Florida

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Florida

Post by castleinthesky »

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if you all could keep your thoughts and prayers with the people of Florida tonight and the next few days.

Hurricane Frances is even stronger than Charley. 3 Tropical storms in 1 month! The eye is supposedly going to hit only 40 miles north of my home! :cry:

Please keep us Floridians in your prayers! Thanks!
Jungleprince_55
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jungleprince_55 »

I Have To Leave Because Of The Hurricane And I Am Bringing Most Of My DVDs And Some of My Favorite Disney Stuff,I Hope Nothing Happens To Our House Because We Have A Lot Of Expensive Stuff And My Dad Is Not Coming,My Grandpa Is Going To Also Stay With Him. :(
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

Jungleprince_55 wrote:I Have To Leave Because Of The Hurricane And I Am Bringing Most Of My DVDs And Some of My Favorite Disney Stuff,I Hope Nothing Happens To Our House Because We Have A Lot Of Expensive Stuff And My Dad Is Not Coming,My Grandpa Is Going To Also Stay With Him. :(
Where do you live? I live in Port St. Lucie.
Jungleprince_55
Gold Classic Collection

No,But Close.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

I live in Homestead (right next to Miami) so there's a ton of buzz all around about Frances. I have absolutely no clue if the schools in my area will be closed for the next 2 days. For some reason I'm not worried, maybe because we haven't had a real hurricane since Andrew in 1992 (I say real because we've had some mini ones that were really no more than just very windy thunderstorms). Prayers for everyone here would be appreciated, though.
Jungleprince_55
Gold Classic Collection

School here is Closed.
snowbot
Gold Classic Collection

Post by snowbot »

yeah, i live in jacksonville (northeast florida) and there's a good chance it will land near us. that would suck! we had a hurricane once in 1964 (hurricane dora) and the beatles played here a couple of days later. they talk about it in the beatles anthology book.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I'll definitely pray for all the Floridians and that region of the Atlantic. I have family down there as well. They are even talking about evacuating us here, as it's set to go right through us (Gaston just left, but it was only a mild tropical storm by the time it got here). The weather folks say they should know much more about the course it will take tomorrow.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

I just realized that Disney World may be closed for the first time ever. :o
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

castleinthesky wrote:I just realized that Disney World may be closed for the first time ever. :o
Disney World closed when hurricane Charlie moved towards Orland.
Jungleprince_55 wrote:School here is Closed.
Woah, schools are already closhed? Frances might not arrive in ? above Florida until Saturday morning.

I'll be busy monitoring the emergency shortwave radio frequencies. I am an emergency volunteer operator. If anyone has a shortwave radio, you can listen to 14325 KHz USB for some weather reports from the Caribean too.

I'm praying for everyone in the Caribbean too. :(

Here's some information about hurricane Frances:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MI ... 2349.shtml?
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... 2353.shtml?

Hurricane Watch Net Activating for Hurricane Frances
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/08/31/103/?nc=1
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

Starion wrote:
castleinthesky wrote:I just realized that Disney World may be closed for the first time ever. :o
Disney World closed when hurricane Charlie moved towards Orland.
Jungleprince_55 wrote:School here is Closed.
Woah, schools are already closhed? Frances might not arrive in ? above Florida until Saturday morning.

I'll be busy monitoring the emergency shortwave radio frequencies. I am an emergency volunteer operator. If anyone has a shortwave radio, you can listen to 14325 KHz USB for some weather reports from the Caribean too.

I'm praying for everyone in the Caribbean too. :(

Here's some information about hurricane Frances:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MI ... 2349.shtml?
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... 2353.shtml?

Hurricane Watch Net Activating for Hurricane Frances
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/08/31/103/?nc=1
Yeah, but Disney may not open at all on Sat.

Schools are already closed so people can evacuate early and prepare their property.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

castleinthesky wrote:Yeah, but Disney may not open at all on Sat.

Schools are already closed so people can evacuate early and prepare their property.
All of Florida will definitely be in my prayers tonight. We were in Daytona Beach when Charley came, so I know how scary it must be for you all. I hope you and all your families are safe! castleinthesky, my aunt and uncle live in your town!

As far as Disney being closed, my sister worked at MK when Charley came and they just closed early. I think Hurricane Floyd caused WDW to close except Animal Kingdom was open to to WDW resort guests. I know on September 11th, WDW was closed.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

I have family in the Orlando area, and they might be evacuated. Also my girlfriend lives there so them and everyone else will be in my prayers.
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Almost half a million people in Miami were told to evacuate. :shock: That's a lot of people!

According to the National Hurricane Center Public Advisory #33 says:

At 11 PM EDT, 0300 Zulu, the National Hurricane Center has issued a hurricane watch for the Florida East coast from Florida city northward to Flagler Beach including Lake Okeechobee."

A hurricane watch means that hurricane conditions are possible within the watch area, generally withing 36 hours.

I haven't heard of any damage reports from the Caribbean . No news is good newws? I hope so. :)

I remember hurricane Floyd dumping a lot of rain in Washington D.C. I lost power for five days after Isabel came by.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

:x HURRICANES SUCK!!!!! But I too will keep everyone here from my home state in my prayers. I live in Daytona Beach near the river so I know for a fact that tomorrow we are going to be asked to evacuate at 2:00 I only know this since my uncle works for the city. So my mom and me are going North Carlina for the weekend basically. I'll miss everyone in the forum since I more than likley wont be able to check the site our for a few days. I'll be praying for all my fellow Floridians! *U guys r the best*
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

I LIVE IN BOYNTON BEACH, which is smack dab in the middle of Palm Beach County! no one anywhere has water, even Wal-Mart. My college classes are cancelled too! I hope y'all stay safe!
Jungleprince_55
Gold Classic Collection

My Mom Decided Not To Leave But My Dad Is Boarding Up The House.
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

Now we are evacuating to Tennessee. :(
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

One million people in Florida are now being asked to evacuate.

A hurricane warning is now in effect for the east coast of Florda from Florida City northward to Flagler beach including Lake Okeechobee. Expect hurricane condition sin 24 hours.

The middle an upper keys
Jungleprince_55 wrote:My Mom Decided Not To Leave But My Dad Is Boarding Up The House.
Woah, your family is boarding up your house? The thought of a catagory 4 hurricane 400 miles away is scary. I hope everone has time to prepare for the Frances.

The Bahamas will see 8-10 inches of rain and 4-8 feet storm surges. I hate flooding. :(

I heard that the western side of Florida might experience winds of 70 mph.

Take care everyone!
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

I've been thru 2 hurricanes but the house was made of reinforced poured concrete and had two levels (we stayed on the second level with all the stuff moved up while the first level flooded) Don't take a direct hit hurricane lightly, if i was on a mainly wood house i probably wouldnt be in it .. a Hurricane is half as strong as a Tornado, but a tornado lasts for a few minutes on a relatively small area. A hurricane can last for a WHOLE DAY and be EVERYWHERE for miles around. And after the hurricane you might not have water or electricity for days (or weeks) on end.
Be careful all Please.