Wish

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Wish

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:59 pm The aspects I'm not convinced by are the story details we've learned so far, the fact that they want to explain the origin of the wishing star, that it could interconnect different Disney movies or the non-photorealistic rendering. We still know very little about the movie, though; perhaps it will all work better than it seems now. I hope so.
Same.

By the way, I was thinking about what I said previously, about how the movie might be about immigrants facing deportation, and it made me wonder if this was actually the movie Carlos López Estrada was working on since this might be a personal topic for him, cause I just assumed his movie got shelved but perhaps that wasn't the case.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Several books based on the movie are now listed on Amazon. All of them have the same synopsis we have already heard except the last three, which don't reveal much new info, but one of them is about Valentino the goat and one "is told from the perspective of a character close to Asha". Here are the links to the books and the new book descriptions:

Disney Wish Little Golden Book
Disney Wish: The Junior Novelization
Disney Wish: The Deluxe Junior Novelization
Disney Wish Step into Reading, Step 2
Disney Wish Step into Reading, Step 3
Disney Wish Pictureback
Wish Picture Book
Wish Middle Grade Novel
Disney Wish Ultimate Sticker Book

Based on Wish, Walt Disney Animation Studio’s Fall 2023 feature film, this middle grade novel follows the events of the movie told from the unique perspective of a character close to the story's heroine, Asha.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1368093647/ref=sr_1_5
Inspired by Disney's Wish, this brightly illustrated and enchanting picture book features an original story about Valentino the goat.

This original story features Valentino the goat and and an array of characters from Wish.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1368093655/ref=sr_1_4
Follow Princess Asha and her goat Valentino on an epic starlit adventure in Disney’s Wish with this book packed with stickers.

This fun activity sticker book features images and artwork from Disney’s movie Wish. Wish upon a star and celebrate Disney’s 100th year with all the key characters, locations, and moments and relieve the movie magic with more than 100 stickers.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0744086450/ref=sr_1_6

Farerb wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:30 pm By the way, I was thinking about what I said previously, about how the movie might be about immigrants facing deportation, and it made me wonder if this was actually the movie Carlos López Estrada was working on since this might be a personal topic for him, cause I just assumed his movie got shelved but perhaps that wasn't the case.
Asha seeing "a darkness in the kingdom that nobody else does" makes me think the problem she has to face could be something supernatural, but I guess it could also be something like what you said. Anyway, I too have been wondering if Wish could be the movie Carlos López Estrada was going to direct and I think it's possible it is. One thing that makes me suspect that is that the main character is Afro-Latina (or at least it looks like she is), as well as the fact that Chris Buck is one of the directors. Well, maybe he wanted to do something new that wasn't related to Frozen, but I get the impression he might have come to the movie's rescue after there were problems with it and Carlos left or Jennifer Lee replaced him. If it's an immigrant story, that could be another indication it's the same film. We'll see. Maybe we'll learn whether it is or not from some interview when the filmmakers start doing press for the movie.
carolinakid wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:01 pm I always thought Naveen was an Indian Prince. (I know a couple guys from India who have that name, but they spell it Navin.)

I guess if Naveen is supposed to be from Europe, he’s what I call “generic Mediterranean”. He could be Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Greek or even Lebanese or Arabic.
According to Wikipedia, Naveen is an Indian name that can be spelled Naveen or Navin. Do they say in the movie he's from Europe? I don't remember if they do. Well, it's true the name of Maldonia seems to be a combination of Malta and Macedonia, so the fictional kingdom could be located in Southeast Europe. I think people have darker skin in European countries like Turkey, Armenia or Azerbaijan, but I don't know if they're as dark skinned as he is. He looks more like someone from India or near that region to me too. Curiously, his voice actor is Brazilian, so he's not even from the same continent as the character.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

