Zootopia

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Zootopia

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wish seeing it's RT score up in the upper 90's meant something to me, but don't most Lasseter films have ratings in that area? I'm waiting for a reviewer I follow to write something positive about the film before my expectations change.
jazzflower92 wrote:http://www.slashfilm.com/zootopia-message/

Apparently according to this article when the story still had Nick as the main character, it was more of an oppressive dystopia where predators were look down upon by the majority prey population who put shock collars on the predators so it could suppress their old instinctual urges. Man, I agree with their decision to get rid of the shock collars because it really shows how unpleasant Zootopia is and why anyone with a tread of decency would want to live there. Like they said in the interview, it would have been hard for the audience to connect with the world of Zootopia since it was so mean spirited.
Sounds like the film's message was completely inverted when they made Judy the main character.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Saw it today, awe-some. Loved every minute. :)

Definitely seeing it again and again and again.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I wish seeing it's RT score up in the upper 90's meant something to me, but don't most Lasseter films have ratings in that area? I'm waiting for a reviewer I follow to write something positive about the film before my expectations change.
Based on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, it's easily the most critically acclaimed.

RT:

Zootopia - 98%
Tangled - 90%
Winnie the Pooh - 90%
Frozen - 89%
Big Hero 6 - 89%
Bolt - 89%
Wreck-It Ralph - 86%
The Princess and the Frog - 84%
Meet the Robinsons - 66%

Metacritic:

Zootopia - 81
Frozen - 74
Big Hero 6 - 74
Winnie the Pooh - 74
The Princess and the Frog - 73
Wreck-It Ralph - 72
Tangled - 71
Bolt - 67
Meet the Robinsons - 61

It may not seem like it's that much higher, but it's rare for any film to get near universal praise, let alone Disney animation. Of course those sites can be oversimplifying things and everyone should judge for themselves, as I will too, but critically speaking this is getting raves like the very VERY highest praised Pixar films, like Inside Out and Toy Story 3 (The Good Dinosaur, Monsters University, and Brave all had RT scores in the 70s and Cars 2's is 39% so they're not exactly infallible).
LADY Image CLUCK
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Zootopia’ $70M+ Opening Is A Record For Original Disney Toon
http://deadline.com/2016/03/weekend-box ... 201714373/

So much for being a Sleeper Hit like Iger said earlier :lol:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyEra wrote:So much for being a Sleeper Hit like Iger said earlier :lol:
Funny thing: At the stock hold meeting, he called it a "timeless classic" :roll:
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Is this worth seeing in 3D or IMAX 3D?
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

Maerj wrote:Is this worth seeing in 3D or IMAX 3D?
Nope. Not worth it. Just watch it in a regular screen.
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Finally got to see it last night. I really quite enjoyed it. Some of the best computer animation Disney has ever done. Judy and Nick are likable protagonists and I thought the theme of prejudice was handled well.

My one complaint is that the villain just seemed to come right out of nowhere and the twist wasn't even around long enough to make that much of an impression.

Still, it was a film overall worth watching and I look forward to the BluRay release.

Btw, did anyone else notice a picture of Bongo the bear on Judy's apartment room wall?
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Twisted- ... 17147.html

This article shows the reason why they made Mr.Big an arctic shrew.

"We chose the shrew because, through our research that we did about animals, we found out that the arctic shrew is the most vicious predator on earth. It’s true, that little tiny shrew needs to eat three times its body weight to stay alive. So that means, if you put four shrews in a bucket tonight, when you get home, if you cover that bucket, you come back in the morning, you’re going to find one fat shrew. So, find four shrews on your way home tonight, get a bucket, you’re going to love what you find in the morning."

And I find that really awesome because it shows again how much time and effort they put into the worldbuilding of this world. Not to mention it's no wonder why Mr.Big is such a feared crime boss since his species is known to be very vicious in nature.
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

Plus it's a shrew. Not very big. Maybe it could have been a honey badger too :lol:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
estefan wrote: They're always using these kind of quotes. I remember for a while when every new Disney animated film was advertised as "the best Disney animated movie since The Lion King!"
At least we can be thankful Frozen came along so we never have to see that tag line again.
Are you sure? :wink:
1.jpg
1.jpg (61.89 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
Now seriously, I knew after seeing the film that it would have good reviews, but I didn't expected they would be so good. It has risen to 99% now at Rotten Tomatoes. And it's having a great comercial success as well:
"Zootopia" made even more of a mark at the box office than expected. Disney's latest animated romp took in $75 million in its opening weekend, according to comScore Monday. It's the highest three-day opening ever for Disney Animation, topping "Frozen's" $67.4 million, and the fourth biggest March debut ever.
Source: http://www.usnews.com/news/entertainmen ... 75-million

