Walt Disney Animation GIFS in Slow Motion.

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Walt Disney Animation GIFS in Slow Motion.

Post by VanessaFan »

As you all know, I love Disney Animation. I love to watch the Classics Animated Movies, hear the songs and look at the characters. But one thing I really love is watching the animation in slow motion. It gives a great insight to how much work the animators puts into their work. It's facinating to me to watch a scene or a sequence in slow motion, as then I get more details the next time I see the movies. Ever since I was a little boy, I enjoyed to watch the movies, even in slow motion on my father's VHS Machine. When I discovered how to make gifs, I have made many gifs from various Disney Classics, but most from The Little Mermaid. So, one day I though "Why not make some gifs in slow motion". So here I will post some funny, great animated GIFS, in slow motion. I do hope you will like them.
I own the book "The Art of The Little Mermaid" from Sotheby's New York and they have a great insight to some of the sequences I have made gifs of. I will apply the information to each gif as it is described in the book, so some of these will not include the comments of if it's a single cel set-up or otherwise as I don't have the information of knowing it. But hopefully you'll like the gifs anyway.

Single cel set-up applied to a matching watercolor background of the sky.
Quote: Vanessa screaming.
Number of frames: 84 frames.
Description of the sequence: A blue lobster has landed on Vanessa's head and pinches her nose with his claw. As she lets out a scream, she is suddenly attacked by starfish.
VanessaFan's comment: One of my favorite sequences with Ursula as Vanessa. As Vanessa bows her head down to let out a scream, notice the squash and stretch of her face. When the starfish starts to cover her body, notice the speed in the animation. Suddenly the animation is done on ones, instead of twos. That is because its a fast scene. Until the last starfish hits her on the mouth, the animation goes back on twos. Also notice Vanessa's fringe as her head is pushed backwards.

Three cel set-up applied to a matching background.
Quote: Jafar: Abject humiliation!
Number of frames: 48 frames.
Description of the sequence: Jafar strikes Princess Jasmine and The Sultan with a blast of magic, that forces them both to bow down before him.
VanessaFan's comment: I have always loved this sequence of Jasmine and the Sultan as they fall and bow to Jafar. I love how you can see how Jasmine is trying to resist the magic, but she has to give in and fall to her knees. The Sultan, on the other hand, just falls to his knees straight away! xD Also, the animation on the magic is also just beautiful. One thing I would have changed though, is the first frames. They're both just standing there, without doing anything. I'd had them react with their faces, their eyes, mouths, something.

Single cel set-up applied to a matching background of the jungle.
Quote: No qoute.
Number of frames: 21 frames.
Description of the sequence: Pumbaa are singing to Simba about how he always got got downhearted, every time that he... But Timon cuts him off, saying: "Hey, Pumbaa! Not in front of the kids!"
VanessaFan's comment: This little sequence of Simba has always been one of my favorites! Just look at how confused he's looking :lol:

Single cel set-up applied to a matching watercolor background of the forest.
Quote: Taran: Ohh no!.
Number of frames: 58 frames.
Description of the sequence: Taran gets annoyed with himself, when he discovers that Hen Wen has run off. He tosses the stick in the water in frustration.
VanessaFan's comment: Another sequence I really love with Taran. In some of the first frames, when he has closed his eyes, he looks like he could be singing. One thing I really love about the animation of Taran, is that he has a perfect nose. Unlike Jim Hawkins.

Single cel set-up applied to a matching watercolor background of the sea.
Quote: Princess Ariel: But if you would just listen!
Number of frames: 76 frames.
Description of the sequence: Princess Ariel tries to get her father to listen to her.
VanessaFan's comment: I have always loved this sequence with Ariel. I think she looks beautiful here, but there are also some funny screencaps of her as well.
Last edited by VanessaFan on Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vote for YOUR favorite Disney movie here:
https://www.fanpop.com/clubs/walt-disne ... sics-movie
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Walt Disney Animation in Slow Motion.