One of the books referring to the protagonist as "Princess Asha" changed my mind and now I'm more inclined to believe she might actually be a princess in the film itself. However, given Asha's peasant look and pet, she won't be one at the beginning of the film. I think she will become a princess somehow by the end, just not by marriage. Will it be by magic? Will she turn out to be royal by blood after all? Will this title be her reward for saving the kingdom? Her status as a princess may even pertain to a spoiler and may not be revealed during the film's marketing campaign.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Interesting that there are already books so early. Perhaps this time they'll start marketing the film in March or April instead of July.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Farerb wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:22 am Interesting that there are already books so early. Perhaps this time they'll start marketing the film in March or April instead of July.
I'd bet we get the first teaser trailer with The Super Mario Bros Movie.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:49 pm One of the books referring to the protagonist as "Princess Asha" changed my mind and now I'm more inclined to believe she might actually be a princess in the film itself. However, given Asha's peasant look and pet, she won't be one at the beginning of the film. I think she will become a princess somehow by the end, just not by marriage. Will it be by magic? Will she turn out to be royal by blood after all? Will this title be her reward for saving the kingdom? Her status as a princess may even pertain to a spoiler and may not be revealed during the film's marketing campaign.
Even though I posted it and read the book description, I didn't notice they referred to her as a princess there! Unless someone made a mistake, this is confirmation she'll be a princess in the movie. If Disney has no problem revealing that in a book description, I don't think it'll be treated as a spoiler. It's true though that she's dressed as a peasant and a goat is not a typical pet for a princess, so perhaps you're right she won't be one at the beginning of the movie. At D23 they said Asha "cares endlessly about her community" and that she's "a leader in the making, even if she doesn't know it yet", which seems to imply she'll become a leader by the end of the film. But, if she ended up being the ruler of the kingdom, wouldn't she be named queen instead of princess? One thing that occurs to me is that she may be a legitimate princess but someone stole his father or mother's throne and they become peasants, but she'll help her family regain it by the end.
Farerb wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:22 am Interesting that there are already books so early. Perhaps this time they'll start marketing the film in March or April instead of July.
I think this is not unusual. From what I remember, the first books for the Little Mermaid remake appeared online last summer, almost a year before the film's release. The first Elemental books also popped up long ago.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

So I started thinking about the villain. We've heard it be referenced as a darkness and also as an actual person. Perhaps it's someone seen as a hero by everyone else, but Asha discovers their evil true intentions. Maybe, not unlike how our own government works sometimes, the kingdom views an action as something positive but it has negative long term effect that Asha can see. I'm thinking of historical events like the Trail of Tears. Now it's recognized as a negative event, but at the time the majority of the country was behind it and didn't have a problem. It kind of seems like the commentary the company would make right now...
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

One of the things I hope they don't do here is start the film with narration. Not that starting a film with narration is necessarily bad, but they have done this so much at this point (and more recently they feel the need to establish who the narrator is) that it just feels lazy to me. There are more creative ways to start a film in my opinion and I hope they can find one for this film.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I keep forgetting Stodolny is at WDAS! I still think of him as a DreamWorks guy. :P

Otherwise, it gives me hope to see the animators so happy to be working on the film. It's impossible to say how the movie will turn out, but I'm glad the crew are enthusiastic about it.
DEEcat98

Post by DEEcat98 »

I'm exited for Wish! It's going to be a very special and really great movie! ^-^
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DEEcat98 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:09 am I'm exited for Wish! It's going to be a very special and really great movie! ^-^
I agree. This film looks beautiful in the concept art. Usually when I like a film early like this, I end up enjoying its finished release (TP&TF and Raya were the two I went in excited for, and I loved both). I hope the same will be true with WishI!
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I really hope Disney intends to release the first teaser trailer with The Little Mermaid in May. Considering both films should appeal to the same demographics, they'll be idiots not to do that.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:25 am I really hope Disney intends to release the first teaser trailer with The Little Mermaid in May. Considering both films should appeal to the same demographics, they'll be idiots not to do that.
Unfortunately, you may be more likely to see it with Elemental since Disney Animation debuts their teaser trailers before Pixar's movies.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The fact that the Lopezes are back for Frozen III made me once again wonder why they aren't doing this film. I wonder if their price is too high that Disney isn't willing to pay it for original projects but will do it for Frozen sequels.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:25 am The fact that the Lopezes are back for Frozen III made me once again wonder why they aren't doing this film. I wonder if their price is too high that Disney isn't willing to pay it for original projects but will do it for Frozen sequels.
Perhaps.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

It could also be that Frozen III has been in production longer than we know of it. WDAS often has multiple productions in their pipeline that we either hear of or we don't officially. Kristen Bell sort of leaked it a few years ago, so maybe the Lopezes and cast were already tied into this, and no one could confirm officially until Iger said so on the earnings call.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

She leaked it last June.

I also believe Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee are still busy with Wish, though we know that Josh Gad already started recording so who knows?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I think the only reason they aren't writing the songs for Wish is because the protagonist is an Afro-Latina and Disney specifically wanted a Latina songwriter for diversity and inclusion purposes.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage