D23 Expo 2011

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

D23 Expo 2011

Post by Sotiris »

The Walt Disney Studios Takes Fans Behind the Scenes at the D23 Expo
http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2011/08/t ... -d23-expo/
On Saturday, August 20, Rich Ross, chairman, The Walt Disney Studios; Sean Bailey, president, Production, The Walt Disney Studios; John Lasseter, chief creative officer, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios; and Kevin Feige, producer and president, Marvel Studios, will present a not-to-be-missed look at The Walt Disney Studios’ upcoming film slate, which includes Disney’s The Muppets, John Carter, Disney/Pixar’s Brave, Marvel’s The Avengers, Tim Burton’s Frankenweenie, Oz The Great and Powerful, and more.

With projects from Disney, Pixar Animation Studios, and Marvel Studios, this special presentation will feature never-before-seen footage and all-star appearances by Jason Segel, Kermit, and Miss Piggy (Disney’s The Muppets), Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, and Willem Dafoe (John Carter), Kelly Macdonald and Kevin McKidd (Brave), Jennifer Garner (The Odd Life of Timothy Green), Jack McBrayer and Sarah Silverman (Wreck-It Ralph), cast members from Marvel’s The Avengers, and other surprise guests.

Out on the Expo floor, fans can explore the world of The Walt Disney Studios at their leisure with comprehensive exhibits, including:

•Walt Disney Studios Animation
Experience the art, technology, culture, and legacy of Walt Disney Animation Studios with filmmaker demonstrations, drawing classes, book signings, meet-and-greets, and art exhibits.

•Walt Disney Studios In-Home Entertainment
Dive into cutting-edge home entertainment technology and learn what the future holds for Disney movie fans, with sneak peeks of upcoming films in breathtaking high-definition Blu-ray 3D™ and more.

•Inside Tides: Pirates of the Caribbean Film Prop Collection
Get an up-close look at an exclusive collection of detailed set pieces, props, and costumes from the billion-dollar blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

In celebration of 25 years of moviemaking magic, five sessions will be devoted to the artistry and technical wizardry of Pixar:

•A Conversation with the Pixar Creative Team
Enjoy a rare opportunity to spend some time with the key figures responsible for Pixar’s unprecedented success, including John Lasseter (chief creative officer, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios), Jim Morris (general manager, Pixar Animation Studios), Pete Docter (director, Monsters, Inc., Up), Andrew Stanton (director, Finding Nemo, WALL-E), Bob Peterson (co-director, Up), Lee Unkrich (director, Toy Story 3), Mark Andrews (director, Brave), and Dan Scanlon (director, Monsters University).

•The Characters of Monsters University
Director Dan Scanlon and Production Designer Ricky Nierva discuss how they combine hair, horns, and a lot of heart to bring the wonderful Monsters University characters to life.

•Michael Giacchino’s Music of Pixar
In this musical presentation, award-winning composer Michael Giacchino explores his early influences through the creation of modern-day classic scores from Ratatouille, Up and Cars 2.

•The Art of Brave
Production designer Steve Pilcher and shading art director Tia Kratter show how they and their team put paint to canvas and fingers to computer keys to create the stunning visuals of Scotland for Disney•Pixar’s upcoming film Brave.

•Pixar Shorts
This retrospective screening of the animation studio’s legendary short films will be followed by a panel discussion with several of the filmmakers, including Ralph Eggleston (director, For the Birds), Andy Jimenez (director, One Man Band), Angus MacLane (director, BURN-E), Pete Sohn (director, Partly Cloudy), Teddy Newton (director, Day & Night), and Enrico Casarosa (director, La Luna).

Expo attendees will also have access to advance screenings of an all-new 3D version of The Lion King, presented by RealD 3D, coming to theaters and homes this fall, and the upcoming ABC holiday special Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice from Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Who's gonna be attending the expo?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Frankly, I would love to. But I dont really know many people into Disney...and this isnt the kind of thing I would want to go to alone...

Anyone here going??
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Marce82 wrote:Frankly, I would love to. But I dont really know many people into Disney...and this isnt the kind of thing I would want to go to alone...

Anyone here going??
If I still lived in LA, or had the money to travel down there, I'd so be going. In fact, I'm kind of sad that I can't go especially being that I run Open Vault Disney. Plus, I'd love to see the Pixar and Marvel panels and it just sounds like fun. It would be a great place to meet and greet other Disney fans. Sadly, I just don't have the money. Just a reminder that I can't go beyond my means.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

Yep, I'll be going all 3 days!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Poody wrote:Yep, I'll be going all 3 days!
I expect you to give us a detailed report soon after then. :wink:
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Disney has written a lot about the D23 Expo on their official Facebook-pages, and launched several new pages for their upcoming movies. Here are the pages for some the films that will be featured on the Expo...

Disney: www.Facebook.com/Disney
D23 – The Official Disney Fan Club: www.Facebook.com/DisneyD23
D23 Expo: www.Facebook.com/DisneyD23Expo

WALT DISNEY ANIMATION STUDIOS: www.Facebook.com/DisneyAnimation
Wreck-It Ralph: www.Facebook.com/WreckItRalph

DISNEY-PIXAR: www.Facebook.com/DisneyPixar
Brave: www.Facebook.com/PixarBrave
Monsters University: www.Facebook.com/PixarMonstersUniversity

MARVEL: www.Facebook.com/Marvel
The Avengers: www.Facebook.com/TheAvengersMovie
Iron Man: www.Facebook.com/IronManMovie
Thor: www.Facebook.com/ThorMovie
Captain America: www.Facebook.com/CaptainAmericaMovie

WALT DISNEY PICTURES: www.Facebook.com/DisneyMovies
The Muppets: www.Facebook.com/Muppets
John Carter: www.Facebook.com/JohnCarterMovie
The Odd Life of Timothy Green: www.Facebook.com/OddLifeMovie
Tim Burton’s Frankenweenie: www.Facebook.com/FrankenweenieMovie
Oz: The Great and Powerful: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oz-The-Gr ... 18?sk=info
Pirates of the Caribbean: www.Facebook.com/PiratesOfTheCaribbean
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

XXX!

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

XXX!
Last edited by Jackoleen on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

Sotiris wrote: I expect you to give us a detailed report soon after then. :wink:
I'll try! LOL I'll be cosplaying the whole time so it may be hard to make it to some events. But there's some I plan to go to for sure! I'll try take lots of pics of the festiveness when I can :D
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

WDAS' booth on Friday, August 19 looks promising. Will anyone be attending?
Last edited by Sotiris on Sat May 26, 2012 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

It's tormenting me I wasn't able to go!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Ugh! I wanna go so badly!! And I can't!!!! AGAIN!!!!!! :(
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iuhbBjGVkGs" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I hope some new information about upcoming projects gets released at the Expo.
Last edited by Sotiris on Sat May 26, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mmmadelon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mmmadelon »

It sounds sooo good! Oh man I wish I could be there :(
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Disney Princesses and Muppets sing at 2011 Disney D23 Expo Legends ceremony

Info taken from: www.insidethemagic.net

The 2011 Disney Legends ceremony took place as the first major Arena presentation of the 2011 D23 Expo. Honorees included Regis Philbin, Guy Williams, Jack and Bonita Wrather, Ray Watson, and Bo Boyd. But it was the line-up of voices of Disney Princesses and a tribute to Jim Henson that stole the show, entertaining an audience of fans with familiar songs.

To start the show, after all of the honored Disney Princess voices, Linda Larkin, speaking voice of Jasmine from “Aladdin,” introduced four singing Princess voices to each perform songs from their films. Paige O’Hara sang as Belle, Lea Salonga sang as Mulan, Anika Noni Rose sang as Tiana, and Jodi Benson sang as Ariel. The four sounded just as they did when recording their classic songs for classic animated Disney films. And after they each sang, they joined together on stage for one final performance together.

Video: Disney Princess voices sing together at the 2011 D23 Expo

Here the voices of Ariel (Jodi Benson), Tiana (Anika Noni Rose), Belle (Paige O'Hara) and Jasmine/Mulan (Lea Salonga) singing together!!!

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Biy-eJ2uwwE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

More videos and photos:

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2011/08/d ... -ceremony/
Brer Brandon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Brer Brandon »

The video of Kermit and Rowlf singing Rainbow Connection brings a tear to my eye.
blessedarethegeek.tumblr.com
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, that's cool. :)

But why couldn't they get Mandy Moore to perform with the other princess voice actresses? I mean, Rapunzel- whom Mandy voiced- was a princess. :(
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Because Mandy Moore wasn't inducted as a Disney Legend this year like those women were.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Disney Legends ceremony in it entirety:

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fwm5rBi-Wjg" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DOZUoG-GbpI" frameborder="0"></iframe>