Bob Iger is Back!!!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Bob Iger is Back!!!

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Re: Bob Iger is Back!!!

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Iger is ruthless. He screwed over so many people to get ahead and stay in power: Michael Eisner, Dick Cook, Rich Ross, Jay Rasulo, Tom Staggs, Anne Sweeney, Kevin Mayer, Bob Chapek, Kareem Daniel, Arthur Bochner, Heather Hust Rivera, Mark Levenstein, Jayne Bieber, Elizabeth Newman, Victoria Alonso, Ike Perlmutter, Rob Steffens, John Turitzin, Alicia Schwarz, Marisol Garcia, Alan Fine, Rob Steffens, Wendy Fisher, Galen Gordon, Mary Noonan, Alison Rudnick, Chris Vlasto, Heather Riley, David Herndon among others.

At least Chapek was more restrained in that department. He only did that to Catherine Powell and Peter Rice.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I see so much people online so happy about it as if Iger is their personal friend. So many issues nowadays are resulted from his decisions. Sure, it probably means less focus on Disney+ content, higher quality production values, but we'll still get unnecessary remakes and sequels, they'll just look better. It'll also probably mean no hand drawn features and no LGBT representation or less of it.

It's probably better news for the people who love the parks though.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Personally, I think nothing will change. Chapek was following in Iger's footsteps and everything Chapek undertook was introduced and implemented by Iger first. Chapek just wasn't personable and good with public relations.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, at least Bob Iger will ensure Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar goes theatrical again and at least there will be quality control at Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm on Disney+ and in theaters. So, there’s that. And maybe with Tiana now delayed for Disney+ in 2024, he'll ensure that series gets more money put into it to ensure it is hand-drawn animated and that it escapes Bob Chapek's budget cuts.

But, like Faerb said, Iger was somewhat against, for a while, adult content on US Disney+ and LGBTQ rep in WDAS and Pixar movies, so I just hope that he lets Deadpool 3 be R, Daredevil: Born Again be TV-MA, the Disney+ Tiana series coming in 2024 be hand-drawn animated, and doesn’t let Disney back in China and Russia.

And maybe he will let Daredevil and Deadpool be left alone, since his last interview with CNBC in December 2021 ended with him admitting Disney+ needs more content and volumes of content for different and all audiences: https://notesfromneverland.com/news/bob ... ographics/.

So, we'll see.

Also, keep in mind that Disney is now open to more hand-drawn animation, per Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn's comments at D23, which I was at, so maybe Iger will heavily push Wish and Tiana's marketing campaigns hard to get the era of watercolor animation at Disney back into the fold.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Well, now that he's back I must say I'm not exactly thrilled by him either. I hope he focus on making Disney, well, Disney instead of mega purchases and endless IP stuff, and still allows WDAS and Pixar to run free (we JUST got rid of Lasseter). But even if his new reign puzzles me on the corporative and film/TV side, at least we know the parks will be in much, much better hands (AND Chapek isn't even in the Parks this time around so it can only get better :lol: )
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:58 pm I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, at least Bob Iger will ensure Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar goes theatrical again and at least there will be quality control at Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm on Disney+ and in theaters. So, there’s that. And maybe with Tiana now delayed for Disney+ in 2024, he'll ensure that series gets more money put into it to ensure it is hand-drawn animated and that it escapes Bob Chapek's budget cuts.

But, like Faerb said, Iger was somewhat against, for a while, adult content on US Disney+ and LGBTQ rep in WDAS and Pixar movies, so I just hope that he lets Deadpool 3 be R, Daredevil: Born Again be TV-MA, the Disney+ Tiana series coming in 2024 be hand-drawn animated, and doesn’t let Disney back in China and Russia.

And maybe he will let Daredevil and Deadpool be left alone, since his last interview with CNBC in December 2021 ended with him admitting Disney+ needs more content and volumes of content for different and all audiences: https://notesfromneverland.com/news/bob ... ographics/.

So, we'll see.

