Encanto

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Encanto

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Thanks, Disney's Divinity-- that does make sense! I forgot to mention that that scene (the "refugee scene," if you will, with "Dos Oruguitas" playing), is one of the most moving scenes in Disney animation, at least for me. It definitely got my tears flowing.

Farerb, I'd guess that Jared is hoping that there will be a Disney+ series, like he's trying to get their attention, like "Hey, D+! Give the people what they want!"

Oh, for those people who've seen the film: what is your take on the significance of the butterflies? Is it spiritual? The first time Alma and Pedro laid eyes on each other was because of a butterfly, when Alma and Mirabel "made up," to just use simple terms, there were lots of butterflies. Like butterflies are watching out for fhe family, guiding them in a way?
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Here we are!: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl1887208961/

40M domestically on the Thanksgiving weekend (5 days)
29M internationally

That's a descent opening weekend and the best I think for an animated movie since the pandemic started.

(Yet since the beginning of the month I expected it to make a little bit better, something closer to the 45M - 50M range in comparison of another recent opening weekends..)
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Oh, for those people who've seen the film: what is your take on the significance of the butterflies? Is it spiritual?
The way the movie portraits it it is opened to interpretation, but here are two other things that are noticeable in the movie:

• The butterfly appears where an Encanto is, like where the miracle happened for Alma her family and community since Pedro sacrified himself for them. The place kept being enchanted since then.
• The butterfly can be seen symbolically like the gift Mirabel never had. What hints to see things this way are the pattern embroidered on the clothes of each of the family members. Like Bruno who has hourglasses, Julieta with the mortar and the pestle inside, Luisa with the dumbbells, Dolores who has sound waves, Camilo with the chameleons ...Mirabel has butterflies :D

..oh and Alma has the burning flame of the candle.

blackcauldron85 wrote:The first time Alma and Pedro laid eyes on each other was because of a butterfly, when Alma and Mirabel "made up," to just use simple terms, there were lots of butterflies. Like butterflies are watching out for fhe family, guiding them in a way?
Yes. Overall it is used as a symbol of love in this film. Simple as that (...and maybe destiny too since it also appears in Bruno's vision.)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, the butterfly definitely symbolizes love here. You could go from there--does it symbolize *Pedro's* love for them, their love for one another (general familial love), or a religious significance? I'll leave it there, the viewer can interpret it however they decide. The butterfly is a general symbol for transformation, resurrection, hope, transfiguration, etc.

Anyway, the butterfly does appear to Mirabel when the candle had already went out. I took its appearance as a message to her that the love that caused the miracle in the first place can't really go out or "die," which is how she had the faith to know that simply putting the house back together would bring the candle's flame and their gifts back.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Thanks you two!!

So the massive amounts of butterflies at the "make up" scene = massive familial love...

So is it safe to say that Mirabel's gift is love for her family?

https://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/co ... not_get_a/

https://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/co ... et_a_gift/

Or not, and she legit has no gift:

Encanto’s directors talk the movie’s big mystery
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/20 ... abel-magic

Why could only Mirabel see the cracks/destruction of Casita? A vision? Selective seeing? Casita granting her the ability?
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

blackcauldron85 wrote: So the massive amounts of butterflies at the "make up" scene = massive familial love...

So is it safe to say that Mirabel's gift is love for her family?

Or not, and she legit has no gift
Because the miracle saw in her the love and care she would later carry for her family, and therefore foresees her as the new Abuela/Alma of a next generation ..then the door has to disappear and the miracle would not grant her a gift. Because there are quite a few similarities because Alma and Mirabel. And also a lot of disparities mostly in their behaviour and the way they choose to be towards others, which justifies why the conflict at the end is between them and why it is being used as this movie's climax and finale.
blackcauldron85 wrote: Why could only Mirabel see the cracks/destruction of Casita? A vision? Selective seeing? Casita granting her the ability?
You seem to forget Bruno's SUPER skills to fix cracks when they appeared in Casita's walls... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!
I don't know if it can fully be called a vision since the wound on Mirabel's hand is indeed real, as shown later in the movie.
blackcauldron85

