Disney confirms Blu-Ray Disc titles for 2009

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Disney confirms Blu-Ray Disc titles for 2009

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Click here!
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

The Blu-Ray clips of Monsters Inc. and A Bug's Life found on Wall*E's "The Pixar Story" were absolutely astonishing. It was obvious they'd already been prepped for HD. Still, even I was shocked at how extraordinary A Bug's Life looked. If you haven't seen A Bug's Life or Monsters Inc on Blu-Ray, then you haven't seen it.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

I can't wait for A Bug's Life and Monsters, Inc. to be on Blu!!! Now, all we need is Toy Story, Toy Story 2, The Incredibles, & Finding Nemo and we'll have all the Pixar's on Blu!
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:I can't wait for A Bug's Life and Monsters, Inc. to be on Blu!!! Now, all we need is Toy Story, Toy Story 2, The Incredibles, & Finding Nemo and we'll have all the Pixar's on Blu!
Toy Story and Toy Story 2 are going to come back to theaters before they reach Blu-Ray -- all to get people excited for Toy Story 3. So don't expect to see those for a while.

Next year's Blus include Pinocchio, Snow White, Bolt, Up, A Bug's Life, and Monsters Inc. That's a fantastic lineup -- Pinocchio in high definition, finally given the restoration given to other titles...that Blu-Ray's going to be an event.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

A Bug's Life was the first dvd I've ever seen, and it looked (and still looks) amazing. Can't wait for it, and for Monsters, Inc. as well. Is it too soon to speculate about bonus material? It would be easy to duplicate them from the SE, but Disney has put out some great releases already in Blu-Ray. I really hope/guess they're going to put some new material on it. And of course A Bug's Life should be called the 'Super Genius' Edition :D.
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

I'm glad Pinnochio's Blu Ray will include a DVD as well. I have a portable DVD player and I have a Blu Ray. The blu Ray disc can be watched at home, and I can take the DVD one with me on the road.
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I will get both A Bugs Life (Even though it's my least favorite Pixar film) and Monsters Inc on Blu-Ray.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Excellent news! I'm especially excited to see Monsters, Inc. on BD. I haven't watched The Pixar Story, yet, on my WALL-E BD (I will; don't stone me!), so I've yet to experience MI in high-def. I take it, though, that with two Pixar catalogue titles and one new release (Up), we're not getting Finding Nemo this year, after all? The article makes no mention of it even though Disney outright said they were postponing it from fall 2008 to fall 2009.
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

Disneykid wrote:Excellent news! I'm especially excited to see Monsters, Inc. on BD. I haven't watched The Pixar Story, yet, on my WALL-E BD (I will; don't stone me!), so I've yet to experience MI in high-def. I take it, though, that with two Pixar catalogue titles and one new release (Up), we're not getting Finding Nemo this year, after all? The article makes no mention of it even though Disney outright said they were postponing it from fall 2008 to fall 2009.
Sounds like they'll hold off on Nemo -- they might even be looking at theatrical reissue.
GIANTfraggle

Post by GIANTfraggle »

Rudy Matt wrote:
Disneykid wrote:Excellent news! I'm especially excited to see Monsters, Inc. on BD. I haven't watched The Pixar Story, yet, on my WALL-E BD (I will; don't stone me!), so I've yet to experience MI in high-def. I take it, though, that with two Pixar catalogue titles and one new release (Up), we're not getting Finding Nemo this year, after all? The article makes no mention of it even though Disney outright said they were postponing it from fall 2008 to fall 2009.
Sounds like they'll hold off on Nemo -- they might even be looking at theatrical reissue.
Nemo in 3D would be super rad! :) I wonder if I should sell my Snow White dvd now, since I'll be getting the blu-ray. While I can get good money for it :?
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

Personally, I am keeping my old Snow White DVD because it is still the best DVD Disney has ever produced, in my opinion (Aladdin is a close second.) Unless every nook and cranny of the original DVD's suppliments gets carried over, there will still be significant value in having the old one. Which means there will still be significant value in having the old one, because since when have they ever included everything from the prior release?

Still, I am extremely excited about the Blu-ray debut, and Monsters and Bug's too. I assume that Monsters will come in the fall in tandem with the release of Up, which is director Pete Doctor's first film since it. Bug's Life could be an early spring run-up to Up, sort of how they used it to promote Nemo's original release by reissuing the 2-disc set. I hope all the suppliments from these are carried over, and again, am not going to dump my old discs until I have the new ones in my hands. And even then I am likely to keep the DVD anyway just in case I am ever away from my Blu-ray player.

I do find the exclusion of Nemo quite odd, but on the other hand, I understand why they might not want to rush three Pixar films out at once either. Gotta hold onto the surfire sellers so that they can get our money over time.

In terms of non-Disney Disney stuff revealed in the same press release, in particular I note the hi-def debuts of the first two seasons of Lost. This makes sense, although I kind of thought they would hold these back to debut them in hi-def as a part of the big complete series box set which is doubtlessly coming next year (the series finale is in May 2010, so I would not be surprised at all to see a big box around December of that year.) I personally will wait to upgrade them until the box.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Next year's Blus include Pinocchio, Snow White, Bolt, Up, A Bug's Life, and Monsters Inc. That's a fantastic lineup -- Pinocchio in high definition, finally given the restoration given to other titles...that Blu-Ray's going to be an event.
Pinocchio was restored 2-3 years ago, as a matter of fact. It was only released in Europe, however. (And some Asian countries)
I'm not sure why we didn't get it over here... I think Disney favored other movies for their Platinum series. But just to let you know it's not a "new" restoration at all, but one that's already been done. (At least I can safely assume they're using the version Lowry restored, why would they redo it?)

I'm just hoping the DVD version isn't gutterboxed... I know the Blu-Ray will have to have pillarboxes due to its native 16:9 aspect ratio... but the previews on other Disney DVDs has it literally surrounded by black bars on non-widescreen TVs.

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

drfsupercenter wrote:I'm just hoping the DVD version isn't gutterboxed... I know the Blu-Ray will have to have pillarboxes due to its native 16:9 aspect ratio... but the previews on other Disney DVDs has it literally surrounded by black bars on non-widescreen TVs.
I was just wondering about that. I hope the DVD/Blu isn't like the previews with the black bars on each side. I don't mind them on the top and bottom but it drives me crazy on the sides ...lol
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Well, they're necessary on the sides to preserve the 4:3 aspect ratio of old movies and TV shows. On widescreen TVs, I mean.

Having the pillarboxes is the same idea as having letterboxes - not everything natively fits the screen. And I really can't stand the fact that HDTVs, by default, are programmed to stretch 4:3 shows out to fill the screen. I wish people would suck it up and leave the black bars on... even zooming it to cut the top and bottom off is preferred over DISTORTING the image.

But yes, hopefully it won't get "gutterboxed" on DVD. (As hey, DVD can be set to 4:3, why wouldn't you do that?)

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!
rb_canadian181
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rb_canadian181 »

I'm pretty sure we are getting a Blu-Ray nemo. the article on Disney's official blu-ray page has a picture from the movie accompanyiing the article.
If you go http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/bluray/ and then into About->News, the article is there. Although, it says Titles for 2008?
I was really hoping to get that one! it sucks cause i would have loved to get TLM on blu-ray, and Aladdin but it will be a while till their rotation comes around :(
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

drfsupercenter wrote:Having the pillarboxes is the same idea as having letterboxes - not everything natively fits the screen. And I really can't stand the fact that HDTVs, by default, are programmed to stretch 4:3 shows out to fill the screen.
They're not programmed to. The problem is none of the US connections have a flag saying what aspect the aspect ratio is, it it can do nothing but assume its a widescreen source. Over in PAL-land we have SCART (or Euroconnector) and this does. It makes a world of difference, I'm constantly fretting over my US multichanger which doesn't have a SCART connection. When I play on my SCART connection DVD PVR I've never, ever had a DVD or TV programme shown on screen in the wrong aspect ratio.

Likewise, even the highbandwidth HDMI doesn't have an aspect ratio flag! Unbelieveable! They create a connection with the highest bandwidth available, and they can't spare 1 single bit for aspect ratio information - all it needs is a widescreen true or false - yet they can cram all that copy protection on. It's clear where priorities lie isn't it? It constantly annoyes me when playing DVDs (or even old PS2 games) on my PS3 connected via HDMI.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

drfsupercenter wrote: And I really can't stand the fact that HDTVs, by default, are programmed to stretch 4:3 shows out to fill the screen.
Say what?

Serious question -- do you actually own a High Def TV?

You have to select the "stretch" mode manually on every HDTV set I've ever played with -- its not the default seting -- and the set I own only has a "zoom" feature, not a "stretch" feature, and it CERTAINLY isn't the default setting.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Rudy Matt wrote:
drfsupercenter wrote: And I really can't stand the fact that HDTVs, by default, are programmed to stretch 4:3 shows out to fill the screen.
Say what?

Serious question -- do you actually own a High Def TV?

You have to select the "stretch" mode manually on every HDTV set I've ever played with -- its not the default seting -- and the set I own only has a "zoom" feature, not a "stretch" feature, and it CERTAINLY isn't the default setting.
I haven't seen this as a default setting either. However it seems to be the "default" setting that 99% of people use. I've even seen zooming on movies wider than 1.85:1 just to get rid of the black bars.

The thing that is annoying me now is the local networks (NBC, ABC, etc...) in SD are zooming shows. If a show is widescreen they used to show it in widescreen on the SD feed. Now they zoom it in cutting off the sides. The HD feed is still widescreen. Its very obvious to me, but I've pointed it out to some and they don't notice it. That or they are glad, because the bars are annoying to them. :(

However it might be because of the DTV switch and its easier for them to just zoom the HD feed and send it though like that.
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

DarthPrime wrote: I haven't seen this as a default setting either. However it seems to be the "default" setting that 99% of people use. I've even seen zooming on movies wider than 1.85:1 just to get rid of the black bars.

The thing that is annoying me now is the local networks (NBC, ABC, etc...) in SD are zooming shows. If a show is widescreen they used to show it in widescreen on the SD feed. Now they zoom it in cutting off the sides. The HD feed is still widescreen. Its very obvious to me, but I've pointed it out to some and they don't notice it. That or they are glad, because the bars are annoying to them. :(

However it might be because of the DTV switch and its easier for them to just zoom the HD feed and send it though like that.
The only channels that I see showing content in Fubar Aspect Ratios are TBSHD, the Hallmark Channel, and occasionally The History Channel HD (all are guilty of merely stretching their non-HD content, which means anyone with a modicum of taste changes the channel). So 3 out of 100 isn't a bad outing, and I only own the basic HD package. No premium channels, ets.

How people choose to watch movies is, of course, up to them. It seems the same idiots who don't like black bars on their square TVs also hate them on their rectangular TVs. We're going to have to fight them just as much as we did before.
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

April 14, 2009

* All-new deleted scenes with commentary and alternate ending
* More deleted scenes (Blu-ray exclusive)
* Easter Eggs
* Behind-the-Scenes special
* Set-top game: Heads Up Texas Hold 'Em
* Professional Poker
* Feature commentary with professional poker players
* Feature commentary with director John Dahl, screenwriters David Levien and Brian Koppelman, and actor Edward Norton
* Tips from Championship Poker Players