Wish

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Wish

Post by Farerb »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:06 am Well, Star is allegedly supposed to be non-binary.
But how will we know the Star is non-binary if they don't talk?
With 22 we had them say they're neither male nor female, just use the voice of a middle aged woman just to annoy people.
To me it feels like it's just going to be for marketing but the movie won't actually do anything, and I mean the Star being non-binary that doesn't even talk doesn't really feel like a genuine representation.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I guess they're non-binary in the sense that they are androgynous rather than given a clear gender in their design.

Some might say you couldn't make a star look gendered anyway, but, well, anything can be gendered in their design if they try. Look at the male and female volcanoes in that PIXAR short before Inside Out, for example. Making them gender-less is a design choice as much as those are.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

When it comes to design, genderless or neutral characters tend to look male. I wouldn't be surprised if people end up perceiving the star as a male character.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Walt Disney Animation Studios’ upcoming animated feature film Wish premieres November 22, exclusively in theaters. The epic animated musical, directed by Chris Buck and Fawn Veerasunthorn, is inspired by the studios’ legacy of films. The film is set in Rosas, the kingdom of wishes where wishes can literally come true. Asha (voiced by Ariana DeBose) is a 17-year-old optimist with a sharp wit who cares endlessly about her community. In a moment of desperation, Asha makes an impassioned plea to the stars, which is answered by a cosmic force, a little ball of boundless energy called Star. Together, they face the most formidable of foes to save her community and prove that when the will of one courageous human connects with the magic of the stars, wondrous things can happen. Wish also includes Disney Animation’s good-luck-charm Alan Tudyk as the voice of a goat named Valentino, and showstopping original songs penned by Julia Michaels.
Source: https://d23.com/every-disney-moment-wer ... o-in-2023/
On November 22, Walt Disney Animation Studios will debut Wish, an original animated story with all-new characters, plus original music by Julia Michaels. From the teams that created the Frozen films, Wish is inspired by the Studios’ legacy of storytelling and explores how the star that so many Disney characters wished upon came to be.
Source: https://d23.com/disney-to-celebrate-100 ... y-in-2023/
2023 is Walt Disney Studios’ 100th year. And of course Walt Disney Animation Studios, the crown jewel of its entire sprawling media empire, is going to do something to celebrate. “Wish” is that celebration, the origin story of the wishing star, which has been seen in countless Disney animated projects. So far the only description of the film came courtesy of 2022’s D23 Expo, where directors Chris Buck and Fawn Veerasunthorn were on hand to discuss the upcoming project alongside co-writer (and head of WDAS) Jennifer Lee. Ariana DeBose stars as a 17-year-old girl in the Kingdom of Wishes who makes a plea to the heavens and is saddled with the wishing star, who in the film is a fully anthropomorphic (but non-verbal) character. Together they go on a quest to stop a growing evil in the kingdom. Julia Michael is writing the songs for the new musical and at D23 DeBose performed one of them (“More for Us”) that brought the house down. Perhaps most excitingly is the fact that the film will utilize a unique visual aesthetic, combining 3D computer animation with watercolor-ish brushstrokes. Considering they’ve been attempting to create a feature-length film in this style since “Tangled,” there must have been some considerable breakthroughs. In other words: their wish was granted.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/most-anticipate ... s-of-2023/
For the 100th year of Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios wanted to do something special. That’s why they’re releasing “Wish,” a classical fairy tale, this year. Centered around the origins of the wishing star (which we have seen countless Disney protagonists gaze upon in earlier animated movies) and employing a painterly animation style that still is very much 3D, “Wish” looks to be the next Disney animated classic. Directed by Chris Buck (the “Frozen” films) and Fawn Veerasunthorn, the movie stars recent Oscar winner Ariana DeBose as our hero Asha and Alan Tudyk as the voice of an adorable goat (the wishing star is actually anthropomorphized but doesn’t speak), with songs by Julia Michaels and a script co-written by “Frozen” filmmaker and WDAS chief creative officer Jennifer Lee.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/new-animated-mo ... ticipated/
And just as “The Mitchells vs. the Machines” took its cues from “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” so have other movies outside of the Sony sphere – things like DreamWorks’ “The Bad Guys” and “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish” feature an exaggerated art style and animation that plays with frame rates and staging, and Disney’s upcoming “Wish” applies a similar, hand-painted approach to the visuals.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/sony-pictures-a ... der-verse/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

If she's 17 years old, that means she won't have a love interest.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, it`s nice to get a little more information with the new synopsis, despite how it`s still rather sparse. But at least we know that the film is going to be epic and that Asha is a optimist with a sharp wit. And it`s remarkable how the new synopsis only credits Alan Tudyk and actually labels him as Disney`s good-luck-charm :P. But since it`s been mentioned to be inspired by by the studios’ legacy of films, it makes me wonder if this will be a crossover universe, after all.
Sotiris wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:29 amBesides, people tend to call Disney female characters princesses regardless if they are royalty in their respective films or not.
True. People have a tendency to call a Disney heroine a Princess for the archetype, despite how they`re not actually Princesses. It`s a shallow statement, but it`s a common one. Even in the Renaissance the non-Royal were referred as Princesses to a degree.
Farerb wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:05 pmIf she's 17 years old, that means she won't have a love interest.
Really? Remember that Princesses who were younger than 17 (Snow White, Aurora and Ariel) had love interests.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:05 pmIf she's 17 years old, that means she won't have a love interest.
Did anyone expect otherwise? Even if she were an adult she still wouldn't get a male love interest because that's not considered progressive or feminist anymore. The same goes for a lead having dreams or goals that are not centered around her family and/or community.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

