Treasure Planet Appreciation Thread

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Treasure Planet Appreciation Thread

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Well since there is a Black Cauldron Appreciation thread, and we were talking about Treasure Planet in the other thread I was wondering what you guys think about Treasure Planet. I personally think that movie is fabulous! The music is amazingly done, the characters are well developed and I loved that they really stayed true to Robert Louis Stevension story but yet still made the space theme fit in very well! I really hate how this movie never gets any credit! Out of the 41 animated Disney classics I've seen, this comes as #8 for me! What I hate is how this movie is so underrated! I actually think it's way better than the top 2 animated films!(Shrek 2 and Finding Nemo!) What do you think?
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Call me nit-picky, but there are 44 animated classics, not 41. Or have you just not seen three of them yet?

Anyway, I think everyone who's been on this forum long enough knows my opinion on Treasure Planet. And it 'aint pretty! :twisted:
Teede
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Teede »

It could be that they'll make a sequel to Treasure Planet that they're making a sequel to The Great Mouse Detective.
Lightyear
Special Edition

Post by Lightyear »

Teede wrote:It could be that they'll make a sequel to Treasure Planet that they're making a sequel to The Great Mouse Detective.
You are one determined individual!

I thought Treasure Planet was good... I wouldn't rank it up in my top 10 animated movies, but I found it enjoyable none the less.. I'd grade it right down the middle.. Could have been better.. but thank god it wasn't worse.
! !EBAY BOOTLEG'ERS! !
STDVDS : gasconsherri : haasenterprises : helppay4kidscollege : mtandk0614 : zoosed : sniperxray2 : moker04 : dvdtitan : jedsdvds4u : dvd_isle : ander_island : hollabrady : aikon83 : nowentertmt : tell_your_story
chaychay102royal
Anniversary Edition

Post by chaychay102royal »

Teede wrote:It could be that they'll make a sequel to Treasure Planet that they're making a sequel to The Great Mouse Detective.
:lol: rotfl rotfl rotfl :lol:

Oh my gosh, after eleven pages of us telling you that the sequel to GMD isn't happening in the near future... :lol:
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

Personally I thought the movie was good, not great nor bad.

It's a simple story of a boy "growing up" and finding his true self. Filled with interesting characters and cool adventures, it kept me entertained the whole time! However, this movie was one of the movies where I couldn't connect or relate to any of the characters. It reminded me of Peter Pan meets Atlantis. :)
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I absolutely love it. Hands-down the best animated classic since <i>The Lion King</i>. It saddens me that it gets so little credit. :(

I recently found out that Jim Hawkins & B.E.N. are in character form at Disney World, though they are among the ultra-rare and there are rumors that they aren't currently active, though that hasn't been confirmed. I've seen pictures, and it's now my mission to meet them and get an autograph. :twisted:

Great thread- TP is as underrated as The Black Cauldron and, in my opinion, better (although TBC is good too).

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Ah, finally! Well to start things off, I love this movie. I mean, love this movie. John Musker and Ron Clements are true geniuses to be able to take an already fascinating tale, change nearly everything but the characters' names, and mold it into a movie that stays true to the original novel, but at the same time is nothing like the novel at all. Of all the Disney animated classics, this one is in a constant battle with Aladdin as my #1 favorite, and I intend to tell you why.

Story
There's something about Treasure Planet's plot that truly awakens the kid inside of you, a feat that every Disney classic tries to accomplish. We've all wanted to go to outer space or find hidden treasure at one point in our childhood right? Treasure Planet is the thrilling tale of a boy who leaves home with nothing but a pocketfull of dreams (holy crap, that was corny :lol: ), makes some lifelong friends, and learns a valueable lesson about trusting others, himself, and finding a future. The plot never seems to slow down, and offers a few surprising moments. The plot of finding a long lost treasure has been done before, but Treasure Planet tells the story in a way that makes it seem entirely new.
Story: 8 out of 10

Characters and voices
As with any movie, you have your three types of characters: hero and protagonist (Jim Hawkings), Antagonist (John Silver at times and his crew), and comic relief (B.E.N., Dr. Doppler, and Morph). These characters seem to blend in well with the plot and are used well. Any good movie offers chemistry between characters, and Treasure Planet really makes the relationships look real, especially in the father/son relationship between Jim and Silver. More often than not, you really feel for Jim at times (especially during the "I'm Still Here" sequence and in the climax of the film. The voices are spectacular; each actor breathes life into their character effectively. There are some pretty well written lines in the movie, and the actors really say them the way they're meant to be said.
Characters and voices: 8 out of 10