Tristy wrote:Btw, did anyone else notice a picture of Bongo the bear on Judy's apartment room wall?
I didn't notice that, but apart from the most obvious references, I think I saw one to Bambi in the scene that takes place in a museum. According to the directors there are lots of Easter eggs in Zootopia:
Howard: This is perhaps the most Easter egg-packed movie ever made by Disney.

Moore: Hidden Mickey-ed movie. If you like sign gags, there's tons of them all throughout. As soon as you get into the city of "Zootopia," there are sign gags. If you like silly puns, there's some and there's groaners. If you like Disney references, I think it may be the first time, maybe "Aladdin" had a few with the Genie, but we went for it because we wanted it to feel like our world. In their world, they have their version of Disney movies. Let's show 'em.

Howard: Here's one that no one knows yet. Our character designer is a big fan of Patrick Swayze's "Road House," and one of the villains wears a t-shirt that is a homage to the bar in "Road House."
Source: http://www.moviefone.com/2016/03/02/zoo ... interview/
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

taei wrote:
Maerj wrote:Is this worth seeing in 3D or IMAX 3D?
Nope. Not worth it. Just watch it in a regular screen.

Yep, found that out for myself. 3D added NOTHING to this film. Good film, but you can skip the 3D for sure.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here are more behind the scenes articles and videos. First, an article about how the world of Zootopia was created. It includes an exclusive featurette:

A city guide to the boroughs of 'Zootopia'
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movi ... /81221188/

Another article that also features a video, this one about the technical advances of the film:

Fur technology makes Zootopia's bunnies believable
http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/04/fur- ... elievable/

An interview with an actual car designer that helped to create the vehicles for the different animals in Zootopia. He was first hired by John Lasseter to work on Cars and has also contributed to the design of Baymax superhero armour for Big Hero 6:

The Fantastic Cars Of Disney’s Zootopia Came From This Iconic Designer
http://jalopnik.com/how-disney-s-zootop ... 1762567392

Some impressive artwotk by art director of environments Matthias Lechner:
http://www.matthiaslechner.com/zootopia.html

Whoa: This "Zootopia" character looks different around the world
http://hellogiggles.com/zootopia-newscaster-character/

Try Everything full official music video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6rP-YP4c5I[/youtube]
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I LOVED this movie!

Even though rabbits are my favorite animal, I didn't think I would like the rabbit, Judy, from the trailers, but I liked her a lot, and the fox.

It's funny Disney's alternate Snow White was the star of this!

But wth is up with every Disney movie these days having a girl force a guy to grudgingly go on a buddy journey with her and then they like each other, or have a twist villain?!!!

I loved Try Everything! I didn't even know it was an original song just for this film.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Disney Duster wrote:I LOVED this movie!

Even though rabbits are my favorite animal, I didn't think I would like the rabbit, Judy, from the trailers, but I liked her a lot, and the fox.

But wth is up with every Disney movie these days having a girl force a guy to grudgingly go on a buddy journey with her and then they like each other, or have a twist villain?!!!

I loved Try Everything! I didn't even know it was an original song just for this film.
I guess one thing that is a bit different is that Judy and Nick don't end up falling in love with one another.
tweeb²
Limited Issue

Post by tweeb² »

This picture with Judy in the rain looks just like film noire, and has such a sad vibe, its awesome!

http://www.matthiaslechner.com/uploads/ ... 0_orig.jpg
Seriously it looks amazing.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I wonder how long it'll take to get a tv series out. You know it'll happen.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Up until now, I've been kinda 'meh' on what this movie had to offer.

After finally seeing it, Zootopia turned out WAY better than expected!
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Tristy wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:I LOVED this movie!

I guess one thing that is a bit different is that Judy and Nick don't end up falling in love with one another.
Yea. And the twist villain fit with the cop mystery genre.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Well, look out Frozen. Zootopia might steal your #1 Highest Ranking Animated Film rank. It has ALREADY made $400 million!

http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/art ... 0m-global/

I'm seeing it tomorrow. I can not wait!