The Lion King Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm sorry avonleastories and Sadako...

But the blog is about pop culture. Popular culture. Some of those movies just aren't popular and would not work. Films like Peter Pan and Cinderella are apart of our popular culture. But not all of those.
Sadako

Post by Sadako »

Well, I probably won't use all of them. But some of them look good--it's a nice start at any rate.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

I think you can write about whatever you want, Sadako. It is your blog after all. :P Write about lemonade. Lemonade is popular. And in our culture. Plus, it's lemonade. Lots can be said.

BTW, welcome to UD!

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Sadako

Post by Sadako »

Thanks! :) It's nice to be here.
nilyvn

Post by nilyvn »

The production of The Lion King, originally titled King of the Jungle, took place at Walt Disney Feature Animation in Glendale, California, and at the Feature Animation satellite studio at Disney-MGM Studios in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
The Lion King became the highest grossing motion picture of 1994 worldwide, and the second highest in the USA (behind Forrest Gump).
Thanks.
Disney Duster

Re: The Lion King Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

I was thinking about this film lately and I was wondering:

You know how Rafiki says that Simba should learn from his mistakes? Is that supposed to be the message of the film? But the way the story goes, shouldn't the message really be "If you make a mistake, own up to it and apologize and good people will forgive you"?

And too bad that's not exactly what happens, because no one backs Simba up, and then everything's better when Simba and everyone finds out Simba didn't really make the mistake in the first place.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, Nala expressed her concerned for Simba when he slided down the cliff. Otherwise, the film never really elaborates of what Simba's causing Mufasa's death actually meant. He was blamed for his death by Scar,but did it mean that he was accused for killing Mufasa? There was an discussion about this on Imdb; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110357/boa ... 078930?p=1, but we could all assume that it meant that Simba (unwillingly) caused the stampede by his roar. But even then, I guess the elaboration on that subject would've been too disturbing and adult for a kids movie.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Well, Nala expressed her concerned for Simba when he slided down the cliff. Otherwise, the film never really elaborates of what Simba's causing Mufasa's death actually meant. He was blamed for his death by Scar,but did it mean that he was accused for killing Mufasa? There was an discussion about this on Imdb; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110357/boa ... 078930?p=1, but we could all assume that it meant that Simba (unwillingly) caused the stampede by his roar. But even then, I guess the elaboration on that subject would've been too disturbing and adult for a kids movie.
Well, yea, I thought it was always understood Simba never killed Mufasa on purpose but by accident because of his roar. I always thought the film was saying that was the case, and I don't see why it would be more disturbing when it was saying all along, "he thought he accidentally killed his dad with the roar."
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Disney Duster wrote:
DisneyFan09 wrote:Well, Nala expressed her concerned for Simba when he slided down the cliff. Otherwise, the film never really elaborates of what Simba's causing Mufasa's death actually meant. He was blamed for his death by Scar,but did it mean that he was accused for killing Mufasa? There was an discussion about this on Imdb; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110357/boa ... 078930?p=1, but we could all assume that it meant that Simba (unwillingly) caused the stampede by his roar. But even then, I guess the elaboration on that subject would've been too disturbing and adult for a kids movie.
Well, yea, I thought it was always understood Simba never killed Mufasa on purpose but by accident because of his roar. I always thought the film was saying that was the case, and I don't see why it would be more disturbing when it was saying all along, "he thought he accidentally killed his dad with the roar."
Simba saw it as an accident, but I don't think it's "I accidentally killed my dad" as much as "this situation that happened accidentally killed my dad".

Like, if a father and son were walking in the rain, and the dad got struck by a car, I don't think the child would feel at fault for directly hurting the parent. I do think the child would feel immense guilt for the situation happening at all (i.e., "We shouldn't have walked home"), and I think that is what Simba felt.

However, Scar was manipulating those feelings so that Simba feared that he himself directly killed Mufasa because of this "bizarre, unexpected" (from Simba's eyes, anyway) stampede. A variant of survivors guilt, if you will, if the survivor was told "Oh yeah, this horrible event was caused BY YOU!"

Coupled with the trauma of //having just seen his own father die in front of him//, and yeah, I think we can cook up some deep psychological analysis here.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I see. Yea, I agree. But then the lesson of the film still should have been, "own up to your mistakes and good people will forgive you", and then every good lion on Pride Rock should have forgiven him and then of course Simba should have realized he never made a mistake in the first place because he never caused his father's death at all.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Warm Regards wrote: Like, if a father and son were walking in the rain, and the dad got struck by a car, I don't think the child would feel at fault for directly hurting the parent. I do think the child would feel immense guilt for the situation happening at all (i.e., "We shouldn't have walked home"), and I think that is what Simba felt.
A better example would be—A son is stranded on the side of the road in the rain and asks his father to come pick him up. The father dies in a car wreck on the way to pick the son up because the road is slick. ie, The fact that your father was in the situation that caused him to die was because he was trying to help you.

What Rafiki means when he tells Simba to learn from mistakes is that he should stop being a coward that runs away.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That is a better example.

As for what Rafiki said, I still think he should have said what I feel is the real message, and that the film should have taught that message. Or, if they wanted to do "learn from your mistakes" or "don't be a coward", actually say that's what the message is an teach it. Yes, Simba does prove not to be a coward, but that doesn't seem to be the film's taught message.
Disney's Divinity

What Rafiki says is that you can either run from the past or learn from it. The reason "owning up to your mistakes" isn't the message is because Simba did not make a mistake since he did not cause Mufasa's death. The message is about not running away from the past/responsibility. Essentially everything is fixed because Simba stopped running away.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So then you're saying he was running away from something he didn't have to run away from. Because, as you said, he never made a mistake. So the message of the film is, "Don't run away from...?????"
Disney's Divinity

Me wrote:The message is about not running away from the past/responsibility.
Disney Duster wrote:So the message of the film is, "Don't run away from...?????"
Me, Just Now wrote:?????
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Me wrote:The message is about not running away from the past/responsibility.
Disney Duster wrote:So the message of the film is, "Don't run away from...?????"
Me, Just Now wrote:?????
You cheeky duck. :P

But yes. Simba learned that he shouldn't have ran away, no matter how afraid of possibly being accused for Mufasa's death he was. That his responsibility from birth was to Pride Rock, and that running away only exacerbated a bad situation.

Plus he learned that "no worries" is a bad way to go about life, because no matter who we are we have obligations to fulfill.

"No worries" is being hedonistic and lazy, and being lazy is being a coward because you're not putting any effort into your duties that others may be relying on you to do.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am choosing to no longer further this conversation so as not to hurt the film and it's fans. I just was saying Simba was running from something he didn't do which left a confusing message. If you disagree, that's great.
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heil Donald Duck »

Watched the movie again yesterday felt no emotion when Mufasa died, its the higlight of the movie. Yet I always blame Mufasa for his own death it was error judgment climbing those rocks.
Der Fuehrer's Face is the greatest Donald Duck cartoon ever made.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok, Heil Donald Duck, well I re-watched the part where Mufassa saves Simba and starts climbing the rocks. I guess he should have just stayed on the lower rocks until the stampede was over to stay alive? Hm. Never thought of that. But feeling no emotion for him is sad. I usually feel a little something just thinking of Simba going to him after he dies. I never knew it was considered the highlight of the film, though. My guess would be the highlight is when Mufassa's ghost appears.

Watching the clip reminded me what a good movie it was though.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The Lion King sing-along coming to Disney’s El Capitan Theatre
http://thedisneyblog.com/2017/06/27/lio ... n-theatre/