The Forum vs. Hannah Montana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

King Louis 2010 wrote:I haven't seen any of this show. Never been interested really. Do you think, as someone who has become a huge Disney fan in the last six months, I should give it a go, you know, for curoisity?
You should give it a chance.

Just watch one episode and maybe it's good for you.

I really love that show, it's so funny.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I accidentally caught just the intro to the show. I didn't know tv could be *that* bad. Seriously, I was going, like: "what the fuck...?" It was SO horrible, I kept thinking: "what is this shit?" and then it turned out to be Hannah Montannah. And remember: this was only the opening to the show...
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

http://tommy2.net/content/?p=18887
October 19th, Walt Disney Records will release the soundtrack to Hannah Montana Forever. Here’s the artwork.
http://tommy2.net/2010/hm4st.jpg
blackcauldron85

http://tommy2.net/content/?p=19372
Here’s the tracklist for the Hannah Montana Forever soundtrack

1. Gonna Get This
2. Que Sera
3. Ordinary Girl
4. Kiss It Goodbye
5. I’ll Always Remember You
6. Need A Little Love
7. Are You Ready
8. Love That Lets Go
9. I’m Still Good
10. Been Here All Along
11. Barefoot Cinderella
blackcauldron85

Re: The Forum vs. Hannah Montana

I just discovered that there was work done on a Hannah Montana anime show! So cool!

https://lostmediawiki.com/Hannah_Montan ... 2009-2010)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It's weird looking back in time. Hannah Montana sort of came the gen after me (Lizzie McGuire is what I grew up with as far as Disney's tween fodder goes). I didn't really like her back then, and even less so when she broke out from Disney. A lot of the craziness just came across as very opportunistic. I think it still was / is, but I guess I can't really blame her for playing the game. I actually like Miley Cyrus these days... I even think her voice has improved. Her vibrato used to annoy me, and she has a little more control over it these days.

I have the "Wrecking Ball" album (which I thought was pretty bad aside from WB, We Can't Stop, and Adore You)--I bought it back when I still didn't like her because I liked the song against my will--then I later bought the "Malibu" album for like $4 used because, you know, why not? :lol: And I liked her more by that point. I thought that album was better than the other one, really love "Younger Now" and the little Dolly Parton audio included on the track she wrote for her (I'm a much bigger fan of Dolly, own the majority of her albums). And I've actually been really looking forward to her new album because I loved "Mother's Daughter" and the EP she put out with "Unholy." It was supposed to be titled She Is Coming, but it looks like it's been delayed or cancelled now. :/ I've grown accustomed to the fact that usually when I start to like something / someone, it's like the kiss of death, and it's usually not long after that they're over. :lol: Same thing happened with Katy Perry. For the first time I actually had the urge to buy an album by her with my own money instead of waiting to get copies from other people (it was Witness and I really loved it myself, loved the mixture of Christian and feminist messages), and that's when she flopped. :lol:

I like Miley more as a personality than as an artist though. Her appearances on The Voice were the biggest impression that made me understand her as more than just a shock-value pop tart, but Kathy Griffin would tell some stories about her in her stand-up years ago that made me see her differently even before that because she sounded like a person with no airs. I think she's really nice, she just uses the shock value to push her music because that's what often works (Madonna, Britney, Gaga, etc.). I think she's really pretty, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
blackcauldron85

^Bangerz was the one full album of Miley's that I didn't buy (actually I still don't have HM4), but Younger Now is good. I've known about She Is Coming (I haven't bought the EPs; I have mixed feelings on them), so if they release it, I'll check it out first to see if I like it). I was 20 when Hannah Montana first aired, but I've always loved it- I think it's one of the funniest Disney Channel shows. And I love the music. I wish that anime had happened, though! I wonder if it would have used existing HM music, or if they would've had a Miley sound-alike making new music? I don't know that they would have wanted to invest a lot of $ on new music...maybe it only was going to air in Japan-- I have no idea.
Disney's Divinity

The idea of an anime for a Disney channel show is so odd that it's too bad it didn't actually come about. It's sort of like when I watched the anime version of Supernatural. It was very weird to experience the story that way somehow. :lol:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, I've given my opinion about the Hannah Montana craze, so I won't repeat it again.
Last edited by DisneyFan09 on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
blackcauldron85

^ I really enjoy the movie. I guess I tend to think of it as its own thing, because you're right, the continuity is a bit messed up. I'm still loving the movie's soundtrack all these years later.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Hannah Montana was what I grew up with and it was one of my favorite shows! I was absolutely obsessed. I think some episodes used to air in Europe earlier so I would watch them on YouTube where they were posted in full and that was back when YouTube was just starting out.

