Rank the Silly Symphonies

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Rank the Silly Symphonies

Post by Farerb »

How would you rank the Silly Symphonies?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Re: Rank the Silly Symphonies

Post by carolinakid »

There are 75 Silly Symphonies. Are all of them on the 2 Treasures sets?
I donโ€™t know if I could rank them but I could probably list my 10 or perhaps 25 favorites. Iโ€™ll try to do that after church this morning...
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

OK
My 10 Favorites:

The Old Mill 1937
The Ugly Duckling 1939
Little Hiawatha 1937
Three Little Pigs 1933
The Tortoise and the Hare 1935

The Wise Little Hen 1934
The Country Cousin 1936
The Grasshopper and the Ants 1934
Who Killed Cock Robin? 1935
Three Orphan Kittens 1935

To be honest, I really love all the Silly Symphonies.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Honorable Mentions:

Santaโ€™s Workshop 1932
The Goddess of Spring 1934
The Cookie Carnival 1935
Music Land 1935
Mother Goose Goes Hollywood 1938
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I wouldn't dare rank these, and in many cases it has simply been too long for me to remember adequately a good bunch of them, but I can list my favourites. :-)

Personally, I feel that the best Silly Symphonies come from the colour era. With the earlier, black and white shorts I think that Walt Disney and company were still finding their footing.

Silly Symphonies I love:

1. The Skeleton Dance (1928)

So entertaining almost a hundred years after it debuted! I've shown this one to my primary school students in class, and I was amazed that in an age of Gumball and narrowing attentions spans, they really enjoyed it and requested I play it again for them on the interactive whiteboard!

2. Flowers and Trees (1932)

You hear a lot about this one, since it was Walt Disney's first three-strip Technicolor short, but I think it's just a plain excellent cartoon, colour or not. The Disney charm is full bloom here.

3. Father Noah's Ark (1933)

A delight from start to finish. Excellent musical score, and lovely rubberhose animation goodness.

4. The Pied Piper (1933)

This might be my favourite Symphony! I love the operetta style and the music is to die for. The only part of the music I find trite is the very end, when the children are in their dreamland.

5. The Grasshopper and the Ants (1934)

Preachy morals have never been this much fun! :P

6. The Goddess of Spring (1934)

Yes, the human animation is absolutely rubbery in some scenes, but I dislike that this film is always brought up in the context of "Ew! Look how the Disney animators weren't ready to handle human animation in 1934!" Personally, I think they did pretty darn good for a first attempt, and the animation of Persephone in the underworld is a lot better than her floaty dancing up top. Terrific effects animation that nobody ever mentions.

7. The Golden Touch (1935)

Much maligned cartoon is the last personally directed by Walt Disney, and he reportedly got hot under the collar if anybody mentioned it in the years following its production. I think it is a fine cartoon, which imaginative visuals and staging. I just dislike the "modern touches" and infrequently cringey dialogue. I know I wouldn't mind having this film on my CV. :lol:

8. The Cookie Carnival (1935)

A delightful confection sweeter than the cookies onscreen. What a joy! I am always charmed by the dance animation in this film, when the anthropomorphic foodstuffs are trying to woo the May Queen. Just look at the lovely squash and stretch, and perfect timing on those drunken cupcakes!

9. Who Killed Cock Robin? (1935)

Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. I need to watch it again.

10. Music Land (1935)

Supremely imaginative. A first class effort, from animation to colour and styling, to musical scoring and sound design.

11. Woodland Cafรฉ (1937)

Spectacular show-piece in which your toes can't help tapping along. Amazing Ward Kimball animation on the jazz band.

12. Wynken, Blynken and Nod (1938)

Some people may find this kitschy, but I think the film can be forgiven for presenting a simple, innocent, beautifully illustrated tale that is designed to make you go "Aaaaawwww!"

13. Mother Goose Goes Hollywood (1938)

Loads of fun!

14. The Practical Pig (1939)

The short gives me Looney Tunes vibes. Favourite scene: The wolf in his ridiculous mermaid costume complete with island, vegetation and patch, arranging his hair and harp and trilling, "Nee nee nee nee neeeeeeeeeee!" :lol:

15. The Ugly Duckling (1939)

A perfectly elegant adaptation of the classic tale without extra, unneeded frills. Beautiful animation and art direction. I love the implication of adultery by the male duck at the beginning of the film. I suppose that's a rather adult, "unneeded frill," that would have flown over kids' heads in 1939, but it makes perfect sense and I'm glad it's in the film. :-)

That's all folks! :milkbuds:
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I haven't seen them all, but my favorites so far are The Goddess of Spring, The Old Mill, The Ugly Ducking, The Tortoise and the Hare, Santa's Workshop, The Three Little Pigs.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

My ranking:
1. Ugly Duckling: its so charming and full of heart and delivers all the emotional aspects of the tale perfectly. I feel so bad for the little Duckling. Its the most classic, faithful and most traditional out of all the silly Symphonies. If you would be a movie, it would fit perfectly besides classics like Dumbo and Bambi. Love to rewatch this one

2. The Big Bad Wolf: I love Disneys charming Spin of Red Riding Hood, love the fairytale and this is the closest we got from Disney for now. I love how the Iconic 3 Pigs Returned and got integrated into the plot.

3. The Golden Touch: love the moral here and its really entertaining. This would be the 2nd most "traditional" SS imo.

4. The 3 Little Pigs: its really really charming. The Pig Song is fun and all the witty Humour here, from the background pictures that show a sausage with the title "Father" is really hilarious. Also love the message her. 3rd

5. Pied Piper: its funny how the Pied Piper here looks almost identical to the one in Shrek (4). Its also really faithful and stuffs pretty much all aspects from the tale in 7 Minutes, so I think it would still be really difficult to turn this tale into a fully fleshed out movie, but I would still love if Disney would adapt it. They can make him the hero ala Snowqueen Elsa.

6. Music Land. The characters and World are really charming. Love how they communicate through notes lol. :P

7. The cookie carnival: Beautiful Cinderella twist with a charming World that looks really delicious. Yum yum :milkbuds:

8. China Shop: i think thats also a twist on the Tin Soldier.

9. Goddess of Spring

But after seeing the list of SS shorts, there are still so many I havent seen yet that could shake up the list.
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink: