Mulan Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Mulan Discussion

Post by Farerb »

Upon seeing the trailer, I think they used a pan pipe, which is not really a Chinese instrument or creates Chinese sounds, so I think that might have been an early version and decided to change that. It seems from the trailer that the film wasn't finished yet and that might be true to the score as well.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey Fareb,

Isn't that a GREAT trailer for Little Mermaid!?!?!?!? One of their best!

You know, I tried to match the non-synth version of the score to the film. Doesn't match AT ALL. So I suspect that section of the score (when the synth section was supposed to kick in) belongs to a different part of the movie. I remember in the original soundtrack to BATB they mixed two sections of the score into one track once or twice.

You might be right about the pan flute. But I don't know.... I recall a similar sound being used a lot in the original Karate Kid movies. Maybe it's more Chinese than we think. But you may be right that that was not intended to be the final version. I just always found the synthesizer sound to be an odd inclusion... I don't think it's used in any other part of the film, and it doesn't really scream "ancient China"... it just screams 1980s.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

There are actually five different versions of "Mulan's Decision".

1. The temp version used by the filmmakers for story reels before scoring took place. They used a pre-existing track penned for a '90s film by composer Randy Edelman. That version has never been released to the public. We currently don't know which track was used or from which film it was taken.
2. The temp version used by Disney's marketing department. That's the version you heard in the work-in-progress teaser trailer, the teaser trailer, the theatrical trailer, the home video trailer, the TV spot, and the sneak peek that aired on TV. They used the track Our Ways Will Part written by Hans Zimmer for the film Beyond Rangoon and the track To the Stars written by Randy Edelman for the film Dragonheart.
3. The soundtrack version. This was the version Jerry Goldsmith initially conceived for the sequence, but the filmmakers didn't like it. It's quite different from the version we know. It was changed late in the process that's why it made it on the soundtrack instead of the movie version.
4. The alternate soundtrack version. It features the same melody as the soundtrack version, but with a more traditional string and wind orchestration. It was never officially released, but it found its way on some bootleg CDs.
5. The synthesizer version that made it into the final film. It's named "Short Hair" on the For Your Consideration soundtrack, "Haircut" on the British soundtrack, and "Transformation" on the French one. It's not present on the standard American soundtrack.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Marce82 wrote:In the first trailer I saw for Mulan on the Hercules VHS, there is a version of that music played with some sort of wind instrument (and others).
As I've said my previous post, that track was never used during the making of the film. It was the marketing department's doing. They used music written by Hans Zimmer for a different film for Mulan's early promotional material which is a standard practice in the industry.
Marce82 wrote:You know, I tried to match the non-synth version of the score to the film. Doesn't match AT ALL.
It matches. It's just not as good.
Marce82 wrote:I just always found the synthesizer sound to be an odd inclusion... I don't think it's used in any other part of the film, and it doesn't really scream "ancient China"...
The directors were enamored with the temp track for that sequence which had a driving beat to it, much to the composer's frustration. My guess is the composer decided to integrate a synthesizer sound to re-create the beat the filmmakers were looking for.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

It may be anachronistic and out of place, but I can't imagine that scene without the synthesizer version. It's just more dynamic and dramatic, and elevates the scene into something otherworldly.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Thanks for this information, Sotiris. It's been nice to finally know what the tune that featured on the trailer was called, which I've always wondering about. But the alternate soundtrack version was actually featured in the Storyteller version (13:13 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgn8WviePpQ&t=157s) and the Australian Making off-documentary (5:57 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUMh3si5lxs&t=167s).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mooky wrote:It may be anachronistic and out of place, but I can't imagine that scene without the synthesizer version. It's just more dynamic and dramatic, and elevates the scene into something otherworldly.
Agreed! :thumb:
DisneyFan09 wrote:The alternate soundtrack version was actually featured in the Storyteller version (13:13 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgn8WviePpQ&t=157s) and the Australian Making off-documentary (5:57 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUMh3si5lxs&t=167s).
Thanks for sharing those links! I'm glad that version was at least featured in some official materials. Still, it doesn't explain how bootleggers got a hold of a clean, studio recording of it in full. To my knowledge, it was never included on any official CDs or cassettes for the film.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:Thanks for sharing those links! I'm glad that version was at least featured in some official materials. Still, it doesn't explain how bootleggers got a hold of a clean, studio recording of it in full. To my knowledge, it was never included on any official CDs or cassettes for the film.
To quote the great Maui: You're welcome ;) I remember having the Mulan storyteller on Cassette during the time of Mulan's release (of course the Norwegian version), so I heard it all back then. You know, some people has the tendency to get access to certain properties, regardless of their conditions. Personally, I think the unreleased version it's the best one.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

In the Swedish dubb of Mulan 2 they Changed the voice actor for Le Shang to to the Guy who voiced Puss in Boots in the Shrek series !

The Empores voice was also replaced , but in that case i think the orginal actor was either too old or dead :(

All other Actors retruned even the voice of Grandma Fa( one of the BIGGEST old time Singers in Swedish entermiant history :D)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Mooky wrote:It may be anachronistic and out of place, but I can't imagine that scene without the synthesizer version. It's just more dynamic and dramatic, and elevates the scene into something otherworldly.
I agree. I've stumbled onto other versions of it over the years when I was seeking it out, and the others are just unlistenable to me. It loses all the impact.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Floyd Norman talks about his experience working on Mulan in a new blog entry.
Floyd Norman wrote:I was busily wrapping up my work on Disney’s “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” so I was surprised when my boss called me in with an unexpected assignment. Things had changed at nineties Disney and unlike the balding, overweight producers of a bygone era, Roy Conli was a tall, charming young man who sported an impressive ponytail. He thanked me for my work on the “Hunchback” but informed me I was needed on another production down the street from our headquarters in Glendale. I had heard of the movie tagged with the unfortunate working title, “China Doll.” However, the material was hardly frivolous. Although some might view this story as more legend than fact, the compelling tale detailed the story of a young Chinese woman who goes off to war under the guise of being a man. It was a bold and risky sacrifice since a woman’s role in ancient China would never include the military. Plus, should her gender be revealed, the penalty for such an offense was death. When I had my first meeting, director Barry Cook walked me through the film story and recommended I acquaint myself with Chinese cinema. Doing my best to soak up the unique sensibility of the Chinese action films I sat about building my first sequence.

However, a cold winter was quickly approaching along with a chilly meeting with animation boss, Peter Schneider. Before I could even add anything to the film development, reels were assembled for the presentation. This was standard procedure at Walt Disney Feature Animation. Our animation bosses, Peter, along with Tom Schumacher would have a first look before anything would be shown to the film chairman, Jeffrey Katzenberg. After all, if things weren’t working in the development process why waste Jeffrey’s time? When pitch day finally arrived, we all gathered in the large conference room in the production building. Not a scrap of my work was in the presentation and I can take comfort in that because Peter hated it all. I can still hear his voice as he railed against everything he had been shown. Never at a loss for words, Peter Schneider tore through the presentation in his own inimitable style. He punctuated his critique with, “I hate it! Hate it! Hate it!”

Bruised and battered, the development team returned to their cubicles to weep silently. In spite of all this, an intrepid group of story artists, led by Chris Sanders headed for a nearby conference room. Who were these young guys, and why were they so determined to turn things around? You might take note of their names because in time, all of them became directors of their own films. They were, Chris Sanders, Dean DeBlois, Chris Williams and John Sanford. Another member of our story team was already a director. His name? Burny Mattinson. I’ll not forget that cold December day when we considered the complete overhaul of the film we now called, “The Legend of Mulan.” Dumping the earlier story work and tedious exposition, we began building a new “Beat Board,” and giving the film a sharper focus. No head of story position had been assigned, but the formidable, Chris Sanders was already doing the job. We killed off lovable characters that didn’t work and invented new ones that did. Early in the next year, the battered Disney movie had been refocused and reinvigorated. Plus, a valuable new member was added to the “Mulan” team. Talented animator, Tony Bancroft joined the movie as co-director.

As with any animated motion picture a good measure of clever ideas don’t make the cut. Of course, there are solid reasons material is cut from a film and any story artist worth his or her salt is well aware of this. However, I’d like to share a funny sequence I storyboarded. As you already know, Mulan has enlisted in the Chinese army disguised as a man. While marching to battle, the troops set up camp for the night and the soldiers each share a tent. Mulan’s tent mate happens to be a handsome young soldier named, Shang who encourages the rookie to undress and get a good nights sleep. You can see where this is going. The funny sequence plays like a Billy Wilder movie with a fair share of sexual tension. However, this was a Disney movie and I was well aware just how far I could go. The awkward situation accelerates until the tent eventually collapses on the guy and the girl. As expected, the sequence ends with a laugh. We had some innocent fun, yet never crossed the line. I honestly think I could have sold this sequence to Walt.

Yet, there’s so much more to tell. There was the loss of our composer, Stephen Schwartz to the fledgling competitor, DreamWorks. The first pass of Mulan’s decision to leave home, storyboarded brilliantly by Dean DeBlois. How many board artists can nail it the first time out? Finally, the majestic score by film composer, Jerry Goldsmith. In time, “Mulan” moved to the Disney animation studio in Orlando, and I moved on to other assignments. The movie exceeded expectations and will continue to live on in Disney’s new live-action iteration. I’ve no problem with this because I see nothing wrong with a retelling of a classic story. Looking back, “Mulan” remains one of my favorite Disney films. It was a delight working with producer, Pam Coats and my talented directors, Barry Cook and Tony Bancroft. At the risk of overdoing it, I’ll say it again. You brought honor to us all.
Source: http://floydnormancom.squarespace.com/b ... china-doll
Disney's Divinity

The tent scene sounds a great deal like the lake scene with all the other soldiers in the film. :lol:

I went to Sanders' Wikipedia page, and was surprised to find out he didn't write and direct the How To Train Your Dragon sequels, although he was Executive Producer. That explains a lot. I read he was initially supposed to be a part of The Croods sequel, too, but I guess during the time it was cancelled and then revived, he's not involved anymore. Shame.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

One thing i love about the movie , is that it not only breaks female stereotypes with Mulan being a warrior , but also more subtle male ones with Mushu being very flamboyant and a bit effeminate, It's subtle but i love it and i love Mushu, :) :) :) :)

I like the joke of him teaching Mulan to act like a man despite not beiung super maculine himself :lol: :lol:

The remake willl be MUCH POORER without him !!
:( :(
He was the best part of the orginal movie !! :cry: :cry:
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Mushu is great , i loved him ! :D :D :D

The grandma was freat too !

Those were my favorite two parts of this movie !!
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan97 wrote: I like the joke of him teaching Mulan to act like a man despite not beiung super maculine himself :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I love that part, too. :lol: :lol:

I agree, the remake will be incredibly dire and boring without Mushu. I could get cutting characters like the Gargoyles from Hunchback or Terk & Tantor from Tarzan, for example, if they made remakes of those films (or even Scuttle and Flounder from The Little Mermaid), but I always thought Mushu was a big part of what works in Mulan. *shrug*
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

How ‘Reflection’ from ‘Mulan’ became Christina Aguilera’s big break
https://nypost.com/2020/09/03/how-refle ... big-break/

'Mulan': Disney wanted to cut 'Reflection' from animated movie
https://www.insider.com/disney-wanted-c ... ated-movie

Mulan Gold Open Q&A with Original Animated Cast
https://www.facebook.com/15223839519891 ... 191125561/

Reflect on These 5 Facts about Mulan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qijf1AdDXQ4
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

The original Mulan on 4K Ultra back on schedule!

https://twitter.com/DenOfGeeksNews/stat ... 3594954753
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

That has been expected but I'll wait for a reliable source to confirm this.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Mulan is up for pre order on Best Buy Canda, I'm sure other will be updated as well:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/mu ... 8/M2232553

So I'm guessing they're going to reuse the Blu-ray covers when they release the animated films on 4K. I guess it's fine by me. Better than those awful Revival covers. Though I never understood what that symbol has anything to do with Mulan. Oh well, at least it doesn't have "& Mulan II" on the cover anymore. Good riddance.

The steelbook is fine though it has the same problem as the BatB's steelbook had, which is putting the interesting side of the image under the discs.