Wish

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Wish

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:53 am And just as “The Mitchells vs. the Machines” took its cues from “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” so have other movies outside of the Sony sphere – things like DreamWorks’ “The Bad Guys” and “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish” feature an exaggerated art style and animation that plays with frame rates and staging, and Disney’s upcoming “Wish” applies a similar, hand-painted approach to the visuals.
I just watched Puss in Boots and I didn't care for this style (and frankly didn't care for it in Mitchells and Spider-Verse too), while they look like "cartoon", the movement is weird and rigid. I hope Disney provides something that looks better than those movies did, from that short sneak peek they showed at D23, it doesn't bode well, but perhaps they can improve it. We'll see...
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Farerb wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:57 am
Sotiris wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:53 am And just as “The Mitchells vs. the Machines” took its cues from “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” so have other movies outside of the Sony sphere – things like DreamWorks’ “The Bad Guys” and “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish” feature an exaggerated art style and animation that plays with frame rates and staging, and Disney’s upcoming “Wish” applies a similar, hand-painted approach to the visuals.
I just watched Puss in Boots and I didn't care for this style (and frankly didn't care for it in Mitchells and Spider-Verse too), while they look like "cartoon", the movement is weird and rigid. I hope Disney provides something that looks better than those movies did, from that short sneak peek they showed at D23, it doesn't bode well, but perhaps they can improve it. We'll see...
I don't think I minded it as much in Mitchells vs. the Machines, but I took real issue with this style in Puss in Boots. I thought overall it looked beautiful, but I HATED how choppy the action sequences were. Everything seemed smooth until then, so it looked deliberate. Perhaps comic-book like, so I guess in that was intentional, but I don't think the style looked right in a "fairy tale" film.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

singerguy04 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:04 am
Farerb wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:57 am
I don't think I minded it as much in Mitchells vs. the Machines, but I took real issue with this style in Puss in Boots. I thought overall it looked beautiful, but I HATED how choppy the action sequences were. Everything seemed smooth until then, so it looked deliberate. Perhaps comic-book like, so I guess in that was intentional, but I don't think the style looked right in a "fairy tale" film.
Hopefully they not have action sequences like that in Shrek 5.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I haven't seen Mitchells v. the Machines, The Bad Guys, or Puss in Boots 2 yet (I may never see that last one considering I never saw the first one), but I thought Spider-Verse looked very beautiful at times. Wish would be gorgeous if it managed to have a similar aesthetic. Wish's basic designs are already far better than Sony's designs in Spider-Verse (Asha and the Kingdom of Rosas both are beautiful designs), if it adds the whole "Paperman"-esque aesthetic of Spider-Verse to its already great designs, it'll be gorgeous, imo.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Neither Pixar’s “Elemental” nor Disney Animation’s “Wish” are likely to or need to make $1 billion worldwide to be hits, but grossing over $500 million is probably key. If either film fails to make that mark, the murmurs around whether Disney’s push to prioritize streaming under former CEO Bob Chapek cost them their ability to draw families to theaters will get louder.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/2023-box-office-preview/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

I agree about Elemental, but not on Wish, since it being the big finale film for Disney’s 100th Anniversary and being written and helmed by the team who did Frozen (which is turning 10 years old this year in the same timeframe Wish is coming out) means that this movie could do a billion if marketed well and if it’s great.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It just occurred to me today that the Star looks more like a Sufganiyah than a star:

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Most people have compared it to Luma from the Super Mario Galaxy games.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

This article (https://deadline.com/2023/01/2023-china ... 235214100/) points out analsyts hope Iger smooths things out for Disney with China, now that he's back again. I REALLY hope he doesn't because Bob Chapek undid a lot of Iger's mistakes (like putting Love, Victor back on Disney+ and ending Iger's censorship of LGBTQ content, per Variety in Pixar movies starting with Lightyear, along with having better LGBTQ rep in Strange World) to show he would stand with the LGBTQ community after he initially fumbled yet got rightfully forced into speaking out against DeSantis and the Don't Say Gay bill. I hope Iger has learned not to make this same mistake again when it comes to Disney's Wish, the film from Walt Disney Animation Studios that is the finale to Disney's 100th Anniversary celebration, as it has an LGBTQ character played by an LGBTQ actress Princess Asha (voiced by Ariana DeBose) and a non-binary character in Star the Wishing Star, and if he removes the aspect of those characters to try and get China to release it there so it can make $1B WW like Frozen did, then, I'll be so upset and at my wit's end with anti-Disney cinephiles.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:46 pm It just occurred to me today that the Star looks more like a Sufganiyah than a star:
:lol: Yeah, it's a very chubby star. It's true it looks a bit like the one Sotiris mentioned. Personally, what it reminded me of when I first saw it are the stars in the Silly Symphony Wynken, Blynken and Nod. Mainly because it's a previous example of a sentient star from the studio, but also due to the cute design. The stars in that short look more like fish, though, since Wynken, Blynken and Nod are fishing them in it.

I actually like Star's design. Having a star as a character is one of the few things I liked from the D23 presentation of the film, I guess because a sidekick like this seems very Disney to me.
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:14 pm I hope Iger has learned not to make this same mistake again when it comes to Disney's Wish, the film from Walt Disney Animation Studios that is the finale to Disney's 100th Anniversary celebration, as it has an LGBTQ character played by an LGBTQ actress Princess Asha (voiced by Ariana DeBose) and a non-binary character in Star the Wishing Star, and if he removes the aspect of those characters to try and get China to release it there so it can make $1B WW like Frozen did, then, I'll be so upset and at my wit's end with anti-Disney cinephiles.
Has it been revealed Asha is LGBTQ? I've only heard about one character possibly being non-binary, but not about that.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:07 pm :lol: Yeah, it's a very chubby star. It's true it looks a bit like the one Sotiris mentioned. Personally, what it reminded me of when I first saw it are the stars in the Silly Symphony Wynken, Blynken and Nod. Mainly because it's a previous example of a sentient star from the studio, but also due to the cute design. The stars in that short look more like fish, though, since Wynken, Blynken and Nod are fishing them in it.

I actually like Star's design. Having a star as a character is one of the few things I liked from the D23 presentation of the film, I guess because a sidekick like this seems very Disney to me.
I wonder if they took inspiration from Wynken, Blynken and Nod for this film.

I actually don't mind the Star's design, though to me it's obvious that it's chubby for the plushies, and I agree that a Star is very fitting for a Disney sidekick. As much as I'm worried that this film might eventually turn out to be a Disney fanfic, I actually think this is the first film in a while that actually feels like a Disney film.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I like Star. I think it's really cute and I can already imagine them as a shoulder plush in the parks.

I do think if they were going for "classic Disney" the star would be a bit more human-like. Something ala the Blue Fairy in Pinocchio. But maybe this make more sense when we find out more details about the story. I don't know much, but I was also the impression that Star is the non-binary character. I mean, why does a Star need a gender anyway? It really doesn't.

I think overall, this movie already has more buzz around it than a project like Strange World so that's a pretty good sign it'll perform better. I just hope, like some others have said, that it isn't a mod podge of Disney tropes and can stand on it's own as a film.

Iger will probably help with the Chinese market, but I'm not personally betting too much into them making much of a difference. I think 2023 will prove to be a very interesting year in the Chinese market because Covid is kinda changing how everything works over there. Avatar 2 won one of the coveted release spots over there and is still underperforming expectations. It's hard to say what a year will bring, but I think what we think of regarding a success is something that will have to change. Between covid and streaming, I'm not sure an animated movie can cross the $1B mark anymore like in Frozen II's case.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

singerguy04 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:18 am I like Star. I think it's really cute and I can already imagine them as a shoulder plush in the parks.

I do think if they were going for "classic Disney" the star would be a bit more human-like. Something ala the Blue Fairy in Pinocchio. But maybe this make more sense when we find out more details about the story. I don't know much, but I was also the impression that Star is the non-binary character. I mean, why does a Star need a gender anyway? It really doesn't.

I think overall, this movie already has more buzz around it than a project like Strange World so that's a pretty good sign it'll perform better. I just hope, like some others have said, that it isn't a mod podge of Disney tropes and can stand on it's own as a film.

Iger will probably help with the Chinese market, but I'm not personally betting too much into them making much of a difference. I think 2023 will prove to be a very interesting year in the Chinese market because Covid is kinda changing how everything works over there. Avatar 2 won one of the coveted release spots over there and is still underperforming expectations. It's hard to say what a year will bring, but I think what we think of regarding a success is something that will have to change. Between covid and streaming, I'm not sure an animated movie can cross the $1B mark anymore like in Frozen II's case.
Yet Minions 2 was $60M away from $1BWW.

Also Avatar 2 may be underperforming in China, but it’s still gonna make $2B WW for James Cameron’s sake and it has been granted an additional 30 days in China to make more money.
Last edited by D23ExpoVisitor25 on Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

D82 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:07 pm
Farerb wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:46 pm It just occurred to me today that the Star looks more like a Sufganiyah than a star:
:lol: Yeah, it's a very chubby star. It's true it looks a bit like the one Sotiris mentioned. Personally, what it reminded me of when I first saw it are the stars in the Silly Symphony Wynken, Blynken and Nod. Mainly because it's a previous example of a sentient star from the studio, but also due to the cute design. The stars in that short look more like fish, though, since Wynken, Blynken and Nod are fishing them in it.

