Wish

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Wish

Post by Farerb »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:19 am How do we know that "various worlds" = through existing Disney worlds? If it's true, it's slightly reminiscent of In Search of Mickey Mouse, except worlds vs. characters.
We don't. It's just my (and probably others') theory.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

PatrickvD wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:21 am They’ve been wanting to do this forever. Isn’t that what they had planned for Fantasia 2000? All the Royals together. Until they realized it was stupid.

Also it’s essentially just ‘into the Spiderverse’ with Disney Princess movies. Down to the animation style.

Nobody. Wants. This.
Multiverses are very popular right now, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney wanted to do something similar.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:14 amThey said that Asha is a princess and that she will journey through various worlds in order to save her people. It seems that my theory that she'll visit places from previous Disney films and meet other known characters might be correct.
I think she was referred to as a princess because of the expectation she'll join the Disney Princess franchise. Besides, people tend to call Disney female characters princesses regardless if they are royalty in their respective films or not. I highly doubt she will actually be a princess in the film itself. As for the possibility of her visiting various Disney movies or meeting other Disney characters, I really hope it's not true. Such a thing would tarnish WDAS' legacy worse than Ralph Breaks the Internet.
PatrickvD wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:21 amThey’ve been wanting to do this forever. Isn’t that what they had planned for Fantasia 2000? All the Royals together. Until they realized it was stupid. Also it’s essentially just ‘into the Spiderverse’ with Disney Princess movies. Down to the animation style. Nobody. Wants. This.
It's a really bad idea, for sure. Chasing trends and engaging in fanservice is a recipe for disaster. Personally, I'm not going to support the movie, if that turns out to be the case.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I feel like Lasseter being a micromanager and forcing Kingdom Hearts 3 crew to work much more closely with the people who made the new 3D films while he was in the studio (because he wanted the films to be re-created entirely rather than there be any creativity with the properties in Kingdom Hearts 3) caused a lot of story ideas from KH to end up on the radar of WDAS animators. Raya's plot feels inspired by it a great deal, with dark creatures (like the Darkness and Heartless) and the fighting over the light having caused it all (re-created literally in Raya with people fighting over an orb of light). :lol: Of course, the only thing in Encanto that made me think of KH was the color of Mirabel's dress being like the Dream Eaters. But now this story idea for Wish sounds a great deal like Sora going through "worlds" (ie, Disney movies).

Personally, I have always liked when Disney characters are combined together. Two things though--execution matters a great deal, the first KH game did it right as far as giving appropriate gravity and seriousness to certain characters (the Disney Princess characters and the Disney Villains) and not goofing around with them whereas a lot of the other games in the series are a mess. Also--I dread them involving anything PIXAR or Star Wars, that is not Disney, I don't care if Disney technically owns them now. I would be fine if they involved Anastasia though (if they intend to include her in the Princess line eventually); that would be kind of funny to me. :lol: If they borrow any idea directly from KH, I hope it's the stained glass artwork idea. I'd love if they did something similar to those pieces from KH1 they have for Snow White, Cinderella, Belle, and Aurora for the other princesses. <3
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

PatrickvD wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:21 am They’ve been wanting to do this forever. Isn’t that what they had planned for Fantasia 2000? All the Royals together. Until they realized it was stupid.

Also it’s essentially just ‘into the Spiderverse’ with Disney Princess movies. Down to the animation style.

Nobody. Wants. This.
I want it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah I want it to.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:14 am Skye Roberts says that in an even with the filmmakers in Singapore, they said that Asha is a princess and that she will journey through various worlds in order to save her people.
It seems that my theory that she'll visit places from previous Disney films and meet other known characters might be correct:

https://youtu.be/nJycBm9XE1s
I've searched the quote featured in her video and it's actually older, from the time the film was presented at D23. I'm not sure where it originated. It was used as a synopsis for the film on Comic Book.com and on the description of a video by Screen Rant, but I don't think it's an official synopsis since it's featured in very few places. Plus, neither the filmmakers nor the cast have referred to Asha as a princess, so I don't think Disney would reveal that detail yet if she was indeed a princess. But it could've been written originally by someone who attended the presentation, so the info could still be at least partially accurate.

I wouldn't be surprised if the film actually featured pre-existent Disney characters or places, since the filmmakers have mentioned more than once there'll be lots of Easter eggs. Like, for example, at the end of this recent article from Total Film I hadn't posted because it didn't have much new info:
A STAR IS BORN
Disney looks upwards…

Wishing is such a big part of Disney’s past, so we wanted to do a film that celebrates that,” says director Chris Buck. “The story basically revolves around a young woman’s wish.” Buck’s fellow director Fawn Veerasunthorn elaborates further: “She makes a wish that is so generous and powerful that it pulls down an actual star from the sky. This is an all-new original story, and it’s a musical.”

Landing in Disney’s centenary year, Wish draws on a classic Disney trope, as well as using a pioneering watercolour-style CG animation, which points to both the past and future of animation. “We looked for the art style that inspired Walt himself, and what brought him to create Snow White,” says Veerasunthorn. “We tried to adapt that into the technology that we have now.”

West Side Story Oscar-winner Ariana DeBose voices Asha, while Disney regular Alan Tudyk voices her pet goat, and the star is also a character itself. “Star’s this little ball of energy,” says Buck. “Star doesn’t talk. It’s all going to be pantomime animation, which, for me, is just kind of animation gold.”

And the directors promise plenty to delight Disney nerds. “If any film is perfect for Easter eggs, it’s this one,” teases Buck.
Or here:
Time and time again it was mentioned that the movie was specifically designed for the movie’s 100th anniversary and Buck alluded to the movie being positively littered with inside jokes and references to the studio’s animated history. “This will take the concept of Easter Eggs to a whole new level,” Buck teased.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/disney-movie-wi ... ndow-cast/

I've also seen people speculate that the villain could be a past Disney one like Chernabog from Fantasia based on this quote:
They'll face a villain described as one of most formidable foes in Disney history.
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/09/wish-disne ... 235113523/

This other quote by Jennifer Lee makes me think it could be true, but we'll see:
And there's so much more to come. We teased a villain; I can't wait to announce you who that villain is.
Source: https://youtu.be/Xm1kNfeZcUM?t=177

Personally, I'm with the ones who are against interconnecting different Disney films and characters, so I hope it's no true. :huh:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:11 pmPersonally, I'm with the ones who are against interconnecting different Disney films and characters, so I hope it's no true. :huh:
Something like that would feel like a fanfic in my opinion. Disney Animation should be above that, but these days they aren't unfortunately.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:55 am
D82 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:11 pmPersonally, I'm with the ones who are against interconnecting different Disney films and characters, so I hope it's no true. :huh:
Something like that would feel like a fanfic in my opinion. Disney Animation should be above that, but these days they aren't unfortunately.
They should be what they choose to be, not what people want them to be.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:16 am
Farerb wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:55 am

Yeah I mean, sure. Just don’t expect it to be good though.

None of these movies have stakes or something or someone to root for. I don’t even remember the last time I felt any emotion watching a WDAS film. They’re all so passable.

It’s not surprising that Universal and other studios are owning Disney at the box office. When are we going to call this another dark age? I don’t sense any revival anymore to be honest.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

PatrickvD wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:18 am
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:16 am

Yeah I mean, sure. Just don’t expect it to be good though.

None of these movies have stakes or something or someone to root for. I don’t even remember the last time I felt any emotion watching a WDAS film. They’re all so passable.

It’s not surprising that Universal and other studios are owning Disney at the box office. When are we going to call this another dark age? I don’t sense any revival anymore to be honest.
We'll see about that.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

If *the* wishing star is the connecting tissue for this supposed multiverse, how would they even go about it? There are only two movies in the canon that feature the (wishing) star, three if you count Peter Pan.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Yes, only Pinocchio and The Princess and the Frog feature a wishing star. I guess they could also use Peter Pan, as you said, or The Rescuers, though nobody actually wishes upon the star in those two films. And the stars are different things in each movie: in Pinocchio, for example, it's the Blue Fairy and in Peter Pan it's Neverland, so I don't know how they would connect these worlds.