Clindor wrote:Because the miracle saw in her the love and care she would later carry for her family, and therefore foresees her as the new Abuela/Alma of a next generation ..then the door has to disappear and the miracle would not grant her a gift. Because there are quite a few similarities because Alma and Mirabel. And also a lot of disparities mostly in their behaviour and the way they choose to be towards others, which justifies why the conflict at the end is between them and why it is being used as this movie's climax and finale.
So if the miracle/gift didn't go away due to what goes on in the film, Mirabel may have become just like Abuela? She tried so hard all these years to help out her family, and maybe one day she'd just give up, and the miracle would have gone away?
Clindor wrote:You seem to forget Bruno's SUPER skills to fix cracks when they appeared in Casita's walls... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!
I don't know if it can fully be called a vision since the wound on Mirabel's hand is indeed real, as shown later in the movie.
I remember he had the tool to fix the cracks but by the emojis, I think you're not implying that he went around the house to quickly repair them? And you're right- didn't Mirabel even say something like this all has to be real since she got cut?

Thanks so much for helping me understand these things!!
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Clindor wrote:Because the miracle saw in her the love and care she would later carry for her family, and therefore foresees her as the new Abuela/Alma of a next generation ..then the door has to disappear and the miracle would not grant her a gift. Because there are quite a few similarities because Alma and Mirabel. And also a lot of disparities mostly in their behaviour and the way they choose to be towards others, which justifies why the conflict at the end is between them and why it is being used as this movie's climax and finale.
So if the miracle/gift didn't go away due to what goes on in the film, Mirabel may have become just like Abuela? She tried so hard all these years to help out her family, and maybe one day she'd just give up, and the miracle would have gone away?
No, sorry if I wasn't clear, but things go the other way around actually. If Mirabel received a gift, she wouldn't have been so much of an outsider to her own family (she would have been a normal girl in an extraordinary family) AND she couldn't have been so much of a link between the members of her family. The miracle works because of love. The miracle started with Alma because of the love she felt for Pedro when he sacrified himself to save her and his children and community. But over the years, Alma lost her ways because of the trauma she's been through. She cannot be the same as any also member of her family and fell involuntarily into the habit of exploiting the miracle, seeking how to use it at best. The miracle would have gone away if it was only for Alma. And then enters Mirabel who is pure at heart, in part because she hasn't a tragic past such as Alma has (who lost her husband at a very young age without any replacement when they just started founding a family). Mirabel has to become someday the new leader of her family (replacing Alma) and in order to revive the magic ...and to facilitate this, the miracle didn't grant her a gift.

She already has her own "gift" inside her.
Last edited by Clindor on Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote:Does Jared Bush imply there'll be a Disney+ series?
One of the producers, Clark Spencer, has also hinted at a Disney+ series based on the film.
Q: I know I’m going to be making all my family watch it on Christmas Day. Is there going to be any further adventures of the family, because I’d love to see that at some point.

Clark Spencer: One of the amazing things about Disney+ is it gives us that opportunity to extend our stories, to bring characters and worlds back to the audience, but also emotionally, it lets us do it ourselves because one of the hardest things in making a movie, you spend five years creating these stories and these films, is to say goodbye. Right now, as Encanto gets released to the world, it’s that moment, bittersweet, which is we’re excited to share with the world, but we also know it’s the end of our journey, but with Disney+ it doesn’t have to be, and that is the exciting thing. When I look at what we’re currently creating for Disney+, we have Zootopia+ we have Baymax, so coming from the world of Zootopia and coming from the world of Big Hero 6. We have Tiana and Moana, both long-form series with music that just is going to be fantastic. We get that chance again. We get the opportunity to revisit these characters and these stories that we love so deeply and hopefully, let our audience get to experience them again, too.
Source: https://whatsondisneyplus.com/encanto-p ... interview/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I feel like Mirabel not receiving powers had almost nothing to do with /her/ and everything to do with Alma. The source of the powers clearly wanted Alma to open her eyes and recognize again that the people in her family were the real miracle, not the powers they were being given as a gift / blessing. In a way, Alma was trying to usurp the candle / house's role and protect the family even though it's not her function to do that. She became too focused on the power of the gifts as if they are the real miracle.

