Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Live-Action Discussion

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Prepare To Be Enchanted By These Live-Action Beauty and the Beast Fun Facts
https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/03/24 ... C842991261
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

blackcauldron85 wrote: 3 Ways New ‘Disney Beauty & The Beast’ Musical Coming to Disney Dream Draws Inspiration from Live-Action Film
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/ ... tion-film/
The music box motif seems interesting. It's a pity though that the only new song they didn't add was Evermore. Much would have preferred that over Days in the Sun or How Does a Moment Last Forever.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

I just saw this remake today and...

...I didn't like it.

As feared, Disney did not have to remake this one. One thing that bugged me most was how they just breezed thru much of the original screenplay, in the process taking out much of the pacing and emotion that made the original so wonderful. One example was when Belle and Beast argues when he tries to invite her to dinner. The original had an organic build up of the Beast struggling to control his anger, including his hilariously explosive outbursts when pushed far enough. Much of that weight and tension was gone from this remake.

Another thing that bothered me was how the visual development was muddled up. The original boasted a clear color palette that told the story as effectively as the animation itself. During the opening's autumnal setting, Belle was the only character wearing blue when the rest of the village was painted with reds, yellows, greens, and browns. Gaston was the only character wearing prominent red, to emphasize his arrogance. Although Belle and Gaston wore their respective colors in this remake, they were much more subdued, and thus less visually interesting.

Yet another gripe was the CGI effects of the servants. We're living in an unfortunate period in cinema history where absolutely EVERYTHING must be drowned in layers of realistic lighting, shading, overly-complacted passes, you name it. The original character designs were not simple, but had a fine balance of high-quality designs and drawings that could work well in animated form. Here, the renderings come close to hitting the uncanny valley.

As far as the controversy behind Le Fou's character; it was really a non-issue. He was a secondary character to start with, it was never played as a major plot point, and thus had no bearing on the film itself. Besides, almost every film has at least one LGBT character these days.

Overall, this new Beauty and the Beast was not nearly as good as Maleficent or Cinderella, but it wasn't a disaster like Alice in Wonderland. Just painfully unnecessary. :down: :down: :down:
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Belle's blue dress was ripped at the bottom left it didn't go all the way around. She ripped off her yellow dress and had a white dress on undernite what is going on? She had pants on under her blue dress.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Okay, Semaj? I'm sorry, but how DARE you compare BatB to that disgrace, Maleficent? :evil:
blackcauldron85

VIDEO: Disney tasks kids to create “Beauty and the Beast” short giving LeFou and Gaston an origin story
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2017/03/b ... gin-story/
(via AnimatedViews.com)
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I went to see it for a second time this weekend. I loved it even more than I did the first time. The visuals blew me away. I always loved the stained glass opening in the animated movie, but I thought the opening for the remake was very well-made, and I loved the costumes, and Audra MacDonald's voice is always a pleasure to hear.

Emma Watson is perfect, and I absolutely loved her. She was beautiful, I loved how she acted, and I'm in love with her singing voice. I had a crush on her as a kid when I saw her in Harry Potter, and I think the crush came back. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan Steven's Beast was awesome. No matter what anyone says, I loved the CGI job they did on him.

Now, villains are always the highlight of a movie, and Gaston was great. Luke Evans' performance was incredible. Goofy and funny, as the animated character, but menacing and evil towards the end. His singing blew me away.

The enchanted objects were great, but it's still hard for me to adjust to Emma Thompson singing "Beauty and the Beast", instead of Angela Lansbury. No one can sing it like her, but Thompson did an amazing job as well. I must confess I wasn't a big fan of Ewan McGregor's rendition of "Be Our Guest", but I love it now, especially after seeing it on the big screen. The visuals were amazing.

About the new songs, I thought they were okay, though I still prefer "Human Again" instead of "Days in the Sun". :lol: :lol: :lol: "Evermore", however, was amazing!!!

Belle (reprise) was one of my favorite moments in the movie, and I loved how Emma Watson did the same thing as the animated Belle (covering her head with the cloth, throwing grains at the chicken), and the orchestration was absolutely amazing, matched by equally impressive visuals. I got goosebumps. :D

The dance scene between Belle and the Beast was great and even though the choreography was a bit different, I still loved it, and I thought it was very well done. I was afraid the relationship between them wouldn't be as touching and romantic as in the animation, but I'm happy to say I was wrong. :)

During the "Somethig There" scene, I loved how she looked at him when she helped him pet Phillippe. It was the same look she gave him in the animated film, and I was so happy to see her immitate that moment so perfectly, as it was the moment she realized she fell in love with him. Absolutely beautiful.

Once again, during the final choral reprise of "Beauty and the Beast", I shed a tear. :) I'm happy to say this is my absolute favorite remake so far. It was beautiful, magical, touching, epic. It still can't match the animated masterpiece, but it's great on its own.

Two times in the theater is enough for me. I'll now wait for the Blu-ray to be released. 'Till then, I'll be happy to relive those moments by listening to my copy of the soundtrack.

Well done, Disney!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

I might see it for a second time this week, not sure yet on when. I want to see that beautiful movie twice in theaters! :D
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I just saw it again on Saturday. Just as magical! I may like it better than the original version. Love how the gay moment got an applause this time!
blackcauldron85

More issues for gay characters in film:

Power Rangers is an 18+ in Russia due to LGBT character
https://twitter.com/i/moments/846295923525373952
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

blackcauldron85 wrote:More issues for gay characters in film:

Power Rangers is an 18+ in Russia due to LGBT character
https://twitter.com/i/moments/846295923525373952
Cue up "The Mob Song." (LGBT are already hunted there though...)
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I've seen it twice and really enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect but I thought it stayed true to the animated film and I can't argue with that.

I'd say Emma Watson was the worst thing in it. Her singing wasn't great and she never reached great emotional heights - especially the death/transformation scene. I expected it to break my heart like the animated version does and it just never got there. I didn't believe her in this scene.
The scene where the household servants become objects was really well done and made me cry. Chip was super annoying.
I really think they missed something not having the Beast show Belle around the castle. Why cut him out of that scene? It humanizes him early on.
In the animated film, after the Beast scares Belle from the castle you see him regret his actions which they didn't do here. I love that little bit of the scene.
The enchantress was a massive waste of time. The rose is magic and it knows. It knows! It would have been quicker to have Belle say I love you before the last petal fell. The enchantress didn't need to be there. I know what they were going for but I could have done without it.
I also hated that the beast never vocalized himself that he loved Belle - Mrs Potts vocalized it for him. I think it's a huge moment for his character that the writers took away.
I liked that they took away the timing plot holes.
Don't feel the new songs added much except maybe the Beast one. Glad they didn't use human again
Waste of Stanley Tucci
Missed the stain glass window opening

Did anyone else feel the music/vocal balance in Gaston was off? The music needed to be turned down. It seemed to drown the vocals. Everyone in it exceeded my expectations apart from Emma Watson who disappointed me.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

