Sleeping Beauty Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Sleeping Beauty Discusson

Post by Farerb »

carolinakid wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:17 am To me, a hand drawn Aurora is more beautiful than ANY of the CGI animated women.
I don’t know if that’s intentional on the part of the animators, or if CGI just can’t duplicate physical beauty as hand drawn animation does.
Both.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I remember thinking Merida was butt ugly. I thought she looked like a cabbage patch doll in the face. I’m glad they don’t try to duplicate that mug when they cast her “friends” in the theme parks. The Meridas I’ve seen at the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland are quite attractive.

Does every heroine have to be a stunner? Of course not. But I thought Merida’s designers were DELIBERATELY trying to make her look frumpy.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

carolinakid wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:44 am I remember thinking Merida was butt ugly. I thought she looked like a cabbage patch doll in the face. I’m glad they don’t try to duplicate that mug when they cast her “friends” in the theme parks. The Meridas I’ve seen at the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland are quite attractive.

Does every heroine have to be a stunner? Of course not. But I thought Merida’s designers were DELIBERATELY trying to make her look frumpy.
I think Pixar purposefully didn't want Merida to have the usual Disney princess look (mostly the big eyes).

Mirabel was purposefully designed as your average everyday woman for "relatability" reasons.

I don't think the designs of Rapunzel, Anna, Elsa, Moana and Raya are bad, but they don't translate well in CGI, mostly because of the proportions of their bodies and heads that make them look like dolls instead of actual people (this issue was never present in hand drawn animation). Actually you can see how the hand drawn women look disastrous in Ralph Breaks the Internet.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I find the biggest differences are in the style of the film overall. Aurora works well because her style is more angular, like the film. Her proportions though are impossibly unrealistic, but that still works in this film because it fits the overall design.

It gets harder to compare her to the more modern designs of the CGI princesses because there is growing movement overall to make them adopt more natural body types. It's a design choice that I find makes them all look the same and overall bleh. Rapunzel and Elsa are still pretty but the style of their films go for more photo-realism and their style reflects that.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Farerb wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:59 amActually you can see how the hand drawn women look disastrous in Ralph Breaks the Internet.
But the hand-drawn princess designs were heavily changed for Ralph Breaks the Internet.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Disney Duster wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:34 pm But the hand-drawn princess designs were heavily changed for Ralph Breaks the Internet.
That they were and NOT for the better! Cinderella looks the worst in that movie! I really hate what they did to her.
Vote for YOUR favorite Disney movie here:
https://www.fanpop.com/clubs/walt-disne ... sics-movie
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

VanessaFan wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:24 am
Disney Duster wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:34 pm But the hand-drawn princess designs were heavily changed for Ralph Breaks the Internet.
That they were and NOT for the better! Cinderella looks the worst in that movie! I really hate what they did to her.
I actually think that she looks quite good in her casual attire, when she's wearing her hair in a ponytail. But when she's wearing her ballgown, yeah, she looks quite awful.
carolinakid wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:44 am I remember thinking Merida was butt ugly. I thought she looked like a cabbage patch doll in the face. I’m glad they don’t try to duplicate that mug when they cast her “friends” in the theme parks. The Meridas I’ve seen at the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland are quite attractive.

They made a point of making her less like the other Princesses. That's why I was really stunned that Disney decided to add her to the Disney Princess franchise. In order for her to fit in, they had to redesign her, so that she wasn't the black sheep. I love how they portrayed her in Ralph Breaks the Internet. Her personality is the same, and I love her facial expressions and how she rolls her eyes, when the other Princesses start to sing. :lol: :lol:
carolinakid wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:17 am To me, a hand drawn Aurora is more beautiful than ANY of the CGI animated women.
I don’t know if that’s intentional on the part of the animators, or if CGI just can’t duplicate physical beauty as hand drawn animation does.
Absolutely. I actually think that all the hand-drawn Princesses are more beautiful than the CGI ones. You're right about CGI not being able to duplicate physical beauty as hand-drawn animation.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I’ve always found Snow White, Cinderella and Aurora stunningly gorgeous (and even Blue Fairy, Alice, Wendy, Darling and Anita very pretty). I enjoy Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, etc but even they don’t have that extra something that the Walt era women have... and their look isn’t quite consistent from one sequence to another. In other words, sometimes they look better in certain scenes than in others. I believe folks refer to that here as being “off model” if I understand them correctly.
Having said that, I still think all the hand drawn women are much more attractive than the CGI women.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I agree. The ladies in Walt's movies are indeed gorgeous, mainly because they were drawn in the style of those vintage illustrations, like the Coca-Cola posters.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

carolinakid wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:26 am I’ve always found Snow White, Cinderella and Aurora stunningly gorgeous (and even Blue Fairy, Alice, Wendy, Darling and Anita very pretty). I enjoy Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, etc but even they don’t have that extra something that the Walt era women have... and their look isn’t quite consistent from one sequence to another. In other words, sometimes they look better in certain scenes than in others. I believe folks refer to that here as being “off model” if I understand them correctly.
Having said that, I still think all the hand drawn women are much more attractive than the CGI women.
What are your thoughts about this Walt Era lady?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