That's why I could sort of see the house giving Mirabel a gift in, say, a sequel. The house wasn't attempting to punish her in any way, but used her to repair the family that had become off-kilter because of Alma's mistakes.

Oh, you know for sure there will be a Disney+ series for Encanto. There's zero doubt of that, imo.
blackcauldron85

Clindor & Disney's Divinity, thank you-- those explanations make sense!

Yes, Disney+ series please!!!
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Oh, you know for sure there will be a Disney+ series for Encanto. There's zero doubt of that, imo.
Indeed

Saw it a second time in theaters and it remains as good if not even better than the first time :D (as it is very often the case with the second viewing of very good films.) I love every part of it :)! and definitively one of the best of the revival era imo: Put it up there with Frozen and The Princess and the Frog !

If it wasn't for that stupid rise of the omicron variant, I would have completely been open to go see it a third and fourth time on the big screen before its release on Disney+ :D :D that's how much I liked it :D
Last edited by Clindor on Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney's Encanto is coming to 4K and Blu-ray on February 8th, 2022.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

• Bruno has now gotten a character poster in the style of the others:

Source: https://twitter.com/EncantoMovie/status ... 9185377286

• Here are also a couple of posters inspired by the movie:

Image Image
Sources:
https://twitter.com/EncantoMovie/status ... 9678394370
https://twitter.com/EncantoMovie/status ... 4808722434

• First FYC ads:

Image Image Image
Source: https://www.nextbestpicture.com/disney-fyc-gallery.html

• Disney has released the full opening song, "The Family Madrigal": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp5nPGWWMh4

• I think this clip from "We Don't Talk About Bruno" hasn't been posted either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65fdSXEfrWA

• Sebastián Yatra's full performance of "Dos Oruguitas" at Disneyland for ABC's "The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration" special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsxURkrhf6s

Promo featuring the Japanese version of "Dos Oruguitas" and the full song.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

OMG guys guys I LOVED THIS MOVIE! Ive been obsessed with it for about a week! :o Loved so many of the characters. Love how many parts of it was filmed almost like it was a stage musical and the other parts were like time stands still while Mirabel is singing. Which is weird b/c I really only liked half the songs. WDTAB was the standout of course but I also liked Waiting For A Miracle. Isabela's song and some of the others were ok. The only one I didn't really like was Surface Pressure, I think it went on too long and was all over the place. (The Family Madrigal was kinda like that too but I liked that one bit better.) I liked the music and songs for Moana and the Frozen films much more, but the other songs might grow on me with repeated viewings, as does tend to happen with me often.

anyway I haven't been this into a Disney animated film since the first Frozen but Im worried it just isn't gonna be as popular as that with the average public, although its already huge with the Twitter/Tumblr crowd (Camilo and Bruno in one week have already amassed huge fangirl/boy followings...yes BRUNO!) :lol:

just curious what were all your favorite characters? Mine were:

Camilo-so cute, fun and I love his power... he's such a theater kid, lol!
Bruno- OMG this was such an unexpected surprise, just loved the guy, he was heartbreaking!
Pepa- I LOVED her, she's so fun and expressive!
Dolores-just cute!(everyone's so cute in this movie gaaaah)
Isabela-I loved that they let her be slightly antagonistic and bitchy, I figured theyd just make her nice b/c of reluctance to show any female characters in a negative light.
Antonio- just adorable with all those lovely animals...
young Alma and Pedro- heartbreaking, also really loved their design
and then everybody else!

My niece said she wants to see it so I might watch it a second time soon. I wish there was better merchandise, Im kinda underwhelmed with whats available(and how little there is) by Jakks and Disney Store. I do want the dolls but I hope they make dolls of the other two cousins at least, Id also love dolls of Bruno and Pepa but I doubt they'll make them. I really wish this film would end up as popular as Frozen so we can get more content but I doubt that will happen, Frozen's massive popularity was such an anomly...
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

So glad to see your enthusiasm, unprincess. :-)

It'll be a while till I watch it. I found out it will be released in Malta in about a week's time. However, with the Covid-19 situation and emerging Omicron virus, I don't think it would be wise for me to visit the cinema right now.

I have watched a few YouTube clips, but not entirely. I watch just enough to satiate my thirst and then stop the video.

