249001/

Source: https://www.instagram.com/adamshankman/ (Instagram stories)

Omri Katz 'would have loved to be involved' in Hocus Pocus 2, praises sequel's 'new direction'
https://ew.com/movies/omri-katz-reacts- ... s-pocus-2/

By the way, I've just noticed the novel I posted about, in which the protagonist was Max and Allison's daughter, was released in 2018 and I guess has no relation to the Disney+ sequel, so sorry for all the misinformation. :oops: It appeared along with the new books when I searched for Hocus Pocus 2 products on Amazon; that's why I thought it was new. Plus, I didn't know Disney made sequels to their movies in novel form.

I find it curious, though, that that novel also had three teenagers as protagonists, though there it was two girls and a boy instead of three girls. According to a couple of reviews I've read, the book hinted at a romantic relationship between the two girls. Though, as I said, that novel has nothing to do with the new movie, I wonder if that will also happen here with two of the protagonists. I kind of got that impression from the trailer, although judging by the director's words in the interviews, it sounds like the three are just friends.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, it's ok D82! I'm really just glad to know they never were going to do that idea since I would have been sad they decided against it.

But why on Earth is there no full trailer yet? This thing comes out in just a few more weeks! And wasn't it just Disney+ Day?
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I'm so excited for this movie, part of me doesn't even want another trailer. Going in as blind as possible for this would be so much fun. I know that if another trailer is released, I don't *have* to watch it, but I don't know if I have that kind of willpower. Also I took September 30th off work so I can watch this at midnight :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney Duster wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:35 pmBut why on Earth is there no full trailer yet? This thing comes out in just a few more weeks! And wasn't it just Disney+ Day?
Last year some trailers or sneak peeks were released on Disney+ Day, so who knows, we might be getting it today. Though, I guess it's more likely they're saving it for tomorrow during D23.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

D82 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:42 am
Disney Duster wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:35 pmBut why on Earth is there no full trailer yet? This thing comes out in just a few more weeks! And wasn't it just Disney+ Day?
Last year some trailers or sneak peeks were released on Disney+ Day, so who knows, we might be getting it today. Though, I guess it's more likely they're saving it for tomorrow during D23.
Disney+ has a panel and I'm 100% certain that they are saving trailers for this, Disenchanted, and other projects coming over the next few months for then. It's too big of an opportunity to not release it this weekend.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

singerguy04 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:07 am Disney+ has a panel and I'm 100% certain that they are saving trailers for this, Disenchanted, and other projects coming over the next few months for then. It's too big of an opportunity to not release it this weekend.
Yeah, that's most likely the case. The fact that they're saving all these trailers that should've been released by now for the event makes me suspect there won't be too many new projects announced, though. But, I hope I'm wrong.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

D82 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:23 am Yeah, that's most likely the case. The fact that they're saving all these trailers that should've been released by now for the event makes me suspect there won't be too many new projects announced, though. But, I hope I'm wrong.
I can't remember everything that was announced the last time they did this panel (I think Hocus Pocus 2 was one), but I don't anticipate there being much outside of what we already know about. I think we'll get trailers for everything announced that should have trailers by now (Hocus Pocus 2, Disenchanted, the new National Treasure Series, upcoming Star Wars and Marvel stuff) and maybe those attending will be able to see some "Sneak Peek" footage from those projects. Then they'll end it with a few title cards of upcoming stuff that we haven't seen yet but know are coming, like Hunchback. I'll be pleasantly surprised if anything comes out of the blue.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

singerguy04 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:09 pm I can't remember everything that was announced the last time they did this panel (I think Hocus Pocus 2 was one), but I don't anticipate there being much outside of what we already know about. I think we'll get trailers for everything announced that should have trailers by now (Hocus Pocus 2, Disenchanted, the new National Treasure Series, upcoming Star Wars and Marvel stuff) and maybe those attending will be able to see some "Sneak Peek" footage from those projects. Then they'll end it with a few title cards of upcoming stuff that we haven't seen yet but know are coming, like Hunchback. I'll be pleasantly surprised if anything comes out of the blue.
At first, I thought the event would be bigger than usual this time since they couldn't make it last year due to the pandemic and it's the studio's 100th anniversary, but they've revealed stuff at several events since the last expo, like the Disney Investor Day, last Disney+ Day or more recently at Comic-Con, for example, so I agree there probably won't be many completely new projects announced. But I think at least the next WDAS film after Strange World will be revealed, and maybe the next Pixar one after Elemental. As for live-action, there might not be totally new ones, since there are a lot already announced, but we'll see. They are producing a lot of stuff for Disney+ recently, so maybe some that are going to the service are. Anyway, I'm looking forward to several of the projects we already know about (like Disenchanted, for example), so even if they don't announce too many brand new titles, it'll still be exciting.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

My husband said this looks like "Disney Channel quality," (in a negative way) but I think this looks so fun. "Amuck, amuck, amuck!". :pink:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This looks OK. It's quite disappointing the new kids are not related to the ones from the original and that they won't be making an appearance in the film.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage