Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration

Post by Sotiris »

In honor of the 30th anniversary of the beloved Disney animated classic and its Academy Award nomination for Best Picture, The Wonderful World of Disney and ABC are thrilled to present “Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration.” This two-hour animated and live-action blended special will pay tribute to the original Disney Animation’s “Beauty and the Beast” and its legacy by showcasing the fan-favorite movie, along with new memorable musical performances, taking viewers on a magical adventure through the eyes of Belle. “Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration” airs Thursday, Dec. 15 (8:00-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC, and will be available the next day on Disney+. The esteemed Jon M. Chu (“Crazy Rich Asians”), who is currently in an overall deal with Disney Television Studios, is set to executive produce with Hamish Hamilton set to direct. The talented cast, whose performances will be seamlessly woven through the original feature film, will be announced at a later date.

The special presentation includes live never-before-seen musical performances and features brand-new sets and breathtaking costumes inspired by the classic story. Each performance is created to pay homage while also adding to the iconic story for viewers at home. Songs from the original animated classic will be performed in front of a live audience at Disney Studios.

“‘Beauty and the Beast’ is a timeless story and we’re so fortunate to work with creative mastermind Jon M. Chu and veteran director Hamish Hamilton to bring a modern twist to this beloved classic for an unforgettable night of Disney magic,” said Craig Erwich, president, Hulu Originals and ABC Entertainment. “Stacked with unforgettable performances, this will be a must-see special event for fans of the original and for the new generation being introduced to this cherished tale.”

“‘Beauty and the Beast’ was always a game-changing cinematic experience for me,” said executive producer Jon M. Chu. “When the animated movie came out, I watched it multiple times in the first weekend. It showed me the outer limits of what animated artists and storytellers could achieve, so the fact that I get to executive produce a tribute to all the creatives that made this masterpiece through our Electric Somewhere company is a dream I didn’t even think was possible. With world-class creatives and talent to reinterpret the classic musical numbers (with a few surprises), I can’t wait for the audiences, in person and at home, to experience what we have in store for them. It’s a true celebration of creativity.”
Source: https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelea ... ay-dec-15/
Five-time Grammy and Academy Award-winning singer-songwriter H.E.R. can now add Disney princess to her robust resume as she transforms into Belle for ABC’s upcoming animated and live-action blended special, “Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration.” The acclaimed R&B singer will lead audiences through the world of Belle with never-before-seen musical performances celebrating and paying homage to the beloved tale. Presented by The Wonderful World of Disney, the two-hour reimagining of the classic story will be taped in front of a live audience at Disney Studios and will air Thursday, Dec. 15 (8:00-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC and on Disney+ the next day.

As previously announced, Jon M. Chu will executive produce the special, with Hamish Hamilton set to direct. H.E.R.’s casting marks the first time an Afro Filipina woman will play the role of Belle on screens. The rest of the talented cast, whose performances will be seamlessly woven through the original feature film, will be announced at a later date.

“I can’t believe I get to be a part of the ‘Beauty and the Beast’ legacy. The world will see a Black and Filipino Belle!” said H.E.R. “I have always wanted to be a Disney princess, and I get to work with two wonderful directors Hamish Hamilton and my favorite, Jon M. Chu. It is very surreal and I couldn’t be more grateful.”

“With her obvious extraordinary talent and stage presence, H.E.R. is the perfect embodiment of our Belle and we are thrilled for audiences to see her in this celebration of creativity,” says Chu. “We were both influenced as storytellers by the original animated movie, so it’s very exciting to collaborate together to honor the artistry of that timeless classic while also inspiring a whole new generation of creators.”

“Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration” is produced by Done+Dusted in association with Walt Disney Television Alternative and Electric Somewhere. Executive producers are Jon M. Chu, Caitlin Foito, Hamish Hamilton, Raj Kapoor, Richard Kraft and Katy Mullan. Hamish Hamilton will serve as director. H.E.R. serves as a producer.
Source: https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelea ... n-special/
Tony-, Emmy- and Granmy-nominated artist Josh Groban, who previously recorded a song for the 2017 “Beauty and the Beast” live-action movie, will play the baneful Beast. Tony- and Grammy-nominated acclaimed Broadway star Joshua Henry has been tapped to play antagonist Gaston, while EGOT winner and legend Rita Moreno will serve as the night’s narrator, taking viewers on a journey through the classic enchanted tale. Presented by The Wonderful World of Disney, the highly anticipated two-hour reimagining of the beloved story of “Beauty and the Beast” will be taped in front of a live audience at Disney Studios and will air Thursday, Dec. 15 (8:00-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC and on Disney+ the next day.
Source: https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelea ... n-special/
ABC announced six additional talented performers joining the highly anticipated animated and live-action blended special, “Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration.” Celebrated comedian and Emmy Award-winning actor Martin Short has been tapped to play Lumière; Tony Award winner David Alan Grier will play Cogsworth; Rizwan Manji joins the cast as Gaston’s loyal sidekick, LeFou; and Jon Jon Briones will play Belle’s loving father, Maurice. Viewers are also in for a major treat as five-time GRAMMY Award winner and top-selling female country pop artist Shania Twain is joined by rising star Leo Abelo Perry, playing everyone’s favorite mother-son duo, Mrs. Potts and Chip.
Source: https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelea ... nia-twain/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I hope H.E.R. being involved with this might make it more likely she could end up working on Hercules as one of the Muses. She was one of the women JHUD suggested as who would be perfect, and I agree.

I'm curious who'll they get to fill Lansbury's and Orbach's roles more than Belle though. I suppose they could include "Home" to give H.E.R. more to sing though, sort of the way they included "If Only" (in duet form) for the TLM Live show. You know they'll do this for Aladdin and The Lion King eventually, too, now they're making it a recurring thing.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

ABC’s ‘Beauty and the Beast’ Special Casts Josh Groban, Rita Moreno and Joshua Henry
https://variety.com/2022/artisans/news/ ... 235363562/
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I'm curious if Disney will re-record the score, like they did with The Little Mermaid's live presentation.
Disney's Divinity

Josh Groban!!!! :pink: :pink: :pink:

Don't know the other actor, but Rita Moreno will be a good host / narrator. Too bad she couldn't have played Mrs. Potts.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

More casting news.

‘Beauty and the Beast’ TV Special Casts David Alan Grier as Fan-Favorite Character
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/beau ... 235376987/

Martin Short and Shania Twain in Final Talks to Join ‘Beauty and the Beast’ TV Special
https://variety.com/2022/tv/columns/mar ... 235379916/

Martin Short, Shania Twain, David Alan Grier Confirmed For ABC’s ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Special; Rizwan Manji, More Cast
https://deadline.com/2022/10/martin-sho ... 235146896/
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I love Rita Moreno, she's so funny. I remember seeing her in The Nanny (one episode, but she was hilarious) and in Happily Divorced (starring role). I guess Fran Drescher was a big fan as well. :D
Disney's Divinity

Shania Twain was on The Jennifer Hudson Show yesterday and said she'll be playing Mrs. Potts in the live show, which I assume means this? Twain is a big name, and I am a fan, still... That's a choice. They should've just brought back Celine Dion or Audra McDonald even, it would've been more interesting to hear Celine sing a solo version arranged more like it is in-film than the End Credits version or to get a full version from McDonald.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Is Shania Twain going to be a part of this? :o That`s surprising. I`ve never seen her doing something Disney before.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I agree with all of Divinity's last post. Celine as Mrs. Potts would be so cute, and Audra could totally play the character, too, and her singing would be amazing.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Is THAT supposed to replace the dress?! Cheeses Crust.

It's as if they asked themselves "how do we make something uglier than Emma Watson's dress?".
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Well, this is just like the Beauty and the Beast concert at the Hollywood Bowl. I never expected the performers to dress up like the characters.
Disney's Divinity

I think pantsuits are very pretty, personally, but I think it's weird to make a character who wears a dress wear a pantsuit? I mean, if they could figure out how to give Cravalho a tail and Queen Latifah tentacles, a dress (even a poor one) should not be hard.... Between that and Shania Twain singing "Beauty and the Beast," I'd say it's a safe bet that Josh Groban's going to be the only good thing about this, although H.E.R. might at least sound good even if she'll be dressed ridiculously. Shania would've been good as the Featherduster (and have her sing as part of the chorus of people in "Be Our Guest"). I would've rather Rita Moreno played Mrs. Potts than her and Shania narrate instead, just sayin'.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The soundtrack is already available to pre-save and it will be out on December 15, 2022.

Hear H.E.R. as Belle and Josh Groban as The Beast for First Time in 'Beauty and the Beast' Anniversary Special
https://people.com/tv/her-josh-groban-b ... st-listen/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

No thanks...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

There are also some costume sketches in this article: https://www.thewrap.com/abc-beauty-and- ... her-belle/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. So it will be costumed. The costumes....you know, I think parts of the costumes are good, but some parts suck. So overall I have to say they suck. Sorry.