I didn't like Rico much either but I really loved Roxy lol. She was hilarious. And Jake Ryan was super cute and I liked him as a foil to Miley/Hannah up until he cheated on her in the last season. That was a real shame. I sorta lost interest by the final season but one character who I felt had no role halfway through the show was Oliver. In the early seasons, he was very much part of a trio with Miley and Lily and they were all practically inseparable but towards the end, it felt like Oliver was rarely ever there for any meaningful encounters except to get abused, physically and verbally.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

I was never really into Hannah Monatana as it aired. I did buy the first season's soundtrack along with Hannah Montana 2: Meet Miley Cyrus back when they were released for the singles that were popular (although I only ever listened to the Meet Miley Cyrus disc from the HM2 soundtrack). I didn't really pay Hannah Montana much attention after that era, until the movie came out and I went to see it with friends. I'm part of the generation who is right on that line between growing up on shows like Lizzie McGuire and That's So Raven, as well as Suite Life and HM.

I did enjoy the movie, and even the soundtrack! I must have spent an embarrassing amount of hours listening to Hoedown Throwdown. Again, after that my interest waned a bit, until I started to get into Miley Cyrus' music in early 2012. I picked up the Hannah Montana 3 and the Hannah Montana Forever soundtracks, and while there were a few songs I enjoyed on HM3, I found myself constantly listening to the Hannah Montana Forever soundtrack. I'll Always Remember You is still one of my favorite Miley Cyrus songs to date (yes, I count HM songs as Miley songs).

BANGERZ is my favorite Miley Cyrus album. Not a huge fan of Younger Now, and I don't care much for She Is Coming either. I am excited for She Is Miley Cyrus when it gets released!
UDer #3495 :D
blackcauldron85

^ RYAN!!! :pink:

How would you guys compare The Lizzie McGuire Movie to Hannah Montana: The Movie? I love Lizzie McGuire, & I was still a teenager when that aired...but I think because of the music, HM is one notch above. But Lizzie is so relateable...so I think I like the characters from Lizzie McGuire better, but because of the music, HM is my favorite.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I never really bought soundtracks but I used to buy all the High School Musical, Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus, and Camp Rocks soundtracks! I was the epitome of the Disney Channel fan everyone used to want to crucify on here back in the 2000s.

Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens were both a bit before my time. I certainly watched them, but I was too young to really understand or care for them so That's So Raven, Zack and Cody, and Hannah Montana were more the shows of my prime. I did however always love The Lizzie McGuire movie, even moreso than the Hannah Montana film which I never really care about watching. I actually prefer the music in Lizzie McGuire especially "This is What Dreams are Made of" which is one of my favorite songs ever.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I do find it fascinating that people of my age who grew up on the likes of Jett Jackson, Even Stevens and Lizzie McGuire would be snooty towards the mid-to-late 2000s Disney Channel shows and say "Disney's shows were so much better in my day." And now I see the generation that grew up with Hannah Montana, Zack & Cody, Sonny with a Chance, etc. looking back fondly on those shows and saying "Disney's shows were better in my day." It's a good lesson in not looking down at what the younger generation is watching and enjoying. Because if they're enjoying them, there's obviously something they're getting out of them.

I admit to being one of those people who didn't think highly of the mid-2000s Disney Channel sitcoms like Hannah Montana, although I was still able to recognise the quality in shows like Wizards of Waverly Place (I was rewatching random episodes on Disney+ a while back and yeah, that show is actually really clever and funny) and Good Luck Charlie.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

estefan wrote:I do find it fascinating that people of my age who grew up on the likes of Jett Jackson, Even Stevens and Lizzie McGuire would be snooty towards the mid-to-late 2000s Disney Channel shows and say "Disney's shows were so much better in my day." And now I see the generation that grew up with Hannah Montana, Zack & Cody, Sonny with a Chance, etc. looking back fondly on those shows and saying "Disney's shows were better in my day." It's a good lesson in not looking down at what the younger generation is watching and enjoying. Because if they're enjoying them, there's obviously something they're getting out of them.
Well, that's really how the world unfortunately works. And yes, of course it's truly unfortunate for your aforementioned reasons, but people have a tendency to throw their personal bias towards what they dislike. But the truth is that this issue has always affected the different generations of Disney Channel. But it also has become an unofficial norm to do so. People who grew up with Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens consider those shows to be superior to That's So Raven, The Suite Life of Zach and Cody and Hannah Montana. But as aforementioned, it's become the general trend to worship the Lizzie McGuire-era towards the Hannah Montana-era. If you don't believe me, just look it up. Of course there are exceptions, as some people tend to like all of the generations of Disney Channel. But like I said, there is a general trend of hating on each generations.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I watched Lizzy as a kid and I don't think it's THAT good. Didn't watch the others so I can't comment on them.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Hannah Montana came out when I was 11 and I was beginning to grow out of Disney Channel (I was hard into the 2000-2006 era, basically Lizzie McGuire through the first High School Musical). I remember really disliking the first episode which I think premiered before or after “Cow Belles”— I wrote a scathing review on a VMK fan site. Reading my first post in this thread, it seems I saw a lot more episodes of Hannah Montana than I remember watching! My baby sister, also named Hannah, was besotted with the series— she would have been about 5 years old and she had the CDs and the wig, I remember her peeling off her Dora the Explorer bedroom wall decal for a Hannah Montana poster (itself eventually replaced by Justin Bieber).

