Teaser trailer for Pixar's Wall•e

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Well, no signs of any stupid global warming(which doesn't exist) messages, which is a good sign. Hopefully, the film will remain that way too.

To an extent, I agree with the UKers(mostly with Netty's little jab at Nemo of course) that perhaps the introduction was little forced(and the line "In the summer of 1994, there was a lunch" has got to get the record for the corniest line ever said in animation history) but I'm still interested in how the film turns out, which is what a teaser is suppose to do. It's doing a FAR greater job than that pale and unfunny Ratatouille teaser did.

That said, the film is still uncertain(and if there are any global warming messages, all respect I have for Pixar will be lost) it's almost impossible to tell from 1 minute of footage, and I still have to wonder, why can't Pixar just wait until the DVD/Blu-Ray release of Ratatouille to show this teaser? We all saw it was rather pointless to have the Ratatouille teaser at the beginning of Cars when they later showed it on the DVD, as well as many other films, that I've literally lost count, and didn't show anything new until 9 months later.

Despite this though, I'm interested in this film much more than Enchanted, Frog Princess and all the other upcoming projects currently planned for WDFA combined. After all, it's about robots, how much cooler can you get?
Last edited by Timon/Pumbaa fan on Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

its true, the beginning of this teaser really wanst necessary. I would have prefered more footage of Wall•e himself. but if anyone has bragging rights its pixar. and it was done tastfully I might add. much better than when dreamworks constantly throws out the fact that they made shrek with every new movie they advertise now.

from the creators of shrek! from the creative tallent that brought you shrek! enough with shrek already. we get it. you made one film that was a hit. get over yourselves.

pixar on the other hand has a nearly flawless track record. with the only exception being (arguably) cars. but when it comes to small drops in a winning streak, that one drop barely puts a dent in their massive reputation.

thats one of the reasons their bragging isn't really necessary anymore though. they have more than gotten word out about their company. its a household name. still, I always get a kick out of seeing anything toy story related on screen. pixar does bragging with style.
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

2099net wrote:
But I'm rendered almost speechless by that trailer/teaser/whatever. Nobody likes arrogance, and to me, that looks like arrogance. I'm all for blurb like "From the makers of Cars" or whatever.

But having people actually talking about a creative meeting and how great it was (and I'll argue about Finding Nemo being great until the cows come home) and thus, implicating this film will be wonderful too shows Pixar are loosing the plot and believing their own hype.
I just don't understand your reasoning. It has nothing to do with arrogance. It's talking about a meeting, where they came up with ideas that became the films we know, and ends with the fact that "the story of a robot" was the last of those ideas from that meeting. They make mention of Joe Ranft, and leave it to the viewer to see that he was a great influence on these films. Then, they cut to WALL-E. To me, they are acknowledging Joe Ranft, his contribution, the lunch meeting that they had, showing the previous films that came out of that meeting, and showing us the fruits of their work. It has NOTHING to do with arrogance.

Pixar isn't "losing the plot, and buying into the hype". They don't have it in them to do that. They know how to make great films, with wonderful characters, rich details, and heartwarming tales. They haven't made a bad film, in my opinion.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

2099net wrote:Well, I have to agree with Ichabod to a great extent. Regular readers here will know I was becoming disenchented with Pixar's films (but I'll admit I may have been wrong about Ratatouille which does actually appeal to me).

But I'm rendered almost speechless by that trailer/teaser/whatever. Nobody likes arrogance, and to me, that looks like arrogance. I'm all for blurb like "From the makers of Cars" or whatever.

But having people actually talking about a creative meeting and how great it was (and I'll argue about Finding Nemo being great until the cows come home) and thus, implicating this film will be wonderful too shows Pixar are loosing the plot and believing their own hype.

How many trailers/teasers have actually shown Steven Spielberg talking about his film(s)? None. And he's arguably the greatest filmmaker alive today.
argueably yes. If we pretend he never made Always, 1941 and War of the Worlds

As for this teaser, I see some serious similairities between what Pixar is doing here and what Walt Disney did while he was still around. Walt was pretty self-congratulatory about his work too.
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

Here is a link that shows the model of Wall-E, as well as the first poster. Enjoy!

http://jvpixarnews.blogspot.com/2007/05 ... all-e.html

Here is a picture of the poster:

By the way, global warming does, in fact, exist. Only the uneducated believe otherwise.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

PatrickvD wrote:
2099net wrote:How many trailers/teasers have actually shown Steven Spielberg talking about his film(s)? None. And he's arguably the greatest filmmaker alive today.
argueably yes. If we pretend he never made Always, 1941 and War of the Worlds
Aww, I liked Always.