Music
This is not a traditional Disney musical. There are two songs in the movie: "I'm Still Here", which is used as a montage of Jim and Silver's friendship growing, and "Always Know Where You Are", which takes the ending of the movie into the credits. Both songs are excellent and I consider them the most rewatchable parts in the movie. "I'm Still Here" fits Jim's rebellious personality perfectly.
Music: 10 out of 10

Script (I'm getting tired)
What can I say, the script is good, it puts humor, drama, and heart into the places it's needed and while a few of the jokes may be old, they're entertaining.
Script: 8 out of 10

Animation
Beautiful and that's an understatement. The blend between 2D and 3D animation is awe-inspiring and some would say it's the best part of the movie.
Animation: 10 out of 10

Flaws
Let's face it, nothing's perfect, and this is no exception. A list of things I found hurt the film were:
-While Jim isn't the most relatable character, he probably wouldn't appeal to young kids or old people because his story is about finding a future. Kids are too young to worry about that and adults have experienced it.
-There's a fart joke character. I despise fart jokes. Luckily, he's only in the movie for about a minute.

Overall Movie: 8 out of 10
This movie did bad in the box office and I think that's due to it's release time and the fact that the main character is not very relatable. It was released the same time as Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, which doesn't really help it become the #1 movie. If you haven't watched this movie because it did bad in the box office, go see it now. It's not as bad as everyone makes it sound. This is my first review, so I'm not very good at it, but I hope it helped.
- John
chaychay102royal
Anniversary Edition

Post by chaychay102royal »

Great review, Pasta! :up:
gadgetmobile
Limited Issue

Post by gadgetmobile »

I'm glad there are others who like Treasure Planet! I would have loved to have seen this one on the big screen, but it left our local movie theater after a very short run. I love the space shots and the music. While I liked the character Jim, I agree with Pasta's assessment that he does not appeal to children. My children, ages 5 and 9, do not like TP at all and never want to watch it with me.
"Don't shake if you don't mean it." Pacha in The Emperor's New Groove
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Wonderlicious wrote:Call me nit-picky, but there are 44 animated classics, not 41. Or have you just not seen three of them yet?
Yeah I haven't seen 2 of the packaged films yet. I haven't seen Home on The Range yet either.
Sekaino Jasmine
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sekaino Jasmine »

I LOVE everything about Treasure Planet. It's easily my favorite right after Aladdin.

I've never had a crush before and don't expect to in the near future, but Jim is the closest to being one so far...he's not even real! :cry:
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Oh boy; I just got finished posting in the other GMD thread, then I come here and notice this. It's not happening. I'm sorry, but it's just not.

And just to stay on topic, Treasure Planet is awesome.
- John
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

For me I would give the film a 9/10. Not as good as 7 other Disney movies I can think of, I still think this is one of Disney's best movies and one of their most underrated movies.
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

I still think the reason it did bad because of it's timing. If it had been released back in the 90's when Disney got their second wind, I know it would have done better.
- John
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Pasta67 wrote:I still think the reason it did bad because of it's timing. If it had been released back in the 90's when Disney got their second wind, I know it would have done better.
I also think the trailers were weak, they showed hardly any of the story so people had no interest.
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Timon/Pumba fan wrote:I also think the trailers were weak, they showed hardly any of the story so people had no interest.
Yeah, the only thing that I remember from the trailer is when he was air sailing (or whatever it's called).
Since this is in the same topic range, I'd want Treasure Planet to be re-released as a two-disc (one of the main reasons I want one is that I can't stand to look at the single disc's coverart anymore. The characters look terrible!) and get more behind the scenes coverage.
- John
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I thought that Treasure Planet made Treasure Island more popular.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

so do you all think is good enough to watch it?
Because I know the original bok, and it desn´t feel,not even a little, like it to watch it
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Isidour wrote:so do you all think is good enough to watch it?
Because I know the original bok, and it desn´t feel,not even a little, like it to watch it
It is definately worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet.
- John