Frozen: Part V

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Frozen: Part V

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Atlantica wrote:
thelittleursula wrote:Just guessing here, but it's getting good word of mouth and it also has good re-watch value, lovable characters ( like Olaf and Elsa) and imo one of the best Disney Villains since ages.
I don't think the characters are any more loveable and rewatchable than those in Tangled and Wreck it Ralph though ?

I think you have hit the nail on the head DancingCrab, very much so.
I disagree on both counts. One, because Frozen has a much stronger cast than either Tangled or WIR. Two, because that doesn't account for why WIR went down instead of up after following Tangled and why Frozen went so far above the other two.

It's possible that TP&TF and WIR gave viewers' newfound confidence in Disney, but Tangled regressed--causing the films that followed the former two to go up, and the one to follow the latter to go down.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. I thought I'd combined. Oops. :oops:
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
It's possible that TP&TF and WIR gave viewers' newfound confidence in Disney, but Tangled regressed--causing the films that followed the former two to go up, and the one to follow the latter to go down.
Regardless of your feelings on Tangled, there is no chance that it negatively affected audience's confidence in Disney, it is certainly a more popular film than Ralph and TPATF.

It is simply that things don't work out that neatly. Yes, Frozen's performance is due to the popularity of preceding films but that doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a perfect positive linear scale. Ralph only finished 10 million behind Tangled in the States, and that could be down to the appeal of the film itself, confidence in WDAS not being the only factor.
Last edited by qindarka on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
MeerkatKombat wrote:Part of me just wishes it had been traditional 2D animation.
I agree so much! It hurts more to know that it actually was supposed to be 2D. :cry:
Well, according to Disney & the modern moviegoers, this was the reason why

Meanwhile, this was a $200mil+ hit

The people spoke & Disney bought it :roll: Just sad the 2D animation at disney ended with this!
Last edited by DisneyEra on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

qindarka wrote: Regardless of your feelings on Tangled, there is no chance that it negatively affected audience's confidence in Disney, it is certainly a more popular film than Ralph and TPATF.

It is simply that things don't work out that neatly. Yes, Frozen's performance is due to the popularity of preceding films but that doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a perfect positive linear scale. Ralph only finished 10 million behind Tangled in the States, and that could be down to the appeal of the film itself, confidence in WDAS not being the only factor.
Put your own personal feelings aside if you think that Frozen's performance is all due to Tangled, but WIR's lack of the same success has nothing to do with it. I personally think WIR was also a better film than Tangled, and it would make more sense if it inspired the larger numbers.

Also, stop talking in fact's. There's no certainty that Frozen's performance has anything to do with their previous films at all. Like I said, if that were true, WIR would have done better.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Well, we found out the Lopezes' new Disney project!
ROCK OF AGES Scribe Allan Loeb to Pen BOB THE MUSICAL For Disney with FROZEN Songwriting Team!

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/RO ... m-20140106

ROCK OF AGES Scribe Allan Loeb to Pen BOB THE MUSICAL For Disney with FROZEN Songwriting Team!

Allan Loeb, who wrote the movie musical adaptation of ROCK OF AGES, is embarking on a new project for Disney.

The Hollywood Reporter writes that Loeb will pen the upcoming musical comedy BOB THE MUSICAL, which will feature music and lyrics by AVENUE Q and THE BOOK OF MORMON Tony Award-winner Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, who just worked alongside composer Christopher Beck for Disney's FROZEN.

BOB THE MUSICAL, which has been in development since 2004, follows a man who gets struck on the head and afterward begins to hear "the inner songs of everyone's heart as his reality is instantly turned into a musical".

Adam Shankman, who helmed 2012's ROCK OF AGES film adaptation, as well as Phil Lord and Chris Miller have been in talks for the director's chair, but there is no official word on who will lead BOB THE MUSICAL.

Chris Bender, J.C. Spink, Jake Weiner, Beau Flynn and Tripp Vinson are producing.

Aside from ROCK OF AGES, Loeb has written screenplays for Things We Lost in the Fire, 21, Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, The Switch, The Dilemma, Just Go With It, Here Comes the Boom, So Undercover, the upcoming film San Andreas, and the TV mini-series New Amsterdam.

Robert Lopez is a three-time Tony Award-winning writer of the Tony and Grammy Award-winning musical THE BOOK OF MORMON. Lopez teamed with Jeff Marx for the musical AVENUE Q, which ran for six years on Broadway and four years in London's West End. Lopez and writing partner Kristen Anderson-Lopez wrote original songs for 2011's WINNIE THE POOH, a stage version of FINDING NEMO and a new musical called UP HERE.

DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I love how in tumblr everybody was hoping the film would crash and burn, and looking now at the numbers it's turning into the hottest thing of Disney in years.

I wonder what will the tumblerers explain for that success.
Really? Why would the tumblerers wanting that?
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote:I love how in tumblr everybody was hoping the film would crash and burn, and looking now at the numbers it's turning into the hottest thing of Disney in years.

So far as I've seen, everyone on tumblr loves it...
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

"bob the musical" makes me think of bob the builder, lol
big kid at heart
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

DisneyFan09 wrote:

I know. There were a good amount of them who were ESTATIC for this film to come out and when it did... They loved it.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
qindarka wrote: Regardless of your feelings on Tangled, there is no chance that it negatively affected audience's confidence in Disney, it is certainly a more popular film than Ralph and TPATF.

Put your own personal feelings aside if you think that Frozen's performance is all due to Tangled, but WIR's lack of the same success has nothing to do with it. I personally think WIR was also a better film than Tangled, and it would make more sense if it inspired the larger numbers.

Also, stop talking in fact's. There's no certainty that Frozen's performance has anything to do with their previous films at all. Like I said, if that were true, WIR would have done better.
From where I'm standing it's really about want the audience looks at a movie and what they want, not to take the previous Disney films to an account. The audience "votes" for which movie to watch in the movie theater.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Frozen's biggest fan is back once again. This time she says the reason for Frozen's repeat success is because of lack of Boxoffice competition, while Tangled & WiR had real better competition. She then goes on to Rant how when adjusted for inflation, Frozen doesn't even cracks WDAS Top 10 money grossers. The jealousy of Frozen's success is pathetic, but also funny :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75_TzfcJ-ik[/youtube]
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Atlantica wrote:
I don't think the characters are any more loveable and rewatchable than those in Tangled and Wreck it Ralph though ?

Opinions, guess ? =3
DisneyEra wrote:Frozen's biggest fan is back once again. This time she says the reason for Frozen's repeat success is because of lack of Boxoffice competition, while Tangled & WiR had real better competition. She then goes on to Rant how when adjusted for inflation, Frozen doesn't even cracks WDAS Top 10 money grossers. The jealousy of Frozen's success is pathetic, but also funny :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75_TzfcJ-ik[/youtube]

Keep on being butthurt Grace, keep on being butthurt.

Last edited by thelittleursula on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

Looking at the budget, it's crazy to think Disney has made around half a billion off this movie so far (when you include foreign gross). :o Not including the album sales + all the merchandise the movie will easily move. If Disney followed the model of other animation companies, I wonder how huge a Frozen sequel would end up being... :huh:
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

What a pathetic creature :lol: And delusional too. Adjusted for inflation, Frozen is currently 3rd domestically for WDAS and 10th for WDAS/Pixar combined for the last 30 years (going back further gets muddy). It will probably be 6th or 7th at the end of its run for the latter, which is great considering Pixar has dominated Disney at the box office in the modern era. It's doing well internationally too and was #1 in its 6th week of release, something that doesn't happen unless a movie has a lot of good word of mouth. But yeah its not a real hit at all :roll:

Also, Frozen is currently the 178th highest grossing movie of ALL TIME adjusted for inflation and still has at least a few weeks of making decent money so it'll get a lot higher than that. No one can play the inflation card anymore.
LADY Image CLUCK
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

DisneyEra wrote: Well, according to Disney & the modern moviegoers, this was the reason why