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:14 pm I hope Iger has learned not to make this same mistake again when it comes to Disney's Wish, the film from Walt Disney Animation Studios that is the finale to Disney's 100th Anniversary celebration, as it has an LGBTQ character played by an LGBTQ actress Princess Asha (voiced by Ariana DeBose) and a non-binary character in Star the Wishing Star, and if he removes the aspect of those characters to try and get China to release it there so it can make $1B WW like Frozen did, then, I'll be so upset and at my wit's end with anti-Disney cinephiles.
Has it been revealed Asha is LGBTQ? I've only heard about one character possibly being non-binary, but not about that.
Asha being LGBTQ was reported by Grace Randolph and (I think) also Skyler Shuler.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

From what I remember, Grace Randolph said there'll be a LGBTQ character, she didn't say who.

I don't know what Skyler said but most of what he says is false. He literally said this movie's name is Foster, which doesn't seem to be correct and in fact was a cancelled Blue Sky movie.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Guys, keep in mind, this is Grace Randolph we're talking about. How often is she actually right?
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Avaitor wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:59 pm Guys, keep in mind, this is Grace Randolph we're talking about. How often is she actually right?
50/50
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:01 am I wonder if they took inspiration from Wynken, Blynken and Nod for this film.
I think they probably did, at least it may have given them the idea of having a star as a character.
Farerb wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:01 am I actually don't mind the Star's design, though to me it's obvious that it's chubby for the plushies, and I agree that a Star is very fitting for a Disney sidekick. As much as I'm worried that this film might eventually turn out to be a Disney fanfic, I actually think this is the first film in a while that actually feels like a Disney film.
Well, the character designs at least are a return to the classic Disney style. I like Asha's design too, though I would've preferred it was a little less generic and less similar to Isabella and Esmeralda. The color scheme and the fact that she has a goat as a pet reminds me especially of the latter.

The aspects I'm not convinced by are the story details we've learned so far, the fact that they want to explain the origin of the wishing star, that it could interconnect different Disney movies or the non-photorealistic rendering. We still know very little about the movie, though; perhaps it will all work better than it seems now. I hope so.
Farerb wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:09 am From what I remember, Grace Randolph said there'll be a LGBTQ character, she didn't say who.
That's what I remember too. Here's the moment where she said that. I haven't watched many of her videos lately, though; just the ones about the box office. Perhaps she has given new details.
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:54 am Asha being LGBTQ was reported by Grace Randolph and (I think) also Skyler Shuler.
Do you happen to have a link to any of them saying that?
Avaitor wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:59 pm Guys, keep in mind, this is Grace Randolph we're talking about. How often is she actually right?
Well, she was right about Lightyear and Strange World having LGBT characters in supporting roles. In the case of Strange World, I believe she even said it would be Ethan. So, I think there's actually a high chance she's right about Wish too.
singerguy04 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:18 am I don't know much, but I was also the impression that Star is the non-binary character. I mean, why does a Star need a gender anyway? It really doesn't.
Yeah, especially if it doesn't even talk, as it's the case here.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm not sure if they'd have a LGBT protagonist in the very next film after Strange World though, but who knows. Ariana Debose makes me think it isn't impossible, simply because the characters these days imitate their voice actors to the point most WDAS / PIXAR films feel like live-action films that have been put through an animated translator rather than a character being built from the ground up on their own and then having a voice actor chosen to fit them as in the old days before Lasseter / PIXAR. And, tbh, if they're legitimately for LGBT characters now, they should put one in a film they actually plan to advertise that on paper is a hit like Wish versus something that looked like a flop from the word go that's not a genre they've ever had success with like Strange World.

And I suppose we should also give them kudos for finally taking a chance with a Black protagonist again (biracial, I know), since they really only have TP&TF from 14 years ago.... It's interesting to me that there have been more Latino and/or Asian protagonists in a shorter amount of time even though I think African Americans are a much larger demo in the U.S....? Since it's still up in the air if there will be a romance (straight or LGBT), I guess there may still be no first Black prince character here though. At least I think Naveen was called "European" or something, and there was some kind of controversy around it back when that they didn't depict a Black prince?

I also think the star is cute. :D
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I always thought Naveen was an Indian Prince. (I know a couple guys from India who have that name, but they spell it Navin.)

I guess if Naveen is supposed to be from Europe, he’s what I call “generic Mediterranean”. He could be Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Greek or even Lebanese or Arabic.