If it's only little Easter eggs, though, maybe they'll include references to all the films where stars play some kind of role in the story. Then, apart from the ones I mentioned, they could also feature Fantasia (The Sorcerer's Apprentice), The Lion King, Hercules or Moana.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:31 pm Yes, only Pinocchio and The Princess and the Frog feature a wishing star. I guess they could also use Peter Pan, as you said, or The Rescuers, though nobody actually wishes upon the star in those two films. And the stars are different things in each movie: in Pinocchio, for example, it's the Blue Fairy and in Peter Pan it's Neverland, so I don't know how they would connect these worlds.
And in The Princess and the Frog, the star was Evangeline. I know that was only what Ray believed, but after his death he himself became a star, so who knows? Maybe Evangeline really used to be a firefly too. Also, technically there was wishing on a shooting star in Lilo & Stitch, even though that wasn't a star but Stitch's spaceship crash landing. In any case, it would have been so much simpler and much less tacky instead of the wishing star in Disney movies, the film was about the custom of people making a wish on a star and how it came to be.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Don’t forget Winnie the Pooh when he wished upon a star to see Christopher Robin again in “Pooh’s Grand Adventure: The Search For Christopher Robin” back in 1997 (happy 25th, BTW).
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

In Lion King they talk about the stars being ancestors (and fireflies, in one scene.)

Hmmm ... So in Wish, is the star gonna be Asha's passed away grandmother?

:P
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Just saw Ariana DeBose of Disney’s Wish on the Disney Parks Magical Christmas Day Parade on ABC wish everyone a merry Christmas. So, it looks like Disney is making sure they market Wish well.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:44 am And in The Princess and the Frog, the star was Evangeline. I know that was only what Ray believed, but after his death he himself became a star, so who knows? Maybe Evangeline really used to be a firefly too.
I didn't mention that because it's not made totally clear in the film whether the star is actually Evangeline or not, but yes, it could be her.
Sotiris wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:44 am Also, technically there was wishing on a shooting star in Lilo & Stitch, even though that wasn't a star but Stitch's spaceship crash landing.
That's true; although making a wish when you see a shooting star is something much more common and not that exclusive of Disney films, right?
Sotiris wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:44 am In any case, it would have been so much simpler and much less tacky instead of the wishing star in Disney movies, the film was about the custom of people making a wish on a star and how it came to be.
I totally agree.
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:21 am Don’t forget Winnie the Pooh when he wished upon a star to see Christopher Robin again in “Pooh’s Grand Adventure: The Search For Christopher Robin” back in 1997 (happy 25th, BTW).
I had forgotten about that, but I don't think they'll include references to the DTV sequels; just the official classics.
Warm Regards wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:02 am In Lion King they talk about the stars being ancestors (and fireflies, in one scene.)

Hmmm ... So in Wish, is the star gonna be Asha's passed away grandmother?

:P
The other day when I was searching for stars in Disney films to see if I had forgotten some examples, I saw a theory about The Lion King and The Princess and the Frog being part of the same universe because in both there are characters who supposedly become stars after they die. Who knows, perhaps that's the way they use to connect these films.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm glad Star doesn't speak. That was probably the weakest idea to me to begin with, I thought he would be given some deep male smartalek type of voice. Thankfully not. I prefer pantomime with sidekicks in general, tbh. I would love if they tied into TP&TF with Ray becoming a star--maybe this star is Evangeline. I'd adore that!!

So excited for a villain, too! I got one of those Disney Villains puzzle packs for Christmas, and I like seeing new characters like Dr. Facilier and Mother Gothel mixed in with the characters I grew up with. They deserve a new addition after so long.
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote:So, it looks like Disney is making sure they market Wish well.
This is what I expected. Conversely, they didn't market Strange World at all, they took as little risk with it as possible. I knew they would go all out with Wish in comparison with it being tied to the 100th anniversary. And that was before Iger returned and there became more riding on its success. :dance:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:49 pm I'm glad Star doesn't speak. That was probably the weakest idea to me to begin with, I thought he would be given some deep male smartalek type of voice. Thankfully not. I prefer pantomime with sidekicks in general, tbh. I would love if they tied into TP&TF with Ray becoming a star--maybe this star is Evangeline. I'd adore that!!

So excited for a villain, too! I got one of those Disney Villains puzzle packs for Christmas, and I like seeing new characters like Dr. Facilier and Mother Gothel mixed in with the characters I grew up with. They deserve a new addition after so long.
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote:So, it looks like Disney is making sure they market Wish well.
This is what I expected. Conversely, they didn't market Strange World at all, they took as little risk with it as possible. I knew they would go all out with Wish in comparison with it being tied to the 100th anniversary. And that was before Iger returned and there became more riding on its success. :dance:
Well, Star is allegedly supposed to be non-binary.