Disneyland - Sydney, Australia ?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Yeah, I think that is what she was talking about. I think Tiger Island was the name of the Discovery Channel special on it and not the actual name of the Island. They had a white tiger and a bunch of tiger cubs that they were trying to sort of domesticate so they could mingle with the guests.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Tony wrote: That's funny... We are going as well for both the Disneyland AND our anniversary which is on October 29...

We have found two hotels that we like the look of in Anaheim, but I hope some cheaper airfares come out as it gets closer as otherwise our budget will be stretched !
Heh.... our whole thing might plough into the ground any day now :(

Still working out the details, but it looks like the dream is over.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Tony- travel agent, huh? I always thought that sounded like fun. How did you like it?

Escapay - Disneyland Mars :lol: That actually sort of excites me, though! That's probably the only way you'd ever get me in outer space. :P

Back on Earth, though... Disneyland Australia? Hmm. Another Disney park always excites me, but I have my doubts. Loomis mentioned Australia's population, and with Hong Kong having a DL park open, the pool of potential Asian guests is somewhat limited. I think it's main attraction (besides the obvious residents of the continent) would be people who were already visiting Australia and decided to include it in their vacation. I've always wanted to go Australia too- and that would be just the thing to give me that extra push. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Stateside, I'm wondering if Disney is still consider another park here? I think if we have room for any more, it's 1 max, and even that gives me doubts. The two coasts seem to have no problem travelling up to 20 hours to visit their respective Disney resorts, and there aren't enough people in the middle of the country to support one. I remember when I was younger, Disney was scoping Myrtle Beach, SC and Virginia Beach, VA as possible locations for a new park but ended up deciding they were too close to FL. As much as I would have loved for them to have put on in either of those locations, the truth is that I think they were wise is not doing so.

The other problem is that Disney doesn't seem to be capable of building a decent park these days. From what I understand, DSaDLP and DCA are lackluster, as is the upcoming HKDL. I would hate to see Australia or any other location get shafted in quality when compared to WDW, DL, or DLP.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

DCA - is a couple of rings below lackluster.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

awallaceunc wrote:Tony- travel agent, huh? I always thought that sounded like fun. How did you like it?

Escapay - Disneyland Mars :lol: That actually sort of excites me, though! That's probably the only way you'd ever get me in outer space. :P

Back on Earth, though... Disneyland Australia? Hmm. Another Disney park always excites me, but I have my doubts. Loomis mentioned Australia's population, and with Hong Kong having a DL park open, the pool of potential Asian guests is somewhat limited. I think it's main attraction (besides the obvious residents of the continent) would be people who were already visiting Australia and decided to include it in their vacation. I've always wanted to go Australia too- and that would be just the thing to give me that extra push. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Stateside, I'm wondering if Disney is still consider another park here? I think if we have room for any more, it's 1 max, and even that gives me doubts. The two coasts seem to have no problem travelling up to 20 hours to visit their respective Disney resorts, and there aren't enough people in the middle of the country to support one. I remember when I was younger, Disney was scoping Myrtle Beach, SC and Virginia Beach, VA as possible locations for a new park but ended up deciding they were too close to FL. As much as I would have loved for them to have put on in either of those locations, the truth is that I think they were wise is not doing so.

The other problem is that Disney doesn't seem to be capable of building a decent park these days. From what I understand, DSaDLP and DCA are lackluster, as is the upcoming HKDL. I would hate to see Australia or any other location get shafted in quality when compared to WDW, DL, or DLP.

-Aaron

Well Aaron, the travel industry was good up until the early 90's recession.. After that the benefits dried up year by year and the salary didn't get any higher to compensate. It can still be good for people under 25 or over 50, but not the in-between ages unless you are lucky. That's my thoughts on the industry in Australia anyway.

Re Australia's population - I'm sure Disney would not waste their time looking at this market for a theme park if they thought our low population was a major stumbling block. Our population may be low, but our tourist numbers are always rising. Also, the existing Tokyo park is even closer to Hong Kong than we are and we have hundreds of millions of people living in-between Hong Kong and Australia on our doorstep in Indonesia etc. A lot of Asians like to experience true "Western culture" here in Australia. Disney will only add to that. Three Disney parks in this region of the World will easily be able to be supported. You should see the number of tourist coaches outside our existing theme parks.. It's certainly not just locals that are supporting them.

Re the quality of new parks - Yes, this is a problem, but gee I'd rather have a park that may not quite by as good as the older ones, than to make the expensive 14 hour flight to L.A... Hopefully once Eisner is gone, the company "may" get their act together.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Thanks, Tony. I don't doubt that, like you say, Disney thinks Australia's population (resident and tourist) is enough to support the park. My fear was just that they might be wrong about that- and it wouldn't be the first time. Of course you know a great deal more about Australia's tourism scene and a lot of my doubts have been eased now, especially with the Western taste that some of Asia apparently turns to you guys before. I sure hope you're right about the quality of the parks picking up!

