Muppets Most Wanted

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Muppets Most Wanted

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I actually think that Disney is promoting this movie a lot. (I guess we're just not posting everything in this thread!) This video was just released today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fPTTJJcBWM
(Since the forum was re-done, I guess I don't know how to embed videos, sorry!)

Mini-backpacks promoting this movie are going to be the newest kids' meal prize at Subway. Constantine has been added to the California Adventure MuppetVision 3D Pre-show. (these stories and more: http://www.laughingplace.com/w/tag/muppets-most-wanted/ )

There are quite a few videos on the Muppets' YouTube channel promoting this film:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MuppetsStudio

The Disney Store has a whole display section with stuffed animals, figurines, and cups for this movie, and they're playing videos from it pretty often. Disney Channel advertises this movie a lot, too.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Yeah, I've been seeing some solid promotion for the movie around a lot of places. I know the Oscars got a good trailer the other night, and I'm pretty sure the Super Bowl had one or two as well.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

I have a feeling that this is going to be a really good movie especially the short that preceeds it. :)
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I'm seeing it around and such, but not as much as the first I don't think, and there isn't the hype from the people as much either. . .
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Atlantica wrote:I'm seeing it around and such, but not as much as the first I don't think, and there isn't the hype from the people as much either. . .
This might do it. I'm cracking up about this right now. This is brilliant marketing by Disney with this ad.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZecuWBC0LU[/youtube]
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

I'm SO excited for this movie.

It's almost surreal seeing the Muppets so popular again, especially after they were basically non-existent for over a decade.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Yet there's still no Muppet Show in sight. I really hope that's the next step. I may have liked the last Muppet movie and will probably enjoy Most Wanted but their bread and and butter to me is on tv doing skits, not feature length movies.
Last edited by Kyle on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

Honestly I feel the complete opposite haha, I MUCH prefer the movies to the show... but I've never been a huge fan of sketch comedy.

Also I think it's a generational thing, the show ended production before I was even born, and I'm not familiar with a lot of the guest stars' work outside their appearance on the Muppet Show. I'd gladly welcome a new Muppet Show with more modern guest stars whose work I'm familiar with.

I just got the soundtrack in the mail today and I'm debating whether or not I want to listen to I before I see the movie or not lol.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I like both, although I might ultimately prefer the show. I'm a fan of film and TV from way back, so a lot of the hosts are familiar to me, and at the end of the day, there have only been 3 really good Muppets movies so far IMO- the first, Christmas Carol, and the last one.

I'm hoping this new one will become the fourth, though. And I too would gladly welcome a new series.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

rexcrk wrote:Also I think it's a generational thing, the show ended production before I was even born, and I'm not familiar with a lot of the guest stars' work outside their appearance on the Muppet Show.
I'm in the same boat, I was born in 1988. I too didn't know most of the celebrities. Didn't matter much to me though, I didn't watch for the references. I just like how they were able to do whatever crazy thing that came to mind. Short form muppets feels more organic and spontaneous. Movie Muppets often take themselves too seriously for my tastes.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

The reviews are in.... and they are lukewarm at best. 77% at RottenTomatoes.

Some critics seem to like it for what it is and others are indifferent to it.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Well I liked it. If you really want to look at the plot, I'm sure you'll find some flaws, but who cares? It's the Muppets, and they're as funny as ever.

"Party Central" was also great.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

I thought it was better than "The Muppets" but it didn't rely heavily on nostalgia and sweetness which were what resonated with people for that. I don't think that one is as rewatchable as other Muppets films once you know what's coming.

This one had a better story, songs, and funny moments imo. It also brought some of the Muppets who were mostly ignored in the last one (thanks to Walter and the human leads) back to the forefront. Tina Fey was also great. I can see why the first one was better received but this just seemed more in the spirit of the Muppets instead of the spirit of "the Muppets are back"

The Monsters University short is a hoot as well!
LADY Image CLUCK
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Lady Cluck wrote:. I can see why the first one was better received but this just seemed more in the spirit of the Muppets instead of the spirit of "the Muppets are back"
I think that might be because Divergent is taking up the ticket sales with it the total of Thursdays and Friday's sales at 22 million currently.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

?

I meant reaction from critics and audiences which was overwhelmingly positive compared to this which is "good, not great." The reviews are significantly better than Divergent's shitty reviews at least.

It is underperforming at the box office though :( The Muppets will be shoved back in to the Disney vault I guess.
LADY Image CLUCK
chadhobbick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by chadhobbick »

I saw this today, and the thing just couldn't hold my interest at all. I enjoyed searching for all the cameos, but past that it was very slow in parts. I know the storyline is somewhat new, a Kermit doppelganger, but seriously...a jewel heist?! That's been done before in a Muppet movie, the far superior the Great Muppet Caper. I really felt let-down after the comeback movie. I felt the missing component here was Jason Segel, not in an actor role, but as a writer; I hope Disney can get him back to write for the next movie. I know Pixar writers contributed somewhat to the last Muppet film, in a polish up the script way, does anyone know if they assisted in this one at all? I wasn't a fan of the music either. When the first song started, I thought I need to purchase the soundtrack for the cd, but as the movie progressed I kept thinking I would never want to listen to that song on the soundtrack. Although, I did enjoy the call back to the song "Together Again," from the Muppets Take Manhattan.

I know it's like I have just picked apart the movie, but I'm a huge Muppets fan, and I just felt this one fell flat for me. The reviews I read beforehand had me nervous, but as a fan and knowing that Disney might not use them any further, I had to go out and support the Muppets.
I find you pompous, judgemental, and completely self-absorbed.........would you be my friend?
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

I saw it last night, it was okay almost nodded off a couple times probably due to the fact that the showing started at 10:20 PM and I had quite a long day. But it just didn't have the same spark that the other Muppet films had even the one from a couple years back. Tina Fey was funny, I have become a fan of Ty Burrell he never disappoints. But was just rather stale, the whole Constantine/Kermit thing dragged out a bit. The constant bad guy #1, #2 and the musical # about that subject was a bit irritating. Overall it was okay far from great, I won't be seeing it again. Just walked away with a bit of disappointment thinking their are so many different ways they could have taken it that might have been a bit better. Funnier story-line, more music #s more skits with the muppets etc.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Lady Cluck wrote:?

I meant reaction from critics and audiences which was overwhelmingly positive compared to this which is "good, not great." The reviews are significantly better than Divergent's shitty reviews at least.

It is underperforming at the box office though :( The Muppets will be shoved back in to the Disney vault I guess.
Oh no! Don't tell me it flop! :o
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

More musical numbers? It had A LOT of music (more than The Muppets) and the songs were much better imo. No "We Built This City on Rock and Roll" filler either :roll: You must have fallen asleep during some of them.

And yes it's a flop at the box office. People are exaggerating how negative the reviews are (77% at RT isn't that bad). Goodbye to the Muppets.
LADY Image CLUCK