Wish

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Re: Wish

Post by Mooky »

Sotiris wrote:
Farerb wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:51 amHe says "one of the most formidable foes in Disney history" which I'm not sure if he means that she's up against one of the foes in previous films (like D82 said) or a foe they think we'll be one of the most formidable (like they thought Splat will be an iconic sidekick :roll: ).
It's probably the latter. I still have my doubts whether there will be an actual villain here and not some generic evil power that's threatening the kingdom or an antagonist who's misunderstood and ultimately redeemed.
With Disney's penchant for twists and villains-that-are-not-villains, what are the odds of Asha herself, or rather a variant of her, being the villain? Maybe one that gave up wishing on stars and became jaded and disillusioned. What is the most formidable foe one can face if not themselves, and it would play into the trope of 'the greatest battle is the one with yourself'. Too Lightyear/Meet the Robinsons-ish?

Oh, and Happy New Year, fellow forum members! :party: :wave:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Mooky wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:05 amToo Lightyear/Meet the Robinsons-ish?
Yeah, it's too similar and too recent. Besides, that's more of a trope of sci-fi than fantasy. In any case, I expect the "most formidable foe" to turn out to be something boring and underwhelming. I hope I'm wrong.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Mooky wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:05 am What is the most formidable foe one can face if not themselves, and it would play into the trope of 'the greatest battle is the one with yourself'. Too Lightyear/Meet the Robinsons-ish?
Don't forget Ralph Breaks the Internet.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I only now noticed this:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I wouldn't put too much stock on that remark. Every "princess" film since Tangled has been labeled as such.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

^^ I swear, they've been using this same tired phrase since The Princess and the Frog, just retire it already. Why can't they just say, "hey, we have a great, new movie here that we believe can stand alongside any other Disney classic that you love", instead of hyping it up this way, or worse, disparaging old movies to prop up new ones (looking at you, live-action remakes).
farerb wrote:Don't forget Ralph Breaks the Internet.
I had that abomination purged out of my mind the minute I was done watching it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

To be fair, I don't think that line was by Disney but by the magazine who published the article.
Sotiris wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:21 am When it's a combination of places, it's usually based on countries that are in close proximity and have many cultural similarities. That doesn't seem to be the case here. All other characters so far have Spanish-sounding names and the architecture of the place looks European too. The only one who stands out is Asha. Her name, hairstyle, and outfit don't read European at all. I suppose we need to see what the other characters look like first, but I was thinking maybe Asha is an immigrant or the child of immigrants or has one parent who came from outside the Kingdom of Rosas. That way Asha could be biracial, the same way her voice actress is. I think that would make more sense than having a setting that's a hodgepodge of various disparate cultures with no rhyme or reason to it.
That's an interesting theory that would indeed explain many things. However, I'm more inclined to believe it's actually a hodgepodge of different cultures. I hope you're right, though.
Farerb wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:51 amHe says "one of the most formidable foes in Disney history" which I'm not sure if he means that she's up against one of the foes in previous films (like D82 said) or a foe they think we'll be one of the most formidable (like they thought Splat will be an iconic sidekick :roll: ).
It could mean both things, but in the video I posted Jennifer Lee also stresses that this is an original film with original characters, so perhaps the villain is a new character after all.
Sotiris wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:21 am It's probably the latter. I still have my doubts whether there will be an actual villain here and not some generic evil power that's threatening the kingdom or an antagonist who's misunderstood and ultimately redeemed.
I think there will be a villain like they said, but they haven't promised it'll be a traditional one. I could see it being redeemed by the end.
Mooky wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:05 am Oh, and Happy New Year, fellow forum members! :party: :wave:
Happy new year to you too!
Sotiris wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:14 am Yeah, it's too similar and too recent. Besides, that's more of a trope of sci-fi than fantasy. In any case, I expect the "most formidable foe" to turn out to be something boring and underwhelming. I hope I'm wrong.
That was also my first thought; that it's too recent. But Disney made many twist villains in a row, so who knows. I agree that's more common in sci-fi films, though.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I wonder what kind of voice Alan Tudyk plans to do, cause if he sounds like King Candy / Duke of Weselton throughout the film, it'll be annoying and distracting.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I can see the Snow White design reference now they've mentioned it. Something about that image reminds me of the opening scene of SW with SW at the well and on the balcony.

