Wreck-It Ralph (formerly Reboot Ralph)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Neal wrote:We love Disney as adults because we're a different breed of person. Same as with this music. That goes hand-in-hand Today's generation of Twilight/Transformers/Alvin & the Chipmunks loving tweens/teens would not 'get' or like this music.
Agreed. Maybe part of what people like depends on what is presented to them at a certain age? I'd hate to think that if I was 10 or 12 right now, I'd love "Twilight" or "Adventure Time," but it is a theory.

Disney's Divinity wrote:I think Disney'll need to have 3 to 4 hits in a row for the audience to trust them like they do Pixar.

I think, for the most part, audiences today don't think of brand names--they just like a commercial they see on TV. If the commercial doesn't entertain them, they don't see the movie. Pixar is the only name in animation that people take real notice of. I think that's part of the reason studios have been making so many sequels/re-makes. They can't guarantee their next film will be a hit, but they can bet on a previous success' sequel/re-make to attract audiences.
Agree again. I think Hollywood is in a time period where they are in a bit of a tight spot that in many ways they created. For all the "super creative people" in the industry today, we get more sequels then ever in history each year, tons of re-makes, or excuse me, "re-imaginings," and just plain mediocre stuff coming from story professionals.

As much as many here, including myself, have been down on "Cars 2," I enjoy that way more then most other films I've seen this Summer, save for the Marvel Studios films. Pixar so far even at their worse is still better then like everyone else. But it's not like it's rocket science, with enough work and creativity, good stories are out there still to be told in fun, creative ways.

Disney does have to win people's trust back and I worry this film may not do that. But I want to be wrong about that feeling.

nomad2010 wrote:
I agree. I think what made the 90's films SO incredibly popular though, was the fact that they were during that rare point in history where media found the right balance in catering to ALL age demographics. Look at 90's television. Full House. Family Matters. Etc. They were popular and appealed to all ages. Disney movies were the same. They were also taken seriously (in production) and not lightly. Now it seems that Disney is afraid to try appealing to all ages. Tangled was a step in the right direction, but it was a rather light-hearted, comical affair. Disney movies were taken seriously because they were serious. They didn't aim towards kids specifically or adults. They were genuinely good movies that anyone could enjoy whether it be a child, an oscar-loving movie critic, or an old man. I think that's what the Disney magic truly is. It's a rare balance of appeal, story, and heart. It's something hard to find these days. In fact, it's all but disappeared. Phineas and Ferb is the closest thing on television to it. And Tangled got close but took itself too lightly. I think Disney works best in fairy tales, fantasy, and escapism. Modern day things just don't suit them. Just my opinion.
Agree again. Man, I must be really agreeable today. :P

Anyway, Disney anything at its best will appeal to a wide ranger of people. That is how Walt did it with films, shows and a theme park. Disney seems to have lost that ability these days. I agree by the way that "Phineas and Ferb" is about the closest thing to the old ways. That show is just so good!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

nomad2010 wrote:[...] Look at 90's television. Full House. Family Matters. Etc. They were popular and appealed to all ages. Disney movies were the same.
Ouch. I don't think you want to compare to those tv shows. They have a very large and vocal group of critics who love to bash them every chance they get --and rightfully so, I might add. Disney luckily stayed far, far away from the contrived, shallow, saccharine-sweet, fake sentimentality of aforementioned tv shows. I realize I may just have completely trashed your favorite shows, but you shouldn't let your enjoyment of something depend on what some jerk on the internet (that's me) is saying about it. And trust me: I have my own 'guilty pleasures' as well. ;)

I was just trying to make the point that the comparison doesn't seem to be all that valid, to me.
nomad2010 wrote:[...] I think that's what the Disney magic truly is. It's a rare balance of appeal, story, and heart. It's something hard to find these days. In fact, it's all but disappeared. Phineas and Ferb is the closest thing on television to it.
I have watched some of it, but it seemed very much aimed at children to me. But I did watch a lot of Recess lately, and I couldn't believe how many storylines, jokes and references would fly right over childrens' heads and could only be truly appreciated by adults. The shows uses a lot of political and societal satire.
nomad2010 wrote:And Tangled got close but took itself too lightly.
I didn't see it that way. Princess and the Frog did, I think, but not Rapunzel, though the introduction with Flynn's voice-over adds to that feeling.
nomad2010 wrote:I think Disney works best in fairy tales, fantasy, and escapism. Modern day things just don't suit them. Just my opinion.
I was going to agree, until I remembered The Rescuers, Oliver & Company and Lilo & Stitch.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The logo has been revealed at the D23 Expo.
Last edited by Sotiris on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mmmadelon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mmmadelon »

Hmm.. It looks interesting.. :roll:
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

just not feeling it, has this been officially confirmed as a DAC or will it be like Gnomeo and Juliet and Mars Needs Moms?
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Wow! Epic! hehe I wish ralph was cuter, but then he looks like the classic baddie.

I love how disney went all retro all the sudden, with WTP and now this :D
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mmmadelon wrote:Hmm.. It looks interesting.. :roll:
Fix-It Felix looks like he came out of a low-budget Saturday morning cartoon. :roll: I really wish these designs are only for promotional use and not end up in the final film.
WonderlandFever wrote:just not feeling it, has this been officially confirmed as a DAC or will it be like Gnomeo and Juliet and Mars Needs Moms?
Yes, it has. It will be the 52nd 'classic' in the Disney canon. It is produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Last edited by Sotiris on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

The design of the characters apparently changes according to the game that they're in so I'm not going to base anything based only on these pictures. Hopefully they'll exhibit some more concept work and designs over the rest of the weekend but I like what I've seen so far, it's good to see Disney branching out and doing something they haven't done before.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:The design of the characters apparently changes according to the game that they're in so I'm not going to base anything based only on these pictures. Hopefully they'll exhibit some more concept work and designs over the rest of the weekend but I like what I've seen so far, it's good to see Disney branching out and doing something they haven't done before.
This 100%!
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Not to mention, as a fan of old-school 8-bit video games, they got the look of things like Donkey Kong or the very first Super Mario Bros arcade game spot-on. I love the name of the video game company, too.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Mmmadelon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mmmadelon »

From their facebook:
Sarah Silverman, Jack McBrayer and 4 minutes of our new film, Wreck-It Ralph? Talk about an introduction. Get ready to root for the bad guy next year!
Do you think they're going to post that on youtube?
Dream Huntress
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dream Huntress »

Sarah Silverman quote from the D23 twitter account:
"I've always had a love/hate relationship with Disney because they make me feel."
Link here:
http://twitter.com/#!/DisneyD23/status/ ... 0767101952
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

i spy pascal
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The official logo has been revealed.

Last edited by Sotiris on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dream Huntress
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dream Huntress »

He does look like a pixelated John C. Reilly.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

So we're supposed to root for the bad guy? The more and more I'm learning about this film the more interested I'm getting. As far as the character designs we're seeing, they look spot on to what they're supposed to be. They're supposed to be old video game characters, back in the day that's how things looked... What were you guys expecting :roll:

As DisneyAnimation88 said, they're appearance is supposed to reflect whatever game they are in so they'll look more up to date and modern CGI as the story progresses. To me, that is a really neat idea that I'm super excited to see more of! Imagine how mario has changed through the years and apply that to these characters, doesn't that interest you a little bit?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New image from the D23 Expo.

The guy looks like an extra from Prep & Landing and the girl like a Chipette. :roll: I do not approve. :headshake:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Haha, love his walk. So hilariously spot-on. Can't wait to hear the sound effects he makes, when he moves.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote::roll: I do not approve. :headshake:
I don't either. :o I'm not really crazy about these designs, so I hope some better images come out soon or this might quickly turn from something I was really excited about into something I'll most likely hate. :(
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The footage shown at the D23 Expo was very crude animation cut with storyboards. Even in that rough state, it looked and sounded like something special.

The film begins inside the 8-bit game called Fix It Felix, Jr. (think Donkey Kong Jr.) where a 9-foot tall beast named Wreck It Ralph comes in, destroys a building, and the player – Felix – has to fix it. During this, we hear a voiceover of Ralph talking about how he’s jealous of all the accolades Felix gets while he’s constantly shunned. He’s just doing his job as the bad guy. The movie pulls out from the game to show the height of the arcade culture in 1983 and as it slowly pulls back through the space, we see the evolution of the arcade over the next three decades. Meanwhile, inside the machine, Ralph goes about his daily life. There’s a shot were the camera is inside the game and you can look out on “real life” in the arcade. It’s sort of Toy Story in an arcade game. These characters live inside when the arcade shuts down. Felix is beloved and Ralph lives at the dump, sleeping under bricks.

We then see Ralph going to a support group called Bad-Anon. Sitting around the circle, in storyboard form at least, is a Ghost from Pac Mac, Bowser from Super Mario, a Big Daddy from Bioshock and even Kano from Mortal Kombat ripping out someone’s heart. They’re all talking about how just because you are a bad guy, doesn’t mean you are a “bad” “guy.”

After the footage ended, the director, Rich Moore, came out and showed some stills of the games that Ralph jumps into, such as a blatant Halo ripoff called Space Bug and a racing game called Sugar Rush, which is where one of the other main characters comes from.
Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/scene-video-ga ... -d23-expo/
John C. Reilly voices the title character, who is a kind of human version of Donkey Kong — a burly, flame-haired villain of a game called Fix-It Felix Jr. Remember the old Rampage arcade game, where big monsters climbed up and down buildings, picking and punching off chunks to make them crumble? That’s what Wreck-It Ralph does, while the cheerful Mario-esque Felix (voiced by 30 Rock’s Jack McBrayer) is the character the players use to repair all the damage.

This lonely villain is having an identity crisis: “This is the story of an 8-bit video game bad guy who travels the length of the arcade to prove that he’s a good guy,” says Disney animation boss John Lasseter.

Lasseter says this movie will bring in “many videogame characters you know and love, from past to present.”

Lasseter introduced the roughly animated first five minutes of the movie, which showed the crowd some of those real-life digital characters who turn up in the story. For instance, Wreck-It Ralph is in a support group for video game villains that includes one of the ghosts from Pac-Man and what looked like the coiled, hopping snake from Q*bert, as well as an ax-wielding zombie from countless first-person shooting games.

The film begins with an almost noir-ish, tough-guy narration by Reilly as we see how his game is played: “Basically, where I come from, there are only two types of guys – good guys and bad guys,” Wreck-It Ralph laments. “I’m 9 feet tall. I weigh 643 pounds. I can’t walk down the street without causing major structural damage.

“Fix-It Felix, he’s the good guy. He’s nice enough, as good guys go,” Ralph says as we see McBrayer’s pixelated character hopping around, repairing the damage. “He definitely fixes stuff well … But if you’ve got a magic hammer from your father, how hard could it be?” he grumbles.

Felix fixes the smashed building and collects a prize at the end of the level. “Can’t there be medals for the sweet science of wrecking?” Ralph asks, before wandering off at the end of the workday to his garbage pit home.

The movie co-stars Glee’s Jane Lynch as Sgt. Calhoun, the heavily armored sci-fi hero of a Halo-type shooting game called Hero’s Bounty, in which Ralph enlists to fight invading bugs in the hope of earning his good-guy bona fides. Director Rich Moore (The Simpsons, Futurama) played a clip of the actress performing her voice work as she punched the air and threw around her shoulders: “Listen Jethro, we are on duty 24/7, defending ourselves against an enemy that never sleeps, even when the arcade is closed. Do I make myself clear!?”

Video game characters in the arcade can jump into each other’s machines via the electrical plugs, which eventually leads Wreck-It Ralph to Sugar Rush, a kind of Mario Kart racing game set in a dessert and candy world. Sarah Silverman voices a character from that game: Vanellope (rhymes with Penelope) von Schweetz.

While Reilly was MIA, Silverman attended the presentation and said she had “a real love-hate” relationship with Disney movies. “I hate that they make me feel. It’s hard. I have a very tiny heart.”

McBrayer expressed amazement that he was chosen to for a character, given his chipper twang: “My own voice irritates myself,” he said, grinning like Kenneth the Page. “So doing it for others is awesome.”
Source: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/20/d ... -it-ralph/
Last edited by Sotiris on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.