Fantasia/F2K: 2-Movie Collection Discussion: Nov. 30, 2010

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Timon/Pumbaa fan wrote: Still, I'm not sure how much Roy would've done considering it wasn't his position, but your right this isn't a good service to his or Walt's memory.
What I'm confused about is the tribute to Roy that people keep mentioning. It's not in the press release. Was it ever officially announced? I know that there will be some kind of tribute featurette on Waking Sleeping Beauty, but that covers Roy E. Disney, Frank Wells, Joe Ranft, and Howard Ashman.

:?

BTW, glad to see you posting now and again, Justin.

(And since this is near the top of the new page, I'm moving my older post here. This used to be the third-to-last post on the last page, but it likely got overlooked due to the other conversation going on about Blu-Ray prices. So I'm moving it here)

I also hate to add to the bad news, but for anyone who's kept close watch on the Destino home video release announcements/speculation/etc. since 2006, there was the feature-length documentary (Dali & Disney: A Date with Destino) and two featurettes originally created for its cancelled "Walt Disney's Legacy Collection" release that were also listed as being included in its "Walt Disney Treasures" release (before it was replaced with "Annette"). In all the announcements regarding Fantasia on Blu, DVD, whatnot, while they still mention Destino and the documentary "Dali & Disney: A Date with Destino", the two featurettes (which are already finished, in the can, waiting for release) are not mentioned...and likely not included.

From press releases of long long ago...
  • -“The Disney That Almost Was” - an examination of the studio’s unfinished projects.

-“Encounters with Walt” - addresses the surprisingly diverse group of celebrities and artists who were attracted to Walt Disney’s early work.
:(

Anyway, come November, I'm gonna do what Disneykid is doing and just combine the best of both releases:

Disc One: Fantasia on Blu-Ray (2010)
Disc Two: Fantasia on DVD (2000)
Disc Three: Fantasia 2000 on Blu-Ray (2010)
Disc Four: Fantasia 2000 on DVD (2000)
Disc Five: The Fantasia Legacy (2000)

The loss of Fantasia World is terrible, especially as I think that's likely where the two other Destino featurettes were supposed to be. But it looks like Disney wanted to cut corners and have as few releases as possible (in North America at least).

Personally, I'd have handled the Fantasia release like this: (on both Blu & DVD)

Fantasia (1940): 70th Anniversary Edition
Disc One: Fantasia
-Fantasia (won't comment on which version, either one is fine with me at this point)

-Commentaries
--Classic Commentaries (from 2000)
--New Commentaries (newly-recorded)

-The Schultheis Notebook
--Interactive Schultheis Notebook (I'm assuming it's like Cine-Explore) - Blu-Ray only
--"The Schultheis Notebook" Featurette (13:15)

-1982 Irwin Kostal Score

-Alternate Corey Burton Narration (the film would have Deems Taylor for all the surviving parts, with Corey Burton only filling in when necessary)

-Adventures in Music: "Melody" (10:06, 1953)

Disc Two: Fantasia Supplements
-New Documentary (90 minutes - replaces/re-edits "The Concert Feature" documentary with additional material, but also uses relevant interview footage with Frank Thomas, John Canemaker, John Culhane, Leonard Maltin, Roy E. Disney, etc.)

-"Evolution of the Process Lab" featurette (replaces "The Special Effects of Fantasia" from the Anthology set, a look at Disney's special effects department, though the material likely would be covered in the Schultheis Notebook anyway)

-"Fantasound" featurette (the development and history of surround sound)

-"Roadshow" featurette (history of the Roadshow, Disney's few-and-far-between Roadshow movies, etc.)

-"Disney Time Capsule: 1940" (similar to the one on Bambi and the "Disney Studio Album" montages from the Vault Disney Collection DVDs)

-"The Fantasia Legacy" Supplements
--Segment Galleries (Introductions, "Disneyland" excerpts, still galleries, story reels, deleted animation)
--Marketing Archive (Trailers, TV Spots, Radio Spots, poster galleries)

Fantasia 2000 (1999): 10th Anniversary Edition - inaccurate, but it's a marketing label anyway
Disc One: Fantasia 2000
-Fantasia 2000

-Cine-Explore Viewing Option - Blu-Ray only

-Commentaries
--Classic Commentaries (from 2000)
--New Commentaries (Cine-Explore audio, sans video stream)

-Adventures in Music: "Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom" (10:18, 1953)

Disc Two: Fantasia 2000 Supplements
-New Documentary (90 minutes - replaces/re-edits "Fantasia Continued" documentary with additional material, but also uses relevant interview footage with the filmmakers.)

-Tribute to Roy E. Disney (at least 45 minutes)

-"Disney Family Museum" featurette (3:53)

-"Musicana" featurette (8:56)

-"Disney Time Capsule: 1999" (similar to the one on Bambi and the "Disney Studio Album" montages from the Vault Disney Collection DVDs)

--Segment Galleries (Introductions, "Creating..." featurettes, misc. featurettes, still galleries, story reels, deleted animation)
--Marketing Archive (Trailers, TV Spots, Radio Spots, poster galleries

The Worlds of Fantasia (1940, 1999, 2010): Ultimate Collector's Edition
Disc One: Fantasia
Disc Two: Fantasia Supplements
Disc Three: Fantasia 2000
Disc Four: Fantasia 2000 Supplements
-Same on all four discs

Disc Five: Fantasia World
-Clair de Lune

-Destino

-The Little Match Girl

-One By One

-Lorenzo

-Dali & Disney: A Date with Destino (1:10:00)

-"The Disney That Almost Was" featurette

-"Encounters with Walt" featurette

-Fantasia Lost: Additional Abandoned Segments
--"The Magic Flute"
--"La Mer"
--"The Planets"
--"Danse Macabre"
--"Schwanda the Bagpiper"
--""Don Quixote"
--"Till Eulenspiegel"
--"Hary Janos"
--"The Love for Three Oranges"
--"Roman Carnival Overture"
--"Pop Goes the Weasel"

--"Ride of the Valkyries"
--"Swan of Tuonela"
--"Invitation to the Dance"
--"Adventures in Perambulator"
--"Flight of the Bumblebee"
--"Mosquito"
--"Baby Ballet"

Hopefully Disney will get the release right in 2020...

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

I had a feeling Disney was gonna go the cheap way out with this release!

Even though I am not a huge fan of Fantasia I would have like to see a better release then this! :roll:
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I just, I don't even know. This makes me want to buy this even less. We all know that Disney has been consistently producing rather terrible releases. This is about the lowest it can get right now. The Anthology was about (on a scale from one to 10) a 10. This release is looking to be about a 2. The video and audio may not be great, but they could have at least ported over the documentaries from the previous set. Geez. Lazy, lazy, lazy...
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

T-SoD wrote:I just, I don't even know. This makes me want to buy this even less.
But...you're UD's biggest Fantasia fan! (at least in my experience chatting with you on the forum. Remember those multi-disc Disney DVDs we'd write about once upon a time? ;) )

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Escapay wrote:
Timon/Pumbaa fan wrote: Still, I'm not sure how much Roy would've done considering it wasn't his position, but your right this isn't a good service to his or Walt's memory.
What I'm confused about is the tribute to Roy that people keep mentioning. It's not in the press release. Was it ever officially announced? I know that there will be some kind of tribute featurette on Waking Sleeping Beauty, but that covers Roy E. Disney, Frank Wells, Joe Ranft, and Howard Ashman.

I recall Roy introducing Fantasia 2000 on the DVD so that's probably where he said it was his favorite Disney film or something and Rudy is simply saying that because the lackluster bonus material revealed, that this film is "a disgrace to his memory", of course home video releases were getting worse when he was alive so I'm not sure he would've been THAT upset or demanding it having a better release. Of course, none of us know father time or can change the space-time continuum to truly have a definite answer.

I'll still probably buy this set as the movies are the real highlight, but I won't be in rush to get it like I could've been.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

I want to find whoever is running Walt Disney Home Entertainment and..to quote the gym teacher in Carrie, "I want to just shake em"

The "Dumbo" fiasco, the teaser for "Tangled" that didn't have a title attached to it, just that the "secret will be revealed" :roll: , and now this crap with "Fantasia."

I don't remember them ever being this disorganized with their releases and spouting off all this false advertising before.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Timon/Pumbaa fan wrote:
Escapay wrote: What I'm confused about is the tribute to Roy that people keep mentioning. It's not in the press release. Was it ever officially announced? I know that there will be some kind of tribute featurette on Waking Sleeping Beauty, but that covers Roy E. Disney, Frank Wells, Joe Ranft, and Howard Ashman.

I recall Roy introducing Fantasia 2000 on the DVD so that's probably where he said it was his favorite Disney film or something and Rudy is simply saying that because the lackluster bonus material revealed, that this film is "a disgrace to his memory", of course home video releases were getting worse when he was alive so I'm not sure he would've been THAT upset or demanding it having a better release. Of course, none of us know father time or can change the space-time continuum to truly have a definite answer.
Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I'd have to side with both. The rather lackluster supplements don't do the films (or Roy E.'s involvement in F2K) justice. But at the same time, it's the films that are important, not the supplements.

Anyway, I backtracked a few pages and finally found the mention of it (someone said it's listed among the features on play.com). I'll wait until November comes along (or a more in-depth press release or online review) before I believe it, though. I hope it's an actual tribute about his life and work, and not some 10-minute collection of Disney filmmakers just saying EPK-ish soundbytes of "Roy was great!" and "I loved working with him!"
Justin wrote:I'll still probably buy this set as the movies are the real highlight
Ditto for me too.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Very annoyed with this set.

It's bad enough that they are releasing them together in one package, but does it have to be an effin combo pack too? Fantasia is not a kids movie, and let's face it, these combo packs appeal to families more than anything, these two extra discs that are useless to me and inflate the price piss me off worse than anything. There is more than enough content available and content they can create to justify a 4 Disc Set that doesn't include useless DVDs.

I upgraded to Blu Ray (admittedly a little grudgingly) so I could stay current and not have to buy DVDs and Blu Ray of movies both and now they make me buy them in the same package...

I'll buy it anyways because I think it will be amazing in HD, but I won't be happy about it damn it!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Are we still getting Blu-ray/DVD combo packs of both movies (two Blu discs, one DVD disc), or do we have to search high and low to find DVD copies of the movies? If it's the latter, I'm going to be SO pissed! I'm already mad enough we're not getting Fantasia World or whatever it's called. :x
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

International releases are separate. US release is the package.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

I will never get to see Lorenzo, will I?

:cry:

Seriously, what the heck - why would they drop Fantasia World? I just don't get it.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

DisneyJedi wrote:Are we still getting Blu-ray/DVD combo packs of both movies (two Blu discs, one DVD disc), or do we have to search high and low to find DVD copies of the movies? If it's the latter, I'm going to be SO pissed! I'm already mad enough we're not getting Fantasia World or whatever it's called. :x
It's been mentioned on The UD Front Page and Page 48 of this thread. The subsequent four pages were bitchings and moanings about how crappy Disney is treating the films, so it's understandable that you may have missed the post.

Anyways, there are only two releases (in North America), both to be released on November 30, 2010:

4-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray + DVD Combo ($45.99 SRP)
Disc One: Fantasia on Blu-Ray
-Fantasia
-Fantasia with DisneyView
-Disney Family Museum (3:53)
-The Schultheis Notebook (13:15 & Interactive Version)
-Interactive Art Gallery
-Commentary with Brian Sibley (according to Play.com)

Disc Two: Fantasia 2000 on Blu-Ray
-Fantasia 2000
-Destino
-Dali & Disney: A Date with Destino (1:10:00)
-Musicana: Walt's Inpiration for a Sequel (8:56)
-BD-Live: Disney's Virtual Vault
-Tribute to Roy E. Disney (according to Play.com)

Disc Three: Fantasia on DVD
-Fantasia

Disc Four: Fantasia 2000 on DVD
-Fantasia 2000

2-Disc Special Edition DVD ($39.99 SRP)
Disc One: Fantasia on DVD
-Fantasia

Disc Two: Fantasia 2000 on DVD
-Fantasia 2000

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

I find it laughable that they treat the god damn menu system ad a bonus feature!

On another note, I got in contact with Amazon UK to check whether our release really was a Diamond, and they confirmed it was. With such lacklustre content though, this is about on par with March's Dumbo, if anything, worse.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Oh Blu-ray, you burn me again!!! Destino...be mineeeeee. :( :cry: :(

Why does Disney even bother announcing amazing bonus features like Fantasia World? I mean, and I don't remember for which movie I thought of this as an excuse in the past for but, maybe they'll announce the shorts still and then we'll all rejoyce at how great Disney is to include the shorts...
milojthatch wrote:Dropping "Fantasia World" is a mistake. An even bigger mistake is finally releasing "Destino," but making it a Blu Ray only feature. I've been mad at how Disney has done crap like this with their DVD's for a while, but this one may be the worse one yet.
I completely completely completely agree.

Maybe Disney wants the Fantasia movies to fail. Maybe with Roy gone, the suits don't want to have to deal with it anymore in the future...? And where the hell is John Lasseter in all of this? Maybe he doesn't have much say when it comes to home video releases (?), but I mean, if he loves animation like we think he does, why would he sell his soul for this release?
Escapay wrote: the two featurettes (which are already finished, in the can, waiting for release) are not mentioned...and likely not included.

From press releases of long long ago...

-“The Disney That Almost Was” - an examination of the studio’s unfinished projects.

-“Encounters with Walt” - addresses the surprisingly diverse group of celebrities and artists who were attracted to Walt Disney’s early work.
You're just breaking our hearts now... :( If they already made these features, why not RELEASE THEM!?!?!?!?!? Disney, come on now!
Escapay, in his list of what he'd include wrote:-1982 Irwin Kostal Score
Why just this one??

At this point, I probably won't double-dip, but I should rent it for the Musicana feature, unless it goes up on YouTube...
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

miniroll32 wrote:And guess what? Its only a 2-Disc Blu-Ray pack! So we don't even get the damn DVD's... Thanks Disney. No really, way to treat loyal customers.
Well, that's what BVHE UK did with the Toy Story 2-pack, and I wasn't expecting anything different. I don't really see it as being a problem?

The Bigger problem is Disney still haven't turned on BD-Live outside the US - absolutely pathetic when every single other major studio has (as well as a small number of UK only independent distributors). Really Disney, what's the problem?
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

All in favor of a petition?
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

miniroll32 wrote:All in favor of a petition?
Nay. I don't want a DVD thanks very much. I'm actually happy with this release now.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

miniroll32 wrote:I find it laughable that they treat the god damn menu system ad a bonus feature!

On another note, I got in contact with Amazon UK to check whether our release really was a Diamond, and they confirmed it was. With such lacklustre content though, this is about on par with March's Dumbo, if anything, worse.
Kinda reminds me of "Full-Color Character Artwork On Disc". You know, since Disney discs are gray now, this WOULD be a special feature. lol
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Coolmanio »

miniroll32 wrote:All in favor of a petition?
Pft. Like Disney would give a flying crap.

Very disappointed by this. And it looked so promising.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

Maybe we should just focus on the good here instead of the bad:

We are getting Fantasia & Fantasia 2000 on Blu-ray with excellent picture and sound!

Remember the days of disney VHS when we didn't get ANY bonus features and people didn't complain then because we didn't know what bonus features were. You're not really buying the film for the features, you're buying the film for the film. Get over it. Sorry to sound so harsh, but it's the truth.
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.