Florida

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

One of my radio friends who works for the Red Cross went down to South West Florida after Hurricane Chrilie landed. He went between Tampa and Punta Gorda to install satellite phones and help out. He put about 2300 miles on his truck. Thank you for volunteering George! He said that Punta Gorda was devistated. :( I hope the area between Tampa and Naples is ok now.

Oh dear, I think hurricane Frances is starting to affect the weather in the Washington D.C. area. My weather alert radio went off with a coastal flood statement. It seems that the easterly winds from the outer bands or a strong storm associated with Frances may cause high tide to be 1 to 2 feet higher than normal. :shock:

I hope everyone in the Chesepeak Bay and Potomac river will be ok. The areas near the coasts of the bay and river may flood.
disneynerd

Post by disneynerd »

My daughter (Disneyland Resort cast member) and I went to Costco and bought supplies to be sent to Florida. They were soliciting money or supplies and we figured our buck would go farther at Costco. We even bought a case of cat food because we would hope to help cats seperated from their owners. We have cats so it made it more personal. We also have relatives in Tampa and Orlando area, I was born in Key West and my daughter and I are planning to go to WDW in november so we had to do something. Californians freak when they get a little rain so most have no idea what their east coast fellow americans are going through. I've been praying for Florida and hope all ends well. :goofy:
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Hey Starion sorry to bother you but you seem to know a lot about all this crazy weather any word on Hirrican Ivan yet. My mom dosent want to leave North Carolina antill she knows where he is going? *I am ready to go home* Just wondering last I knew it was following Frances path. :(
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I hope that everyone is okay down there...these storms must end NOW!!!!
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

DreamerQ18 wrote:Hey Starion sorry to bother you but you seem to know a lot about all this crazy weather any word on Hirrican Ivan yet.
I think that Ivan might hit the Everglades and the Florida Keys. It's too early too tell. It might follow Charlie's path, but I'm not sure. Daytona Beach could be affected by some flooding and high winds. I wish I could give you and your mom a more definate answer.

Hurricane Ivan is near Trinidad, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, The Grenadies, Gernada and Martinique.

The phones and electricity are still out in West Palm beach. Cell phone doesn't work.

Stay safe.
DreamerQ18 wrote: I hope everyone is fine or at least being safe during this state of Hurricane Emergency. :) Take care everyone and much love.
George? No, Govenor Jeb Bush declaed a State of Emergency for Florida twice in three weeks.

I hope the citrus and torism industry isn't ruined by the two hurricanes.
Jungleprince_55
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jungleprince_55 »

WOOHOO!!!!!

MY POWER IS BACK ON!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Jungleprince_55 wrote:WOOHOO!!!!!

MY POWER IS BACK ON!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
That's great! :thumb: How's the phone service? Are the landlines and celular systems working?
Jungleprince_55
Gold Classic Collection

The Phone Lines Are Still Messed Up,But Most Of The Electicity Is On!,We Were Without Power For Three Days.
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Ok, at least you can store food in the refrigerator and email your friends and family to let them know you are ok. I'm assuming that you are using a cable modem instead of dial-up or DSL.

Some foods can spoil if they are not refrigerated for 24 hours.

Be careful when you walk outside.

Take care
Jungleprince_55
Gold Classic Collection

My Dad had The Generator On To Run The Refrigerators.
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Jungleprince_55 wrote:My Dad had The Generator On To Run The Refrigerators.
That's cool! My dad bought a small portable refrigerator that runs on a battery. Late
Jungleprince_55
Gold Classic Collection

WOOHOO!!!

The Phones Are Back On! :D :D :D
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

I'm still without power, this is so ridiculous!!! It is SO humid!!!This is the end of day four!!!
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

I am going home tomorrow YAY!!! So hopefully when my next posts will be from home. My friend says he went to go check on my house and everything seems fine I might even have power. :D So Happy wanted to share with everyone :) .
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

I'm glad everyone's ok!

I'm feeling Frances's humidity too. I don't like tropical weather. :lol: The air even smells tropical. All I need is a sea breeze to feel that I'm near the ocean. hehe. It's too bad the pools aren't open so everyone can cool off. I think the beaches are still closed.

I feel sad for the people who lost their boats, businesses and homes. :( The wind ripped off lots of roofs. I can't imagine what damage the flooding caused.
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

It's raining in D.C. :)

The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch for my area. It looks like Tropical Depression Frances still has a lot of energy.

Ivan will be near the western coast of Florida in about 5 days. I'm not sure though.

Update:

The heavy rains are gone for now. A rotating storm missed my house by a few miles. o.O NWS even issued a tornado warning for my county. My weather radio went of about five times today. Dag? Tag? Au Jour Dui? Nevermind.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

I just wanted to share with everyone that I am home safe from North Carolina on the way down there were many storms and floods but now that I am here everything here is fine no damage and i have power soI was one of the lucky ones. Thanks again everyone for the latest updates on Frances. (Just wanted to share) :)
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

As you already probably know, I'm home and I've got power. However, if it rains harder and the St. John's overflows, we're probably going to evavuate due to flooding. :evil:
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Just Myself wrote:As you already probably know, I'm home and I've got power. However, if it rains harder and the St. John's overflows, we're probably going to evavuate due to flooding. :evil:
I hate flooding too! My basement got flooded a few years ago. :( Flooding can cause large trees to fall onto buildings and powerlines and make roads impassible.

It looks like Ivan might take a turn towards Naples or Sarasota, Florida.

People in the Key West are urged to evacuate.

The last time three hurricanes hit Florida in a single season was 1964, when Cleo, Dora and Isabel. Hey, Isabel hit Virginia in 2003. :p
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Yes, but Isabel was old and fraile. I was actually at my sister's house in MD when she came over. She was a tired old b*tch. :lol:
Cheers,
JM :thumb: