Sleeping Beauty Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Sleeping Beauty Discusson

Post by Disney Duster »

Well in the first scene with her, she doesn't get to give her gift, and Maleficent is the one who starts the drama, Then, it is Merryweather who softens some of the drama by giving her gift.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Merrywether starts drama when:

-She insults Maleficent by saying "you were not wanted" which makes Maleficent even more furious.

-She starts to provoke Fauna and starts using her magic on the dress which attracts Maleficent's pet and shows him where they've been hiding all those years.

-She insults Maleficent once again in the dungeon and is heard by Maleficent's pet which allows him to ring the alarm for all of Maleficent's goons.

It's because of her that Maleficent gets to know where they've been hiding, where to capture Phillip and why the goons attacked them in the dungeon.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I never really thought about it that way, but you're right. Of course, I think Maleficent planned to curse Aurora regardless; Flora refers to how she sends frosts to kill her flowers just 'cause she enjoys doing things like that. Stefan slighted her by not recognizing her power and position, and she was going to pay him back for that. Merryweather is the one that suggests they get the wands back out, too, which was a big mistake even though she was right that Flora and Fauna are trainwrecks at doing anything without magic.

Still, Merryweather is my favorite character in the film. At least she does as much good as she can, too, by softening the curse, killing Diablo, and helping Phillip at the end. Aside from Maleficent and Fauna, I don't really care for any of the other characters.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Oh it might sounds like I don't like her but I do. I love the three of them. They're beyond adorable together and that's one of the main reasons why I despise Maleficent (2014).

As for the other characters, Aurora is actually my favorite Disney character but that is 90% because of Marc Davis's animation.
Every single frame of that character is perfect and makes up for her lack of screen time. She really does come off as a queen in the way she walks and moves. No wonder she inspired so many other characters such as princess Odette or any of the Don Bluth ladies really..
The way her skirt twirls is one of the main reasons I got into animation. :lol:
Last edited by Redadoodles on Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, yes I forgot Merryweather made Maleficent even madder at the christening. Aw that's sweet all those reasons you like Aurora and how you got into animation Redadoodles. And yeah, almost every Don Bluth girl looks like Aurora! Lol I didn't know you did animation, that's so cool!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I just discovered the original 1958 Bob Thomas "The Art of Animation" book, scanned in full, in Spanish, online. I own the B&tB & Hercules editions of the book, but this is super cool:

(The end of the book is at the top; keep clicking on the bottom right ("Entradas antiguas") to get to the earlier pages.)

https://cartoonclasico.blogspot.com/sea ... Documentos
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I just discovered the original 1958 Bob Thomas "The Art of Animation" book, scanned in full, in Spanish, online.
That's such a neat discovery. Thanks for telling us about it. I've bookmarked it! :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Of course I would share this; you're welcome! If only I remembered the Spanish I learned in school (I was never close to fluent, though!)...
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

When it comes to Sleeping Beauty, I was never aware of how richly detailed the animation and backgrounds are when I was a kid. I only had the VHS, which presented the movie in fullscreen. I loved the movie, the story, the characters, but that was it. When my mom got me the 2003 Special Edition DVD and I could watch it in widescreen, I was absolutely mesmerised. Then, I watched the making of documentary, where it showed how much work was put in the backgrounds, and I was simply fascinated by it.

About the characters, I really love Aurora herself, even though she's passive. I love her design, especially that beautiful hair. That scene of her singing Once Upon A Dream is a masterpiece. The way her skirt twirls is so realistic.

Maleficent is super badass, but I don't consider her the best Disney Villain. For me, that will always be the Queen in Snow White. :D she's the only one that actually gave me nightmares when I was a kid.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I have a similar experience with Sleeping Beauty Vlad! When I was a kid I loved the movie. I saw it when I was very young renting it from the library and watching it at my aunt's house, and me and my cousin loved it and had pink and blue fights. I always thought the parts with Aurora and Phillip in the forest were boring, but I loved the rest. Then we couldn't get it at the library anymore, so I grew up without it for a while. I got very, very excited when it came to VHS again. I watched it tirelessly when I bought it. I watched the magic parts in slow-motion and frame-by-frame. Then, like you, I got the Special Edition DVD and realized how great the art was. Then I realized the parts in the forest were the most beautiful and now I love watching them!

Aurora's hair is the best animated girl's hair ever!

I had at least one nightmare of Maleficent. But most of my Disney villain nightmares are of Monstro.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Redadoodles wrote:The only prince that is more moronic or selfish to me is probably Derek from Columbia's Swan Princess. (Who's based on Phillip --' ).
Is it because of his famous "what else is there"-comment?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I just discovered the original 1958 Bob Thomas "The Art of Animation" book, scanned in full, in Spanish, online. I own the B&tB & Hercules editions of the book, but this is super cool:

(The end of the book is at the top; keep clicking on the bottom right ("Entradas antiguas") to get to the earlier pages.)

https://cartoonclasico.blogspot.com/sea ... Documentos
I already had that same scanned version, but thanks for posting it, blackcauldron85! I found it on this blog, where there are several other books about Disney and a couple of documentaries which are all in English. The only one that's in Spanish there is the one you posted.
blackcauldron85

^ Yay, Disney books are my fave, so I will bookmark that page- thank YOU for posting! :)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^You're welcome. :)
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Sigh... Im generally very pleased with the restoration of this film... but damn. I was watching it just now, and I noticed how Aurora's nostril disappears for several frames...

(I compared it to a VHS version that is available on youtube, and the nostril WAS there)

BIG. SIGH.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yet another one that needs a correct restoration!
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Redadoodles wrote:The only prince that is more moronic or selfish to me is probably Derek from Columbia's Swan Princess. (Who's based on Phillip --' ).
Is it because of his famous "what else is there"-comment?
Actually, it's more because he was about to shoot a swan (who was his love interest) without any proof that it was evil and even if the swan was indeed the villain, he'd lose all chance to find Odette by killing it. :roll:
Derek does so many moronic thing in that film haha. It's funny that both Derek and Philip are Tchaikovsky princes. :D
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, I never really thought Derek deserved Odette that much, he really is dumb. But I suppose he has to be dumb for a lot of his actions to be overlooked by the audience.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Redadoodles wrote:Actually, it's more because he was about to shoot a swan (who was his love interest) without any proof that it was evil and even if the swan was indeed the villain, he'd lose all chance to find Odette by killing it. :roll:
Derek does so many moronic thing in that film haha. It's funny that both Derek and Philip are Tchaikovsky princes. :D
Fair enough. But yeah, it`s funny that both of them are Tchaikovsky princes.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Yeah, I never really thought Derek deserved Odette that much, he really is dumb. But I suppose he has to be dumb for a lot of his actions to be overlooked by the audience.
Well, to be fair, his mother isn't the brightest woman in the world either. :D