‘Beauty and the Beast’ Becomes Highest Grossing Live-Action Musical
https://www.fanbolt.com/83988/beauty-be ... n-musical/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity, my favorite parts of the movie also included anything with the enchantress, and I liked seeing the characters again in the end credits. I would also like to hear Dan Steven's Beast-less version of "Evermore". I have to say Emma deciding what to do about the Beast after the wolf scene was a better example of her good acting. I loved the design of the castle and yes, especially the ballroom. Belle being told she would become a beggar/spinster was good. The snowball thrown at Emma was fantastic. Maurice and LeFou being more competent was indeed a good thing. The intro was not perfectly done to me as we never see the beggar woman speak to the prince, or the prince reject her a second time, or him apologize. The look of the truly-revealed enchantress was stunningly about perfect though. Good point on the winter idea of the curse. By the way, did you like Belle's dress? I kind of like the top, but not the skirt. Lol on expecting the wardrobe to eat Belle. Good point about the enchanted object fight scene. I, too, liked that Mrs. Potts sang the rest of "Beauty and the Beast" in the end, before the chorus of course. Why did you think Cinderella's stepmother was confused? Also, this is random, but you and I both hate Rapunzel's dress, but I like this one and this one. Do you like those? Though I would still like the laced bodice and dark section in the front middle of the skirt like the final version has. And of course still be purple. Would you hate it if it had those still?
taei wrote:Did everything after the curse seem predestined? I felt like Agathe being a character kind of made Belle and the Beast's relationship sort of happen inorganically? Agathe just happened to live in the town where all the characters dwell in; she just happened to nurse Maurice back to health in the woods; she just happened to be at the castle during the invasion scene; she just happened to be there when Belle declares her love for the Beast. It's as if she planned for everything to happen, like she knew the Beast will eventually meet Belle, or she picked Belle to be the one who changes him. Also, she could've spoken up for Maurice in the tavern, but she didn't (even though the townspeople wouldn't have believed her, but still). Did anyone else feel this way, or is it just me? I hope I'm not sounding too crazy haha.
I didn’t feel the enchantress being a character made it seem like she made everything happen. She went up to see what Belle would do with the Beast, not seeming to know what exactly would happen. I really don't think she set everything up, but I guess she could have to get justice for all the good people? But actually, if she asked the prince to give her a second chance and he refused, it says she doesn't know the future because she didn't know what he would do.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I feel like the deleted scenes explain her reasons for why she acts later on better. The best example is that without deleted scenes, if you watch the movie, you just see Ella singing to herself in the attic without a care in the world. It's hard to understand why she's shut herself of like this unless you see the deleted scene where she actually tries to reach out to the prince. Not only does this show a determination in her which we don't see otherwise in the movie, basically here we actually see her reach out and try to fight for her love in the way she can, but it suddenly explains why she is so down at the end of the film. She reached out to the prince and he doesn't respond back, so she feels dejected and let down. Suddenly her behavior in the end makes more sense.
Oh. Yea, but Kit does reveal he loves Ella when he makes the proclamation that he will marry the girl who fits the slipper if she is willing. And then we see Ella really happy and go for that slipper. Plus, I kind of like the idea that Ella is like the original Cinderella who doesn’t want the prince to find out she’s a servant until he announces he will marry whoever fits the slipper. I must admit I would not mind the deleted scene of her with the letter put in, but the message of the story is that the prince chooses her even when she is afraid he won’t love a kitchen wench.

As for the Gabrielle-Suzanna Barbot de Villenueve Beauty and the Beast, I thought the novel was online, not that I had to buy it. So I read your summary of the book and it sounds like a great story. But I don’t get what spell Belle was under. Also, I hate the incest between cousins.

Semaj, I agree so much with your first paragraph.

Sicoe Vlad, I am really glad you enjoy the film so much. It’s great you have such love for this film. It certainly is beautiful.

MeerkatKombat, I agree with Emma Watson in that last scene. And the Beast not showing Belle around the castle and how in the original it humanized him, as did his regretting his yelling at her. I never noticed they took away him saying he loved Belle. That, too, is bad. I did also like that they took out the timing plot holes.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote: As for the Gabrielle-Suzanna Barbot de Villenueve Beauty and the Beast, I thought the novel was online, not that I had to buy it. So I read your summary of the book and it sounds like a great story. But I don’t get what spell Belle was under. Also, I hate the incest between cousins.
The novel might be online but I haven't been able to find it myself. Belle was cursed by one of the elder fairies (not the one who curses the prince) to marry a beast. This was to make Belle's mother pay for marrying a human king which is forbidden under fairy law.

Cousins marrying cousins doesn't really bother me. It's still common in many parts of the world today and it's been used by royal families since the beginning of time. The ancient Egyptians used to have siblings marry to co-govern as kings and queens and even in the Abrahamic faiths, brothers and sisters were initially allowed to marry.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

It’s nearly topped TJB’s domestic gross already (already topped AiW).

Beauty v. Alice v. Jungle
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/ ... ealice.htm
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney's Divinity wrote:It’s nearly topped TJB’s domestic gross already (already topped AiW).

Beauty v. Alice v. Jungle
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/ ... ealice.htm
I'm so pleased to hear it's topped Alice :lol:
ImageImage
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Compare & Contrast

Animated Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNFWqlIYpVk

Live-Action Remake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soRV6si7lm8
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
blackcauldron85

This Beauty And The Beast Theory Perfectly Explains THAT Plot Hole https://www.buzzfeed.com/crystalro/this ... drnq1560n1
Disney's Divinity

blackcauldron85 wrote:This Beauty And The Beast Theory Perfectly Explains THAT Plot Hole https://www.buzzfeed.com/crystalro/this ... drnq1560n1
Oh, wow, that’s actually pretty cool.