Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Cinderella Discussion

Post by Vlad »

In Romania, we don't have access to Movies Anywhere or Vudu, so I checked the iTunes version, but it sadly still has the old restoration. No worries, I will watch the newly restored movie when I get my 4K copy on Blu-ray. Marce and Duster, thanks for providing your thoughts on the restoration, it sounds like it's going to be a treat experiencing it. :D :D

I'm also very happy that it finally got the treatment it deserves.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Marce82, thank you for your thoughts, I really enjoyed reading them. Thank you for telling me about the mistakes they still fixed (how do I find the 16mm of Cindy with her apron bow?).

Vlad, thanks for what you said! I, too, am so happy this film got the treatment it deserves!

Really, the only things I wonder about are Cinderella's hair and the pink light coming from the palace when she and the Prince go to the garden now being white light.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

First, DisneyDuster: here is the link to the ending in 16mm, so you can see the bow as she comes down the stairs, holding the duke's hand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i8TsDcgTQM

So... I tried the new transfer with my monitor in Cinema Mode, and I wasn't sure: The colors were less bright, and the contrast in the backgrounds was much more pronounced, which at times made them a little too dark. But maybe that was intended. On the plus side, you can really feel the grain and see the cell color variations a lot better.

But then I got to this scene:

https://ibb.co/McgDbjH

I took a picture of the screen with my phone... now, I'm not saying the colors in the picture are right (it's my phone's lens capturing a bright screen...). But look at the color relationship between hair, skin and lips. Damn... I think this looks darn right, and very close to promotional stills I have seen before. Starting to suspect the colors here might be right... even the hair.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Are you referring to this promotional still?
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

No, not that one. Thought that one isn't bad... but it looks more like a picture of a cell rather than a frame from a 35mm print.

I meant this one. Sorry for the bad quality, I couldn't find a better one at the moment, but I know there are better pictures of this:

https://ibb.co/ByMyb0D
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Honestly, this may be the best transfer I have seen of a Disney classic shot on film (pre-1989)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, thank you Marce82! Her hair is brownish blonde in the 16mm, too, not really reddish, like the new restoration is brownish blonde-haired as well! I see the disappearing bow, whatever. An animation mistake of the glass slipper popping off Drizella's foot but reappearing after it popped off (off her foot, but still in the "popping off" action) has remained in this new restoration.

I am glad to hear this may the best Disney Classic pre '89 in terms of transfer!

Also, someone on Blu-ray.com said the reason we are getting good 4K's lately is they are being outsourced to a team based mostly in Europe using archival negative prints, and Disney isn't able to mess with them.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Thank God. I wish they'd put one out for all the films with those same people in charge then. But I believe Alice in Wonderland, B&tB, The Sword in the Stone in particular are the worst left (on physical media anyway) now Cinderella is back to normal.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Good catch on that mistake with Drizella's fitting, Disney Duster! Never noticed it before! And I see that too about the hair. Starting to question if it was ever supposed to be redder... maybe this darker blond is what was intended.

I'm not bothered by the missing bow or missing sleeve. These a very minor mistakes that were fixed. And good to know about the European company that did this transfer/restoration! It looks amazing. I can't wait to see it without the pixelation from the Vudu site...

Alice and BATB may have had questionable color issues... but there was never a loss of detail or blurriness, which was the case with Cinderella and TSITS, respectively. And the latter looks great on Disney+ (even though I am not pleased with the cropped aspect ratio). Cinderella was, to me, the last of the truly messed up classics. I am thrilled that it is fixed.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

A question for you Cinderella lovers like me:
First of all, I don’t have a 4K player and have no plans to get one. The version of Cinderella that I own is the first DVD release. Would it be be worth it to buy the regular Blu-ray version of this current release through the Disney Movie Club? I’m really so confused about all the different versions released since the first DVD. I’m really interested in the version that’s closest to what audiences saw in 1950 on the big screen. Can you guys please help me make this decision whether to buy the newest non-4K Blu-ray? Merci!
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey CarolinaKid!

Every Cinderella dvd and blu ray so far has had the same botched restoration (mild difference in color between dvd and blu ray... but barely perceptible). Real difference between releases has been the bonus material only.

I'm afraid you will have to wait a little bit: we don't know yet if the blu ray included with the upcoming 4K disc will have the old or new transfer. Hopefully, once the discs become available, we'll start to see some reviews online... or maybe some members on here will check out which version the new blu ray has and post on here.

We are all waiting! I have zero plans to get a 4K player as well...
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I ordered it but it might take awhile until I actually get it, but as soon as it arrives I'll let you know.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Marce and Farerb,
Will do ! Thanks so much! You guys are the best! 😘

I love the bonus material on the first DVD release! Platinum Edition from 2005.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am in full agreement, Marce82!

Carolinakid, yes, we have to wait till we see of the Blu-ray has this new, faithful transfer, but we also need to see if the new Blu-ray has the bonus feature "In Walt's Words: The Envisioning of Cinderella". That is the best bonus feature the movie has ever gotten. It's the closest it has ever gotten to an audio commentary, and its visual, too! It was on the Signature Edition of the film. I don't know if it will be on this new one.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Thanks for replying, my buddy Duster!
If it’s NOT on this Blu-ray and this Blu-ray is NOT the new transfer, then I’ll consider getting the Signature edition to complement my Platinum.
That Disney doesn’t include all previous bonus features on each film’s home media rerelease is just another crass money grab that makes me hate modern Disney!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm not a technical person at all...hubby said our TV is a 4k but I didn't know you needed a 4k Blu-ray player. I had used my Strange World Blu disc only...I just put in the 4k disc and it doesn't work. I pre-ordered Cinderella and I won't be able to watch it. 😭. Hopefully the Blu disc will have the updated restoration.
MT_A_MT

Post by MT_A_MT »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:59 am I'm not a technical person at all...hubby said our TV is a 4k but I didn't know you needed a 4k Blu-ray player. I had used my Strange World Blu disc only...I just put in the 4k disc and it doesn't work. I pre-ordered Cinderella and I won't be able to watch it. 😭. Hopefully the Blu disc will have the updated restoration.
Yeah, you need a 4K Blu-Ray player to play 4K discs, hopefully, the Blu-ray will also be remastered.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You're welcome my buddy carolinakid, and yeah, I hate Disney's bonus feature cash grabbing. I hope the new transfer is on the new Blu-ray for you, Amy, and everyone who doesn't have a 4K player, including me!

Farerb, will you let us know if the new transfer is also on the DVD which comes with the DMC exclusive?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Duster wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:24 pm Farerb, will you let us know if the new transfer is also on the DVD which comes with the DMC exclusive?
Yes, but I'm pretty sure others will get it before I do. It's going to take a long time unfortunately.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, ok, well thank you Farerb.