Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Moana

Post by Disney's Divinity »

milojthatch wrote:Seriously! Aren't a lot of the same people complaining also the ones that defend fat women?
:roll: I'm glad you jumped over anything rational and straight into the fire. I don't think there's anything wrong with him being big or ugly, I preferred Bastion for Rapunzel after all--and let's not pretend as if men are up against any standard where waists are depicted as smaller than corsets like women are anyway (see almost a multitude of Disney female characters). It's that his design is hideous.
DisneyEra wrote:They're only complaining because it's from WDAS. If Maui was from Pixar, DreamWorks, Illumination or Blue Sky, you would hardly hear any complaining.
The consequence of posting on a Disney forum~
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
milojthatch wrote:Seriously! Aren't a lot of the same people complaining also the ones that defend fat women?
:roll: I'm glad you jumped over anything rational and straight into the fire. I don't think there's anything wrong with him being big or ugly, I preferred Bastion for Rapunzel after all--and let's not pretend as if men are up against any standard where waists are depicted as smaller than corsets like women are anyway (see almost a multitude of Disney female characters). It's that his design is hideous.
His design is hideous? Let me ask a few questions. How do you feel about the design for the new Mickey Mouse shorts? How do you feel about the design for the Wonder Over Yonder characters? Good Dinosaur? Because let me tell you, those are examples of crappy designs and I don't hear any complaints about them. (OK, maybe a few people have commented on Good Dino, but still.) In fact, I hear much of the opposite. The designs I've seen for Moana look great so far, people are just complaining to complain. I think we need some of what Anton Ego would call, "perspective."
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

It appears to be a universal rule that say every time Disney is dealing with non-white main characters and non-western cultures, there will always be whining and someone always looking for something to complain about. And if there isn't, media will come up with something. This is mostly media created. They track down someone with Polynesian roots or find an online comment, and then blows it up over all proportions and help it go viral, because they know how it works. Racism, sexism, orientation and so on will always makes waves and causing both sides to scream their lungs out. I'm sick of it.

This time they are complaining about a character being "fat". For me it looks like muscles with cartoonish proportions. If they had made him obese, he would look very different.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

milojthatch wrote:His design is hideous? Let me ask a few questions. How do you feel about the design for the new Mickey Mouse shorts? How do you feel about the design for the Wonder Over Yonder characters? Good Dinosaur? Because let me tell you, those are examples of crappy designs and I don't hear any complaints about them. (OK, maybe a few people have commented on Good Dino, but still.) In fact, I hear much of the opposite. The designs I've seen for Moana look great so far, people are just complaining to complain.
You can go read back through the MM shorts thread and TGD thread and find numerous complaints about both, just so you know…. (I don’t follow WOY to tell you anything about it.) As for the bold, I’m sorry you feel that way, because you’re wrong. You have no special insight into why people say or think what they do. I understand it’s much easier to be flippant and sweep any and every complaint under the rug than listen or accept that people aren’t just “complaining to complain.”
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I know I'm super late to the party but I saw the trailer a few days ago.
It's probably been mentioned. Why did they have to give Moana Rapunzel's face? They look like twins.
Either way it's the first trailer in a while that hasn't completely turnt me off.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

I'm late to the party too but I like Maui's design. For me it's different and even perhaps whimsical. Maui doesn't really look like any other Disney character I can think of. Maybe Wreck it Ralph?

At the end of the day they are telling a story. Does his look work for that story? I don't know. I will have to see the movie and then decide. But for me, characters can be "ugly" and still make me care about their story. Quasimodo and Wreck It Ralph come to mind.

I guess I'm just puzzled that there are such strong feelings about it. Is he so ugly people feel like they can't watch the movie without being distracted? I seem to remember their was some dialogue about Merida's design being odd. I personally would have preferred they turned her head about 90 degrees. But at the end of the day her design didn't ruin Brave for me.

Just my two cents and everyone is entitled their own opinion.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Moana's Family :)
Attachments
35B8671C00000578-3662105-image-a-54_1467031107999.jpg
35B8671C00000578-3662105-image-a-54_1467031107999.jpg (80.67 KiB) Viewed 6465 times
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Kakamora Tribe!
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

And Moana has both a mom and dad alive, which means another Disney Princess who has both parents alive. Although in this case, it's only her grandma who is going to pass away, which kind of continues the trend of having deceased relatives. I wonder what her mom's name is going to be.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I hope that's Moana's mom, but it could be her aunt or step mother or a best friend.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Where did you found that picture?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Where did you found that picture?
This is the source of those images.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

disneyprincess11 wrote:I hope that's Moana's mom, but it could be her aunt or step mother or a best friend.
It's her grandmother. She dies pretty early in the film or at least that's what Musker and Clements told us at the animation panel last year at D23.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

RyGuy wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:I hope that's Moana's mom, but it could be her aunt or step mother or a best friend.
It's her grandmother. She dies pretty early in the film or at least that's what Musker and Clements told us at the animation panel last year at D23.
I meant the other female lol
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Let's hope it's her mother. It would've been neat.

But those coconuts pirates looks hideous.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
RyGuy wrote: It's her grandmother. She dies pretty early in the film or at least that's what Musker and Clements told us at the animation panel last year at D23.
I meant the other female lol
Oops!! Hahaha. I think that's Moana in a different outfit which is probably why I glossed over the possibility.

We will know soon enough, though
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Where did you found that picture?
Found them on Tumblr searching Moana. Anything there is free to post.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

RyGuy wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote: I meant the other female lol
Oops!! Hahaha. I think that's Moana in a different outfit which is probably why I glossed over the possibility.

We will know soon enough, though
She's a bit taller than Moana, so I kind of doubt it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

She could also be the villager voiced by Phillipa Soo.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

French interviews with the directors.

Vaiana: rencontre avec John Musker et Ron Clements au Festival d’Annecy
http://radiodisneyclub.fr/john-musker-r ... ts-annecy/

Disney - "Vaiana n'est pas une histoire d'amour", disent les réalisateurs
http://www.lepoint.fr/pop-culture/cinem ... 3_2923.php
ImageImageImageImageImageImage