The Little Mermaid Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

Hm. Yeah why did Triton also have the bracelets? Armor? For a man? But it makes sense to me those wouldn't be left after he became a polyp

Doesn't Ursula have six tentacles? Why would the statue have eight? That statue was from the Walt Disney Classics Collection.

The court kicked Ursula out because she tried to overthrow Triton. They accepted all forms of creatures, from crabs to Cecealias.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Meghan Markle Recalls Comparing Her Royal Life to The Little Mermaid and How Ariel 'Lost Her Voice':
https://people.com/royals/meghan-markle ... e-mermaid/
Meghan Markle wrote:"I was sitting in Nottingham cottage and The Little Mermaid came on," Meghan recalled. "And who as an adult really watches The Little Mermaid but it came on and I was like, 'Well I'm here all the time I might as well watch this,' and I went, 'Oh my God she falls in love with the prince and because of that she loses her voice.' "
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

When she said, “and who as an adult really watches The Little Mermaid” was the one part where she lost me in the whole interview haha.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Same haha.. :D :D
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Somebody give her a cameo in the re-make. :lol: EDIT: Actually, you know, although I meant that in jest, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea. She could play one of Ariel's sisters or one of the maids in Eric's castle. She is acting, apparently, even though I expect she's not great for a big part.

I was reading some article about how Meghan Markle is becoming sort of Rorschach test, where people's reactions towards a subject say more about them than the subject, and I think that's true. Tbh, just going from what I've seen on other forums, I think female characters in general are becoming that. Even over in the KH world, you see misogyny rear its head towards the tiny few female characters there are in that series. I guess that shouldn't be surprising since majority of gamers are straight men though. The world of today is so sick and unbearable to live in.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I've been reading the Disney Princess book and I know it has been mentioned before, but it says that the film does take place at a mediterranean country:
The Disney artists moved the story from the frigid Baltic of Andersen's native Denmark to a warmer, sunnier that suggested the Mediterranean, probably off the coast of southern Italy. Elements in the costumes and building suggest an equally vague time in the late seventeenth or eighteenth century. Musker says, "Rowland Wilson- he's a great draftsman-designed the Prince's palace. He did a drawing that we loved that combined these Mediterranean elements, making it a palace unlike any other Disney fairy tale palace, with the whitewashed stucco. He was really going for a warm southern Mediterranean feel that he thought would be attractive to a mermaid who'd been stuck all her in life in the cold ocean."
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Very cool to know that, but some costumes really suggest the 19th century.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

OMG. Holy crap. Stop the presses. Call off the dogs.

Ok... do you guys remember this video from a while back, where they compare different home video releases, and the differences as time progressed? Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R9d0EA40UM

So, the scene of Daughters of Triton, I recall we couldn't figure out what the change was. Maybe the color of the shells? (specially in the 2006 release)
But ah... I just noticed something: in the 1989-1999 releases... there is a flaw in one frame as the bubble-curtain is drawing away (it goes backwards for the ONE frame and then continues). They clearly photographed the cels in the incorrect order for one frame.
That mistake is fixed for the 2006 release and all the subsequent ones. I suspect that might be IT for that shot.

I don't know if someone else figured this out before... so if they did, I'm sorry for making such a big deal.

On a personal note, I would prefer they left the mistakes IN.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ I saw it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have a good eye- I don't think I would have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out!!
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

That's what I'm here for: pointing out the flaws :-)

I do wish they would leave them in. THe film is what it was in 1989... flaws and all.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Lindsay Ellis - Reevaluating The Little Mermaid before Disney horks up another live action remake:
https://youtu.be/NeuLEu9ZePc
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Thanks for posting this video. It`s been a while since Lindsay`s made something about Disney, so it`s nice to see her doing something Disney-related again. I thought that she was a Ariel-hater, but she made a disclaimer on the opening on her previous Mermaid video that it wasn`t based on her opinions. So perhaps she never truly was a Ariel-hater in the first place.

With that being said, most of Lindsay`s videos about Disney are mostly new editions of the subjects she already made as Nostalgia Chick (something she also did with Titanic, btw). She did it with Hercules, Pocahontas and despite that her videos for Beauty and the Beast and Robin Williams voice acting weren`t remakes, they touched upon subjects she`s mentioned previously. Why not try to make new videos about new aspects of Disney? It would`ve been nice to see have her discuss something different regarding Disney.

