Will Disney save Star Wars?

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Re: Will Disney save Star Wars?

Post by Elladorine »

PatrickvD wrote:Blasphemy!!!

:lol:
I technically should be a fan, given that my mother always claimed that my middle name was taken from Princess Leia. ;) But not only is my middle name spelled and pronounced differently, I was born well over a year before the Episode IV was even released. :lol:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

enigmawing wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:Blasphemy!!!

:lol:
I technically should be a fan, given that my mother always claimed that my middle name was taken from Princess Leia. ;) But not only is my middle name spelled and pronounced differently, I was born well over a year before the Episode IV was even released. :lol:
:D

Still, the force may be stronger than you think. :wink:

I wonder if Episode 7 will, by the time it is released, have generated a similar kind of hype as Episode 1...
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

PatrickvD wrote:Still, the force may be stronger than you think. :wink:

I wonder if Episode 7 will, by the time it is released, have generated a similar kind of hype as Episode 1...
Hmm, you might have a point there. Maybe I should do my hair up in those buns and try to channel the Force . . . ? :D

I've seen the original trilogy a handful of times, and saw Episode I in the theater, and just . . . I'm not sure, I guess I lost interest. I should sit down one of these days and watch the original trilogy again at the very least so I can be up to speed. I've yet to even see Episodes II & III, and I'd wager there's a lot of fans out there that would say it's a good thing. :mischief:
Big One
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Big One »

bradhig wrote:How do you think I feel. There's a Voltron forum I am on where they won't let hate anything cause the mods have ban / unban authority due to the admin claiming his too busy to run the board. I got in trouble for hating voltron force the only thing I do hate. I see no reason to hate the prequels.
Well everyone has an opinion, and the majority opinion is that the prequels are considering worse than the originals. Now I used to be a huge Star Wars guy and a huge mark for the original trilogy, but after I've gotten older I've realized that the original trilogy wasn't really perfect either, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the prequels are loaded with problems.

1. The acting - While the acting in the original trilogy wasn't by any means amazing, it was serviceable, had it's moments, and the characters all had very relatable personalities. Han acts like any other asshole in the world does, for example. But with the prequels, the only characters to even act like a normal human being are the aliens which is ironic. However, most of the time the aliens are CG comedy creatures that are merely background characters. All the human characters in the prequels act boring and stiff from the Jedi, the Sith, the dudes out partying in the clubs, the bounty hunters, the troopers, etc. There's absolutely no reason why every character should have deadpan delivery on almost all of their lines.

2. The story - Believe it or not, I do not think the concepts introduced in the prequels are that bad. Everyone complains about midichlorians but I've never had a real problem with it other than the deadpan delivery of something that should be a major reveal. The problem is the actual content in the said story. For example, there really isn't one logical reason why the storyline in Episode 1 occurs. Nothing that happens in Episode 1 outside of a few moments, did anything to lead into, or explain something that the sequels will benefit from. Episode 1 should've started where Episode 2 started, and instead of Anakin being a creepy dude stalking his childhood crush he could fall in love with this gorgeous politician and develop that entire relationship across three episodes, rather than two. This would give a true three-part character arc, like how Luke had in the original trilogy. This would give the series time to really get people attached to Anakin as a relatable character. Of course it needs good writing to back it up, but you understand what I mean.

3. The kids - Another aspect to the prequels, and to be honest this is a problem with Episode VI also, is it's constant pandering to children. There are way too many stupid jokes, funny characters, and unnecessary scenes that are really just targeted at one audience. Then if it's not that, it's hours of boring, deadpan political mumbo-jumbo that has no real meaning cause George Lucas can't write proper political conversations ever. This creates a disparity of what these films are even trying to appeal too. The original trilogy had content that could appeal to all ages, not have sections where this part of the movie appeals to kids (Jar Jar scenes), this part of the movie appeals to nerds (politics), and this part of the movie appeals to adults (characters dying such as CHILDREN getting slaughtered).

4. The direction - This is something that could be debated, but what I can say to you is just watch the documentaries where Lucas is making the movies. Lucas makes sure to make the films "perfect." In Lucas' eyes, for some reason, perfection means the all the above problems are major aspects to how these movies are. I remember in one of the documentaries where Lucas and the production crew viewed the movie for the first time, Lucas said, "That was no good." A real director who is actually enthusiastic about his project and wants to improve it, would say, "That's good, but what can we do to make this better?" Lucas has such a negative and sorry attitude that he won't be satisfied till the movies fit his picture of how things should be. Lucas, nowadays, surrounds himself with yes men when back then when Lucas tried pitching these long, awful scripts he written himself that are actually WORSE than the prequels in content, producers turned them down cause they were garbage. It was only through other people that Lucas' vision truly shined to a major audience. When Lucas got full control, no one said no to him. Episode V and VI were directed by other people, and that should've been the same for the prequel trilogy.

Episode VII not being directed by Lucas will already make it better than the prequels.
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HarryCanyon »

Yes i think Leonardo would make a good Jedi.

So filming begins early next year right and we'll have a Christmas release eh?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

HarryCanyon wrote:Yes i think Leonardo would make a good Jedi.

So filming begins early next year right and we'll have a Christmas release eh?
What's this about Leonardo? Are we talking about Leo DiCaprio 'Leonardo'? :?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 »

I personally enjoyed the prequels (yes, even Jar Jar), and I grew up with the original trilogy on VHS (born in 1980). I'm looking forward to Episode VII, and the fact that all three main cast members are involved makes my inner geek jump for joy.

While I respect Disney and Lucasfilm's desire to tell a new story, I'd still like them to incorporate elements from some of the EU novels, like Lucas himself did with the name Coruscant (coined by Timothy Zahn in "Heir to the Empire"). The so-called "Thrawn trilogy" has a very interesting yet tragic core story, and I'd love to see how much (if any) of that makes it onto film.
God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

"THERE SHOULDN'T BE AN EPISODE 7 AND BEYOND AFTER 6!!" is what I would say. But I (kind of) outgrew the Star Wars in me years before (Go, Star Trek! ... deal with it.) so anything happens, ain't a problem to me. ... I mean, I'll end up seeing this, but I won't be as hyped as I was when the prequels were released in theaters.
This is DisneyFTW1, a former Youtube account that was terminated by Disney themselves. My current Youtube Account is FilmFTW2 (FilmFTW1 was terminated). Youtube sucks when it comes to film uploads, and it sucks even more when major corporations are following your channels. But what can I do?
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heil Donald Duck »

Another pointless sequel
Der Fuehrer's Face is the greatest Donald Duck cartoon ever made.