It was mostly an inoffensive series that brought joy to a lot of people. I like Miley Cyrus as a celebrity figure well enough nowadays— Wrecking Ball was really good. She had comedic chops, but I don’t think she was ever as good as Raven Symone, Amanda Bynes (I am so sad for her mental health issues, she was such a brilliant young talent), or Shia LeBeouf were in their early Disney/Nickelodeon days. Sometimes I will still YouTube the cat fight scene between Dolly Parton and Vicki Lawrence for a laugh.

This is a nice “comfort food” topic to read and contribute to right now. Is the Lizzie McGuire movie on Disney+? Now that I loved.
Disney's Divinity

Well, it's similar to how so many criticize the Revival films (myself included). For the newest generation, those animated films are the first they'll see and they have nothing to compare them to, and they become the benchmark for them because they either haven't seen older films or won't for a long time. And then those older films have older sensibilities that are hard for them to get into. I mean, Snow White for example, was always hard for me to watch because the voices and dialogue just felt like my grandparents. That's inevitable. It's sort of like that scene in Ratatouille, when Anton Ego's memory goes back to when he was a child. You're always going to be chasing that original high, the first experience that made a mark on you.

I feel like I do like a lot of modern children's shows or family films, keeping in mind they're not being aimed at someone my age for the most part. I feel like there's just as much high and low quality output in every generation; no one is truly better than the other. There's always going to be some crap you have to sort through to get to the good stuff. I personally didn't like That's So Raven or Hannah Montana, but Lizzie McGuire and Wizards of Waverly Place were alright. Christy Carlson Romano was the only thing I liked about Even Stevens. I was never that fond of any Disney live-action shows/movies. As far as tween/teen shows, I think I was more into Degrassi: The Next Generation than anything on Disney.

I agree about Amanda Bynes, poor girl, she seemed so nice. I remember back when all the gossip rags first started about her, I really thought it was all a joke, that she was poking fun at the celeb culture that would obsess over the bad behavior of nobodies like Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Kim Kardashian, etc. I think it was RuPaul telling people it wasn't a joke and then her setting a puppy on fire at a gas station that made me realize it wasn't some prank on the media, that she was really suffering from a mental illness.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

UmbrellaFish wrote:It was mostly an inoffensive series that brought joy to a lot of people.
And a lot of hate to purists :lol: Sorry, but that's the truth. There was a lot of hate for Hannah Montana and the other Disney Channel products from her prime. From passionate naysayers when HM was on and relevant.
I like Miley Cyrus as a celebrity figure well enough nowadays— Wrecking Ball was really good. She had comedic chops, but I don’t think she was ever as good as Raven Symone, Amanda Bynes (I am so sad for her mental health issues, she was such a brilliant young talent), or Shia LeBeouf were in their early Disney/Nickelodeon days.
Acting was never Miley's biggest talent, as it was cringe-worthy and incredibly hammy. And fortunately she never improved, though her acting in HM The Movie was fine enough.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Well, it's similar how so many criticize the Revival films (myself included). For the newest generation, those animated films are the first they'll see and they have nothing to compare them to, and they become the benchmark for them because they either haven't seen older films or won't for a long time.
True, but that happens to a lot of properties and not just Disney.
And then those older films have older sensibilities that are hard for them to get into. I mean, Snow White for example, was always hard for me to watch because the voices and dialogue just felt like my grandparents. That's inevitable. It's sort of like that scene in Ratatouille, when Anton Ego's memory goes back to when he was a child. You're always going to be chasing that original high, the first experience that made a mark on you.
You know what? I have the opposite experience. In my childhood I had the tendency to prefer Walt's features. It would be tempting to pin down to say "for no reason at all". But looking back at it, there was an innocent charm to his pictures that appealed to me. It wasn't until when I saw The Lion King at the age of 10 that I became officially converted to the features from the Renaissance (despite that I was obsessed with The Rescuers Down Under). But I know that I'm repeating myself :P