And honestly, at first I found her new videos to be an improvement over her NC videos. Mainly because I had grown out of the type of humor that her first videos was based on. But frankly, I think that some of her attempts with humor on her new editions don`t always mesh with the style of videos that she`s making.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I liked that video, thank you farerb. She says The Little Mermaid is good and everyone likes it, which is true!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I never liked her previous Little Mermaid video and I'm glad she made a new one. She did give the impression back then that she didn't like The Little Mermaid back then and it wasn't just the video, but I like this one because it's one of the better defenses I've seen on the movie and the princesses.

It's true that she does make new videos about movies she reviewed as the NC, but I believe that she revisits them because her opinion has changed and she has new perspective about them, like how her opinion about Pocahontas has softened. She also said she didn't like her old videos and that's why she removed them, and they are pretty shallow tbh.. and I think she tends to focus on the Disney Renaissance because these are the films she likes and they are the ones she is interested the most, she even hardly ever talks about Walt's films.

I do like her new videos, but not because of the humor, but because they feel more thoughtful and insightful, the things she did back then are pretty superficial and even she herself admits that, like that type of criticism where it's basically a recap of the film while nitpicking. The new ones feel more like an analysis or a commentary about the films, which I find more interesting.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Fair enough.

To give Lindsay credit where credit is due, she evolved as a video reviewer as Nostalgia Chick. Her videos became more informative and subdued during the years and less nitpicky. As for Pocahontas, she used to bash it so much that it became sickening (and for the record, she`s comptelely allowed to dislike it and state her opinion, but it became too repetitive after a while). So when I first saw the title for her new Pocahontas video, I groaned for the aforementioned reasons. But as I watched it, it was fortunately not about her previous hate for it (as it was mostly about racial scrutiny). As for other aspects of Disney, it would`ve been interesting to see her make something about the Revival era. Or even Pixar or DreamWorks, since she reviewed the latter as NC too.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

If you're interested in her general thoughts about Pixar you can find it on her podcast in the Ratatouille The Tick Tock musical:
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... Lenc?ep=14

To me it seems that she's not really a Pixar fan, she loves WALL-E, she thinks that Brad Bird's films have a weird Ayn Rand motif and Tim Allen ruined Toy Story for her, she thinks Finding Nemo is good but that's really it, she hasn't been interested in new Pixar films that much and she had a weird comment on twitter back then where she said Soul was "Pro-life".

There's also an episode about the Frozen musical:
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... NTll?ep=14

And one about The Descendants:
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... 0Zzg?ep=14

By the way, I know I've been more negative about Pocahontas here and I'm sorry if I said anything about it that might have made you uncomfortable.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Thanks for the links :) I thought she was a Pixar fan at first, having said in one of her videos that Pixar made better movies than Disney. But who knows? Perhaps she`s changed her mind?

And I haven`t noticed that you`ve mentioned anything about Pocahontas. But you don`t have to apologize for it :) You`re completely allowed to state your dislike for it. After all, these boards are not fanboards where negativity is forbidden. My issue with Lindsay was not that she hated it. But how she constantly was trashing it. Most people get tired by repetitive hate.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

farerb wrote: By the way, I know I've been more negative about Pocahontas here and I'm sorry if I said anything about it that might have made you uncomfortable.
:| It's strange the way you stan Moana but keep coming after Pocahontas. I hope this isn't a case of you being salty that people think Pocahontas is better because she's skinnier than Moana like a certain suicidal headcase I know.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

“Part of That World” was used in the latest iPad advertisement. I saw it last night during either My Hero Academia or Dr. Stone, I forget which.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Disney's Divinity wrote:“Part of That World” was used in the latest iPad advertisement. I saw it last night during either My Hero Academia or Dr. Stone, I forget which.
Yeah I saw that online. Leave it to Disney to literally prostitute their classics for a quick buck. YUCK

Then they pretend that racist Mary Sues like Tiana and Raya are more important to their company brand even though they also know they wouldn't be able to get even one Dollar for either of them :roll: