STAR WARS 30th Anniversary - The Complete Saga on DVD?

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

TM2-Megatron wrote:
Barbossa wrote:They should release The Star Wars Holiday Special as a bonus disc. :roll: I can't get enough of Lumpy, Crusty, Itchy, Snotty, Smelly, Scratchy, or whatever the wookies were called. :roll: :lol:
I doubt this will ever see the light of day on a legal DVD release, as Lucas is too embarrassed by it. It's just a pity he doesn't have the good sense to be equally shamed by the prequels.
I actually rather enjoy it. I watch it every year, and it is mostly terrible, but that's what makes it so enjoyable. It is just plain bizarre! Would love to get it on DVD in proper picture and sound quality. I mean, people know about it anyway, so they might as well throw it in as an extra. Have Leonard Maltin apologize beforehand if it makes Lucas feel better, ha.

As for the prequels, they are a far cry from the holiday special. :roll: Give me a break.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

slave2moonlight wrote:Yeah, maybe the Han/Jabba meeting was a bit too friendly, but if you want to talk about flaws in the films, why did Vader have to become more machine then man when they had cloning technology? At any point he could have easily replaced organs, body parts, skin, whatever. Heck, they even should have had the technology to put his brain into a clone, since the bo'marr monks were just brains in jars. I know that the comic sequels aren't canon, but even in those, the Emperor returned by putting his soul into a clone in Dark Empire, and he had plenty more ready to go. Maybe the Emperor wanted to have more control over Vader, but one would think Vader could have figured this plan out on his own at some point. Sorry, I just realized this recently and it bothers me, ha. Still love the saga though.
Fair enough, but the SW films aren't the best place for logic. I mean, to me, a blaster would be a heck of a better choice than a lightsaber, and speederbikes would probably be much better seat belts. But the Jabba thing just goes against character, much like Han shooting in self-defense as opposed to him just being a rough smuggler who would easily dispatch a weak bounty hunter to temporarily deal with the problem. It's what makes his choice to come back and fight against the Death Star even better. Stepping on Jabba's tail right after he sent an armed bounty hunter to track you down is like jiggling Don Corleone's cheeks while telling him you'll eventually pay him back. It's just stupid.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

It may be a bit stupid, but I don't think it's out of character. I think it shows a burst of confidence Han received when he thought his debt was as good as paid by the job he had just landed. Didn't he even say he'd be able to pay him a little extra, if I remember correctly? I think he felt his new money situation was giving him a little leeway. I also see earlier episode Jabbas as younger and a bit more leniant than the overgrown Episode 6 Jabba who was half mad with paranoia and power.
TM2-Megatron
Anniversary Edition

Post by TM2-Megatron »

slave2moonlight wrote:As for the prequels, they are a far cry from the holiday special. :roll: Give me a break.
No, they're not as bad. At the very least, they have ludicrously high production values. But a good chunk of the writing from the prequels (especially for the "romance" scenes) is no better than that of the Holiday Special.

Also, if the effects are anything to go by, there's still something to be said for actual models in some types of shots as opposed to CG. Whatever Lucas may claim, CG is still far too obvious and fake-looking to use as much as he did.

From the way he talks, I'm sure he'd like nothing better than to replace the actors themselves with CG models, and eliminate those pesky, real people from interfering with his "creative" vision, lol.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

TM2-Megatron wrote: Also, if the effects are anything to go by, there's still something to be said for actual models in some types of shots as opposed to CG. Whatever Lucas may claim, CG is still far too obvious and fake-looking to use as much as he did.

From the way he talks, I'm sure he'd like nothing better than to replace the actors themselves with CG models, and eliminate those pesky, real people from interfering with his "creative" vision, lol.
That's the biggest problem with CGI. It's always used too much, to the point where it looks unrealistic. Look at the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, and take an average sci-fi flick from now. Which looks better? Probably the first, even though it's already fourteen years old.

And replace actors with cg-models? That would be easy, all they have to do is act 'faster and more intense' :D.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

KubrickFan wrote:
TM2-Megatron wrote: Also, if the effects are anything to go by, there's still something to be said for actual models in some types of shots as opposed to CG. Whatever Lucas may claim, CG is still far too obvious and fake-looking to use as much as he did.