Anyways, saw the trailer, and the beginning does come off as a bit too backpatting, as if that one lunch was the most important one Pixar ever had (well, it is important, otherwise we wouldn't have my beloved Nemo, but I digress). But honestly, I don't see how it would viably work in a teaser trailer. I mean, they want to sell us to seeing the film, not give us Pixar History 101.

That said, I'm still on the fence about why they did it. After all, it is a great acknowledgement of how close the Pixar family is, how they've been together for so many years and establish that kind of professional and personal rapport. But at the same time, it seems to be very "Hey look at us! We came up with these awesome movies over a lunch 13 years ago!" I can see the idea working for something like the beginning of a documentary or a short EPK, but not a movie teaser or trailer. It just seems too out of place.
Justin wrote:I still have to wonder, why can't Pixar just wait until the DVD/Blu-Ray release of Ratatouille to show this teaser? We all saw it was rather pointless to have the Ratatouille teaser at the beginning of Cars when they later showed it on the DVD, as well as many other films, that I've literally lost count, and didn't show anything new until 9 months later.
Well, as evident by every past Pixar film, it gets people talking and wondering and speculating what the movie's really about, just based on X-amount of footage. Word-of-mouth is one of the most effective types of campaigns out there.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

PatrickvD wrote:argueably yes. If we pretend he never made Always, 1941 and War of the Worlds
Netty wasn't claiming Spielberg has a perfect track record. He was just saying he's an incredibly successful film director/producer who's andindustry favorite and audience favorite like Pixar, and that he never goes as far as to brag about his huge success as Pixar is doing. Why, Munich is much like Wall-E in that Spielberg wanted to make that film ever since he finished filming Jaws. But he didn't go as far as release a teaser explaining he had a passion for making this movie, but pushed the concept for 3 decades for various other ideas, and that he has finally made it and is releasing it now(we'll ignore the fact Munich was absolutely terrible). It has also been a dream of his ever since he went into filmmaking to make an Abraham Lincoln bio-epic, so when it comes out, it's doubtful he'll release a teaser about him bragging about his whole career and that one of his life-long goals is finally coming true.
As for this teaser, I see some serious similairities between what Pixar is doing here and what Walt Disney did while he was still around. Walt was pretty self-congratulatory about his work too.
I don't see the similarities at all. Just watch any of his advertisements, he almost never references his older work unless it has an obvious connection(such as mentioning Pluto when talking about Lady and the Tramp) if there was anyone doing it, it was always someone else. He was focused on the project he was doing next and was about "moving forward" and not looking back at the past(though still loving nostalgia). So no, I don't think Walt's advertising is at all similar to Pixar's bragging. To be honest, I think it would've been more effective if they had someone else talk about the film who isn't a staff member at Pixar. Maybe Fred Willard or Ben Burtt.

MadonnasManOne wrote:By the way, global warming does, in fact, exist. Only the uneducated believe otherwise.
If you were to stretch the term "global warming" as thin as any phrase possibly could, then yeah, global warming is happening is happening in some places(I.E. places like Nepal have had the coldest and harshest winter they've EVER had in their recorded history). But even THAT is almost impossible to claim as true as they've had more balanced weather patterns in recent years than they had in the 90's.

But the real subject of global warming I'm talking about are the idiots who claim

1. Global Warming is a dangerous risk that's going to have terrible effects for our future.

2. We responsible for it and we and in that we can(and have "responsibility) to fix it.

Any one who agrees with those two claims are completely stupid or just simply haven't done their homework.

While not too much is said on "Wall-E" if there are any messages of that of any sort, it'll be irresponsible and shameful on Pixar's part.
Escapay wrote:Well, as evident by every past Pixar film, it gets people talking and wondering and speculating what the movie's really about, just based on X-amount of footage. Word-of-mouth is one of the most effective types of campaigns out there.

The only people really talking about those 1 minute teasers when Pixar releases them are die-hard Disney and/or Pixar fans like us, and we already knew about it and are already planning to see it whether or not a teaser is going to be on there. The general public isn't "talking and wondering and speculating what the movie's really about". They're too busy anticipating every other movie that's coming out in between that gap to really care. While you're completely right word-of-mouth is among the the most effecitve advertisement campaigns out there, the campaign doesn't happen with the audience until within a couple weeks of the film's release or even not until the film has been out for a while(unless your name is on the lines of Star Wars, Harry Potter, Spider-Man, Pirates of the Caribbean etc.) you really don't need a whole year to advertise your film, so I really don't know why Pixar insists on advertising teasers a whole year in before-hand. 6 months is really enough.
Last edited by Timon/Pumbaa fan on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

Timon/Pumbaa fan wrote:
MadonnasManOne wrote:By the way, global warming does, in fact, exist. Only the uneducated believe otherwise.
If you were to stretch the term "global warming" as thin as any phrase possibly could, then yeah, global warming is happening is happening in some places(I.E. places like Nepal have had the coldest and harshest winter they've EVER had in their recorded history). But even THAT is almost impossible to claim as true as they've had more balanced weather patterns in recent years than they had in the 90's.

But the real subject of global warming I'm talking about are the idiots who claim

1. Global Warming is a dangerous risk that's going to have terrible effects for our future.

2. We responsible for it and we and in that we can(and have "responsibility) to fix it.

Any one who agrees with those two claims are completely stupid or just simply haven't done their homework.

While not too much is said on "Wall-E" if there are any messages of that of any sort, it'll be irresponsible and shameful on Pixar's part.

The two points that you claim are completely stupid, are, in fact, very valid. There are people in this world called scientists. These scientists have spent decades researching this issue. Why is it that the average temperature of Earth continues to increase? Why is it that glaciers are melting at an increasingly rapid pace? Why are species that live in cold climates now dying, and/or moving to try to find colder climates? Because the earth is warming. Because of greenhouse gasses. Because each of us leaves a carbon "footprint". We continue to use up the resources of the Earth, and the waste is causing it to become warmer. In fact, here is a link to a report about a recent study that came out regarding how climate change, brought on by greenhouse gasses, is affecting the Southern Ocean carbon sink.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 051507.php

It is also our responsibility to prevent this from continuing. We must do what we can reasonably do, to help fix the problem. To contribute to the solution. These scientists, and the decades of research they have done, are not just coming out of their behinds. If you, or anyone else, want to ignore the truth, that's fine. While it may not end up causing the demise of Earth during our time, if nothing is done, it will eventually be the demise of Earth. Instead of turning a blind eye to it, we should educate ourselves to the facts, and do what we can to help.

In my opinion, if WALL-E were to have a message about global warming, and the implications of it, it would NOT be socially irresponsible or shameful on Pixar's part. It would be a great way to draw attention to a very real issue facing our world. I know you do not agree, but, there are facts all around us, that tell of this very REAL issue. I choose not to ignore those facts.
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

Post by Disneyfreak1990 »

not their best teaser. :( i would've liked it if it had gags like the old ones did.
and MadonnasManOne scientists have also said that global warming has been in history before, probably the dinosaurs, and they're saying that we should actually be worrying about the next ice age. and don't ask me where i read it since it was a year ago i read it.
members i like:Jasmine1022, Lazario(when he's in a good mood), Escapy, Prudence, Blackcauldron85, Anthony, and Mason Ireton.
Members i dislike: Lazario(when he's in a bad mood).
yoda_four
Special Edition

Post by yoda_four »

Timon/Pumbaa fan wrote:

Wow, I too am going to have to chime in here, because this is complete bogus. For one, only idiot America continues to call what is actually "climate change", "global warming". Not everywhere is going to get hotter. Climate patterns are going to change dramatically and radicalize more than even before. Some places will get wetter, some will get dryer, some will get colder.

The science is in. I simply do not understand how anyone can disbelieve thousands of scientists. This is their job, to study the world, and you cannot simply choose to ignore their life's work just because you don't believe it will happen. People have been studying this since the late 60's and 70's. Maybe I'm just optimistic, but it would be nice if people learnt to listen to the experts in this world, especially after they've spent decades researching the issues, and coming to real conclusions.

It simply has to do with industrialization and the effect it's had on our planet. And we need to fix that, otherwise there will be bad effects. I'm not talking rapture here, obviously. Any climate change effects will take place over many years. However, it's a slippery slope. Ice caps melt, sea levels rise, rain patterns change, the Amazon dries up, Amazon burns and the emissions speed up climate change. Basically, if the worst happens, in 100 years time, the ice caps and the Amazon will be history. Not to mention the effect this change will take on the poor and refugees around the world, or the millions of animals and plant species sharing the Earth with us.

