The Beatles 50th Anniversary Discussion..........

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

The Beatles 50th Anniversary Discussion..........

Post by dvdjunkie »

February 9, CBS television will be presenting a 50th Anniversary Concert of The Beatles music featuring Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and lots of other artists performing Beatles songs that topped the American charts 50 years ago.

The Beatles made their American television debut on The Ed Sullivan Show, from the same theater that now is home to David Letterman's Late Night show.

Hard to believe that it has been 50 years, but then when music is good and memorable, time passes by quickly. Some of the Lennon-McCartney penned songs have been recorded by hundreds of artists around the world.

Should be a really good show that begins at 8 pm Eastern/7 Central. Will you be watching?
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Beatles 50th Anniversary Discussion..........

Post by Musical Master »

That could be nice to watch, especially that Paul and Ringo will perform together. :)
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I love the Beatles.....I have all their CDs....but I won't be watching because I don't care to see other "artists" mangle their music. I think I'll rewatch that first season episode of American Dreams about Beatlemania. Or that underrated film I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978).
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

That sounds great, I'll certainly be giving it a watch if it's shown in the UK. Hopefully this year sees more Blu-Ray releases of their films - it's the 50th anniversary of the Maysles Brothers' documentary on their first US visit, What's Happening! The Beatles In The U.S.A. and, of course, the 45th anniversary of the much-requested Let It Be. A remastered release of the complete Shea Stadium concert would also be wondrous.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

carolinakid wrote:
I love the Beatles.....I have all their CDs....but I won't be watching because I don't care to see other "artists" mangle their music. I think I'll rewatch that first season episode of American Dreams about Beatlemania. Or that underrated film I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978).
Instead of those films why not watch "A Hard Day's Night" or "Help", or even "Magical Mystery Tour"? They are all available on Blu-ray and DVD and would make a very good watch. Another great film filled with Beatles music is "Across The Universe".
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Hope that a lot of you watched "The Grammy's Tribute to the 50th Anniversary of The Beatles" last night on CBS. It was 2 1/2 hours of great music, and great interviews, and some very good artists like Imagine Dragons, Stevie Wonder, Maroon 5, Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh, John Legend, Alicia Keys, Katy Perry, Dave Grohl, Dhani Harrison, and, of course, Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr the sole surviving Beatles.

LL Cool J was the emcee, and the audience was filled with a who's who of Hollywood. The memories were great and there were some classic moments that made me happy that I DVR'd this show so I can watch it over and over again.

It was good to see Paul and Ringo together again on the same stage, and it was truly one of the best two and a half hours I have spent in front of the television in a long time.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Because of the ratings, CBS has announced they will repeat the Grammys Salute to the Beatles 50th Anniversary show at least twice more this year. The combined ratings of the Olympics for its 8-hour run on NBC couldn't even get close to the ratings of this spectacular array of stars paying tribute in song to the Fab Four.

Paul McCartney has been quoted as saying "we never expected to have this kind of impact on the American music scene". It is reported in Entertainment Weekly that Paul will be releasing the "Let It Be" concert movie to coincide with the next showing of the Beatles 50th Anniversary Show.

No tentative dates have been set for the repeat showings of this highly-watched show.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

It was a great night, although Katy Perry (while she wasn't bad) was the weak link with her breathy performance.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan