Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Live-Action Discussion

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I loved it. I thought they weren't even going to show Belle at all. Her eyes look amazing.
The only thing I dislike is the music. It sounds way too much overdone. Kinda match that first logo, full of unnecessary things. Hopefully it's just the trailer. I'd like if they did the prologue instrumentation to sound like the one from the musical, but nah, I doubt it.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

taei wrote:What an absolute shi*ty trailer!

Whoever okayed this trailer needs to be fired immediately.
This is far more than we got for Cinderella at this time. Don't act so spoiled.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I love it! It's so beautifully done! Everything about it is so majestic, and the updated prologue sounds great, although it will not be as good as the animated movie version. Emma Watson, in the few seconds we saw her, looked lovely and beautiful, and the CGI was kinda stunning. :)

Ewan McGregor as Lumiere in those few seconds was okay

I'm looking forward to seeing a full length trailer in November, and a poster. :)

I keep thinking, The Jungle Book and Cinderella were great, but Beauty and the Beast is a much more respected and IMO has a much larger fanbase than those two. I really hope they won't mess it up like Maleficent or Alice in Wonderland.
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

Kyle wrote:
taei wrote:What an absolute shi*ty trailer!

Whoever okayed this trailer needs to be fired immediately.
This is far more than we got for Cinderella at this time. Don't act so spoiled.
I'm not acting spoiled. I'm just reflecting back on the teaser. I didn't think it was enough. I know a lot of people who felt the same way.
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

Not sure if this is a fake picture or not, but here is the beast:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/4162/p5WE6L.jpg
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Now that is how you do a teaser trailer! :D

Here's to hoping that this live action version will be better than Cinderella and The Jungle Book which were good but not great all around.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

NeverLand wrote:Not sure if this is a fake picture or not, but here is the beast:

isn't that the beast from the french live action film that came out last year?
-Brave.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

taei wrote:
NeverLand wrote:Not sure if this is a fake picture or not, but here is the beast:

isn't that the beast from the french live action film that came out last year?

Yes, this is the beast from the french version.

The trailer looks great but i expected much more (my fault). I don't like the outside of the castle, i hoped a higher castle like the animated one. The inside of the castle looks amazing.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, I thought it was a fine teaser. I actually liked this version of the prologue music. Interesting that the portrait actually shows the prince as a kid (probably a nod towards the ongoing buzz over the Prince being eleven when he was cursed :P). And Emma is obviously allowed to keep her British accent. And interesting that this teaser ends with the "Be Our Guest" tagline instead of the logo.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Overall, it was a decent first look, much better than the teasers of other Disney live-action remakes. But that's not going to stop me from nitpicking. :lol:

The music should have been more undertone and less orchestrated, more the way it sounded in the original so as to capture that sense of mystery better. The outside of the castle looked too CG and the enchanted rose looked fake. The prince's portrait as a child looked awkward while the tearing of the painting should had been more pronounced, more intense. The black transitions lasted too long and the design of the door looked weird. But the worst thing about it was Ewan McGregor's accent. It was so awful and off-putting. He sounded Mexican instead of French. They shouldn't have cast him. This is why you should always audition instead of offering a role to an actor sight unseen. You can never know if they'll be a right fit without an audition.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

Sotiris wrote:Overall, it was a decent first look, much better than the teasers of other Disney live-action remakes. But that's not going to stop me from nitpicking. :lol:

The music should have been more undertone and less orchestrated, more the way it sounded in the original so as to capture that sense of mystery better. The outside of the castle looked too CG and the enchanted rose looked fake. The prince's portrait as a child looked awkward while the tearing of the painting should had been more pronounced, more intense. The black transitions lasted too long and the design of the door looked weird. But the worst thing about it was Ewan McGregor's accent. It was so awful and off-putting. He sounded Mexican instead of French. They shouldn't have cast him. This is why you should always audition instead of offering a role to an actor sight unseen. You can never know if they'll be a right fit without an audition.
Didn't he say that they wouldn't let him go with a more traditional and stereotypical French accent (More pronounced Rs)?

The best thing about this is that his work is voice-over, so they can easily redubb it and fix it. Judging by the reaction, unanimous hate, I'd say they have to do it.
-Brave.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

taei wrote:Didn't he say that they wouldn't let him go with a more traditional and stereotypical French accent (more pronounced Rs)?
Did he? I don't recall that.
taei wrote:The best thing about this is that his work is voice-over, so they can easily redub it and fix it. Judging by the reaction, unanimous hate, I'd say they have to do it.
I hope so, but I highly doubt it. They'll try to re-work some of the dialogue but I don't think they'll cast another actor to dub over it, probably out of fear of insulting Ewan. Here's the latest on the matter, straight from the horse's mouth.
Q: Can you tell me about the audition? ‘Cause I understand members of the cast had to sing a song from The Lion King.

Ewan McGregor: Oh, I didn’t. I didn’t have to audition. They asked me to play the role. It was great fun to do. I was surrounded by fantastic people. We had a great cast and it was fun. But it was sort of a daunting role because so many people are familiar and fond of the original. And then there’s a temptation I feel from some of the other people involved to recreate, musically speaking, what [Jerry Orbach] did. I was thinking ‘Well, I can’t do that. I can’t recreate what someone else did. I want to make it my own’. We’re still in that process. We haven’t finished. We still are due to do some more recording with the dialogue and the song. I found the French accent really difficult to do. I thought it would just come naturally but it sounded definitely more Mexican than French. So, we’re still working on that.
Source: https://soundcloud.com/empiremagazine/2 ... -linklater
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

taei wrote:
Kyle wrote: This is far more than we got for Cinderella at this time. Don't act so spoiled.
I'm not acting spoiled. I'm just reflecting back on the teaser. I didn't think it was enough. I know a lot of people who felt the same way.

That's a sign it did it's job. It's a teaser. It teased. It's job is to hint; not give a full synopsis. That's what the next trailer will do.

The only thin I didn't like about the trailer is Ewan. Itherwise, I was totally swept up.
Last edited by ajmrowland on Mon May 23, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

The castle looks great, the voice acting was off. I need to see more before I form an opinion.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, this movie looks so cool and perfect! This is probably the best Disney live-action castle there’s ever been. The only problem I had with this trailer is I wish the enchanted rose had a magic effect on it, instead of just looking like a normal rose, even though that is a good idea too, to not show it’s magical, and instead just look ordinary, because then neither Belle nor the prince in his past would suspect anything. But it looks like they fixed the “is the prince 11 when he becomes a Beast?” plot hole! Plus, it seems they are using rococo architecture, which is perfect for the 1700’s this film would probably take place in. Rococo is asymmetrical, and I seem to be seeing that in the designs. I bet Belle’s gold dress (which I find to be the best Disney dress) will probably be a more 1700’s accurate one in this film. Finally, I have a Disney movie to be really excited about since Cinderella (2015)!

Oh, and as for the door looking strange, I thought that, too, but it seems the doors were locked and the Beast busted through one of the doors, making that door have a jagged crack that allows Belle to push it open.

And as for the castle not being grand enough or having great enough scenery, where were all those complaints when the 2015 Cinderella castle and ballroom weren't nearly as gigantic as the ones in the original film? The castle and scenery look beautiful and they will do their own thing, not looking exactly like the original!

EDIT: I wonder if the candles melting down to what would eventually be no light is a metaphor for time passing and the Beast wanting to cover himself in darkness instead of look at himself, while also being a metaphor for him losing himself to despair and darkness inside of himself.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Mon May 23, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I loved the teaser. I had a feeling they wouldn't really show any of the characters in the teaser; I assumed ahead of time that they'd want to save the reveal of the animation for the servants and the Beast + Belle's dress for later. Its purpose is to tease after all.

The interior of the castle made me think of Miss Havisham's house. (Which I like, btw.) The castle from a distance and the painting were gorgeous, imo. Only thing right now I'm worried about is McGregor, but I'm hoping they're going to continue to work on it. Ian McKellan's and Emma Watson's voices made me so excited to see this, and they were just very small lines! :float:
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Tue May 24, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Even with trailer shots bring a thing, it may be too soon to reveal the animated characters.

BTW, the indoor balcony in the hall looks just like the animated version.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I wonder if the candles melting down to what would eventually be no light is a metaphor for time passing and the Beast wanting to cover himself in darkness instead of look at himself, while also being a metaphor for him losing himself to despair and darkness inside of himself.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

This is the first of the live-action remakes/reboots/re-imaginings that I'm genuinely interested in, and I think the trailer works quite well in whetting the audience's appetite.

I definitely agree about McGregor/Lumiere, but it actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting after hearing the criticisms. lol. It helps when your expectations are low, I guess.

To a degree, it still has that obvious CGI look that has plagued basically all of these films so far (except for Alice, which I think uses that artificiality to its advantage and to inject some style), but since we're mostly only getting establishing shots here, it's hard to make any real judgement yet.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I'm genuinely excited about this! I've been excited about Cinderella, and The Jungle Book, but this one looks even better. I think it will be a hit once again.