DisneyFan09 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:44 pm Really? Remember that Princesses who were younger than 17 (Snow White, Aurora and Ariel) had love interests.
That was then. Now we're in a time where Disney won't allow an underage girl to be in a relationship in order not to risk criticism of teaching girls to be obsessed with romance at a young age.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:15 pmThat was then. Now we're in a time where Disney won't allow an underage girl to be in a relationship in order not to risk criticism of teaching girls to be obsessed with romance at a young age.
True, although that isn't really based on reality, is it? Teenage girls are very much interested in romance and it's a normal part of growing up. Why is Disney OK with Pixar having a female lead who's literally obsessed with a bunch of boys, but not with WDAS having a female lead that shows any interest in romance? Seems like a double standard to me. Besides, it's not necessary to have her focused on finding romantic love or show her getting married by the end of the movie. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Farerb wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:05 pm If she's 17 years old, that means she won't have a love interest.
I don't know about that since Asha is allegedly supposed to be an LGBTQ character in the movie.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The problem with romance is probably specifically related to how the Disney Princess line is perceived; any Disney Princess film is likely to receive criticism of that aspect in a different way than other films that are unrelated, like Turning Red or Elemental.

I totally get their purpose in making more films with female protagonists who aren't romance-driven for the line to have variety and avoid that stigma--same way they want there to be more princesses of color--but I feel like they can give us a princess with a romance every once in a while at least. They've been offering a lot of princess characters without it at this point that it's not like romance is the only thing the Princess line is associated with anymore, so it's not as big of deal as it was maybe 15 years ago.

At least this film will have a straight villain, the first in 13 years.... In comparison, the last WDAS film with romance was Frozen II three years ago, where Anna and Kristoff get married. Didn't Ralph and Yaaas in Ralph Breaks the Internet have some vaguely romantic air to them, too? Anyway, I wonder if the villain may have some momentary interaction with villains like Maleficent, Ursula, Hades, etc.? I wish Pat Carroll hadn't passed away this past year, if so, but I know it's inevitable they will have to find a replacement for Ursula eventually considering how TLM will receive content forevermore and all. I hope they can find someone as good for her as whoever voices Maleficent these days is.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

We have confirmation the animation will just be stylized CG.

From Total Film magazine.

From the Instagram account of Kee Suong, an effects animator working on the film.

D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

So... like the Disney short Paperman, basically.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

For what it's worth this movie's been worked on since before this past January: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235076391/.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:36 pmSo... like the Disney short Paperman, basically.
No. Disney used the software Maender for Papaerman. For this, they are using Hyperion for character animation and Houdini for effects animation which are the same software they always use for their CG films. Also, Paperman had some, albeit limited, 2D animation and drawings make it into the final product. It was essentially a more refined type of cel-shading because the filmmakers wanted a sketch-like look. Wish uses non-photoresalistic rendering to achieve a more painterly look. 2D animation and drawings are not part of it. The movie is going to look like the animation tests you saw at the D23 Expo.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here's a recording that shows some parts of the D23 presentation of Wish we hadn't seen.

Sotiris wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:34 pm From the Instagram account of Kee Suong, an effects animator working on the film.
The fact that that artist doesn't know what country the movie is inspired by I think is another indication it's not set in a specific place but a combination of several of them. Who knows, perhaps, like Strange World, is not even set in our planet. That's actually the first impression I got, but most likely it's just a fantasy kingdom in our world.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

He says "one of the most formidable foes in Disney history" which I'm not sure if he means that she's up against one of the foes in previous films (like D82 said) or a foe they think we'll be one of the most formidable (like they thought Splat will be an iconic sidekick :roll: ).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:14 pmThe fact that that artist doesn't know what country the movie is inspired by I think is another indication it's not set in a specific place but a combination of several of them.
When it's a combination of places, it's usually based on countries that are in close proximity and have many cultural similarities. That doesn't seem to be the case here. All other characters so far have Spanish-sounding names and the architecture of the place looks European too. The only one who stands out is Asha. Her name, hairstyle, and outfit don't read European at all. I suppose we need to see what the other characters look like first, but I was thinking maybe Asha is an immigrant or the child of immigrants or has one parent who came from outside the Kingdom of Rosas. That way Asha could be biracial, the same way her voice actress is. I think that would make more sense than having a setting that's a hodgepodge of various disparate cultures with no rhyme or reason to it.
Farerb wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:51 amHe says "one of the most formidable foes in Disney history" which I'm not sure if he means that she's up against one of the foes in previous films (like D82 said) or a foe they think we'll be one of the most formidable (like they thought Splat will be an iconic sidekick :roll: ).
It's probably the latter. I still have my doubts whether there will be an actual villain here and not some generic evil power that's threatening the kingdom or an antagonist who's misunderstood and ultimately redeemed.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:21 amAll other characters so far have Spanish-sounding names and the architecture of the place looks European too.
Valentino sounds somewhere between Spanish and Italian, though.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Either way, both languages are derived from Latin and have many similarities. My point is all the other names are European except the name Asha. That can't be a coincidence.