Wish

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Wish

Post by Disney's Divinity »

What a gorgeous design! Like a mix of Pocahontas and Isabela from Encanto. Interesting story details....who knows how this will go. I agree, the whole "princess facing an encroaching darkness problem" is growing old. The focus on wishing stars at least suits a sort of Disney conceit and I'm very happy they're at least doing something hand drawn-esque. WDAS and PIXAR are being so much more adventurous now Lee and Docter are running things, the future is wide open.

I haven't been able to listen to the song yet, but DeBose?? Good choice. I like Julia Michaels, but can't help feel she's an odd choice for a musical. Maybe if this was going to be more like Tarzan, where the songs simply play in the background.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm really glad they at least revealed the character design and we don't have to wait until two months before the film is released, hoping there's some merchandise leak and we get to know the characters through some ugly toys.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Farerb wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:24 pm People that were at the presentation said that it felt like Disney's trying to do the same style as Into the Spider-Verse.
During the song presentation they played a snippet of animation in the background. Animation on the clothing definitely feels Spider-verse -esque.

Quality of image is low - only version I could see on social media was cropped - but I'm sure an HD copy of the full screen will pop up eventually.

Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Farerb wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:51 amhoping there's some merchandise leak and we get to know the characters through some ugly toys.
:lol:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:49 pm Laughing Place seems to be the only ones mentioning Dua; I think Julia worked with Dua previously so maybe LP is mistaken.
Disney's Twitter just mentions Julia so LP must've been mistaken.

https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimation/sta ... FfwgU_fx_w
blackcauldron85

This video shows the full screen behind Ariana so we can see the brief clip and the concept art:

https://youtu.be/IEqK22dNcpg

Is this footage from the film or like a proof of concept? My husband thinks the style looks like the Netflix show Arcane.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

For the love of God and all that is holy, stop with these generic one word titles. I guess Stardust was already taken? 😁 Nothing about the title makes me intrigued about the plot. Even something like The Quest (also generic) would give it more of an adventurous/mythical feel. The animation looks a bit jerky and lagging from that little snippet (maybe it's still WIP), but I welcome the return of 2D-look in any form.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Ok, so I haven't yet shared my reaction here, besides a laugh emoji directed at farerb's comment.

Based on the premise I am disappointed. I really do hope the film is significantly more interesting than what has been revealed, and in truth, I am quite faithful it will turn out that way. (I guess I am more optimistic than our two Dutchmen, robster and Patrick in that regard. :P )

I am concerned that this new glut of princess musicals will soon get stale (or rather, is already stale!) I trust WDAS will find a way to truly distinguish this from Encanto, Frozen II, Moana, Frozen and Tangled.

I am excited that this will be a graphical departure for WDAS! Even if the character designs are very much in the style of the recent CG features, the watercolour aesthetic has me intrigued.

Mooky, I noticed the choppy animation too, but I believe that is intentional and not due to its being a work in progress. Seems like it will be following in the footsteps of Spiderverse and DreamWorks' new Puss in Boots film in that regard.

Oh ... and a question:

Is this the project that Carlos Lopez Estrada left behind, or was that something else? :?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:55 pmWhat a gorgeous design! Like a mix of Pocahontas and Isabela from Encanto.
Haha, I knew it! I knew the Pocahontas comparison would come! Despite how she looks more like Isabela, in my opinion. But yeah, I don`t mind her design. I still wonder which country this movie is taking place in.
Jules wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:53 amI am concerned that this new glut of princess musicals will soon get stale (or rather, is already stale!) I trust WDAS will find a way to truly distinguish this from Encanto, Frozen II, Moana, Frozen and Tangled.
I don`t mind a new female-centered musical at all! It`s the bread and butter of the studio and something that they are built upon. Their greatest movies are essentially musicals, so therefore I don`t mind them. After all, it`s not as Disney are as homogenous as they were in the Renaissance and made almost every feature a musical (sorry to those who likes the Renaissance). So therefore we can have a female centered musical sandwhiched in between.
Thanks for posting them, D82! :) It`s a pity that the test footage was never recorded. So according to one of the videos, Asha is seventeen, huh?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Mooky wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:29 am For the love of God and all that is holy, stop with these generic one word titles. I guess Stardust was already taken? 😁
Yes, I wish (ha) that this had a better title.

I'll take a hundred princess films over things like WIR that look like garbage. Now when they decide to start making male-lead films on level with Aladdin, The Lion King, Tarzan, Hercules, etc. again, films that weren't afraid to use color and be pretty at times (as if a colorful movie is anti-masculine or something now :lol: ), then I'll be all aboard. It's sort of interesting to me. Since they're really pushing having female characters who aren't passive and romance-centered and so on, I wish they would finally start treating male characters (and films they make geared to male viewers) less stereotypically. As far as I know, almost every male child of my generation loved the Lion King even though it was visually gorgeous and featured musical numbers. How that could be when Disneycorp says those things repulse little boys??? :roll: The same way they think these days that "musical" = girls only. That's such backwards garbage.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

DisneyFan09 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:06 pm Thanks for posting them, D82! :) It`s a pity that the test footage was never recorded. So according to one of the videos, Asha is seventeen, huh?
You're welcome! :) Yeah, it would've been great to have been able to see the test footage. At least, we got a little glimpse on that screen behind Ariana DeBose, as Warm Regards pointed out.

Here's another video featuring a little bit more of the presentation and some interviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fjEXmp98Zs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUb23F1KyHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1vippHdheA
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

well Im happy we're getting another folklore fantasy themed film but the story sounds really generic, like a cross between Encanto and Raya(I bet the star character will be another Genie/Maui/Sisu magical sidekick). Also I like her design but Im really curious when/where this takes place and I really hope its not yet another mishmash fantasy setting but I have a feeling it will be. From the architecture(and Im no expert) the setting seems like the ancient world, like in the middle east or Mediterranean? The goat's name says med, her dress and hairstyle and long dress Ive seen similar stuff in a lot of ancient art from the med/middle east. IIl have to do some googling. :?

Im also happy about them finally utilizing a 2d/cgi hybrid animation technique for a feature length film. Hey better late than never Disney! but seriously what an embarrassment to be late to the party with this, beaten by both Sony and Dreamworks? :roll: And please dont let it have a low frame rate, that was the one thing I hated about the animation in Spider-man: ITSV.
blackcauldron85

D82 wrote: Yeah, it would've been great to have been able to see the test footage. At least, we got a little glimpse on that screen behind Ariana DeBose, as Warm Regards pointed out.
Starting at 1:48 on this video, you can see the full screen and the animation:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:45 pm Starting at 1:48 on this video, you can see the full screen and the animation:
Yes, it's true. There you can see it better. Maybe it's the video quality, but the style of animation doesn't look good to me there.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