Post by Sotiris »

What a great idea for a thread! The slow-motion gifs helps you appreciate the animation on a whole new level. I love the Ariel and Jasmine gifs the most.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I don't have much to add right now, but agreed with Sotiris. What a lovely idea for a thread! :)

Please keep posting!
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Single cel set-up applied to a matching watercolor background of the garden.
Number of frames: 81 frames.

Last edited by VanessaFan on Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

That one of Ariel when she says "But if you would just listen" is one of my favorites. I used to watch so many sequences of her in slow motion when I was a kid, because I really loved the animation on her hair. And I loved to watch it move around her.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Vlad Sicoe wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:47 pm That one of Ariel when she says "But if you would just listen" is one of my favorites. I used to watch so many sequences of her in slow motion when I was a kid, because I really loved the animation on her hair. And I loved to watch it move around her.
Yeah, I know just what you mean. I have always found animation facinating! And being able to watch it in slow motion just makes it even better! :D
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Single cel set-up applied to a matching watercolor background of the sky.
Quote: *No Quote*
Number of frames: 76 frames.
Description of the sequence: As Prince Eric walks over to Ariel, she fixes her hair as she's both excited and nervous at the same time.
This sequence is just so beautiful drawn! I really love this shot of Ariel as she looks straight in the camera and the way she kinda bites her lower lip. I also love her left eyebrow in the end of the sequence.

VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

That one of Ariel fixing her hair is such a beautiful sequence. It's so brief, but the animation is gorgeous.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Vlad Sicoe wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:51 pm That one of Ariel fixing her hair is such a beautiful sequence. It's so brief, but the animation is gorgeous.
That sequence is one of my favorites of Ariel in the movie. She is so beautifully drawn there.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Four cel set-up applied to a matching background of Agrabah.
Quote: Aladdin: (Singing) One jump ahead of the bread line. One swing ahead of the sword.
Number of frames: 64 frames.
Description of the sequence: A Palace Guard stands in front of Aladdin and takes a few swings at him with his sword, but Aladdin is way too fast.
This is such a funny sequence and it shows easily how 'cartoony' Aladdin is. I bet the animators had a lot of fun with the whole 'One Jump Ahead' number as they got to let loose and animate some wacky sequences. I also love how playful Aladdin is here. Even though he is in great danger, he still holds out the stolen bread like it was a sword. :lol:

VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Walt Disney Animation GIFS in Slow Motion.

Post by VanessaFan »

Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

The Jim Hawkins one is a good example of slow-moving animation, which I believe is very hard to do since the spacing between the drawings is so tight.

In fact, most of the time only his eyes are narrowing, and the rest of his body is immobile. But you can tell that each frame is a new drawing because the lines boil ever so slightly between one frame and the next.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

These are all so lovely! I've spent a lot of time looking at stills of characters, but not really in slow motion. It's really beautiful how some of these subtle moments are. They give you more character than any of their lines do in some cases.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Jules wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:24 pm The Jim Hawkins one is a good example of slow-moving animation, which I believe is very hard to do since the spacing between the drawings is so tight.

In fact, most of the time only his eyes are narrowing, and the rest of his body is immobile. But you can tell that each frame is a new drawing because the lines boil ever so slightly between one frame and the next.
Yeah, it must be a hard job to do that kind of slow-moving animation. But they did great with Jim Hawkins there. It's like this one of Ariel. Again, there's not much movement, but still, all 46 screencaptures here are different.

VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Single cel set-up applied to a matching watercolor background of the grotto.
Quote: Ariel: (singing). "Bet they don't reprimand their daughters. Bright young women sick of swimmin'. Ready..."
Number of frames: 193 frames.
Description of the sequence: Ariel sings about the human world above.
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow. That Cinderella dress-tearing one kinda gets to my heart in a way it never has in normal motion.