bbCode tag issues are driving me insane

Feedback for the site and forum: comments, questions, suggestions welcome.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

bbCode tag issues are driving me insane

Post by toonaspie »

For some reason this is the only forum I know of where I can't easily highlight something then click one of the bbCode tag buttons above to insure that the highlighted words are either bold, quoted, linked, or have the right color or whatever. Instead everytime I click on any of the tag buttons, the starter and ender bbCode tags appear at the very end of ALL the text in my post. Even if I place my cursor in the place I want the bbCode tag to appear, it will ONLY appear at the very end of ALL of my written text.

You have no idea how annoying this gets because the only way for me to get the tags I want is to erase all the writing prior to the word I want to tag and start over or to type in each bbCode tag in its proper position manually. The latter is much more tricker to do if I can't remember the bbCode tags by heart. This basically means that in order to use any of the bbCode tags above I have to be cautious with every single word I write if I'm adding special stuff to a sentence or a paragraph.

What is up with that?! Is there a way to fix this, cuz it's one of the reasons why I'm having a hard time contributing anything to this forum. Wouldn't it be easier to be able to highlight something in the middle of a written paragraph, then click on a bbCode tag, and have it magically done without having to rewrite anything? This is stuff we could easily do on programs like Microsoft Word...but on here I just have no idea what the heck is going on!
David S.
Special Edition

Re: bbCode tag issues are driving me insane

Post by David S. »

toonaspie wrote:You have no idea how annoying this gets because the only way for me to get the tags I want is to erase all the writing prior to the word I want to tag and start over or to type in each bbCode tag in its proper position manually. The latter is much more tricker to do if I can't remember the bbCode tags by heart. This basically means that in order to use any of the bbCode tags above I have to be cautious with every single word I write if I'm adding special stuff to a sentence or a paragraph.
The way I do it without having to erase anything if I can't remember the codes is to "copy and paste" them from the bottom of the message into the location that they need to be in my post.
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

If I understand you correctly, that may happen to everyone, it happens to me, and it certainly is annoying. But you do not have to erase anything!

When you use the tags, I think they usually appear right after the very last thing you wrote? It is annoying, byt all you have to do is copy that whole tag, and then paste it right at the word you want to type. In fact, you don't have to do that, you can just look at the tag and type it manually but you don't have to worry about remembering it cause it's right there at the bottom of the last thing you wrote, just look!

David S. may have covered some of this but just in case you needed another person's words to help!
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

I still have problems with copying and pasting the tags though.

I mean seriously moderators, what is the point of having those tag buttons above if I can't even use them normally like in other forums???
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

If it was a simple fix, I'd be happy to do it ASAP. But right now, before we can really patch any of these types of nuisances, we have to upgrade the entire forum first several times, which is no small, easy task. Hopefully, the upgrades will wipe out all the minor annoyances we're currently experiencing, although if it's like the last upgrade, it will create whole new annoyances, while requiring us to go back and add all the modifications we've implemented over the years for a smoother experience. Might I recommend trying to add the tags manually? Maybe it's because I type a mile a minute and have gotten so used to basic code, but I always find pressing the buttons is more of a pain than simply writing a [b] [/b], [i] [/i], or the HTML equivalents around the text you want bolded, italicized, etc. Add copying and pasting to the procedure, and I can't imagine adding codes manually to be a bigger challenge.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I always type the codes manually, so I didn't really get the 'problem' in the first place...