She’s still prettier than Merida!😚
I love The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad! Katrina Van Tassel is another Walt era hand drawn lovely!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think Cinderella, Alice, and Anita are my favorite of the Walt Era (human) women characters. It's a shame Anita doesn't have a bigger role--she's more interesting than Perdita anyway---since she really is gorgeous in the park scene. I remember reading sometime on here, probably in the Dalmatians Discussion thread, that she was modeled after someone famous...Audrey Hepburn??? I could've got the celeb wrong, but that one could be right maybe, she has such a delicate design. A touch more similar to characters like Ariel or Elsa that would come decades later than the others of the Walt Era.

As far as 3D characters--I've always thought Rapunzel's 3D model was hideous, between the huge eyes that don't work in 3D and her prepubescent-looking body (and she's in a romance!), not to mention the horrible dress with its weird texture (that outfit's design being in line with Briar Rose's and Ariel's corset looks, which I've never been fond of either and with a much uglier coloring to boot). The design works better in the TV series, where the eyes aren't as bad and the best parts of it (the green eyes and freckles) are more pronounced, and then thankfully they gave her a new, more appealing outfit to wear not too long into the show. I think the only good thing the 3D film had over the TV series in that case as far as her design goes was the hair, the texture of the hair was very well-done in the film--both the yellow and the brown. :P

I feel like Anna, Elsa, and Moana found more of a balance after that. Hand-drawn animation in general is superior to hand-drawn animation, imo, but I can still acknowledge when some designs in 3D films are beautiful (likely would be even more gorgeous in hand-drawn, alas). Frozen was the first film where they got that beauty of the more delicate, fragile-looking body figures "right," whereas the films before it... Moana was deliberately given a more realistic figure than princesses before her--still very pretty though--whereas Mirabel and Merida were both purposely average-looking for story reasons (the former to encapsulate how much she doesn't seemingly fit in her "perfect" family at the beginning of Encanto, the latter character because she's meant to be the opposite of the Disney Princess-esque Elinor). I like both of Raya's and Namaari's designs--the latter more than the former though--and both sort of break with the hourglass look.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I always thought Merida was ugly too, but now I admire they went for a different, less typically attractive look. I love laced bodices like Briar Rose and Rapunzel have. I'm surprised people don't like those corset-styled bodices, but, different strokes!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm sorry but Rapunzel's dress is basically Generic Princess Dress™.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I always thought Aurora’s Briar Rose dress was so beautiful! And the way it moves when she dances is absolutely stunning!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

carolinakid wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:07 am I always thought Aurora’s Briar Rose dress was so beautiful! And the way it moves when she dances is absolutely stunning!
I agree.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Farerb wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:17 am I'm sorry but Rapunzel's dress is basically Generic Princess Dress™.
I like it a little as it is, but I must admit I only really love it in its concept art forms, when the sleeves looked either off the shoulder or just plain better:

At least the three of agree Briar Rose's dress is beautiful.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I always wished that Aurora would appear in the parks sometimes with Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, with Aurora wearing her Briar Rose dress. Maybe in the wooded area of new Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom. Or near the Matterhorn area in Disneyland where it looks a little more woodsy/foresty.

The way Belle appears in her blue everyday dress sometimes, and other times in her yellow ball gown.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

carolinakid wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:30 am I always wished that Aurora would appear in the parks sometimes with Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, with Aurora wearing her Briar Rose dress. Maybe in the wooded area of new Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom. Or near the Matterhorn area in Disneyland where it looks a little more woodsy/foresty.

The way Belle appears in her blue everyday dress sometimes, and other times in her yellow ball gown.
Ooo, I would LOVE that! I understand why Aurora appears in only the pink dress though, we're probably lucky to have a meet and greet at all since she's not that popular. I was always kind of sad that Disney cut her cottage and "Birthday Party" experience from the New Fantasyland Expansion plans. That would've been a great spot to have her in this outfit.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I also wonder, singerguy, if they had built the Tremaine family château, would Cinderella have appeared in her work clothes (her “rags”)? That would have been fun, imo, and a nice change from always being in her ball gown. It would even be extra fabulous for her to appear now and then in her pink gown. She could always say the mice and birds made her another one! Just for a little variety and so we could see her with her hair down from time to time.

I am SUCH a Princess fanboy!!!