That's the biggest problem with CGI. It's always used too much, to the point where it looks unrealistic. Look at the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, and take an average sci-fi flick from now. Which looks better? Probably the first, even though it's already fourteen years old.

And replace actors with cg-models? That would be easy, all they have to do is act 'faster and more intense' :D.
Dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, Transformers in Transformers... Those are some pretty good uses of CGI. The prequels did have some good CGI and some bad. It felt like all the CGI ruined the "lived in" feel of the originals. The sets, etc... gave the actors more to work with in the originals, in my opinion.

Look at the added CGI to the Special Editions. It really stands out, and not in a good way.

Not saying the prequels were terrible, but using less CGI might have helped them.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Well, I mostly agree about the CGI, and especially that it takes away the lived in feel of the classics. I always have said that the prequels and the classics will never truly match because of all the CGI in the prequels, despite all the additions to the originals (the most irritating being the new stuff in Jabba's Palace). I think it's tolerable in everything but horror films though. I can suspend disbelief with CGI, but I can't really find it scary, and they use it in horror films like crazy! It especially stinks because I'm partial to classic moster type horror, like werewolves and ghosts, and while they have been making more of those than they used to, they ruin them with weak CGI.
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

I hated the explanation for Hayden's young Anakin appearance "he's the age he was before he turned". I feel it was disrespectful to Sebastian Shaw who died at least 12 years ago (at least 10 years before the DVD Box set in 2004). I would love to see a few deleted scenes added back to the OT (if you watch the special limited edition ROTJ (theatrical) and the Special Edition, there's a scene where Luke and Wedge hug. Then in ANH: SE there's that scene of Luke seeing Biggs in the hangar before the Battle of Yavin, that was added back in, along with meeting that pilot that knew Anakin Skywalker.

I hear there's a scene in ROTJ with a sandstorm (and it shows the ships parked somewhere - The Falcon & Luke's X-Wing. I don't see why they couldn't put that scene back in.

I can't see an Ultimate Box yet, but I would like the Padme's family deleted scenes from AOTC put back in. The funeral scene in ROTS makes no sense if you don't know those were her parents, sister and nieces.
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

The only reason I can think of that the delete scenes will probably never be put back in, is they are probably unfinished, or just didn't work.

However I would like to see them featured as bonus material sometime.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

slave2moonlight wrote:Yeah, maybe the Han/Jabba meeting was a bit too friendly, but if you want to talk about flaws in the films, why did Vader have to become more machine then man when they had cloning technology? At any point he could have easily replaced organs, body parts, skin, whatever. Heck, they even should have had the technology to put his brain into a clone, since the bo'marr monks were just brains in jars. I know that the comic sequels aren't canon, but even in those, the Emperor returned by putting his soul into a clone in Dark Empire, and he had plenty more ready to go. Maybe the Emperor wanted to have more control over Vader, but one would think Vader could have figured this plan out on his own at some point. Sorry, I just realized this recently and it bothers me, ha. Still love the saga though.
I look at the Vader in the suit the same way the Emperor created Darth Maul. He took Maul as a child and tourtured him mentally, breaking him down and building him back up again as a fierce Sith Lord. Even his full body tattoo could be looked it as a pain he endured to become the hate filled warrior we saw in Episode 1. Notice that when Anakin became a cyborg, there was no drugs used to dull the pain, it was endured fully. It was like a rite of passage. Also, the lack of organic hands made it impossible for Vader to use force lightning.

Also, just a comment to all the CGI statements and the prequels, there was a ton of models used in the prequels, mixed with CG. Check out the books sometime and I think you'll be suprised as how many models were actually utilized for those films.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

DVD Box Set update:

Saga Box Set:
- Lucasfilm is waiting to see who wins: HD DVD or Blue Ray.
- The box set will have around 100 hours of documentaries about the 6 films. (wow, we are shooting for a hundred of everything at this point...sweet!)

Source: TheForce.net

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/stor ... 109774.asp