Also, keep in mind that Disney is now open to more hand-drawn animation, per Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn's comments at D23, which I was at, so maybe Iger will heavily push Wish and Tiana's marketing campaigns hard to get the era of watercolor animation at Disney back into the fold.
Why do you not want him to “let Disney back with China and Russia”? Would you not want them to do better with the mass amount of people in those markets there?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I think overall this IS a good thing. Chapek was overall hurting the brand in the public's eyes, whether or not his ideas were good or bad. In fact, I think I do understand some of his decisions and moves on a business perspective but he seriously lacked any bedside manner. I think you'd be a fool to anticipate any huge dramatic change from Iger as far as practices go, but they'll be delivered in a much more palatable package for consumers.

I'm mostly expecting changes being made at the park level, because I think that is the most visible part of the company. Genie+ might see some changes, and they might drop park reservations. We might see dinning plans come back. Like the recession in 2008, I'm assuming we'll see some pretty great deals at the resorts/tickets. That worked well for them last time we hit a major recession and it seems economists all agree we're headed back into one sometime in the next year. I think an overall better business model for the parks is to fill them up in lieu of milking the guests you get. Eventually costs get too high, and I think we're at that tipping point. It doesn't seem like Chapek fully understood the market or his customers, and Iger does.

I think it's important to keep in mind that Iger is only supposed to be around for 2 years. Who knows if that will hold true, I think Chapek's dismissal shows anything can happen. I'm just holding back any excitement because I think a lot of his time is going to be devoted to finding and grooming a new successor.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

They should've brought Eisner back instead. :P
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Patricier21 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:01 am
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:58 pm I have mixed feelings about this.

So, we'll see.

Why do you not want him to “let Disney back with China and Russia”? Would you not want them to do better with the mass amount of people in those markets there?
No, because I don't want LGBTQ characters censored from animated films again and have Disney face flak for bending the knee to those horrid dictatorship countries.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:29 am They should've brought Eisner back instead. :P
And make more crappy DTV sequels? No, no thanks, I'll pass on that.
blackcauldron85

Re: Bob Chapek Named CEO of The Walt Disney Company

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Iger’s Sudden Return to Disney Shocks a Discontented Kingdom
https://nyti.ms/3OpYepD
Mr. Daniel’s division is notably the one that contributed the $1.5 billion in “peak” streaming losses for the recent quarter, up from $630 million a year earlier, surprising investors.

Mr. Iger ousted Mr. Daniel on Monday. In a note to employees, Mr. Iger said a new company structure was on the way that “puts more decision-making back in the hands of our creative teams and rationalizes costs.”
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: Bob Chapek Named CEO of The Walt Disney Company

Post by PatrickvD »

I’m seeing a lot cheers among people in the industry. They seem to really want him back.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

‘Disney Adults,’ Grown-Up Fans of Magic Kingdom, Are Rapturous Over Bob Iger’s Return as CEO
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/disn ... 235439277/
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:29 am ‘Disney Adults,’ Grown-Up Fans of Magic Kingdom, Are Rapturous Over Bob Iger’s Return as CEO
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/disn ... 235439277/
Let’s hope their excitement doesn’t get overshadowed by disappointment.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Iger’s better than Chapek but I can’t get too excited. Iger’s the one who started all this woke crap at Disney to begin with...

Woke Disney panics and reinstates even more woke ex CEO who’ll change nothing. Does that make sense to anyone?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It makes sense when you realize a shadow word like woke has nothing to do with it. Disney's problems have nothing to do with "woke," so naturally their executive decision-making has nothing to do with "woke" either.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I'm pretty sure bringing Iger back (if you're arguing that Iger is a champion of "wokeness"), would be proof that going "woke" is the better business decision.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:31 am It makes sense when you realize a shadow word like woke has nothing to do with it. Disney's problems have nothing to do with "woke," so naturally their executive decision-making has nothing to do with "woke" either.
You're right. It's a good thing that the MAGA-ization of certain members is easy to ignore.