Captain America Is Dead

All topics on all things Marvel.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Captain America Is Dead

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I don't know if you heard this or not, but Captain America gets killed off in his latest issue.

I have never read Captain America, but this sounded interesting to me.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... SFeeds0312
Ting Ting
Anniversary Edition

Post by Ting Ting »

We had a little discussion about this last night in the chat. I also thought it was interesting, though I don't read comic books at all. My local news saying that he ends up getting shot by a sniper, not by some supernatural character with any special powers. The whole point was to reveal that Captain America was just a man, and that there was nothing different about him than the rest of us.

I thought it was an interesting concept, but it's not a very exciting way to end a classic series like this one.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I just know there will be a lot of ticked-off fanboys who will try to get the comic hero revived.
I am the Doctor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by I am the Doctor »

Anyone who reads comic books regularly knows that no popular superhero ever stays dead. Remember all the hoopla about Superman's death back in 1993? Ol' Supes didn't stay dead very long, less than a year if I remember correctly.

No doubt Marvel is already planning Captain America's return to the comic books pages as we speak.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Captain America is not dead he's Ronin in the New Avengers.
Captain America just fakes his death so Spider-man and the heroes that are supporting him continue fighting for his cause. In other words Captain America wants people to think Iron Man and the government gone to far with the Superhuman Registration Act. I do agree with the Act but I'm not 100% with the Act. Sometimes heroes need to have their limits.

We all seen Superman, Green Arrow, Jean Grey, Booster Gold, Hawkeye, Bucky and Jason Todd die in the comic books but they return from the grave sooner or later.

All I can say is that I can't wait for the Might Avengers vs. The New Avengers smackdown...um..Netty and Loomis could now post....
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Spongebob Squarepants
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Spongebob Squarepants »

MickeyMousePal wrote:Captain America is not dead he's Ronin in the New Avengers.
Captain America just fakes his death so Spider-man and the heroes that are supporting him continue fighting for his cause. In other words Captain America wants people to think Iron Man and the government gone to far with the Superhuman Registration Act. I do agree with the Act but I'm not 100% with the Act. Sometimes heroes need to have their limits.

We all seen Superman, Green Arrow, Jean Grey, Booster Gold, Hawkeye, Bucky and Jason Todd die in the comic books but they return from the grave sooner or later.

All I can say is that I can't wait for the Might Avengers vs. The New Avengers smackdown...um..Netty and Loomis could now post....
I was reading an inteview though that Steve Rogers was dead but Captain America would live on.
"That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus,and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved"-Romans 10:9.
BackgroundActorman1976
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BackgroundActorman1976 »

PixarFan2006 wrote:I just know there will be a lot of ticked-off fanboys who will try to get the comic hero revived.
Actually there will be a lot of fan boys mad that the publishers are trying to cater to people who dont even read the comic. go around to alot of the websites there are lot of fanboys who are swearing they will never read another marvel comic book again cause they think its a way to boost sagging sales.

what better way to garner media and public intrests and sales than to kill of your main character, like it was said upabove they did it with superman 15 years ago(geesh its been that long allready my how time flies)

and on top of that the story is leaked to the press the night before the issue hits the stands, so that all the profiteers(just like when supes died) have bought up all the copies so the fans who have read faithfully over the years are forced to pay premium dollar cause everyone is sold out the first day. this book is allready going for alot of money online.
give it a year though and everyone who bought all those copies will see that the issue (like superman 75) is worth about 10 15 dollars.

i dont read captian america but i know i would be mad about this, if i did and not cause they killed him off but by the way it was executed and handled.
Be sure to look for me this summer very briefly in Predators
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Re: Captain America is dead.

Post by Ariel'sprince »

"i killed captain america"
"louder!"
"i killed captain america!".
O___ס.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

The comics industry is slowing heading back to the dark 90s, when I walked away from collecting due to the massive amount of crossovers, alternate covers and gimmick events.

Both DC and Marvel are running massive events at the moment - Infinite Crisis/52/Countdown and Civil War respectively - although I've really only been following the former. DC have made their current event a bit of a 'mystery' to solve, and I must confess that it is really quite good. Of course, it has had its fair share of deaths too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_ ... sis#Deaths

As you can see, the list of character changes; deaths; returns and absentees is quite extensive. The most notable of these is Superboy, and his death has been felt all around the DCU. For the most part, I think DC have handled these changes well, and helped usher in a new status quo in the DC Universe.

I just worry that killing off major characters - such as Captain America - only to resurrect him later, stinks of the cheap cash-in events of the 90s. Remember when Aunt May died?
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
thatartguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by thatartguy »

Aunt May dying was supposed to stick (it was a WONDERFUL issue). Then after the clone saga, John Byrne (in his infinite wisdom) brought her back.

Guess what?

At the end of Civil War Aunt May is shot in the gut by a sniper...
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Silly billies. It wasn't Aunt May who died, but an "actress" posing as Aunt May for a number of years at the behest of Norman Osborne (the original Green Goblin who died in a wonderful issue from the 1970's when, incidently Gwen Stacy died too - although she came back as a clone for one issue soon after, created by the Jackel, who also died, but cloned himself and Peter Parker, but the clone of Peter Parker who died, didn't and called himself Ben Reily who came back when the clone of the Jackel came back (and the clone of Gwen Stacy came back too)) And it turns out the Jackel "got better" with the help of Mendel Stromm who was working for Norman Osborne in a comic in the 60's, but died in that issue. However he "got better" and was helping the Jackel and calling himself "Gaunt" because the whole clone saga was created and manipulated by Norman Osborne (who was, at that time, believed dead, but remember he wasn't, but we didn't find that out until later when his son Harry Osborne died (harry was the second - well, technically the third I think - Green Goblin) and Norman wanted revenge. So as a revenge on Peter Parker who Norman blamed for his son's death, even though it was Norman's own Goblin formula that killed Harry - the same formula that made Norman himself "get better" he kidnapped Aunt May at some unspecified time (probably around the time he arranged the Halloween Party at the Daily Bugle where the clone of Peter Parker who already died once (and may not even have been the clone, you know, Peter could be the clone, after all, they are identical!) died again) and had her pretend to be Aunt May because she was dying of Cancer, and it would be an emotional blow to Peter to watch his Aunt (who's not his real aunt, but Peter (and indeed the readers) didn't know that) die in front of his eyes.

See, it's all perfectly logical. Why are people so cynical about death in comics? It's not as if people who "die" get better all the time.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Who are the Contenders for Captain America?
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=63610
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

2099net wrote:Silly billies. It wasn't Aunt May who died, but an "actress" posing as Aunt May for a number of years at the behest of Norman Osborne (the original Green Goblin who died in a wonderful issue from the 1970's when, incidently Gwen Stacy died too - although she came back as a clone for one issue soon after, created by the Jackel, who also died, but cloned himself and Peter Parker, but the clone of Peter Parker who died, didn't and called himself Ben Reily who came back when the clone of the Jackel came back (and the clone of Gwen Stacy came back too)) And it turns out the Jackel "got better" with the help of Mendel Stromm who was working for Norman Osborne in a comic in the 60's, but died in that issue. However he "got better" and was helping the Jackel and calling himself "Gaunt" because the whole clone saga was created and manipulated by Norman Osborne (who was, at that time, believed dead, but remember he wasn't, but we didn't find that out until later when his son Harry Osborne died (harry was the second - well, technically the third I think - Green Goblin) and Norman wanted revenge. So as a revenge on Peter Parker who Norman blamed for his son's death, even though it was Norman's own Goblin formula that killed Harry - the same formula that made Norman himself "get better" he kidnapped Aunt May at some unspecified time (probably around the time he arranged the Halloween Party at the Daily Bugle where the clone of Peter Parker who already died once (and may not even have been the clone, you know, Peter could be the clone, after all, they are identical!) died again) and had her pretend to be Aunt May because she was dying of Cancer, and it would be an emotional blow to Peter to watch his Aunt (who's not his real aunt, but Peter (and indeed the readers) didn't know that) die in front of his eyes.

See, it's all perfectly logical. Why are people so cynical about death in comics? It's not as if people who "die" get better all the time.
When you really think about it, the comic writers are always scrapping out the end of the barrel!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
blackcauldron85

http://tommy2.net/content/?p=13857
On Monday, Hollywire created a bit of buzz with a story reporting that Joe Jonas and Kevin Jonas are “in contention for both Captain America and other characters” in the upcoming Marvel film, Captain America. Hmmm… one thing to keep in mind is that the site hasn’t always been that accurate. To date, the only confirmed name to audition for the lead role has been Dane Cook (via Twitter).
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:http://tommy2.net/content/?p=13857
On Monday, Hollywire created a bit of buzz with a story reporting that Joe Jonas and Kevin Jonas are “in contention for both Captain America and other characters” in the upcoming Marvel film, Captain America. Hmmm… one thing to keep in mind is that the site hasn’t always been that accurate. To date, the only confirmed name to audition for the lead role has been Dane Cook (via Twitter).

so if this is true...we have Captian Jonas of America and former Werewolf Taylor Lautner as Stretch Armstrong :P
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
blackcauldron85

'Captain America': New details, including another possibility for the starring role
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/03/ ... ing-tatum/
(via laughingplace.com)

Oh, I guess the Jonas rumor really was a rumor. :(
blackcauldron85

Chris Evans Offered Role of Captain America
http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=73830
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

^^ WTF? Is there like only 20 actors in all of Hollywood so that they're forced to cast people who have already played a role in a comic book movie? I'm not attacking Chris Evans (for all I know, he could do a marvelous job), but rather this stupid idea. Ryan Reynolds is the worst offender so far: three roles and counting. One superhero per actor, please.
blackcauldron85

EarthsMightiest: Director Joe Johnston Talks the Casting of Chris Evans as Captain America
http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=74012

MarvelNews: Captain America Movie: Peggy Carter Cast
http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=74028
blackcauldron85