Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Choco Bear
Gold Classic Collection

Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed

Post by Choco Bear »

im really excited bout this cuz i luv scooby :D and i liked the first movie, i like the new scooby show but not as awsomeas scooby doo where are u :?
ne ways here is the the first poster and logo :)
the official site is http://www2.warnerbros.com/scoobydoo2/

http://www2.warnerbros.com/scoobydoo2/img/poster.jpg

http://www2.warnerbros.com/scoobydoo2/i ... 2_logo.jpg
Choco Bear
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Choco Bear »

o ya heres the plot of it from fangoria.com i didnt wanna put it in my first post cuz it would of been vrowded so ya :)
UNLEASHED, get it? Heh. FANGORIA spent some time hanging out on the Vancouver set of SCOOBY-DOO 2: MONSTERS UNLEASHED yesterday (Day 61 of 72)—gawking at the rather incredible and elaborate sets from returning production designer Bill (MONKEYBONE) Boes—and got a sneak peek at the Coolsonian Museum. This new building is opened up at the beginning of the movie by Patrick Wisely (Seth Green) to celebrate the careers of Mystery, Inc., a.k.a. Fred (Freddie Prinze, Jr.), Daphne (Sarah Michelle Gellar), Velma (Linda Cardellini), Shaggy (Matthew Lillard) and Scooby-Doo.

To fill out the museum, Wisely has put up the "costumes" of many of the men-in-masks-monsters the Scoobies (original Scoobies - not BUFFY-led Scoobies. Oh, wait—Sarah Michelle, Seth Green...oh, never mind) have captured through the years. We wandered around to the various stand-ups and saw a wide variety of well-researched and realized Scooby villains from the cartoon now in three-dimensional form. On the little bronze placards in front of each of the costumes were drawings of how they looked in the cartoon series as well as a short breakdown of how Mystery, Inc. busted the crook, the set-up that got them there and who the crook ended up being (basically, a three-paragraph breakdown of the episode the monster appeared in).

"Well, the ones in the museum are supposed to be the ones from the original show," explains Boes about the monsters. "That's how we start the movie off—'Hey, remember these guys? Remember the 10,000 Volt Ghost? Remember the Miner 49er?' So, at the beginning, everybody goes, 'Oh, yeah!' "

The plot of the movie has a villainous masked figure stealing these costumes and putting them into something called "the Monster Hive," where they're actually animated with a special "goop" into real monsters, not just men in suits. "When the Monster Hive kicks into gear and starts spewing out monsters, of course we had to do new and improved versions," Boes says. "We basically built costumes—some of them are being enhanced with CGI, and five of them are all CGI. All of the creatures are made out of this stuff called 'Randomonium'—a chemical the writer, James Gunn, came up with—so they're all going to be dripping this oozing green stuff. Some of them have green eyes—the Pterodactyl is going to be glowing green—so it's a theme throughout."

As for the CG ghosts, Boes has just started working on those, as they will be created during the long postproduction schedule that begins after the movie wraps. "We're starting to model the CG creatures, and the 10,000 Volt Ghost looks awesome!" Boes exclaims. "It looks like Monster of the Id from FANTASTIC PLANET. It's unbelievably cool." As for Boes' favorite monster, he says, "I'm into the Pterodactyl—I don't know why!"

Some of the monsters Fango took a gander at were:

The Mortician
The Highlander Ghost
Pterodactyl Ghost
The Headless Horseman
Zen Tuo (one of our favorites – from the Chinatown episode where Daphne gets kidnapped early)
Cotton Candy Glob
Werewolf
Ghost of Doctor Coffin (covered in blood!)
Black Knight
10,000 Volt Ghost
The Warrior
Rambling Ghost
The Phantom
The Warlock of Anthos
The Creeper (wow!)
The Ghost of Merlin
Chickenstein (yes, Chickenstein)
The Mermaid
In the art department, Fangoria also got a look at designs for the Skeleton Men, the Miner 49er and the eerie-looking Ghost of Captain Cutler—the man in the deep sea diver suit that comes out of the water right at Shaggy and Scoob at a point in the movie. So, unlike the original, SCOOBY-DOO 2: MONSTERS UNLEASHED will have no shortage of classic creatures from the famed TV series.

Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

Well I didn't read the synopsis, since I'd like to be surprised, but sounds cool... If I don't see this in theatres it will definately be a rental... :twisted:
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

Wow..did the first one actually do well enough (box office take) to truly merit a sequel? Can't say that I'm the least bit surprised anyway.
" There's no Dumbass Vaccine " - Jimmy Buffett
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

indianajdp wrote:Wow..did the first one actually do well enough (box office take) to truly merit a sequel?
I was thinking the same thing...
I just thought the first one disappeared without a trace.
Did see some of the first one in bits and pieces, and it didn't really do anything for me.
Everything gets a sequel now...*

*And before everyone starts, let us not get into a sequel debate. I am being neither pro or anti sequel here... :)
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

The movie wasn't really all that great-most people probably went to see it cuz they were curious (I did too). But it's eye candy, and it's fun to see all the references to the original series (jinkis! and Velma losing her glasses, and Fred always saying "Daphne and I will go this way, Velma-you go with Shaggy and Scooby", and Fred always taking credit for Velma's plans...)
Defy Gravity...
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

woohoo, more promo dvds!!

i hope we get a pup named scooby doo comps this time!!

oh and as for the actual movie... who cares. :down:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

The first one grossed $150 million domestically, and another $115 million overseas. Not surprised that it'd get a sequel, but I haven't seen the first one, nor do I particularly want to from what I've heard.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Oh well, at least the sequel seems to be more in keeping with the series' continuity: old ghosts returning and set in coolsville. And Seth Green is in it.

