Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Moana

Post by Sotiris »

In Italy, the movie will be called "Oceania".
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

DisneyFan09 wrote:And let's hope this film will have some magic and just not the so-called Lasseter formula.
Lasseter often says that for every laughter there should be a tear. What I consider to be Lasseter's fingerprints are scenes like in Cars 2, where Lightning McQueen is asked if Mater is his friend. He says he is, and then get in reply "then why do you want him to change?" (didn't see the movie, only a few clips in youtube, so there could be more moments like that). Of in Wreck-it Ralph where the villains ends they meeting with the "I'm bad, and that's good..." mantra, and then repeated again as Ralph is willing to sacrifice himself to save the day.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Lasseter often says that for every laughter there should be a tear.
Yes, they have it in Moana: Her grandma's death
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

disneyprincess11 wrote: Yes, they have it in Moana: Her grandma's death
Noooo! ...if done right, that'll probably gut me. I think the only other (sad) death scene M&C have ever really done is Ray from TP&TF. Oh, and Mr. Arrow. I guess this is the catalyst for her leaving the island maybe?
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote: Yes, they have it in Moana: Her grandma's death
I guess this is the catalyst for her leaving the island maybe?
It is

This was all revealed at the Expo and they actually joked, "It's a Disney movie, folks" :lol: But, I'm putting it as spoilers anyway
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Here's a cute video of Auli'l and Te Vaka dancing during a Te Vaka concert

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F55K5Su61Q[/youtube]
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

A sneak peak of the movie was on during the Disney Christmas Parade with the first footage and two, new promotional stills

ONLY AT THE BEGINNING:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk2MIziDjJs[/youtube]

Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

Thank you disneyprincess11 for providing proof that I didn't just get drunk on Eggnog and hallucinate while I was watching the parade broadcast this morning. It totally took me by surprise, since Disney doesn't normally promote their animated movies 11 months in advance.

I think Maui's design looks much better in motion and that's all I can judge from this split second clip.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Maui definitely seems like a big fun guy. Despite what some people say, I have a feeling he will get a female fanbase because he is attractive in an unusual way. Not to mention some people like a big beautiful man.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... autifulMan
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Tangled wrote:I think Maui's design looks much better in motion and that's all I can judge from this split second clip.
Exactly my thoughts as well!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Wow, Moana looks great! :) She almost have a Mark Hehn-vibe to her. Too bad the Maui clip was too short.
In Italy, the movie will be called "Oceania".
At least it's not Atlantica or Atlantis! ;)

Pardon my cheap joke, but I couldn't help it.
Last edited by DisneyFan09 on Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silvershade

Post by Silvershade »

ce1ticmoon wrote:
Tangled wrote:I think Maui's design looks much better in motion and that's all I can judge from this split second clip.
Exactly my thoughts as well!
And here I thought he was a giant Cabbage Patch Kid that got his face squished in. Good to see he will look much smoother in animation, looks like he'll be fun to watch.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Maui does look better in the film and I think I noticed Eric Goldberg's animation of his tattoos. Pretty subtle and nice combo of CG and 2-D.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Sorry for not responding! I had a busy weekend.

But, yeah. Maui looks excellent, animated. I love how the tattoos move. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if one of Maui's song is 2D animated to keep in the style of the tattoos. The new promo picture with them on sea is absolutely stunning, even though Moana's smile looks a little awkward. November 2016 can't come soon enough.

BTW: It sounds like to me based on that picture, that Tiki guy, Moke Moke is gone from the movie. I really hope this is true because we don't need a comedic, taking sidekick. This movie sounds like it doesn't need it.

To refresh your memory:
http://www.filmdivider.com/7146/disney- ... -entirely/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

She looks fantastic! :up: :up: :up: According to IG, this was from a commercial about movies next year. Gosh, we're getting SO MUCH stuff :o I don't think Frozen had anything officially released by Disney like this
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:She looks fantastic! :up: :up: :up: According to IG, this was from a commercial about movies next year. Gosh, we're getting SO MUCH stuff :o I don't think Frozen had anything officially released by Disney like this
We all remember the reaction this image got back in December 2012. Frozen's marketing was just atrocious.Image
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sorry to nitpick, but that was at least a concept art. Though it turned out to be not that different from their final design. And I remember there were almost no stills or such released for "Frozen" before three months prior to it's release. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't like that still of Moana. But I'm going to be diplomatic and wait to the other stills to judge.

And btw. Reviewers and users in general were ranting about Elsa and Anna's huge eyes. And that Anna resembled Rapunzel. I wonder what they'll rant about with Moana. Being a Polynesian version of Merida? :P Or a CGI version of Tiana? :P
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

DisneyFan09 wrote: And btw. Reviewers and users in general were ranting about Elsa and Anna's huge eyes. And that Anna resembled Rapunzel. I wonder what they'll rant about with Moana. Being a Polynesian version of Merida? :P Or a CGI version of Tiana? :P
Honestly, most of Disney's CGI main female characters look exactly the same, with their hair colour, eye colour, and/or skin colour changed. Moana just has a different body shape, but all of their faces look practically identical.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I’m surprised you all could get an impression of Maui’s face from those drive-by shots of animation? I had to watch it 3 times, but even now… I guess it’s nice his face doesn’t look squashed together while he’s talking? And looking at that picture of him holding the pig—I can’t even tell much difference between their faces. :lol: But maybe that was a deliberate design choice?

Moana looks cute in that still (the one with the seashell).
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"