Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cinderella Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

Haha yes what a very cool commercial, it must have been astronomically expensive, and it's so awesome they used 1950 Cinderella, coach and all!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Andreas Deja wrote:A beautiful publicity photo of Ilene Woods, the voice of Cinderella. Look at all that stunning art by Mary Blair. Some of you might know that Ilene originally sang the demo tracks for three of the film's songs: Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo, A Dream is a Wish your Heart makes and So This is Love. Walt Disney liked the demos so much , he offered her the part of Cinderella. Much to her amazement.

I had the chance of meeting Ilene a few times over the years at Disney events. She really embodied her character. Soft spoken, kind, patient with fans. There are times when I need to pinch myself for having met legendary people like her. How lucky can you get?

Ilene died in 2010, aged 81.
http://andreasdeja.blogspot.com/2022/06 ... woods.html
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

She looks a touch like Judy Garland there. And thank God she did sing the demos, her voice was one of Disney's best, imo.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Ilene autographed a reproduced cel of Cinderella artwork for me at a 50th Anniversary event in 2000. She was so friendly and gracious I felt as if I were in the presence of a real princess. Ilene and Adriana Caselotti and Mary Costa are my 3 favorite Disney Princess voices.
Disney's Divinity

For me, the best princess voices are Judy Kuhn, Jodi Benson, Anika Noni Rose, Ilene Woods, Kristen Bell, and Idina Menzel. A shame Woods and ANR didn't get better material to sing, but their voices were both still standouts for me. I never much liked SW's or Aurora's voices. I'm not much of an opera person (in Aurora's case) whereas with SW, she doesn't even sound human.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

While not among my favorite Disney Princess voices, I love much of Judy Kuhn’s, Jodi Benson’s and Idina Menzel’s non-Disney material. I wish Sierra Boggess would do a Disney voice. Her Broadway cast recording of The Little Mermaid is sublime.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, thank God Ilene sang those demos to get picked by Walt. Like magic and luck, like the real Cinderella got. I am so happy to hear that the people who met her knew her as a real lovely person. I like Jodi Benson's and Mary Costa's singing voices the most, but I love Ilene's speaking voice the most for like any character ever. It's so soft.

I love Sierra Boggess' voice singing and speaking, too.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm such a Cinderella fanboy I just had to post a revelation I had. Cinderella is so sarcastic! First she says something like "I'm sorry if his Highness objects to an early breakfast" to Lucifer, which is very sarcastic, then calls him "Your Majesty!" when feeding him, and then says the infamous "music lesson" line. She was sarcastic at least two or three times there, depending what one counts as sarcasm! My favorite sarcastic princess!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Yes, that is something that I love about her, too!

Also, Duster, I just posted a bunch of books in the Books thread; there's a new hardcover Cinderella storybook with concept art coming out, and a new book series, the first being about the stepsisters!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yay! We both like that!

Oh, ok I checked the books thread, and actually, I own that very Disney Classics Cinderella book, because it came out previously, same title, same cover! So I think it's the same one...

I did also see that stepsister book. I will consider getting it. I have many books to read. I just got the Lady Tremaine Serena Valentino one recently, and am finishing the Sailor Moon manga before I read that!

But thank you so much!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It seems like Disney was considering using Prokofiev's music as the score for Cinderella, the way Tchaikovsky's was used in Sleeping Beauty.

From The Hollywood Reporter, December 27, 1945.
Disney Mulls Ballet

Lou Levy has submitted "Cinderella," Sergai Prokofiev's new symphonic ballet, to Walt Disney for consideration as background for a feature-length cartooner.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1613467 ... 129832639/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

That's really interesting. I wonder what Walt thought when he received the submission...like were they really thinking about using it or quickly he was like nah?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's so interesting, thanks Sotiris! I also wonder that, Amy! But I am glad we got a new score. Still, if I wonder, if they had used Prokofiev, would I have ended up liking that more? What if...lol
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Cinderella will be released on 4K:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!!!!!

I can't believe this is happening! This is completely out of the blue! Thank you Farerb! I LOVE the cover even though it's a mix of old images! It's beautiful!!! I am so gonna try to get that lithograph by pre-ordering. Do you think we will get a new restoration? I hope so soooooo much!

Aaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!
Disney's Divinity

You're right, Duster. The Fairy Godmother and mice from the Diamond, and the coach from the Platinum covers, I believe? Cinderella is from the Diamond DVD cover or something like that? For some reason I was thinking the Platinum DVD, but then I remembered there were no Blu-ray releases back then.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You are exactly right, Divinity, good eye, and the castle is a screencap from the film itself, while the gate is from the Platinum.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Farerb wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:12 pm Cinderella will be released on 4K:
That is amazing!!!!!! What a beautiful cover! I hope they will make it available on Amazon as well!

Please God, let it have a new restoration. I will buy it either way, to show support for 4K releases for the animated classics. Snow White and Sleeping Beauty can't be far behind.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I know, right? What a beautiful cover. And I also hope it will be released wide on Amazon, and that Snow White and Sleeping Beauty come to 4K, too. They would look so beautiful. But even though it isn't as beautiful as those, Cinderella will look the most beautiful in its own way to me, and is the one I am most excited to get!!!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I hope Disney will give it a proper restoration this time. But I'm seriously in love with the cover. The design is super clever.