robster16 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:10 pm I hate to keep repeating myself but… yet another “a girl senses a darkness in her kingdom and goes on a quest to try and save her people” storyline. How many times can they keep making the same movie over and over again?
This formula has been used so much at Disney that other studios are starting to copy it. Skydance's Spellbound is using it too. Here, the fact Asha is seeing things others don't makes it more similar to Encanto than anything else.
DisneyFan09 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:24 pmThe whole premise seems totally Pixar-esque, even down to another adjective title. But the tile and the logo is awfully generic and vague.
I don't like the title either. Like you said, it's very Pixar-esque. Plus the name is already taken by a Disney cruise ship. They should have just called it the name of the protagonist. Interestingly, Pixar has started doing just that with Luca and Elio. I agree about the logo too. It's very plain and the placement of the star at the top of the 'S' makes it look like a fuse. It should have been used as a tittle and placed above the 'I'.
Farerb wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:28 pmThe premise of the movie is a little bit weird considering that only two movies in the whole canon have characters wishing upon a star, and I don't think it's really interesting to learn the mechanics of it, kind of ruins the fantasy.
Yeah, the origin of the wishing star is not something that needed explaining. The fact it's about the wishing star in Disney movies specifically and not about how people came to wish on stars in general makes it worse. Are they trying to make a cinematic universe out of Disney films? Theories that connect movies unrelated to one another are nothing more than fanfiction and WDAS shouldn't be giving credence to them. What's next? Are we going to get the origin of the wishing well too? It reminds me of what they did in Ralph Breaks the Internet where they took a common visual element like characters looking into water during their songs and made into a "thing" when there was never actually such intent. The wishing star hasn't even been used that much in Disney canon. As you've said, only a couple of movies show a character wishing on a star. The fact Chris Buck said there will be lots of Easter eggs from past Disney movies in the film worries me even more. This seems like pure fancervice, something the studio should not be engaging in.
D82 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:32 pm Here's the full song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekb33F_62Js
I didn't like the song at all. It's so dull and unmemorable, it's like it was created by AI. Like someone put in "generic Broadway ballad #734" and this is what came out. It's even more forgettable than "Waiting for a Miracle".
Farerb wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:42 pmIt's interesting that after 10 years they are finally bringing someone new to do the songs, though looking at her biography, it doesn't seem that she has experience with musicals.
Do you know who would have been perfect to do the songs for the 100 Years movie?? :roll:
I had no delusions that Menken was ever going to get another WDAS musical, but I'm surprised they aren't using the Lopezes or LMM. Getting someone new and someone so inexperienced with musical theater at that, tells me they really wanted a Latina to be the songwriter for this project.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:55 pm What a gorgeous design! Like a mix of Pocahontas and Isabela from Encanto.
I love how she looks too. Finally, some good character designs from Disney again. We haven't had those since Raya. That comparison is apt, but I think she looks much better than Isabela. The publicity still is really pretty too and reminds me of the first still they released for The Princess and the Frog.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:55 pmI haven't been able to listen to the song yet, but DeBose?? Good choice.
I agree about DeBose. I'm glad they got someone with a really good, trained voice and who is experienced with musical theater. The voice actresses for Moana and Mirabel were not as refined.
Mooky wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:29 am For the love of God and all that is holy, stop with these generic one word titles. I guess Stardust was already taken?
I get the feeling they wanted to call this The Star but it was already taken by another animated movie.
Mooky wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:29 am The animation looks a bit jerky and lagging from that little snippet (maybe it's still WIP), but I welcome the return of 2D-look in any form.
I noticed that too about the animation and I don't believe the footage shown was unfinished. I think it looks that way because of the non-photorealistic rendering. There's nothing 2D about it, by the way. An artist who's working on it confirmed this is stylized CG and that they are using Hyperion, which is their usual rendering software, not Maender. I'm certain the final product will have no drawing involved whatsoever.
unprincess wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:23 pm well Im happy we're getting another folklore fantasy themed film but the story sounds really generic, like a cross between Encanto and Raya(I bet the star character will be another Genie/Maui/Sisu magical sidekick). Also I like her design but Im really curious when/where this takes place and I really hope its not yet another mishmash fantasy setting but I have a feeling it will be. From the architecture(and Im no expert) the setting seems like the ancient world, like in the middle east or Mediterranean? The goat's name says med, her dress and hairstyle and long dress Ive seen similar stuff in a lot of ancient art from the med/middle east.
Well, it's been confirmed the film is set in the fictional Kingdom of Rosas, so I think it's going to be another cultural hodgepodge of some sort. The strange thing about the kingdom is it's being translated as the Kingdom of Wishes in the press, but rosas means roses, not wishes in Spanish. :?

I assumed because the protagonist is voiced by DeBose who is Afro-Latina, the character will also be Afro-Latina. However, the name Asha is not Spanish or African in origin. It's Sanskrit. And while the name exists in various countries in Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, it only means "wish" in Sanskrit. In Swahili, it means "life". In Arabic, it means "alive and well". Is Asha supposed to be South Asian/Indian or Afro-Latina? The name of her pet goat Valentino is definitely Spanish which makes things even more confusing.
D82 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:08 pm Maybe it's the video quality, but the style of animation doesn't look good to me there.
It doesn't look good to me either. It looks more like Puss in Boots 2 than Spider-Verse. I wonder why they keep saying it has a watercolor aesthetic when it looks nothing like watercolor.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:54 pm Yeah, the origin of the wishing star is not something that needed explaining. The fact it's about the wishing star in Disney movies specifically and not about how people came to wish on stars in general makes it worse. Are they trying to make a cinematic universe out of Disney films? Theories that connect movies unrelated to one another are nothing more than fanfiction and WDAS shouldn't be giving credence to them. What's next? Are we going to get the origin of the wishing well too? It reminds me of what they did in Ralph Breaks the Internet where they took a common visual element like characters looking into water during their songs and made into a "thing" when there was never actually such intent. The wishing star hasn't even been used that much in Disney canon. As you've said, only a couple of movies show a character wishing on a star. The fact Chris Buck said there will be lots of Easter eggs from past Disney movies in the film worries me even more. This seems like pure fancervice, something the studio should not be engaging in.
I agree, I'm not a fan of his easter eggs comment too. What I'm imagining is that the star will take Asha on a journey and they'll see how the stars have helped previous Disney characters or whatever.
Thinking about this premise even more, isn't the wishing star in Pinocchio literally the Blue Fairy? How does she fit into all of this?
Sotiris wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:54 pm I didn't like the song at all. It's so dull and unmemorable, it's like it was created by AI. Like someone put in "generic Broadway ballad #734" and this is what came out. It's even more forgettable than "Waiting for a Miracle".
I've been trying to listen to the song a few more times and really doesn't do anything for me, it's like it doesn't have any emotional weight or catharsis.
Sotiris wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:54 pm I had no delusions that Menken was ever going to get another WDAS musical, but I'm surprised they aren't using the Lopezes or LMM. Getting someone new and someone so inexperienced with musical theater at that, tells me they really wanted a Latina to be the songwriter for this project.
I really don't understand why the Lopezes aren't attached to it considering that they have worked with Buck and Lee before. Kristen also hinted that they're doing the 2023 film, but maybe that was Estrada's film, which I think got scrapped because I don't think this one was ever inspired from his own life story, and because this project was hinted at by Jennifer Lee in January 2022, way before Estrada left Disney:
Lee has a writing project of her own, though she won’t divulge any details about it.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235076391/

Or maybe they aren't working on it because of the tension between them and Lee/Buck that was apparent on Into the Unknown.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:28 amI agree, I'm not a fan of his easter eggs comment too. What I'm imagining is that the star will take Asha on a journey and they'll see how the stars have helped previous Disney characters or whatever.
That sounds absolutely dreadful. I hope they do something more subtle than that.
Farerb wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:28 amThinking about this premise even more, isn't the wishing star in Pinocchio literally the Blue Fairy? How does she fit into all of this?
Do you really think they are going to let pesky things like canon and facts get in the way of their brilliant concept? :roll: Maybe she'll be the mother to all the stars. :lol: In all seriousness, I don't think she's going to figure in this in any way.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Farerb wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:51 amI'm really glad they at least revealed the character design and we don't have to wait until two months before the film is released, hoping there's some merchandise leak and we get to know the characters through some ugly toys.
Hahaha! That was funny!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It looks like we are finally going to have a villain again! Here's hoping they follow through with it this time. Raya was going to have a villain too until it didn't.
They’ll face a villain described as one of most formidable foes in Disney history.
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/09/wish-disne ... 235113523/