Member Survey: Buying DVDs Online

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.

What is your preferred source for buying DVDs online?

Amazon
39%
Buy.com
4%
DVDEmpire.com
No votes
Columbia House
No votes
Disney Movie Club
No votes
eBay
11%
Other (specify in post)
32%
I rarely or never buy DVDs online.
14%

Total votes: 28

Brink!
Limited Issue

Post by Brink! »

How often do you buy DVDs online?

every month i buy 4 or like this month 7 (but also got cd's , a video and fleetwoodmac tourmerchandise online) but out of the 7 titles this month 6 are disney :wink:

If you rarely or never buy DVDs online, why not?

N/A

What online DVD retailers have you used in the past?

amazon was the first online shop i ordered from
i have also bought 3 titles (lord of rings fellowship collector's box and the 2 harry potters from blackstar.com

Which online DVD retailer did you pick in the poll and why do you prefer them?

amazon all the way because they ship very fast and have great great costumer service and a very large catalogue too !!
i sometimes shop at amazon.uk too

US or International customer?

international i'm from holland

Any suggestions for improving the site in any way?

i've only been here 2 days but it is the most comprehensive i found on disney i love the listings of all the live action movies
most sites only direct their atention to the animation
"Can't put me finger on what lies in store,
but i feel what's to happen all happened before"
(Mary Poppins)

"Pull the lever, kronk.
- WRONG LEVER !
why do we even have that lever ?"
(The Emperor's new Groove)
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Thanks for the feedback. By the way, brink, how DID you find the site?
Brink!
Limited Issue

Post by Brink! »

Luke wrote:Thanks for the feedback. By the way, brink, how DID you find the site?
Well luke it was not at all easy i must say

first i went to a yahoo search engine and typed in : disney
out of the results only on page 3 i found something of interest
a site called the disney corner (they had a subside called "friends of disney alliance" with over 1000 best related web sites.
there under the section search i typed in: live action,
wich turned up 2 result pages
on the first one was a site called: "joshua's walt disney page"
wich had a link to YOUR site
it had the disney dvd logo and after it the sentence : The Ultimate Guide to Disney DVD
and that finaly brought me here

i just retraced my steps to see how it was i got here again but there you have it :lol:

must be an easier way availlable i have overlooked

Glad to be of help :)
(Mary Poppins)

"Pull the lever, kronk.
- WRONG LEVER !
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Wow, what an odyssey! :D

The site just isn't getting the kind of traffic I'd hope for. Even though the site covers hundreds of topics and ideally putting any movie title in + DVD should turn it up, it just doesn't happen. Even "Disney DVD" puts me several pages in at the most popular search engine - Google. I think links from other sites would be extremely helpful in a lot of ways, as it will help the site turn up in search engines.

Anyway, Josh is a member here at the forum, and in addition to having a great site, he's a really nice guy.

And you're right about the Live Action Disney films. They tend to get overlooked by most Disney fansites, but I love them! :)
Bella Notte

Post by Bella Notte »

Luke,

I found this site by doing a search on Yahoo for Disney's Platinum release schedule (+disney +platinum +dvd +schedule). Your site came up at #2. (Originally, I found the old discussion forum which changed to the current site a few days later. :) )

Carrie
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Wow, searching for THAT does bring up the site with a pretty high ranking. That's good to hear.

8)
Brink!
Limited Issue

Post by Brink! »

Luke wrote:Wow, what an odyssey! :D

The site just isn't getting the kind of traffic I'd hope for. Even though the site covers hundreds of topics and ideally putting any movie title in + DVD should turn it up, it just doesn't happen. Even "Disney DVD" puts me several pages in at the most popular search engine - Google. I think links from other sites would be extremely helpful in a lot of ways, as it will help the site turn up in search engines.

Anyway, Josh is a member here at the forum, and in addition to having a great site, he's a really nice guy.

And you're right about the Live Action Disney films. They tend to get overlooked by most Disney fansites, but I love them! :)
I'm sorry that the page isn't getting the traffic yet that you hoped for !]
how long has it been up ?
I work in a record store and sell loads of disney dvd's (we're having a 3 for the price of 2 action on disneytitles coming up) anyways i will make sure to get some mouth to mouth advertising of your site out when i have disney costumers who are interested in more :)

and about the live action movie's i'm fanatacaly collecting the vault/se series right now (i'm in the midst of the 20.000 leagues dvd it is a blast !!!
thank god i have a region free player
cause the word patiente is not in my vocabulary :lol: :lol:
(Mary Poppins)

"Pull the lever, kronk.
- WRONG LEVER !
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Brink! wrote:I'm sorry that the page isn't getting the traffic yet that you hoped for !]
how long has it been up ?
From its very first incarnations, it's been 2 1/2 years. At the UltimateDisney.com domain, it's been about 6 months, and before that at Angelfire, there was maybe another 6 months of decent traffic. We were really growing earlier in the year, but we've seemed to have petered out around 800-900 total visitors a day.

It certainly doesn't help that it's easier to find the old Angelfire site which points to here, individual forum topics, and a review index which points to reviews on the old Angelfire site than it is to find UltimateDisney.com on google.

Them's the breaks, I guess, but I honestly feel that it's a matter of making this site easier to find. Certainly, there are thousands of people who would find a site like this useful, and I try to add worthwhile content and frequent updates to keep them coming back. But it's a struggle.

Thanks for the support. Just watched 20,000 Leagues and some of the extras over the weekend. Haven't even touched the 90-minute making-of documentary yet, though. Looks really fabulous and if true, it's a shame that they'd be discontinuing their Vault Disney/"SE" line.
RoyalNatalie
Limited Issue

Post by RoyalNatalie »

I usually will pre-order a good DVD at Disneystore.com if it comes with some extra goodies. Otherwise, I only order online (almost always amazon.com) when I am desperate for a DVD that I can't find anywhere else in person.

I just don't have the means to buy online. Asides, I prefer the thrill when you find a hard-to-find DVD in a store.

Only Disneystore.com and Amazon.com

I picked Amazon.com, mainly because when I annually make a huge order of books, I include a few DVDs also.

US

I can't think of any. I'm just so thankful that it exists! :D
"I'm a damsel. I'm in distress. I can handle this. Have a nice day!"

My DVD Lists
[url=http://royal_highness.livejournal.com/]Natalie's Journal[/url]
Brink!
Limited Issue

Post by Brink! »

Luke wrote: From its very first incarnations, it's been 2 1/2 years. At the UltimateDisney.com domain, it's been about 6 months, and before that at Angelfire, there was maybe another 6 months of decent traffic. We were really growing earlier in the year, but we've seemed to have petered out around 800-900 total visitors a day.
Certainly, there are thousands of people who would find a site like this useful, and I try to add worthwhile content and frequent updates to keep them coming back. But it's a struggle.
Thanks for the support. Just watched 20,000 Leagues and some of the extras over the weekend. Haven't even touched the 90-minute making-of documentary yet, though. Looks really fabulous and if true, it's a shame that they'd be discontinuing their Vault Disney/"SE" line.
whow that long well you did a great job and i agree this site can be very usefull it has been to me so far and i have just been here a very short while
about 20.00 leagues i've gone trough all the extra's (exept the audiocommentary ) and loved it all
but what do you mean that they'd be discontinuing their Vault Disney/"SE" line? I thought with apple dumpling gang and the wich mountain films coming they were going on for a while
lord knows there is enough left in their vaults :cry:
(Mary Poppins)

"Pull the lever, kronk.
- WRONG LEVER !
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Brink! wrote:whow that long well you did a great job and i agree this site can be very usefull it has been to me so far and i have just been here a very short while
about 20.00 leagues i've gone trough all the extra's (exept the audiocommentary ) and loved it all
but what do you mean that they'd be discontinuing their Vault Disney/"SE" line? I thought with apple dumpling gang and the wich mountain films coming they were going on for a while
lord knows there is enough left in their vaults :cry:
Someone posted in the General Discussion forum that Apple Dumpling and the two Witch Mountain movies would be pared-down to one disc releases from the fully-loaded 2-disc sets that were compiled. Hopefully, it's not true.
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

Luke, I'd be happy to give you some feedback.

Rarely anymore, especially since Best Buy usually has very competitive pricing on New Releases. Unless I have an online coupon or gift certificate I stay away from online purchases.

See above. In the beginning I purchased probably 75% online. Now it's almost never.

I assume you mean online e-tailers?
I have used Buy.com, Amazon, Columbia House, Best Buy.com and eBay.

If I have to purchase online Amazon is the one I trust the most.

U.S.

I just found the site a few days ago so I'm still feeling my way around. My initial reaction is that I like the look and feel you have and I truly appreciate the information you have gathered for all of us Disney enthusiasts.
Brink!
Limited Issue

Post by Brink! »

Luke wrote:Someone posted in the General Discussion forum that Apple Dumpling and the two Witch Mountain movies would be pared-down to one disc releases from the fully-loaded 2-disc sets that were compiled. Hopefully, it's not true.
i hope they don't do that i for one will not be buying em than
let's hope and pray it is only a rumour!!
(Mary Poppins)

"Pull the lever, kronk.
- WRONG LEVER !
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

the disney site still shows it as a 2 disc
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

MickeyMouseboy wrote:the disney site still shows it as a 2 disc
What Disney site specifies that they're 2 discs?
Alec Eiffel

Post by Alec Eiffel »

I've only bought 3 in 3 years.

Best Buy has very good prices and there is something about buying it in person that I prefer.

I've used Amazon the few times I have bought online.

U.S.

I think thst this is a very good site. I have learned a lot of news here for the first time. Thanks.