Columbia House Question

Feedback for the site and forum: comments, questions, suggestions welcome.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Columbia House Question

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I'm still toying with the idea of joining Columbia House's DVD Club again, though I haven't yet decided for sure. If I do decide to join, of course, I'd like to support the site in doing so. I have a question, though.

The affiliate link posted on the site takes me to a screen that only offers a small selection of DVDs that can be clicked on as a free selection. I can't find anywhere to search (maybe I'm just missing it). This is the same window that I usually get in emails or pop-ups.

By just going to the main website, though, you can search through their entire library. Many of these titles are available as free enrollment selections (including most of the titles I'd hope to get), but I can't see them on the other window.

Is there any way to go through that second link, or to search for movies, that will still support the site? It's joining the club either way, so I don't see why they would care which way I go. I'd really like to support the site in joining, if I do. Thanks.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Thanks for wanting to support the site, Aaron. I really, really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, it seems like the only way to sign-up through the site's links is to join through the limited, non-searchable CH site. What you can try is going through the link before going to columbiahouse.com, but I doubt that will work. I believe the limited site has the titles that CH stocks up the most on, and want to push the most.

So, hey, do what you want of course. And if you save a bunch, you could always donate a few bucks through the <a href="http://www.amazon.com/paypage/P33A0X1CKRVO64">make a contribution Amazon PayPage</a>! ;)

I guess this is one of those instances where you can't have your cake and eat it too! Or something like that. Sorry.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Thanks, Luke. Maybe I could try taking the end of the URL that has the promo code and plug that on the end of the other URL? Hmm. I'll look into it a little more if/when I definitely decide to join.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Your guess is as good as mine! Maybe it will work. :)

Thanks!
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I have recently made a couple lists of movies & TV shows that I want on DVD, and my lists are pretty extensive. www.columbiahouse.com and http://tv-show-dvds.columbiahouse.com/ don't seem to allow you to search for specific titles. Does anyone know if there is a way to search before signing up? Also, do they have monthly sales (like Disney Movie Club does), like Buy 1, get the rest 40% off, and sales like that? For those of you who are members, are you happy with the values you get? Are the shipping charges worthwhile (and how much are shipping charges?)? Am I better off just buying DVDs at Amazon and Best Buy?

Thanks! :)
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I have recently made a couple lists of movies & TV shows that I want on DVD, and my lists are pretty extensive. www.columbiahouse.com and http://tv-show-dvds.columbiahouse.com/ don't seem to allow you to search for specific titles. Does anyone know if there is a way to search before signing up? Also, do they have monthly sales (like Disney Movie Club does), like Buy 1, get the rest 40% off, and sales like that? For those of you who are members, are you happy with the values you get? Are the shipping charges worthwhile (and how much are shipping charges?)? Am I better off just buying DVDs at Amazon and Best Buy?

Thanks! :)
See the second post for the complete list of TV titles

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/5141 ... sting.html

Shipping
1-2 disc sets
First Selection $2.99
Each Additional Selection $1.99
3 disc sets
$5.99 each
4 disc sets
$6.99 each
5 disc sets or more
$7.99 each

They do have free shipping specials through out the year, and around christmas time they have free shipping on box sets

Sales

^ non-vip offer

^ vip offer

^ one of the many random sales they have through out the year

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/5290 ... iv-47.html

^ List of current sales (B1G1 Free, 70% offhen you Buy 1, etc..)

Enrollment Codes

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/4804 ... rt-ii.html

0ZS will give you 6 dvds @ $.49 each, Then you can buy one at $9.95 and only have to buy 2 within the next 2 years

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/4652 ... th-16.html

^ this is a list of newly added titles
blackcauldron85

Thanks, jrboy! I just looked up this thread because I was curious again about Columbia House, and I didn't even know that you answered my questions!

So, it'd be 6 titles for 49 cents each, with free shipping. So, the first order would only be $2.94. Is the deal that you need to buy 3 more within the next 2 years, but you can buy one with your initial order for $9.95, and then buy only 2 within the next 2 years? So, the initial order would be $12.89.

How long does it take Columbia House to get new releases?

Overall, in your opinion, do you feel that it's worth being in the club versus buying the movies elsewhere? Are the deals always buy one at full price and then take a percentage off the rest? Or are there ever deals like take 40% off your whole order (without having to buy one at full price)?

Thanks for your help! :)
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

blackcauldron85 wrote:So, it'd be 6 titles for 49 cents each, with free shipping. So, the first order would only be $2.94. Is the deal that you need to buy 3 more within the next 2 years, but you can buy one with your initial order for $9.95, and then buy only 2 within the next 2 years? So, the initial order would be $12.89.
Correct
blackcauldron85 wrote:How long does it take Columbia House to get new releases?
Most new dvds can be pre-ordered within a few days after the have been announced. Universal titles are added to the site on their release date.
blackcauldron85 wrote:Overall, in your opinion, do you feel that it's worth being in the club versus buying the movies elsewhere? Are the deals always buy one at full price and then take a percentage off the rest? Or are there ever deals like take 40% off your whole order (without having to buy one at full price)?
Current Codes
802162 - Free S&H 3+ + 15% off DVD Order (b1 + 50% off?)
802444 - Free S&H 3+ + $6 FC per DVD (b1 + 50% off?)
805562 - Free S&H on DVD Order + 15% off DVD Order (b1 + 60% off?)
805643 - Free S&H on DVD Order + $6 FC per DVD (b1 + 60% off?)
805725 - b1 + 60% off + Free S&H 3+ on DVD Order
806125 - b1 + 2/3s off + Free S&H on DVD Order
808943 - Free S&H 3+ + $6 FC per DVD (40% off?)
809062 - Free S&H 3+ + 15% off DVD Order (40% off?)

Previous code still working -
801490 - b1g1 unlimited
802334 - b1g1
802428 - b1 + 50% + Extra 10% off DVD Order
805628 - b1 + 60% + Extra 10% off DVD Order
805689 - b1 + 60
808989 - 40% off

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-clubs/5290 ... iv-63.html
Columbia House is a great place to by dvds. This pasted year I have bought over 200 dvds from them. The only bad thing about them is their shipping prices for box sets. Entering codes can be a bit tricky, so if you ever need help just let me know.
blackcauldron85

Thanks yet again! What does "FC" mean in the codes?

I'm getting some extra money from doing some surveys, and I think that I might join the club...

Do you get all your discount codes from the DVDTalk forum? If I join, I should bookmark that site.
Does the first code mean Buy 1, get 60% off the rest of your order, and if you order 3 or more movies, you get free S&H?
Likewise, does the second code mean Buy 1, get the rest of the movies at 2/3s off and you get free S&H no matter how many movies you buy?

I appreciate all your help! :)

Oh, and can you decine the selection of the month online? And is it hard to quit the club once you've fulfilled your membership? I'll probably stay in it, but just wondering.
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Thanks yet again! What does "FC" mean in the codes?

FC = Fun Cash

VIP - Get $2 FunCash™ for virtually every DVD you buy, including sale items
NON - VIP Get $1 FunCash™ for virtually every DVD you buy, including sale items

I'm getting some extra money from doing some surveys, and I think that I might join the club...

Do you get all your discount codes from the DVDTalk forum? If I join, I should bookmark that site.
Does the first code mean Buy 1, get 60% off the rest of your order, and if you order 3 or more movies, you get free S&H?
Likewise, does the second code mean Buy 1, get the rest of the movies at 2/3s off and you get free S&H no matter how many movies you buy?

Correct on both. but free shipping is only for 1 or 2-disc sets. dvds with 3 or more disc you have to pay shipping.

I appreciate all your help! :)

Oh, and can you decine the selection of the month online? And is it hard to quit the club once you've fulfilled your membership? I'll probably stay in it, but just wondering.

Yes you can decline the selection online and quiting is just a call away.
blackcauldron85

Let's say you get $8 Fun Cash from an order. You can't use it on that order, right? You have to wait until next time? Is there a minimum of Fast Cash you need to have in order to use it, or if you have any amount, can you just apply it to your next order? And how do you do so?!?

Thanks yet again! I probably will have more questions up until (and after) I join, and I appreciate your help!

Also, are you allowed to fulfill your requirement all in one order? Like, if I got the 6 for 49 cents each, and the $9.95 title, and the 2 for $19.95 or more, that would fulfill my requirement, but would I be allowed to do that? Would I have to order over the phone? Would the website let me do that in my first order?

*edit*
So, I used to be a member of both BMG & Columbia House music clubs years ago, and I never had any problems. I've read a lot of stories online of people complaining that Columbia House charged them for things they never ordered, or that they never received their order or a refund. But that's rare, right? I guess I'm just paranoid, but you UD members who have joined one of those clubs haven't had problems, right? I successfully canceled my previous memberships and never had an issue with collections or anything, but why do so many people have issues with the company? If you go on ripoffreport.com, for example, there are hundreds of cases of Columbia House doing people wrong...I'm kind of debating whether or not to join the DVD club now. Surely most people don't have these issues, right?

*edit*

After reading people's posts on the DVDTalk forum, I have more faith in Columbia House. One person did mention signing up for Columbia House on the phone, due to people being rejected many times while trying to sign up online. (The enrollment phone number apparently is (888-242-3837...I'm mostly posting this so I can call when I'm ready and can find the number easily, lol.) Apparently the codes you can use online are cheaper than the codes you can use on the phone? Are there any codes that work on both the website and on the phone that are a good deal? Did you sign up online? Did you have any problems? Have you ever signed up or ordered through the phone number?

*edit*
Sorry this is turning out to be so long! DVDTalk says this:

Phone in codes EBP Call 888-242-3837. You may need a PSN, if you dont have one, say you dont have it with you.

You get 6 DVDs for 49¢ each--FREE shipping and processing.
As a Club member, all you need to do is buy 3 more movies in the next 2 years at regular Club prices (currently as low as $19.95 each plus shipping and processing). You may cancel anytime thereafter by contacting Customer Service.

ADVANCE BONUS OFFER!

Take a 7th movie now for the special price of just $9.95 (FREE shipping and processing) and have only 2 more movies to buy at regular Club prices(instead of 3) in the next 2 years. Plus, you can even take an 8th movie for $9.95 (FREE shipping and processing).

So I guess that seems to be what I should do, use the above code to enroll over the phone...?

*edit*
One more question...
Do you know anything about CH.com? Some people mentioned it on the DVDTalk forum. I just read the guidelines: Here's how it works: It's simple. You get 3 FREE DVDs right now when you sign up and pay a one-time fee of $9.95. Then, buy at least 2 DVDs within the next year and each year you remain a member, while you're enjoying complete access to our enormous catalog. And remember shipping is ALWAYS FREE! Is this any better than the regular Columbia House?
blackcauldron85

So, I called Columbia House today to sign up, and I tried using the code EBP. The lady said that that code has expired or something...maybe I should have checked DVDTalk, I don't know. Anyhoo, she mentioned one "deal", which must've been their "non-deal" they try to sucker people with. I said no to that one, but then she said I could get 4 free movies when I buy one at $9.95 (all with free shipping), with 4 more to buy at regular club price in the next 2 years. I said yes to that one. It's not as good, but it's not horrible...especially if I utilize their sales. I thought I'd be ordering all 5 at once, but I ordered one, and will get a voucher for the other 4 free movies. I'm kind of bummed about the offer, but it could've been worse, and I'm glad I enrolled and I hope the sales are really good!
blackcauldron85

When I signed up with Columbia House, the offer I accepted was that I'd get 5 movies for the price of 1, and I'd have to buy 4 more movies at Club price over the next 2 years. Then I was told that I could order one movie then, and I'd receive vouchers for 4 free movies. When I got my initial package, I did not have any vouchers in the box, and I had not received any. Now my mind is hazy and I don't remember if I called right then or not, but I know that I called on December 22, and was told that they'd resend the vouchers (since I had never received them). I came back last night from a 9-day vacation, and I received a week's worth of mail within the past hour. I received a package from Columbia House, the order date being 12/29, but I still had no vouchers. I called Columbia House shortly ago (the key is pressing the number of "Placing an order" if you want to talk with an employee), and I almost feel bad for the guy, since I could've been nicer. I told him what my initial offer was, and I said that I never received my vouchers for the free movies, and that I called on the 22nd and was told that I would receive my vouchers, and that I hadn't received them yet. He then asked if I would like to order the free movies right then on the phone. I wasn't expecting that kind of service, and I said that I would, and let me get my list. I only had written down the selection numbers of a few movies on my list, but I told him the selection numbers of 4 movies. And I double-checked with him that I wouldn't have to pay shipping on those movies, and he said that I wouldn't, that they're absolutely free. And that was that.

I don't understand why it took this long for me to be able to order my free movies. The lady I spoke with last month never offered to let me order the free movies on the phone- she just said that I should have received my vouchers in my initial package with a welcome letter, and when I said that I did not receive the vouchers or a welcome letter, she said that she'd resend them. I don't know what went wrong, but she never resent them (and it's not like they would've taken this long to get to me, since an order of movies that I placed just a few days ago has already arrived). I don't know why she never offered to let me order the movies over the phone. The guy today was nice, at least in the sense that he let me order the free movies on the phone...I could've been nicer. I didn't really yell or anything, but I was upset (and I told him that I was upset).

I hope that, from now on, I'll be able to order on the website and not have any problems and not have to deal with the employees. Not that they're all bad or anything, but it's just easier to order online and receive the movies...

If I hadn't called, I never would've gotten the vouchers that I was entitled to. I should've gotten them the first time, when I was supposed to, with my initial order. I definitely should have gotten them the second time, after the lady told me that they'd resend them out. I'm just disappointed with Columbia House. I like their sales, though- the movies I just ordered were buy 1, get the rest 50% off. The current sale is: "Get a FREE DVD, plus DVDs at 60% off when you buy 1 at regular club price.
Hurry, this special offer is only available until 11:59 PM EST on January 31, 2009."
I don't think that I'll have money for that, but that's such a great deal! I'm not 100% sure if you're the equivalent of a Disney Movie Club "VIP" when you complete your Columbia House requirement, but already the 2 deals that I've seen are better than most of the Disney Movie Club deals, and I'm a DMC VIP!

So, even though I'm disappointed with Columbia House, I am pleased with their deals, and it's already been worth the money, I think.

I haven't yet received a confirmation email for my free movies (and I don't have a confirmation number, since I ordered on the phone and didn't ask for one [I should have!]), and if I don't get a confirmation email soon, then I'll have to call and see if my order even exists, and if it doesn't, then I'll be upset. So hopefully I'll receive an email and all will be well!
blackcauldron85

I'm trying to figure out if I should cancel my Columbia House membership. I hardly buy from them. Most of the DVDs I buy are Disney, and I'm really from now on trying to be extra picky about what I buy. There are still quite a few non-Disney titles I want to buy (mostly Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Mandy Moore, Elvis, and Beatles movies), as well as some other titles coming out soon like The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind.

I guess I could save money on some of these titles, but it seems like the only way to save on Columbia House is to buy more than one at once. As Bobby said, I'm going to be in debt for 2 years (lol, I don't think quite that long, since I'm selling some of my things), but overall, is it just cheaper buying used DVDs on Amazon and at places like Blockbuster? Is a Columbia House membership worth it for someone who only sometimes buys non-Disney DVDs?

Or is there a super-awesome sale I should stay a member for?

Or will they make me an offer over the phone if I call to cancel?

Any advice would be helpful!

Once I purchase the remaining movies I have in mind, then I think I would just cancel, since I would just buy any new releases either when they come out or used later on.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

From my experiences years ago, the best thing to do with Columbia House is join, maximize your savings, and get out once you've fulfilled your commitment. It's always a better deal to rejoin with a good code than stay a member.
blackcauldron85

What do you think is the best kind of deal to join with that makes it worth it? The deal I signed up with (I had 2 or 3 codes and none were working over the phone) was Get 1 for $9.97 now, get 4 (?) free later, and then pay for 4 more movies. It wasn't the best deal, and I probably should've just said "No, goodbye", because when she wouldn't accept my codes, she tried to offer me some horrible deal, and I said no to that, and maybe this was her counter offer, or maybe she had another...? I can look for the current code that actually works...

About my first question: How many movies is a good deal to have to pay full price for? I can always get movies cheaper than $19.97, especially used online, so is the savings from the cheaper or free movies worth buying X number of full-priced titles?
blackcauldron85

Do Bonus Points (they used to be called FunCash) expire at the end of the year? Columbia House's website says that I have 0 Bonus Points, but I bought movies in 2008 & 2009...?