Would you please do some simple Googling yourself, and wake up to the reality of life. This is not a personal attack; it's an attack against stupidity and ignorance. /rant

-------------------------------------

I also disagree with the notion that Pixar is boasting with this trailer. I think it's an inspiring and touching jot of history, and lets the audience know how important this film is to the studio. I personally thought the opening intro thing was super cool, but maybe that's just the fanboy in me talking.

As for the trailer itself, it's somewhat similar to Pixar's traditional teasers. Tell the audience very little about plot, but get them excited about it. Sure, it's not like the TS2, Nemo, Incredibles, or MI teasers, with their original animation and script specific to the trailer, but it's similar. Actually, it's quite akin to the teaser for A Bug's Life. All of these you can see on Pixar's site btw.

Who knows, maybe they didn't have enough time or resources to put into the teaser, and simply grabbed some completed shots, and added in the cool intro...?
My Blog

- Paul
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I don't think, despite others protests, that there is any precedent for a trailer (or teaser if you like) of this nature. After all, the bulk of the teaser isn't people talking about the upcoming film, its them talking about their past films. Not in a audience grabbing tag-line kind of way (such as "From the Creators of Finding Nemo and Cars", which is perfectly acceptable) but in a show the film makers kind of way. It's dangerously close to one of those self-contractually 20 minute HBO fluff pieces on the so-called "making" of a film (Which always show the making of the film was just people handing each other compliments all day, each and every day, and everyone working on the film was "an ideal choice").

I've scratched my limited knowledge of trailers past and present and there's only a few that I can think of that comes close to this for sheer audacity – Hitchcock's Trailer for Psycho. But at least while that let Hitchcock swan around in front of the camera and playing up his popular public image, he was actually telling the audience something (quite a lot, in fact) about the film he was promoting, rather than patting himself on the back about his past successes. The others I can think of are from a similar time and are for the William Castle movies with inevitably came with a gimmick (such as the floating skeleton for House on Haunted Hill, or the electrical buzzers in the seats for The Tingler), but without checking I'm not 100% sure William Castle did feature in the trailers, and again, even if he did, at least he was giving information on the upcoming film and its gimmick, not those from his past.

Filmmakers will inevitably talk up their past successes if asked. That's why we see it so often on chat shows, television specials and DVD special features. But even in these contexts, you rarely see the filmmakers discussing their past successes without prompting. Have Tom Cruise on to promote War of the Worlds and he's hardly likely to talk about what he did on the Mission: Impossible films. Likewise directors like Robert Wise, Billy Wilder, Oliver Stone, Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese… some of the greatest directors of the past 50 years… don't have trailers overtly concentrating on past glories to the expense of their new project.

As many know, I'm not convinced Pixar are "all that". They've never made a bad film. But on the other hand - in my opinion – they've not made that many great films either. Apart from Monsters, Inc, my favourite film, none of the others I prefer (or are interested in) come from that Café dinner. (The others being The Incredibles and I'm much more interested in Ratatouille than any other new Pixar film – including The Incredibles – for a long time).

In fact, if all of those films were conceived at the same time I have a very serious question to ask Pixar – Why did you come up with 3 films that were basically "buddy movies" at the same dinner? Did you actually not notice then how similar they were likely to be? Are Mike and Sully that different to Buzz and Woody? Is Sully's faux-parental concern for Boo that different to Marlin's for Nemo? Are Buzz's delusions that different from Dory's forgetfulness? Are the Toy's adventures in the uncharted outside world that different to Marlin and Dory's in the uncharted oceans? Is Sid from Toy Story that different from Darla from Finding Nemo? While the outlines provided at the dinner may not have been that detailed, did nobody question the similarities of these three basic ideas?

To me, its not much of a boast to come up with 5 films in one dinner, if 3 are just variations on the same theme. :rolleyes:
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Daisy Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Daisy Duck »

I really liked this first teaser trailer. I disagree that it was arrogant to include the other films in this trailer. I think it was a nice way for Pixar to pay tribute to the late Joe Ranft, this being the last film to be made that he helped to dream up. Besides, Pixar has a right to take pride in their previous films-they've earned it--and it does helps audiences recognize who the makers of this new film are.
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

Daisy Duck wrote:I really liked this first teaser trailer. I disagree that it was arrogant to include the other films in this trailer. I think it was a nice way for Pixar to pay tribute to the late Joe Ranft, this being the last film to be made that he helped to dream up. Besides, Pixar has a right to take pride in their previous films-they've earned it--and it does helps audiences recognize who the makers of this new film are.
Thank you! At least there are some people that aren't going off the deep end about the meaning of a teaser trailer. I can't understand why it is so hard for some people to accept something at face value? To me, this teaser trailer is very effective. It has gotten the word out about the upcoming film, without really giving anything away, and caused people to talk about it. It's not self-congratulatory, despite what some people might think. It's making people aware of the origin of the film, giving just a bit of history.

However, if some people insist that this teaser is boasting, then so be it. Pixar has a right to be proud of their films. They make great films, that appeal to a broad range of people, from the very young to the very old. In my opinion, Pixar has made very classic films, that hold up well, no matter how many times you watch them, and no matter how long ago they were made.
nordic

Post by nordic »

Timon/Pumbaa fan wrote:

Well, obviously a lot of people still aren't aware of the importance of global warming, so I'm not sure if a message about it in Wall-E is such a bad idea...

If you want to, you could PM me the homework you've done on the subject. I'm very interested in whatever evidence against the two claims you have.
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

2099net wrote:I don't think, despite others protests, that there is any precedent for a trailer (or teaser if you like) of this nature.
Ahm: Aladdin's original trailer, The Little Mermaid's, Enchanted. All Disney, all of them pat themselves on the back. Only difference is you don't see their backs during the clips from various films. Their "boasting" was entirely alike, and like Pixar, they did so with good reason.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Timon/Pumbaa fan wrote:But the real subject of global warming I'm talking about are the idiots who claim

actually, I don't wanna spoil WALL-E's storyline for you, but if that is what you believe, you are gonna HATE the film.

without giving too much away, it takes place in 2700 after mankind has turned the earth into a floating pile of overheated trash, where life as we knew it has become impossible.

as to what has happened to us humans.... well that is where it gets REALLY controversial.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

I thought the trailer was just perfect. To me, it didn't come of as gloating what so ever, I thought it was a creative way to say "From the people that brought you Toy Story, A Bugs Life, Monsters Inc, and Finding Nemo..." I think the little Wall-E robot is really cute, and the trailer looked even bigger on the big screen last night before "Ratatouille". I can't wait to hear more about this film and it's storyline.
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

That was adorable. I'm definitly anticipating this movie. :)
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

Post by Disneyfreak1990 »

yoda_four wrote:
The science is in. I simply do not understand how anyone can disbelieve thousands of scientists. This is their job, to study the world, and you cannot simply choose to ignore their life's work just because you don't believe it will happen. People have been studying this since the late 60's and 70's. Maybe I'm just optimistic, but it would be nice if people learnt to listen to the experts in this world, especially after they've spent decades researching the issues, and coming to real conclusions.
and yet they've been wrong before about stuff. the scientists would spend years researching an animal and then next thing we know they are wrong about like that so-called extinct fish that was discovered off the coast of africa. then they are wrong about the planets a few times and also history and medicine and diseases. if these are experts i'd hate to see the non-experts. :roll:
members i like:Jasmine1022, Lazario(when he's in a good mood), Escapy, Prudence, Blackcauldron85, Anthony, and Mason Ireton.
Members i dislike: Lazario(when he's in a bad mood).
yoda_four
Special Edition

Post by yoda_four »

Disneyfreak1990 wrote:
yoda_four wrote:
and yet they've been wrong before about stuff. the scientists would spend years researching an animal and then next thing we know they are wrong about like that so-called extinct fish that was discovered off the coast of africa. then they are wrong about the planets a few times and also history and medicine and diseases. if these are experts i'd hate to see the non-experts. :roll:
Obviously you don't understand the scientific method: observation, hypothesis, experimentation, publication, verification, theory. They test, and test, and test, and corroborate, and test some more. With this process, we can decipher our world and ourselves to the best of our abilities. Obviously some hypotheses can be wrong, but we wouldn't know that, nor would we be led to the right answer, unless it was tested in the first place. Science constantly develops and improves, unlike the so-called law that is the "word of god". If you can't grasp this concept, then it's no wonder America is in the state that it is. I'm not one for wasting time on internet bickering, so that's the end of that.

Sorry Luke for the tangent.
Last edited by yoda_four on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog

- Paul