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Mr. Toad wrote:DCA - is a couple of rings below lackluster.
And the Walt Disney Studios is a couple more below that (tho it has potential).
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

A popular Australian morning news/chat program is currently in Disneyland this week covering the beginning of the 50th birthday celebrations.

The presenters had an interview with Julie Andrews yesterday (and replayed today) at California Adventure. At the end of the interview, when they were saying "goodbye" to Julie and hoping she would visit Australia in the future.... She replied saying a visit "may be sooner than you think" !....

Hmm... could this be Julie's way of hinting that she may know something more definite about a Sydney park than we do ?... It is not like she has any new movies coming out to be doing International promotional visits for.. (at least that I'm aware of)..

Certainly later in the year (after Hong Kong opens), a visit by Julie to Australia to co-incide with an official announcement of a Sydney park opening wouldn't be out of the question... hmmmmm...

She is doing a new 40th anniversary DVD next month for the Sound of Music, but I doubt she would be coming just to promote that..

I guess time will tell later in the year after Hong Kong opens..
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

My Sister just told me that last night on the news they showed the 50th anniversary special, and the head of Disney said they were thinking it might be time to bring Disneyland Down under!!

I think an announcement is definitely on it's way later this year if all goes well !
Melly
Limited Issue

Post by Melly »

Oh Tony, I SO have my fingers crossed for this! My husband said he also saw on the new last night (TEN I think) that Disney were talking about a Sydney park again.

I didn't see Julie tell the Sunrise guys "May be sooner then you think", I don't know how I missed that since I've been watching Sunrise every day this week and saw the interview - might have been embarrassed a bit by Kochie fawning over her :oops: Anyway, I'm hoping you're right, my husband has already come to terms with us practically being a one-income family if and when DL Sydney opens and I beg for a job there :D
James
Anniversary Edition

Post by James »

Go Disneyland Sydney! I heard that they would be using the Wonderland site for it - saw an article on it in the Daily Telegraph. I would love to have a Disneyland in Sydney. I would probably be the first customer :lol:

Anyway, I'll post some more stuff later I have Disney TV to watch!
James
Anniversary Edition

Post by James »

Omg! :o
So it wasn't only me who saw Sunrise this week!
I was so going to post a topic on it asking if anyone saw the Julie Andrews interview, but after I just posted I re-read the topic and I saw it

What day does everyone think was the best? I think Thursday

By the way, thank you so much to the wonderful person who deactivated (not sure if right word) my topic that I started on the wrong page! :oops:

AND Can someone please post on it? It was my first ever post on this website and I someone doesn't if think I'll be heartbroken.
Here's the site - http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... php?t=8899

James
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

awallaceunc wrote: I think it's main attraction (besides the obvious residents of the continent) would be people who were already visiting Australia and decided to include it in their vacation. I've always wanted to go Australia too- and that would be just the thing to give me that extra push. It will be interesting to see how this develops.
Yeah, because there is nothing like visiting a foreign country to see all the things you have at home :P
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

The Momentum for a Sydney or Gold Coast park continues in Australia...

Magical Mountain reports about new rumors that Australia’s State Development Department is conducting a study to determine possible sites that would make a suitable home for a Disney park/resort. See link below and then scroll down.

http://www.magicalmountain.net/WDWNewsD ... NewsID=878

We will still have to wait until later in the year (after Hong Kong Disneyland opens) for official news.
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

nice, one more Disney park :)

but what´s next? Antatic-Disney? :lol:
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney-Fan »

If you ask me Disney theme parks are no longer special. I mean, we've got five alread (two in Asia). How much more can you build before every person in the world has experienced Mad Hatter's Tea Party? Soon it won't be a unique thing to fly off to a Disney park.
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

Escapay wrote:I wouldn't mind a Disneyland Sydney. I still wonder, though, what would've happened if they did that Disney theme park in Virginia?
Wow, I had totally forgotten about that! I still wonder if that was a good idea to begin with, or if people were just too uptight for their own good.

Anyway, I hate being plopped down halfway inbetween California and Florida. . . when are they gonna build a Disneyland Chicago? :wink: :lol: But seriously, it would be so awesome to be in easy driving distance of one of the parks.
Raydawggie
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Raydawggie »

Cool. More Disney is always a good thing.
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

Hey, what if they were to open up more parks in the US, kinda like Six Flags has? Would it ease the congestion of the existing parks? Make it more affordable for families to attend, thus create more paying customers? Or would they see it as competeing with themselves?
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney-Fan »

Sunset Girl, it just isn't possible to maintain a Disney park and to ease on the numbers. To build rides with theming and to have top notch service requires a lot of money, thus the need for a lot of paying costumers.