Let's hope they listerned to all the critisisms of the first one :(
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Tascar
Limited Issue

Post by Tascar »

For me the film works because it was EXACTLY like the cartoon.

Silly, cameos. Corny corny dialogue. Horribly done popular culture remarks and comments. They even threw in a few laughs for the Scooby Doo fans: the insinuation of the whole Scooby Doo and Shaggy doing drugs and the making fun of Scrappy Doo.

I think alot of the people who liked the series but didn't like the movie expected the film to somehow revolutionize Scooby Doo when all it was meant to be is a authentic/true-to-the-spirit-of-the-original Scooby Doo movie.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Tascar wrote: I think alot of the people who liked the series but didn't like the movie expected the film to somehow revolutionize Scooby Doo when all it was meant to be is a authentic/true-to-the-spirit-of-the-original Scooby Doo movie.
But it wasn't true to the spirit. When in the cartoons was Fred a vain, egotistical idiot? And what was with Daphne learning martial arts? If they wanted to do something "different" with Daphne they could have played up her family background more (She's loaded!)

Velma and Shaggy came out the best (the stupid farting contest makes me swing toward Velma as being the most true to the cartoons character).

I didn't mind that the ghosts were real, and I didn't mind the scrappy apperence. It was quite fun. But I cannot forgive the film for destoying Fred and Daphne.
2099net
Signature Collection

Well, I finally saw Scooby Doo II Monsters Unleashed

Post by 2099net »

Well, I finally saw Scooby Doo II Monsters Unleashed. While it was better than the first movie, a lot of the problems with the first film were carried over to the second. And quite frankly, I'm glad if Lillard is right and there won't be anymore Scooby Doo movies.

I think that statement alone shows how badly Warners have screwed up what should have been an A-1 franchise. After all, they're still producing a steady stream of animated Scooby Doo DTVs.

The execs at Warners must all be on crack or something. They are greenlighting no end of movies based on existing properties, but do nothing to keep the spirit or charactaristics of the property itself.

Scooby Doo, Catwoman, the new Excorcist film (which has a rating of only 5% on Rotten Tomatoes as a result). They seem determined to destroy characters and concepts that have stood the test of time.

The first Scooby Doo movie managed to destroy the characters of the Mystery Inc gang totally (Fred and Daphne especially - I was pleased to see the gang were truer to their established character in the sequel. But of course this means the film has very little connection to the first film). They also thought that Scooby Doo's humour was all about farting and burping... sadly something that was carried over to the sequel.

That said they did try harder for the sequel. As I mentioned the characters were closer to their animated personnas. (I am so glad that Fred wasn't a total idiot in this, like he was in the first). It was also good to see the 'classic' monsters from the series, the only fault being that they were "real". :roll: I wanted to like the new movie so much, but scenes of Daphne doing martial arts, Scooby farting and Velma in leather just left me cold.

Lillard once again put in a stunning performance as Shaggy. And Cardellini was as good as always as Velma. Out of the rest of the cast only Seth Green really stood out, but he was criminally underused. And you know somethings wrong when the great Peter Boyle can only manage a "workman" like performance.

However, its not all bad news. The movies gave birth to the new What's New Scooby Doo? animated series. Unlike the movies this series celebrates Scooby Doo, its characters and its formula. It's not above making a few jokes at the expense of the series, but it does so with affection and love.

Long live the real Scooby Doo and death to the pretender!

Thankfully the new What's New Scooby Doo? DVD has a trailer for a new animated DTV film "Aloha Scooby Doo!" coming soon.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

I have to admit, I was surprised when Scooby Doo got a sequel greenlit - I, and probably the rest of the world, was under the impression that SD 1 was a colossal flop. But I see from Boxofficemojo that it made an impressive $153,294,164 (which is almost twice its production budget). So I guess it was only natural it was sequalized.
2099net wrote: Execs at Warners must all be on crack or something. They are greenlighting no end of movies based on existing properties, but do nothing to keep the spirit or charactaristics of the property itself.

Scooby Doo, Catwoman, the new Excorcist film (which has a rating of only 5% on Rotten Tomatoes as a result). They seem determined to destroy characters and concepts that have stood the test of time.
Yes, I agree that Warner does seem to have a habit of running any half decenet framchise into the ground. Even the new Batman movie - "young boy discovers self in the mountains" - looks as though they have changed significant parts of the story (although I partly blame DC for that, not having someone as strong as Marvel's Avi Arad going to 'bat' for them). Even if they aren't trying to change things, as I suspect Batman will still be cool, the whole origin story is uneeded, and the use of two villains seems to be to sell new toys.

Batman. Younger. Sexier. Comes with 72 points of articulation.

Even the last few Batfilms have suffered from "overdevelopment". I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time to introduce 3 new villains and 1 new superhero into Batman & Robin ("Mummy - where do I get all those wonderful toys?"), but it was overkill and they changed at least one guy (Bane) from a guy who "broke the Bat" in the comics, to a lumbering lackey.

The last two Superman films are also good examples.

Hell, there is even talks of a new Police Academy movie. "Warner - is nothing sacred!!!??!!" I suppose they will change it so that they are all competant now, but the victims of an evil terrorist plot to make them look stupid.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter