Would you like to se an gay/lesbian couple in a Disney film?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I understand if this question may seem weird, but I'm actually serious; Would you like to see a homosexual/lesbian couple in a Disney film? I highly doubt that Disney would ever do that, but I think it would be rational if they did, since love can also be between two men or two women and not only because of the opposite sex.

And please, my topic is intended to be serious and constructive, so I don't want any trolls answering.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

first!

and in before the lock :)

also no, I do not wish to see this.
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Coolmanio »

PatrickvD wrote:first!

and in before the lock :)

also no, I do not wish to see this.
lol, I was thinking the same thing.

And no, I would not like to see this. Nor would Disney ever do this.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Please, answer my questions in a constructive manner!! This is intented to be a serious and constructive thread, so if you don't have anything positive to say, so back off.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Well, it almost happened. Walt Disney Animation Studios once had an adult animated feature in development called Wild Life. I'm pretty sure it featured a gay man. In fact, it also had a gay joke ... which disgusted Roy Disney and prompted him to immediately shut down production.

Sigh.
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Coolmanio »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Please, answer my questions in a constructive manner!! This is intented to be a serious and constructive thread, so if you don't have anything positive to say, so back off.
Your question is a "yes or no" question. I said no. Can't be more constructive than that.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Coolmanio wrote:
DisneyFan09 wrote:Please, answer my questions in a constructive manner!! This is intented to be a serious and constructive thread, so if you don't have anything positive to say, so back off.
Your question is a "yes or no" question. I said no. Can't be more constructive than that.
You could at least give an explanation... Are you homophobe?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Julian Carter wrote:Well, it almost happened. Walt Disney Animation Studios once had an adult animated feature in development called Wild Life. I'm pretty sure it featured a gay man. In fact, it also had a gay joke ... which disgusted Roy Disney and prompted him to immediately shut down production.

Sigh.
In b4 claims of "Roy Disney is an evil homophobic".
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Lorddh
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Lorddh »

I've actually been thinking about this, I would love for Disney to make a gay love fairytale. We're a diverse world and if you want to promote diversity and world peace then there shouldn't be a problem with this movie. It would be a lovely idea and movie :) and this board will bring a lot of homophobes, so jjust ignore them and laugh at their ignorance.
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Coolmanio »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Coolmanio wrote: Your question is a "yes or no" question. I said no. Can't be more constructive than that.
You could at least give an explanation... Are you homophobe?
Because I would rather not see a gay relationship in a Disney movie I am a homophobe? No. I am not.

You want an explanation? Fine. I think about the implications that Disney would face if they did this would be huge. Disney boycotts would definitely go on, especially from parents and from different churches across the continent.

I just feel that, If i was a kid, and I saw a gay relationship from a movie company that I adored, I would be very confused. Many questions would arise and a lot of parents would be enraged. I am thinking about the company, whose reputation is already a little shaky.

But that is all I will post. These "Disney-gay" topics can get quite touchy, and quite frankly, I would rather talk about DVDs. :/
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

No.
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

My first post here...

I certainly understand Coolmanio's concern, and agree that this is something Disney will most likely not even consider for another few decades due to the current political situations regarding Gay Rights in the United States.

BUT..to answer the question, Yes, I would LIKE to see a positive gay relationship on display in an animated Disney musical.

The problem with getting people to open up to the idea is that the majority of people think the subject can't be brought up in storytelling without an emphasis on the "sexual" part of homosexual. Homosexual and Heterosexual may differ in their orientation, but that is ONE difference out of all the things that factor into the human experience. Think about all the things we all universally DO have in common: The need for love, acceptance and happiness. So yes, a thousand times, yes, I would like to see a beautiful G rated romance where someone like me can live happily ever after too.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

You want an explanation? Fine. I think about the implications that Disney would face if they did this would be huge. Disney boycotts would definitely go on, especially from parents and from different churches across the continent.

I just feel that, If i was a kid, and I saw a gay relationship from a movie company that I adored, I would be very confused. Many questions would arise and a lot of parents would be enraged. I am thinking about the company, whose reputation is already a little shaky.
But that's not even really answering the question that was asked. This isn't about, "Do you think it would be good for the company/Do you think parents or other people would like it?" The question was, would you, personally (on your private time where the company's business doesn't concern you), mind watching a Disney film with a gay couple? Worrying about those other things is kind of a pointless explanation, considering this is just a "What if?"--we allknow Disney won't be doing this for another century (once gays aren't nearly so persecuted, and they usher in their first lesbian princesses, alongside the first Asian princess, the first Hispanic princess, and the first Alien princess.)

Of course, I wouldn't mind (obviously). But it probably wouldn't be much different from the princess films, except with the same gender. So, I'm not really hurting. The only thing is, I would just love to hear the songs they could have (having a Menken song for two guys in love would be so nice for me, personally. Nice fantasy. :D ).

But this is kind of a waste of time, because, of course, all the straight people will say no because they only like to see couples like themselves. And of course all the gay people will see yes, because they would like to see a couple like themselves for once. The only difference: most gay fans are able to empathize with straight couples. Love isn't a two-way street though, it seems.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Coolmanio »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
But that's not even really answering the question that was asked. This isn't about, "Do you think it would be good for the company/Do you think parents or other people would like it?" The question was, would you, personally (on your private time where the company's business doesn't concern you), mind watching a Disney film with a gay couple? Worrying about those other things is kind of a pointless explanation, considering this is just a "What if?"--we allknow Disney won't be doing this for another century (once gays aren't nearly so persecuted, and they usher in their first lesbian princesses, alongside the first Asian princess, the first Hispanic princess, and the first Alien princess.)

Of course, I wouldn't mind (obviously). But it probably wouldn't be much different from the princess films, except with the same gender. So, I'm not really hurting. The only thing is, I would just love to hear the songs they could have (having a Menken song for two guys in love would be so nice for me, personally. Nice fantasy. :D ).
The question didn't say that. The question was if I was in favor of one. I said no, because of the reasons I said in my above post. I can't just take my own personal feeling in account.

If the question became, like how you interpreted it, then my answer would change to, why not.

I am all for experiencing new things in the cinema, if it does not hurt anybody. Disney changed the face of animation with its first few films, and they may be able to do it again with a homosexual relationship.
Last edited by Coolmanio on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

If the story calls for it, why not? But, as said before, I don't see Disney taking on such a romance (at least not yet). To be honest, I think DreamWorks Animation of all studios will likely beat Disney to the punch in producing a gay/lesbian romance.

While we're on the subject, if there's one romance I would like to see Disney tackle, it's one involving a Liz Lemon type, if you get what I mean?
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

I wanna see it! You know, I think that if I was in charge of the princess franchise..... Look, just here me out....
1. If you have 2 princesses, you make twice as much money because you can sell twice as many dolls. :D
2. Disney Princess, as a franchise, has been all about diversity and girl-power lately. Lesbians are a minority, and are full of girl power! Why the heck not!

Come on Disney! Lesbian princesses, please!!! :D (If I wish hard enough on the evening star, it is sure to come true... please please please!!!)
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4J-2CpeCrQg?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4J-2CpeCrQg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

estefan wrote:If the story calls for it, why not? But, as said before, I don't see Disney taking on such a romance (at least not yet). To be honest, I think DreamWorks Animation of all studios will likely beat Disney to the punch in producing a gay/lesbian romance.

While we're on the subject, if there's one romance I would like to see Disney tackle, it's one involving a Liz Lemon type, if you get what I mean?
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8bBziwkrSA?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8bBziwkrSA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I apologize for the double post....

Also this video below pretty much says how I feel about it

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vZkcoB7RiMg?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vZkcoB7RiMg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Well that really 100% depends on story.

A gay couple rendition of a classic fairytale would be too ridiculous if you ask me.

And Disney is known for having cliched plots in their works. Sometimes it works and other times, it does not. If Disney were to come up with a homosexual couple it would come off too cliche for my taste. I'd rather see something subtle and ambiguous (where it's suggested that a couple is gay), but full on out in-your-face would come off too forced to me. I'd feel completely taken out of the movie.

Either that or I'd rather see Disney adapt an existing story about a gay couple so there's a better chance of it being done right.

Now suppose Disney wants to do a live action Disney Channel film about homosexuality. That would seem more real to me. I'd rather see a live action Disney film with a homosexual couple than an Disney animated feature with a homosexual couple. Mainly because the latter would be much too difficult to take seriously.

I'm not gay, btw
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

The answer is yes.

All who say no are homophobes. They say they aren't, but, yea right.

And coolmanio is a homophobe too as he said he would think children would be confused instead of, you know, learning something new as we all learn new things we have never seen before when we watch Disney films that have things we have never seen before, like other countries, etc.

toonaspie, they made The Lion King and Lilo & Stitch, their own original stories. They can make up an original story that has Disney themes and Disney essence about a gay couple.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.