Treasure Planet Appreciation Thread

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Treasure Planet Appreciation Thread

Post by Sotiris »

This is the first time I've heard of this. I really wish they went with the original ending now. :( I love the idea of an older Jim and him being a captain like Long John Silver.
John Ripa wrote:At one point on Treasure Planet the movie was going to end with Jim older and a captain of his own ship. This is a sketch I did, at the time, exploring that idea.
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BshWK3JhQWR/

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, I always assumed he was an army captain of his own ship at the end, too. Still, I do prefer this design of an adult Jim to the one seen at the end of the finished film.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

John Ripa wrote:Old sketch for the maquette of Jim on Treasure Planet.
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtlYx26hISK/

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtlYx26hISK/

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Well, I always assumed he was an army captain of his own ship at the end, too. Still, I do prefer this design of an adult Jim to the one seen at the end of the finished film.
This post is a little late, but technically the Jim we see at the end of the film isn't an adult Jim. It's right when he's entered military school as a cadet. He's still a teen at that point.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I grew to like this film lately. In many ways I feel like this was the film that WDFA died with. Since the next two traditionally animated films, Brother Bear and Home on the Range, were careless. Then they started doing CGI. WDFA did have a short revival with Princess and the Frog, but then went back to CGI and ultimately became Pixar 2.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Careless? I get you with home on the range. Brother Bear though I thought had a lot of heart.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Brother Bear had that awful humor with those annoying moose characters and frankly the movie and its music is pretty forgettable. Not nearly as much of a debacle as Home on the Range, but still one of Disney's worst.

Treasure Planet really was Disney's last best 2D film. Winnie the Pooh was a joke and TPATF was just created to fulfill John Lasseter's dream of setting a film in New Orleans and creating a black princess. Not even an African princess for that matter.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I don't begrudge any of the last hand-drawn films' existence. Brother Bear is my least favorite of them, but even it had a decent soundtrack (albeit not as strong as Tarzan's). The moose are actually the only thing I like about the film itself. :lol: I like HOTR's soundtrack and its animation (and most of its characters beyond the cows, too, actually...). I love TP&TF, of course, and more Winnie the Pooh is never a bad thing even if I'll always believe Disney was deliberately sabotaging the medium to become, as farerb so aptly put, PIXAR 2.0.

I love the maquette for Jim. It captures that exuberance in his face that would mostly only come out in moments when the character is alone in the film because the character was often cynical. I've always felt Jim was the closest thing to a male Ariel. I mean, all of the '90s films re-created the whole "I want" song and protagonist that wanted something from a world forbidden by an overbearing patriarchal figure, but Jim is the only one that really taps into the youthfulness and the strong-willed teenager aspect of Ariel, too, imo.

I always loved the maquette for Ursula seen in The Disney Villain, too. It captures everything about that character in one go. How imposing her design is along with that charismatic quality of her mannerisms. I wonder if most Disney characters' figures can be easible found via Google. Those would be interesting to look through.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I feel like Brother Bear was a lazy attempt to return to the Renaissance, as if Phill Collins songs are enough for a film, I mostly found the film dull and the characters uninteresting. Maybe if I had watched it when I was a kid I would have had more fondness towards it.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney's Divinity wrote:I don't begrudge any of the last hand-drawn films' existence. Brother Bear is my least favorite of them, but even it had a decent soundtrack (albeit not as strong as Tarzan's). The moose are actually the only thing I like about the film itself. :lol: I like HOTR's soundtrack and its animation (and most of its characters beyond the cows, too, actually...). I love TP&TF, of course, and more Winnie the Pooh is never a bad thing even if I'll always believe Disney was deliberately sabotaging the medium to become, as farerb so aptly put, PIXAR 2.0.

I love the maquette for Jim. It captures that exuberance in his face that would mostly only come out in moments when the character is alone in the film because the character was often cynical. I've always felt Jim was the closest thing to a male Ariel. I mean, all of the '90s films re-created the whole "I want" song and protagonist that wanted something from a world forbidden by an overbearing patriarchal figure, but Jim is the only one that really taps into the youthfulness and the strong-willed teenager aspect of Ariel, too, imo.

I always loved the maquette for Ursula seen in The Disney Villain, too. It captures everything about that character in one go. How imposing her design is along with that charismatic quality of her mannerisms. I wonder if most Disney characters' figures can be easible found via Google. Those would be interesting to look through.
I'm glad somebody liked the moose after all since they tend to be one of the most panned parts of the film.

I definitely see the Jim-Ariel parallels and I think that's a really popular notion because of how beloved the Ariel-Jim ship is on the Internet. It's one of the most popular Disney ships for a reason (and Melody-Jim has a huge following too).

I adore the maquettes as well. It would be nice if it was easy to find them on Google. If Disney's home video releases were more reliable, we could find them at least on there but that's a pipe dream now.
farerb wrote:I feel like Brother Bear was a lazy attempt to return to the Renaissance, as if Phill Collins songs are enough for a film, I mostly found the film dull and the characters uninteresting. Maybe if I had watched it when I was a kid I would have had more fondness towards it.
I think the film was referred to as a return to The Lion King in production but clearly it was anything but. The Phil Collins songs turned out to be uninspired as well, which didn't help.

I did watch it as a kid and there's no feelings of nostalgia towards it. Maybe in the next few years, we'll see a following for it, but I doubt it. Out of the 2000s films, the biggest fan followings are for Atlantis and Treasure Planet now and they're still very niche.
ImageImage
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

I love Brother Bear much more than TP.

Stunning animation, at least 3 great songs.. and there is so much heart and memorable moments! :up:
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I too prefer Brother Bear to Treasure Planet, I never understood why so many people dislike it. Yes, the moose can be a bit overbearing, but the story makes me emotional and weepy, and the songs are pretty good. And I usually hate annoying children characters, but Koda is super adorable and I think they did a good job in portraying the sulky teen/hyperactive younger sibling dynamic. I assume the issues may also stem from the way the movie deals with Kenai's realization he killed Koda's mother, and Koda's quick acceptance of it? Like, maybe people feel the film glanced it over?

I also rewatched Treasure Planet recently. I always liked it, but I really enjoyed it this time. It's so terribly underrated, much like most Disney films from 2000-2004. But it also got me thinking, that the visual style they used and their approach to adapting "Treasure Island in Space" worked against the film. Like, the film is obviously visually very original and memorable for not going for the futuristic spaceships / spaceports look, but it also poses the question of why not just do a traditional take on the source material. Especially because some of the alien designs weren't really all that inventive.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Mooky wrote:I too prefer Brother Bear to Treasure Planet, I never understood why so many people dislike it. Yes, the moose can be a bit overbearing, but the story makes me emotional and weepy, and the songs are pretty good. And I usually hate annoying children characters, but Koda is super adorable and I think they did a good job in portraying the sulky teen/hyperactive younger sibling dynamic. I assume the issues may also stem from the way the movie deals with Kenai's realization he killed Koda's mother, and Koda's quick acceptance of it? Like, maybe people feel the film glanced it over?

I also rewatched Treasure Planet recently. I always liked it, but I really enjoyed it this time. It's so terribly underrated, much like most Disney films from 2000-2004. But it also got me thinking, that the visual style they used and their approach to adapting "Treasure Island in Space" worked against the film. Like, the film is obviously visually very original and memorable for not going for the futuristic spaceships / spaceports look, but it also poses the question of why not just do a traditional take on the source material. Especially because some of the alien designs weren't really all that inventive.
I've heard a lot of people complain about the fact that the scene where Kenai admits that he killed Koda isn't given any dialogue. The fact that we only see the scene with music over it takes away from the impact of the admission which irked some people.

I'm assuming they felt that a traditional Treasure Island story wouldn't be very eye-catching or interesting for audiences since it's been adapted so many times. Even Disney has adapted the film various times, between the 1950 live-action film that Walt made and then the Muppets version. They probably felt a fresh take would be appreciated more by audiences.
ImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

John Ripa wrote:At one point on Treasure Planet the movie was going to end with Jim older and a captain of his own ship. This is a sketch I did, at the time, exploring that idea.

You know what? The storybook for Treasure Planet actually implied this ending, so I don't find it strange that it was originally going to be the actual ending. But yeah, it's a pity. And Jim looked sexy in that drawing.

Now that this thread has become an official discussion of the last hand drawn films of the Post-Renaissance era, I find Treasure Planet to be my favorite of them. I'll probably repeat myself, so I won't elaborate on my opinion of the film. Other than it's a very good movie, actually. Brother Bear certainly feels like old school Disney and certainly could've been a film from the Renaissance (not coincidential, since it was marketed as them). Yet it's hampered by several flaws that makes it less compelling (preachy, too heavy-handed, dramatically uneven).
As for the issue of Kenai killing Koda's mother, it's always been one of my issues of the film and I'm surprised that it haven't been as debated as until recently. Yet another issue with it that Kenai deliberately harasses an innocent bear for a reason that was his fault to begin with and the bear never even kills his brother (which would've resonated Kenai's avenging more).
As for Home on the Range, I haven't seen it in a long time, but I remember liking it and never thought that it deserved as much of hate that it did. I never went gaga for it, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Lilo & Stitch is certainly the one stuck with the biggest fanbase, due to it being the lone behemoth. Alongside with The Emperor's New Groove. But despite knowing the small fanbase for Treasure Planet, Atlantis' fanbase isn't as huge. Brother Bear has it's fanbase, though, due to that there is a certain fondness for it, due to the aforementioned reasons to like it.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