Of the very few bits I've seen, I was floored by the character animation. The characters move with a plasticity that is rare in CG animation. They animation manages to straddle the very fine line between realism and exaggeration. I am truly impressed.

Furthermore, I am seeing expressions on these characters' faces that you don't normally see in the average CG film. I have a feeling the character acting in this film will be elevated. I'm seeing SUBTLETIES in the facial animation. It's like the characters have their outward expression, but you can also sense their innermost thoughts which they don't actually mean to broadcast. These expressions may last just a fraction of a second, but long enough to register.

These short clips have made me a hundred times more interested in the film than I was prior.

EDIT: robster, I know you had reservations about the animation being too hyper and failing to "read." If you've since watched the film I'd love to know if your opinion has changed or remained the same. :)
Last edited by Jules on Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Clindor wrote:
Jules wrote: I've been unable to discuss the previous two WDAS films as I still haven't watched them. Guess Encanto will be the third. ☹
How comes you haven't watched Frozen II nor Raya and the Last Dragon Jules? :o I actually sympatize with your intention to watch each new WDAS movie at least once on a big screen first when available or reasonable, but still, other ways haven't been accessible for you since then?
Sorry for getting back so late, Clindor.

The reason I skipped Frozen II was an unusual one. It just so happened that I'd just set up a proper home theatre at home, and since I find cinema exhibition in Malta to be of a rather low standard, I made the decision to get the movie on 4K when it comes out, and watch it at home - where it'll certainly look and sound better than it would in the theatre. I felt "bad" because while I rarely frequent the cinema for the aforementioned reason, I normally make it a point to watch the annual WDAS film there. I guess it's more symbolic than anything. :P

Raya was supposed to come out in Malta last March. That was the time my country went into a semi-lockdown due to record numbers of Covid-19 cases. The film was exhibited later in the year (I believe it was in cinemas May/June and beyond) but I still didn't feel comfortable in a closed room with people I do not know (mask notwithstanding.)

Up till a month ago I was feeling safe enough to watch Encanto. However, as I'm sure you are aware, virus cases are spiralling out of control in Europe. It seems every country is affected, from large ones likes Germany and France, to tiny ones like Iceland and my own. And then Omicron came along. I guess I won't be returning to cinemas anytime soon. :P

However, I do actually own both "Frozen II" and "Raya" on 4K UHD.

"So why on EARTH haven't you watched them, if they're available at home!?", I can imagine you exclaiming to me in exasperation.

One word: OBSESSIONS

I want to watch the movies badly, but can't bring myself to do so before satisfying other "requirements" (which are too long to get into here.)

I love movies, but I don't really watch that many. I am certain most average folks without any particular love for film, consume film at a far higher rate than I do.

I suspect you won't feel so sympathetic towards me after what I just wrote. :embarrassed: Since clearly I am preventing myself from watching the movies, and there's no other hurdle involved.

Thanks for asking! :)

Here's an Encanto poster snapped on 26th November at my local cinema. I love how the local film distributors "subtly" covered the release date with a sticker since they clearly did not intend to release the film on the same day as the UK. :lol:

Disney's Divinity

I'm surprised Bruno is popular. I liked the story for him, but the character himself (voice, design, etc.) was unimpressive. My favorite characters were Luisa, Dolores, Camilo, Mirabel, and Alma. I liked what they did with Isabela even if I didn't actually like the character too much; Mirabel's father was cute. I didn't really care about any of the others.

I definitely do like the film, the way I like most Disney films prior to the Lasseter era, but I wouldn't put in my top faves the way I do TP&TF, Frozen, and Raya.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Hey guys, I'm not sure I'll be able to get to the cinema to watch this one, so I wondered if a Disney+ date has been announced yet ? Had a google but can't seem to find anything is all, wondered if anyone here would be in the know ... :)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Atlantica wrote:Hey guys, I'm not sure I'll be able to get to the cinema to watch this one, so I wondered if a Disney+ date has been announced yet ? Had a google but can't seem to find anything is all, wondered if anyone here would be in the know ... :)
Yes, a date has been announced. It'll be released on Disney+ on Christmas Eve. So, if you can't catch it in cinemas, you won't have to wait long to watch it there. :)