The Incredible Hulk

All topics on all things Marvel.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

The Incredible Hulk

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Who's exited? :D.
Well,the 2003 one was bad,but this looks really great :D.
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

I didn't see mater Ang Lee's critically trashed Hulk, nor am I anticipated for this year's Hulk. I will see this year's however, only because Edward Norton is in it.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Sometimes I feel like I was the only person in the world who liked the first Hulk movie. :roll:

Any critic who says that the film wasn't true to the Hulk is either ignorant, misguided or a fool. Can you imagine a whole two hour film of Hulk strutting about and smashing everything in sight? Trust me, it would get boring very quickly - you only have to look at upteen "CGI blockbusters" where more money went on the effects than the script to see why.

The Hulk movie may not have met the average man in the street's expectations of what the Hulk is - those who only know the character from half-remembered comic reading in the 60s or 70s, or perhaps vague recollections of cheaply animated Saturday morning cartoons. That's like people expecting Batman Begins to be like the 1960's Adam West TV series and complaining when it's not!

Ang Lee's film captured perfectly the themes of Peter David's extended, multiple award winning run on the Incredible Hulk comic. To put it in a simple sentance that everyone will be able to understand, "Peter David is a genius". To expand upon that, Peter David took a dull, two-dimensional comic book character that did nothing but smash things up and psychoanalysed him. He created a character for both the Hulk and Bruce Banner. He logically explained why and how the Hulk was created, and the Hulk's relationship with Banner. At the same time, he wrote a complex back story for Banner successfully reconciling not only Peter David's writing of The Hulk, but also questions that needed answering since the comic book series began. Such as "Just why was a man dedicated to non-violence working on developing weapons of mass destruction for the military?" Peter David not only introduced adult concepts into the title, but he made them the key themes of his run.

And Ang Lee's movie did the same. It wasn't perfect. Considering the script was so emotionally mature, the realisation of The Hulk did look too comic-booky. And the fight with Banner's father at the end was clearly just added on "because big budget action movies require big budget battles". And that's the irony. Ang Lee didn't create an action film. He created what he always creates – a film. A proper film - where characters drive the plot as much as the need for big action set pieces; where dialogue is just as important, if not more so, than eye candy.

I personally don't have much hope for the new Hulk film. The old Hulk may have looked too much like a cartoon, but I prefer that look to the stills I've seen of the Hulk from the new film. Cartoon wins over F-Ugly every time in my book. I also think that, while not impossible, it will be incredibly hard to create a satisfying film in the style of the 60's and 70's Hulk comics (which is what the production team seem to have decided to do after the critical and financial "failure"* of Ang Lee's approach). Finally, while I have respect for Ed Norton, the fact that stories are constantly being spread over the internet about fall outs between Norton and Marvel films about the final cut of the movie makes me think Norton's vision will be dramatically compromised.

* I say failure, but as I recall the original Hulk film easily made a profit during its theatrical and home video release, and help Marvel itself sell over three-quarters of a million dollars of Incredible Hulk movie merchandise.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I have nothing to add to what has been said, except that Ang Lee's film was a good movie, except for the CGI of The Hulk. They could never decide how big he was. Sometimes he was the normal size, and other times he was 20 feet tall and the abilities to jump and almost fly were just totally what turned me off this film. The first half of the movie was a great film, and then it went downhill from there.

The new movie looks awesome. And I think they got it "all" right this time. No giant or midget Hulks running around. I really think that being loyal to the book is most important, and psychological events that take place in David Banner's life are going to be what is most important and not lost in the CGI shuffle to make the Hulk look more menacing.

I am looking forward to the next six week in the movie theater. We have a good bunch of movies coming - May 2 - Iron Man, May 9 - Speed Racer, May 16 - The Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian, May 23 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and the list goes on and on to include the new Incredible Hulk movie in June.

:)
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I'll see it, but I'm not real excited about it. The Hulk was never one of my favorite comic characters, and the last movie was bad. The ending of that movie was just shot terrible, and half the time you couldn't make out what was really going on. I had no problem with the Hulk leaping like he did though.

One thing I'm interested in seeing in the new movie is the *SPOILERS they are in white so highlight to read... It might be common knowledge now, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.*

Tony Stark showing up for a cameo. Avengers movie anyone?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Just got back from Iron Man.... and guess what trailer was attatched to it:

The Incredible Hulk

I would put that in green but I don't want to ruin it... It would appear from the trailer I saw they are pretending like HULK the 2003 train wreck in my opinion due to the comic book windows..... Never happened.... and are starting over with a clean slate... which is fine by me.... I am sure trailers will surf up on youtube or somewhere on the web...
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Your completely right disneyboy20022.

The Incredible Hulk was originally planned as a sequel to The Hulk, but all of that was scraped from what I've read. It is a new start, and hopefully a better one.
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

I liked the first Hulk, and I look forward to this one too, along with all this summers superhero movies, Ironman, Dark Knight, Hellboy 2, and the Will Smith one
Dark Knight Rulez
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Acquires Marvel Entertainment

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Edward Norton on what went on with him & Marvel regarding Hulk:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... lm-1245855