Elemental

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Pixar's Elemental

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm glad it's a romance for a change! More like TP&TF and Tangled! I do like the female character's design.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Highlights and full recording (Part 1/Part 2) of the Elemental presentation (except the exclusive stuff).
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:57 pm First look and poster:
According to Almanaque Disney, that's a still from the actual movie. I'm surprised by that. It totally looks like concept art to me!

Sotiris wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:50 pm I like the poster and the tagline and I'm glad it's is a love story. It's a new element (no pun intended) for Pixar.
:lol: Yeah, the only other Pixar movie mainly centered on romance is WALL·E. I like the poster too and I find the story a bit more interesting now.

Sotiris wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:50 pm I got that Ember is supposed to be Asian based on the design, but Wade doesn't read Black to me.
Maybe the nose is inspired by Black people's features? But if they tried to make him look Black, it's not too evident. I'm a bit surprised by that.

Some more stuff from D23:

• Poster given out to attendees of the Disney Studios panel:

Source: https://twitter.com/danthepixarfan/stat ... 9056337920

• Lithograph:

Source: https://twitter.com/heartdisney10/statu ... 9711808513

• Pins:

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyPinsBlog/stat ... 7336340481

• A video on display at the Pixar booth shows a lot more concept art, including the pieces below. The city looks a lot like Zootopia to me. The drawings also give us an idea of what the characters representing each element will look like:

PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This almost seems like a parody of a PIXAR film. I mean, I'm sure it will be entertaining, but I'm not that excited about this.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Not that it is relevant for the movie, but I just remembered that water is the finished result of a chemical process, while fire is an ongoing chemical process. Which mean water is more stable and calm, unlike fire.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sotiris wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:50 pmI got that Ember is supposed to be Asian based on the design, but Wade doesn't read Black to me.
Nor me, but now that I know it I can see that the design harmonises with his human racial analogue, somehow.

Why do I get Joe Ranft vibes from him? :scratch:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Almanaque Disney reports that recent trademark applications filed by Disney reveal the full names of the two protagonists are Ember Lumen and Wade Ripple.

Other names trademarked by Disney are "Asha" from WDAS' upcoming film Wish or "Olga Solis" from Pixar's Elio, but also some we don't know what movie they could be from like "General Grigon", "Ambassador Grigon", "Glordon" or "OOOOO". Grigon is probably from Elio too since we know there are ambassadors in that movie, and maybe the other two as well, as they're strange names and could belong to the aliens in that film, but we can't know for sure.

Someone also noticed Wade's full name can be spotted in the first official look released by Pixar. Wade's ID badge also reveals he's an inspector and the name of the city is Element City.

Source: https://twitter.com/bhomaas2/status/1569080516552572929
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

"Element City" sounds as creative as "Bug City" from A Bug's Life.
Disney's Divinity

Apparently the trailer for this will be coming within the week.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Really hope Elemental stays theatrical as Pete Doctor, at D23, and most recently Bob Chapek during Disney's fourth quarter earnings call of 2022 said it would be.
Disney's Divinity

It's kind of cute. I think it'll be okay, even if its mostly a rehash of things done 100X over at this point. At least there will be a romance. I think I'll like the fire main character, from the way they animated her walking, the hoodie, and the music (which I assume is supposed to channel the vibe of the character). The weakest part of the trailer was actually when they spoke at the end. :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The teaser reminded me a lot of Zootopia, but here it's a romantic relationship instead of a friendship, so it'll probably be different enough. I'm still not too excited for it, but it could be interesting. As for the poster, I think it's not bad. I like how one side mimics the other but in an opposite way, like Amber's flames going up and Wade's drops going down.