It's possible they also changed the ending because they were planning the TV series. The TV series would segway straight from the ending of the film so that would make more sense. Ideally, they'd be able to use the original ending for the finale of the series, but unfortunately, we never got it.

I need to rewatch Brother Bear so I can see if it has aged well for me or not. Same with Home on the Range. That was the only other film, besides Treasure Planet, that I skipped in theaters. I remember finding the yodeling amusing but nothing else really stood out to me. I'm not sure I'll be able to stomach Roseanne Barr for too long though or Cuba Gooding Jr.'s annoying horse character.

Atlantis has a very niche fanbase if you can even call it that. It's labeled as a cult film which might be more of an appropriate term. I've honestly never seen a fanbase for Brother Bear. It seems forgotten since it isn't as maligned as Home on the Range and Chicken Little.
ImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I've heard a lot of people complain about the fact that the scene where Kenai admits that he killed Koda isn't given any dialogue. The fact that we only see the scene with music over it takes away from the impact of the admission which irked some people.
Oh, I can understand that and agree to a point. But I still think having the song instead of the conversation worked rather nicely. By having Kenai say it's a story "about a monster" and showing Koda being visibly upset, it eliminated the need for exposition as we (the audience) already saw what happened and I think it made it more emotional than any dialogue would. Plus, it's a really good song.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I'm assuming they felt that a traditional Treasure Island story wouldn't be very eye-catching or interesting for audiences since it's been adapted so many times. Even Disney has adapted the film various times, between the 1950 live-action film that Walt made and then the Muppets version. They probably felt a fresh take would be appreciated more by audiences.
Yes, I guess that's true. I also read the pirate genre was basically dying out in the 1980s and 1990s, and I suppose this was Disney's way of injecting some new blood into it. Audiences weren't receptive to it for some reason though, which makes PotC's subsequent success rather surprising.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Was that drawing made by Glen Keane? it looks pretty good.

And yeah, this film is very underrated. Half the time I don't really get the criticisms people aim at it. "Jim is nothing but an Aladdin rip-off!" "The setting is weird" "The female characters don't do anything" (they also don't do anything in Lion King, but nobody complains about that)...Just seem like people pull excuses to not give it a chance tbh.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Mooky wrote: Oh, I can understand that and agree to a point. But I still think having the song instead of the conversation worked rather nicely. By having Kenai say it's a story "about a monster" and showing Koda being visibly upset, it eliminated the need for exposition as we (the audience) already saw what happened and I think it made it more emotional than any dialogue would. Plus, it's a really good song.

Yes, I guess that's true. I also read the pirate genre was basically dying out in the 1980s and 1990s, and I suppose this was Disney's way of injecting some new blood into it. Audiences weren't receptive to it for some reason though, which makes PotC's subsequent success rather surprising.
I actually didn't mind the song sequence myself. I have the same views towards it as you do, which is that we don't really need a rehash of something we've already seen and that seeing just the visuals is convincing enough. For some reason, lots of people weren't convinced by this though. Maybe they feel cheated because of how quickly Koda is won over by Kenai again afterwards.

Ironically enough, if Treasure Planet had kept its original 2003 summer release date, it may have actually been able to win the same audiences as POTC. A pity it was moved up.
thedisneyspirit wrote: And yeah, this film is very underrated. Half the time I don't really get the criticisms people aim at it. "Jim is nothing but an Aladdin rip-off!" "The setting is weird" "The female characters don't do anything" (they also don't do anything in Lion King, but nobody complains about that)...Just seem like people pull excuses to not give it a chance tbh.
I would have liked more of Jim's mother but narrative-wise, there's really no way to include her anymore than in the scenes she's already in. Even in her few scenes, I think she makes a lasting enough impression. I always liked Amelia's character even if she is taken out of action towards the end. But that made sense considering she's the most capable member of the ragtag team.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Look who is doing meet 'n greets at WDW:

PHOTOS, VIDEO: Jim Hawkins from “Treasure Planet” Greets Guests at Walt Disney World https://wdwnt.com/?p=249388
Disney's Divinity

Aw, cute.