To what I had said last page about the villain if the villain might end up interacting with old villains momentarily at some point since Asha is going through "worlds"--I almost wonder if the villain could be something like Chaos in the final arc of Sailor Moon, as far as being a vague (but personified) "Darkness" that is "the source of all the villains" across the various universes?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Farerb wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:19 am I wonder what kind of voice Alan Tudyk plans to do, cause if he sounds like King Candy / Duke of Weselton throughout the film, it'll be annoying and distracting.
Having seen the animation test at D23, I don't feel like he sounds like either of those.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

So the film is going to be stylished CGI after all, huh? Well, it`s notable how a decade after Tangled was rumored to be in that style (and ensuring that Princess movies will be steeped in CGI, since audiences want them to be that), Disney will actually go through with that style. But I still hope that the look of the film will be appealing, no matter what. Sure, it would`ve been preferrable if the look of Wish actually looked like hand drawn, but I highly doubt that it will.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:15 am So the film is going to be stylished CGI after all, huh? Well, it`s notable how a decade after Tangled was rumored to be in that style (and ensuring that Princess movies will be steeped in CGI, since audiences want them to be that), Disney will actually go through with that style. But I still hope that the look of the film will be appealing, no matter what. Sure, it would`ve been preferrable if the look of Wish actually looked like hand drawn, but I highly doubt that it will.
Well, there's still the Tiana series that may be hand-drawn thanks to a year-long delay, despite and regardless of other users not believing that.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

If it makes you feel better, D23ExpoVisitor25, if the film does turn out to be a multiverse fanfic, then I think that the characters Asha will have interaction with will be hand drawn animated if their movie was originally hand drawn too.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:05 am If it makes you feel better, D23ExpoVisitor25, if the film does turn out to be a multiverse fanfic, then I think that the characters Asha will have interaction with will be hand drawn animated if their movie was originally hand drawn too.
Wouldn't it be great to see WInnie the Pooh interact with Asha and bring Jim Cummings back into Disney animation? Like that would be the moment that would make me shed tears of joy in the movie as I felt Winnie the Pooh was a better character for the mascot of Disney instead of Mickey Mouse.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:13 am Wouldn't it be great to see WInnie the Pooh interact with Asha and bring Jim Cummings back into Disney animation? Like that would be the moment that would make me shed tears of joy in the movie as I felt Winnie the Pooh was a better character for the mascot of Disney instead of Mickey Mouse.
Perhaps we will, I don't think they'll bring all the characters, just the iconic ones and I do think Winnie the Pooh is iconic.

Others we might see are Mickey and his friends, all of the Princesses including Frozen, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Bambi, the Dalmatians, Aladdin (don't know if Genie though cause no Robin Williams :( ), Simba, Lilo and Stitch, etc...
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Farerb wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:20 am
D23ExpoVisitor25 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:13 am Wouldn't it be great to see WInnie the Pooh interact with Asha and bring Jim Cummings back into Disney animation? Like that would be the moment that would make me shed tears of joy in the movie as I felt Winnie the Pooh was a better character for the mascot of Disney instead of Mickey Mouse.
Perhaps we will, I don't think they'll bring all the characters, just the iconic ones and I do think Winnie the Pooh is iconic.

Others we might see are Mickey and his friends, all of the Princesses including Frozen, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Bambi, the Dalmatians, Aladdin (don't know if Genie though cause no Robin Williams :( ), Simba, Lilo and Stitch, etc...
I'd love to see Mickey again.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:21 am
D82 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:14 pmThe fact that that artist doesn't know what country the movie is inspired by I think is another indication it's not set in a specific place but a combination of several of them.
When it's a combination of places, it's usually based on countries that are in close proximity and have many cultural similarities. That doesn't seem to be the case here. All other characters so far have Spanish-sounding names and the architecture of the place looks European too. The only one who stands out is Asha. Her name, hairstyle, and outfit don't read European at all. I suppose we need to see what the other characters look like first, but I was thinking maybe Asha is an immigrant or the child of immigrants or has one parent who came from outside the Kingdom of Rosas. That way Asha could be biracial, the same way her voice actress is. I think that would make more sense than having a setting that's a hodgepodge of various disparate cultures with no rhyme or reason to it.
It's probably the latter. I still have my doubts whether there will be an actual villain here and not some generic evil power that's threatening the kingdom or an antagonist who's misunderstood and ultimately redeemed.
Thinking about it, I think it's likely that Asha may really be an immigrant and there are probably more (her family, her community)...

And they can have a White king, who wants to deport each and every one of them, as the villain. That way they won't have to redeem him by the end of the movie.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

^^
Sounds like a REAL box office winner!
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

carolinakid wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:27 am ^^
Sounds like a REAL box office winner!
Let's hope it can perform like Frozen and still make a billion without China and Russia, if the rumors are true of Asha and Star being LGBTQ and non-binary characters, should the movie be good, which I have no reason to doubt it will be given the people behind Frozen plus some new filmmakers are working on it.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Interesting that they said the kingdom will be called simply Rosas rather than "Kingdom of Rosas." It sounds weird as simply "Rosas (Flowers)." :?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"