Here are some new articles:

Peter Sohn Breaks Down Ember and Wade’s Meet-Cute in Elemental
https://d23.com/peter-sohn-breaks-down- ... elemental/

Elemental director Peter Sohn breaks down the fantastical trailer for Pixar's latest
https://www.gamesradar.com/elemental-tr ... ew-disney/

‘Elemental’ Director Peter Sohn on His Personal Connection to the Pixar Film, Honoring His Late Parents
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235264331/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, it was a fine teaser. Despite how the song felt jarringly out of place with the tone of the teaser. The setting reminded me of Monsters Inc. And the characters designs from Inside Out. I liked Ember`s design and animation, since she had a hand drawn-like style to her. I liked the designs of the rest of the characters, too.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Pixar's Elemental director on Avatar comparisons: 'We're so different from it'
https://ew.com/movies/pixar-elemental-a ... mparisons/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Two clips from the film were shown at the CCXP Expo, Brazil's equivalent of Comic-Con:
Pixar's upcoming film Elemental had two previously unseen scenes shown on the Thunder Stage by Cinemark Club at CCXP22. In the scenes, we see new interactions between the main characters Ember and Wade.

In the first scene, Ember and Wade are walking together, when she touches a colored mineral, it changes color and surprises Wade. Faced with his positive reaction, she makes a more extensive demonstration of her ability and goes leaping over the barrier of minerals surrounding the lake at the edge of Elemental City. She turns every color, including half green and half pink.

Wade then decides to show what makes him different and jumps towards the lake. At first he just walks on water, but then he speeds up and navigates the lake like a jet ski. In the process, a beautiful rainbow appears and Ember smiles, happy.

Walking home, happy with what seems to have been a great date, she passes under a bridge. As she walks, a train passes over the bridge and spurts water out. She is tempted to touch the water, but the wave dissipates and she faces her house.

In the second, Wade takes Ember to watch a basketball game, where all the athletes are clouds. One of Wade's friends is on the court, but he is not performing very well. "He's been playing poorly since his mother got sick," Wade explained. To support him, Wade climbs to the edge of the box and yells: WE LOVE YOU! The fans join in the cry and the whole stadium declares its love. In the excitement of the moment, Wade starts a wave with all the water creatures, which immediately turns into a wave. Ember is at the other end of the wave and protects herself with an umbrella. But she is not bothered. She is delighted with Wade's posture.

Her shouts have had an effect, and her friend inflates, joining all the other clouds, becomes a giant, and not only makes the basket, but drives the ball across the board.
Source: https://www.omelete.com.br/ccxp/elementos-ccxp-22
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The art book will be released on May 16 2023.
Disney's Divinity

D82 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:53 pm
In the first scene, Ember and Wade are walking together, when she touches a colored mineral, it changes color and surprises Wade. Faced with his positive reaction, she makes a more extensive demonstration of her ability and goes leaping over the barrier of minerals surrounding the lake at the edge of Elemental City. She turns every color, including half green and half pink.

Wade then decides to show what makes him different and jumps towards the lake. At first he just walks on water, but then he speeds up and navigates the lake like a jet ski. In the process, a beautiful rainbow appears and Ember smiles, happy.
Source: https://www.omelete.com.br/ccxp/elementos-ccxp-22
This part sounds really weak to me... If they're all living in a world of only elements, wouldn't they know how elements work? And I think I said it in the past, I'm not sure, but "Element City" is a dumb name to me. Sort of like if we had a place called "People Town" or "Human Avenue" or something. :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New images from an event in Singapore titled "Disney Content Showcase APAC 2022". The first two seem to be from the clips shown at the Brazilian expo, while the third one shows what the districts of each element look like.

Source: https://twitter.com/TGVCinemas/status/1 ... 1745277952

Source: https://twitter.com/mjfelipe/status/1597839131392225280

Source: https://twitter.com/GSCinemas/status/15 ... 3201314816

Here are also test footage of Ember and Wade, a piece of concept art, other images from the presentation, a video of it, and an interview with Peter Sohn.

Disney's Divinity wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:11 pm This part sounds really weak to me... If they're all living in a world of only elements, wouldn't they know how elements work?
They probably should, although apparently the inspiration for the different elements are the people from different ethnicities living in a big city. Each of them live in their own district and I guess don't have too much contact with the other elements. That's how I suppose they'll explain them not knowing more about each other's abilities.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:11 pm And I think I said it in the past, I'm not sure, but "Element City" is a dumb name to me. Sort of like if we had a place called "People Town" or "Human Avenue" or something. :lol:
Well, it's true it's a bit dumb. I was thinking "what else could they have named it?", but Zootopia, for example, was a clever name and still included something related to animals in it, so they probably could have come up with a better name for this city.