The Lion King Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

The_Iceflash wrote:It's simple, it's easily one of Disney's most popular and beloved films. Some choose to dislike it to not conform to popular opinion and to seperate themselves from other Disney fans by having a more unique and original opinion.
And some people just think it's a bad film that's way overrated.
zackiellovedisney
Gold Classic Collection

Post by zackiellovedisney »

Goliath wrote:
The_Iceflash wrote:It's simple, it's easily one of Disney's most popular and beloved films. Some choose to dislike it to not conform to popular opinion and to seperate themselves from other Disney fans by having a more unique and original opinion.
And some people just think it's a bad film that's way overrated.
I personally think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you don't like it and think it is overrated that is your own opinion. If you think it is a great great movie that is also your own opinion
Babaloo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Babaloo »

Hey guys! I'm sorry if this has been posted somewhere, but I doubt it...

My brother is in high school and in his media studies class they watched the Lion King and have questions to answer. He asked me questions and I could answer most of them, but I couldn't answer a couple. Don't make fun of me if they're obvious :P... They got to pick a character from the movie and answer questions related to them:

1) What accents/dialects do Timon and Pumbaa have?

2) What ethnic groups would Timon and Pumbaa be classified under?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

1. Brooklyn, probably.

2. Not sure.

3. Obviously, the questions are of the "make sure they're paying attention" variety. :roll:
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Timon seems Jewish to me, with a Brooklyn accent. But Pumbaa? I honestly don't know. :?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Considering Nathan Lane and Ernie Sabella are both notable Broadway actors, I would guess Brooklyn as well.

And ethnic group? I always thought of them as a meerkat and warthog. :lol: I guess white, considering their voice actors. But, I've never looked at the Lion King characters as particular ethnic groups.
Babaloo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Babaloo »

Thanks guys for the answers! By brother says thank you too! (now he actually likes UD :P)
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Babaloo wrote:1) What accents/dialects do Timon and Pumbaa have?
What's funny is that, in the Dutch dub, they have Flemish (Belgian) accents. All the other characters talk 'standard' Dutch, just Timon & Pumbaa talk Flemish.

In the last years, it has become common to make an all-Flemish dub, besides the Dutch dub, of a new Disney-movie, but back when TLK came out, films released in The Netherlands and Belgium would use the same 'standard' Dutch dub. That's why Timon & Pumbaa talking Flemish was so unique at the time and came as a surprise to so many people.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Definetly one of my favourite Disney movies. It has great music, a great plotline, and it's simply phenomonal. Touching and relatable. The scene with Mufasa's death always makes me cry.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Just watched Lion King 2 for the first time in donkey's years, I still love it, just as much as the original. It has great songs like We Are One and Love Will Find A Way, ok it has a few stinkers like Upendi but overall it's great. I'd love to see a Lion King 3, a proper sequel and not a Timon/Pumbaa pre/midquel. Has anyone read the "Six New Adventures" book? What do you think happened to Kopa? Personally I think that the producers weren't planning a sequel when they did the Lion King and to work with the story they just changed it to a girl instead of what looks like a boy at the end of LK1, no Zira killed him conspiracies here :wink:
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

I found this today on a blog I frequently visit.
Movies In A Minute: The Lion King
I can't decide which part is my favorite. :P
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

^ :lol: Loved that! They have one for Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid as well.
Sadako

Post by Sadako »

Scarred4life wrote:^ :lol: Loved that! They have one for Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid as well.
Hi! That's actually my blog that I write. I noticed that I got some hits from this site from it, so I ended up registering here. Glad you liked it, and thank you to you, Sky Syndrome, for posting it. Really made my day!
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

^Oh, well welcome to the forum! And as I said before, I love your work.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Sadako wrote:
Scarred4life wrote:^ :lol: Loved that! They have one for Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid as well.
Hi! That's actually my blog that I write. I noticed that I got some hits from this site from it, so I ended up registering here. Glad you liked it, and thank you to you, Sky Syndrome, for posting it. Really made my day!
Hi! You're quite welcome and thank you for writing the Movies in a Minute posts. Are you going to do Beauty and the Beast considering Disney is re-releasing it in October?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ANQjMOnQhmI?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ANQjMOnQhmI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Wow! Who would have thought a Chipmunk version of that song would be so pretty (minus the Timon and Pumbaa parts)?
Sadako

Post by Sadako »

I'm actually working on Beauty and the Beast. I have a soft spot for the Disney ones from the 90s because that's when I was a little kid.

Though I've also been working on a Peter Pan one. If you have any suggestions for Disney movies that would make good blog posts, do let me know! It's always nice to have help with ideas.
avonleastories95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by avonleastories95 »

Sadako wrote: If you have any suggestions for Disney movies that would make good blog posts, do let me know! It's always nice to have help with ideas.
Here are some suggestions for your blog.
Music of the Heart
Pocahontas
101 Dalmatians
Sister Act
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken
Hercules
Cinderella
and The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Last edited by avonleastories95 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

And The Hunchback of Notre Dame!
avonleastories95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by avonleastories95 »

Scarred4life wrote:And The Hunchback of Notre Dame!
\
Yes, The Hunchback of Notre Dame! That was also a very spectacular movie!
Sadako

Post by Sadako »

Sweet, thanks! I'll add those to the list of blog posts to work on! :)