Meanwhile, this was a $200mil+ hit

The people spoke & Disney bought it :roll: Just sad the 2D animation at disney ended with this!
The worst part is that they were released very closely. Disney should have released "Princess and the Frog" in a time when there where so much competition.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Wasn't Pooh the lowest grossing film of these times? Maybe the reason they cut down handdrawn animation was due to Pooh flopping (thanks to that horrible release date- just next to Harry Potter? It's like Disney was expecting it to bomb)
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

thedisneyspirit wrote:Wasn't Pooh the lowest grossing film of these times? Maybe the reason they cut down handdrawn animation was due to Pooh flopping (thanks to that horrible release date- just next to Harry Potter? It's like Disney was expecting it to bomb)
I've never heard pf WtP as the reason 2D animation ended at WDAS. P&tF took the blame. Also, Pooh himself even mocked Harry Potter in this short ad :lol: Disney knew what was coming but still poked fun at it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMeTL1seIWo[/youtube]
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
DisneyEra wrote: Well, according to Disney & the modern moviegoers, this was the reason why

The worst part is that they were released very closely. Disney should have released "Princess and the Frog" in a time when there where so much competition.
The competition excuse only goes so far. It opened at no.1, but just shy of 25 million, which is a lot less than Tangled, Ralph and Frozen.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/ ... =50&p=.htm

And competition with Harry Potter wasn't what doomed Winnie the Pooh, it finished behind 5 other films on its opening weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/ch ... =29&p=.htm
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

qindarka wrote:
DisneyFan09 wrote: The worst part is that they were released very closely. Disney should have released "Princess and the Frog" in a time when there where so much competition.
The competition excuse only goes so far. It opened at no.1, but just shy of 25 million, which is a lot less than Tangled, Ralph and Frozen.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/ ... =50&p=.htm

And competition with Harry Potter wasn't what doomed Winnie the Pooh, it finished behind 5 other films on its opening weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/ch ... =29&p=.htm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendel ... ne-screen/

Disney attempted to reignite the Disney animation brand, and 2D hand-drawn animation, in the wake of Pixar and Dreamworks’ domination in late 2009 with The Princess and the Frog. Since it was being sold as an old-school Disney cartoon, they attempted the old-school release pattern. But it (I’ve long argued) backfired horribly. The film sat on two screens over Thanksgiving weekend and racked up a terrific $393k and $373k per-screen figure respectively over those two weekends. It also left the film unreachable for the countless families who would have flocked to it over Thanksgiving weekend, with the vast majority of the film’s publicity occurring during that period when it was unable to actually be seen.

By the time the film debuted in mid-December, there was no buzz and the world had moved on to Avatar‘s impending debut and pre-release raves. Competition with Disney’s early-November release A Christmas Carol aside, I still argue to this day that The Princess and the Frog would have performed far better both on opening weekend ($24 million) and overall ($104m domestic, $267m worldwide, no small sum) had it gone wide on Thanksgiving. Disney didn’t make the same mistake twice, with Tangled dropping in wide release over Thanksgiving weekend to the tune of $68 million over the long holiday. Wreck-It-Ralph opened wide in early November 2012 and went without the Disney platform strategy for an opening weekend gross of $49m.
Last edited by DisneyEra on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I guess people were just tired of so many Pooh sequels, especially ones for theater, that they just skipped this one.

Kinda funny since this film is the most different in comparison to the other Pooh sequels.
Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I guess people were just tired of so many Pooh sequels, especially ones for theater, that they just skipped this one.

Kinda funny since this film is the most different in comparison to the other Pooh sequels.
It certainly did not help that Pooh is looked upon as little kids stuff, and that the film is very short for a feature film. And I think word of mouth would be a lot more reserved, because let's face it, any grown-up that tells their friends that they saw it in theaters, will probably get laughed at.

Don't me get wrong, I did like the film, as I thought it had a lot of charm to it, and one of the few Disney sequels that I'll watch. If this was the end of 2D, Pooh was really not a bad way go out on. A lot better than "Home on the Range".